Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2002, 07:19 AM   #1
cnjmorris

Default Anyone here a doctor?

I need a second opinion, off the record, just some info from someone who would know.

If you are a diabetic the odds are I am not looking for your input, I am looking for a more objective opinion. I only say that because I get things like diabets who say "I eat all I want and my sugar is fine."

Anyay, Here goes:

Last Thursday I went into my doctors office for a check up. I knew I had diabetes based on all my symptoms. The doctor took my blood sugar level and confirmed my guess. My blood sugar was 274 after 10 hours fasting.

She immediately sent me to the hospital for testing (thyroid, etc). She put me on Amaryl 2mg.

I kept a record of my blood sugar over the weekend and by monday my numbers never got below 208 and went as high as 350. She informed me I was going to be going on Lantus (think thats the name) short term to get my blood sugar down. She said she hoped I would be off it soon.

She also perscribed Glucophage 500 mg, Altace 5mg, and Lipitor 10mg. She gave me a persciption for needles and for lantus.

I filled the perscription but when people asked me and I told them what was up the general consensus was that she should give the oral medication a month to work, maybe two months. I had already lost 6 pounds since last visit just by adjusting diet and the opinion was that with diet and excercise the odds are I won't need the insulin in a month.

The 5 days I have been on Amaryl hasn't seemed to help, and my sugars seem to be higher in the morning than when I go to bed at night.

Soo... do you think that she is jumping the gun perscribing insulin after less than a week of treatment or do you think it is a good way to get my sugar down quickly and then use other medications to keep it there?

Note: I hadn't seen a doctor in 5 years and we both believe I have had undiagnosed diabetes for 3 years or so. My h1ac (or whatever it is called) tested at 12.2%

Please respond ASAP as I have an appointment at 4:45 today that I need to cancel or go to.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:24 AM   #2
Aoladari Raveynfyre

If your blood sugar is that high I'm surprised you haven't had more problems than what you are hinting at.

I think (note: I'm not a medical professional) that what she is doing is right ot get things under control (short term needles and insulin, and long term oral meds). That sugar level is VERY high.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:37 AM   #3
Qildaare

Speaking from experience, it seems your doctor knows best. I take oral medication and it's slow going to get your a1c down that way. When I was pregnant tho, since I could not take the oral medication, I had to take insulin, a very little amount and it made my a1c go down very fast, in the 5.something. Since your a1c is 12.2, she is taking drastic measures to get it down as quick as possible and insulin will be able to do that even in a little amount.

I didnt see the date on the post. Hopefully you did see your doctor. Also good luck to you, I wish they would find a permanent cure for this disease. I heard on the news that there will be one soon for the Type 1 (insulin dependent), lets hope they pull through.

Old 10-29-2002, 08:50 AM   #4
bhupindar

I am not a doctor but am diabetic (Type II)... so your milage may vary with the following and it is not medical advice...

OMFG Your sugar levels are insanely high! They need to be between 90-140...

See the doctor, change your diet, start walking. This is a lifetime thing to control, it will take longer than a week...

When do you eat dinner? What do you eat? Carbs = sugar in the end... processed foods are bad... fast food is bad...

Think of it this way... if you don't work this right you will go blind (yes, one of the results of untreated diabetes is blindness.. or VERY narrow vision) and if that happens you won't be able to look at a CRT... meaning no EQ...

Take care of yourself... see the doctor
Old 10-29-2002, 09:13 AM   #5
Emberfier

I'm not a doctor. I am however a Type I diabetic.

I'll weigh in with the others here that you should probably go with the insulin for now and work on getting the sugar levels down. After a while, you can try working back to the oral meds and see if you can't keep them down.

Did your doctor tell you that the weight loss might actually be a symptom of the diabetes? If you have been excessively thirsty recently what might be happening is your body is burning fat rather than the sugars that it uses for common fuel. The excessive thirst is due to the fact that the body can't do anything with the sugars and so it flushes them. (When I was first diagnosed, I was 18. I went from 165# or so to 145# or so over the course of a month - I'm 6'0" tall.) My sugars were consistently > 300 most likely, and I was deathly thirsty for that time period. When I finally went to the doctor I went to insulin directly.)

Any Diabetic that tells you the eat "all the they want" and they're fine is either eating celery or not as in control of their sugars as they claim to be.

-Khaav

Old 10-29-2002, 09:25 AM   #6
cnjmorris

I have been aware of being diabetic for 6 months minimum, I just couldn't see a doctor until I had insurance. I wasn't going to be diagnosed with a lifetime disease with no health coverage.

So as soon as I got coverage I made an appointment.

Insanely thirsty was one of my first clues.. couldn't drink enough. I drank 4-6 liters of soda (diet) a day ,on top of about an equal ammount of water.

Doctor actually said I was dehydrated and she would have hospitalized me immediately if it wasn't for a few "safe" levels in my blood.

Anyway, the people I talked to (with the exception of a pharmacist) all based their opinion of insulin on an older practice of insulin where most doctors feel once you get on insulin you stay on insulin. Newer practice has been that you can get off of it. Friends and family just didn't want me making what they viewed as a life decision with only a few days to base it on.

Anyway, I know the rest about diet and excercise. I am more of a do what you want and if you die then you die person. I got married 5 1/2 years ago, though, and that makes me a do what you have to to be there for them person. So, I went home Thursday and made a list and went shopping. I can live without most the stuff... but what hits hardest is how much I loved fresh fruit.

Oh well, I go in a few hours to start stomach piercings I guess. Got a second opinion and they told me they would have started me on Friday and not waited.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:38 AM   #7
bhupindar

Good Luck.. hang in there...

Undertstandable about the insulin concerns...

Old 10-29-2002, 09:40 AM   #8
Pidany

I am not a doctor but have a very long history of family diabetes on my mother's side, me being a less extreme case.
I found out about a year ago that I was diabetic. I too had intially blew it off and figured it was just being sick or dehydrated. When I finally went in I was placed on insulin right away, only for a week and a half. The only drawback was that not only did it reduce my blood sugar, but it reduced it to a point of being in the 30's in the late morning. In case you don't know what that does it makes you hypoglycemic... quite the extreme opposite end of diabetes. Once it was under control I too went on an oral med and to this day I remain pretty steady. Diet and exercise help but will never cure so you have to do as your doctor tells you.
I think it would be wise for you to follow the direction of your doctor but also to stress to them how you feel and what the long term plan is for what you are going to be doing.
Make a timeline or a journal of everything you eat, meds and blood sugar levels after eating. This will help your doctor in more ways than you could ever imagine.
Good luck hun.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:45 AM   #9
cnjmorris

I have written down everything I have eaten since Thursday and taken blood sugar either before every meal or after every meal (alternating days) and then at bedtime.

It's all in an excel spreadsheet for her. Changing wasn't the problem. Like I said I have felt sick for 3 or more years now, and I have known for a while. The concern before was insurance which I now have and it has already paid for the first 2 months fees (and more).

My only concern was that people told me insulin was drastic and I can't get off it once on.... which I have found is different than it used to be. I was told by several people now that insulin for 2 weeks is a great way to lower sugar quickly. That was all I needed to know.