Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2002, 07:32 PM   #1
Myrke

Default Looking for a guild, want honest opinions PLEASE

I've been around EQ for a long time and I am looking for a guild to call home. I've visited practically every webpage on the guild links list, but that doesn't tell me squat. I've asked around in-game but found that guildies are biased (and rightly so I suppose... it just hasn't helped me find a home. I'm looking for a guild that will provide me with plenty of grouping options for levels 36ish or 50ish. I'm not looking for a mega-raiding guild really (raids move too slow for my tastes) but a grouping guild that is a lot of fun. It can't be too small (small = not enough players to group up with most of the time) either. I'm a guild-oriented player who will give 110%, but I'm having trouble finding a home (I don't have any trouble getting into a guild, I just can't find a good fit). Does anyone have any serious ideas please? I throw myself on your mercy!

Grouping is a MUST for me. If your guild isn't into that, please don't tell me how great it is. I'm sure it's wonderful, it's just not what I'm looking for! lol

Myrke

Old 10-28-2002, 04:18 AM   #2
Nuzum Witch Doctor

Default How to pick the right guild

Look at the people you normally group with for starters, have they been around the same time as you and if so what guilds are they in.

Where do you hunt, which guild has a high presence there.

Basically, dont pick a guild based on what they can or can't do for you or how large it is, look at the people you normally play with and see which guilds they are in. Then, if you like those people find more of thier guildies and group with them.

So, first find people you like to play with then look into their guilds, I think the process you are going through is kind of backwards, making the guild fit the person is much harder than having the person fit the guild.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:54 AM   #3
Kidin

Default Re: How to pick the right guild

Hail,

I agree with Nuzum.

1. Find a guild that has members whose play time usually coincides with your own, so that your efforts are beneficial when it counts, and not when there are only 2 people in your guild online when you play. If you live on the Western US coast, a guild with mostly European players MAY not be a good choice for you. If you work second shift though, it might be a perfect fit...

2. Find a guild that shares your interests and morals. A high intensity raiding guild is a huge switch from a socially driven guild, or one that emphazises roleplaying or tradeskills, etc. If you are a 100% NBG type of person, a guild that uses a straight points or FFA loot system may not make you happy. A guild that is family oriented is much different than one that cybers in /gu. Is raid attendance mandatory, or voluntary? Things to think about.

3. Look for a guild that has members within your level range. If everyone else is 55+, and you are 30, you'll only be grouping with their alts (and probably not very frequently), which you may not care for.

4. Decide how dedicated to the game you really want to be. Many mid-level guilds are oriented to fast-tracking themselves to 50+. Others are content to be socially oriented and not care as much about levels, raids, or loot. Find one that fits your style of play.

5. Find out what Velious factions you want to be on and compare them with guilds to see if they have any requirements. (This is really minor, though it may require extra work on your part if you are +Dragons and your guild is +Giants...)

Good luck on your search!
Take care,
Old 10-28-2002, 05:18 AM   #4
Seanchan ActiveWorlds

Default Re: How to pick the right guild

Nuzum and Kidin have offered some very good advice about finding a guild. I would like to expand just a bit on Nuzum's suggestion to look around you at those with whom you are grouping. A strong group oriented guild will most likely be grouping with each other rather than having its members take part in pick-up groups. So if you look at just the members of your pick-up group, you will likely miss the very guild types you are seeking.

I can't remember the last time I took part in a pick-up group, it was so many months ago. After reading Nuzum's posting it has made me think more on that subject, so I might actually head to KC, ME, or UP and do a "54 Shammy LFG" shout, just to meet new people and to meet potential new members for my guild.

You might also consider taking part in a pick-up raid to one of the planes if you have a 46 or higher character. Guilds who are not strong enough to do the planes on their own will likely have members taking part in pick-ups. Also watch the postings on this forum and you can begin to see who the stuck up people are, who the rude people are, and who has the poorest reps. Make note of their guilds and that will give you a list of guilds to avoid.

Last of all, don't hesitate to contact someone you see online who is from a guild you might be interested in joining. If the person you come across is too busy to talk to you, hopefully they will refer you to another guild member. At least that too will begin to give you a better idea about various guilds, whether they are self-serving or willing to help strangers.

Good luck in your search. Finding just the right guild can be a blessing. Stumbling into a wrong guild can be a curse. You appear to be truly interested in finding a guild that fits your playing style, that is a good thing.

Old 10-28-2002, 11:25 AM   #5
gonades

Default heres a good one!

Join The Raenore! we are a great social guild, but we also raid. Ive been with them for about a week<maybe more> and they are really nice people to talk to while leveling. We all get those quiet groups or get bored of soloing and the zone wont talk to you back...8-) . Levels seem to range from 30ish up to 55 or so< my necro is 51 atm>

---
Did I say they were great people? lol

Acetate 51 Dark Elf Necromancer
Old 10-28-2002, 12:01 PM   #6
Kalrie Healingmirth

Default Re: heres a good one!

Dragons of Hope and High Council of Faydwer have (still... I think) a player base largely in the low 50's, with a large range of frequently-played alts at levels below that. Primarily grouping/social guilds with occasional raids.

Old 10-29-2002, 11:43 AM   #7
Sandain Swiftheal

Heart of Fenris are great too - primarily Australian and New Zealand based.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:09 PM   #8
Arnwolf Magnuson

(raids move too slow for my tastes)
I felt that way once...then I joined Da`Kor...and later was a founding member of Magister.

I've never felt that way again. Note...I'm not encouraging you to try for a raiding guild...just saying, not all raiding guilds are slow.

Arnwolf Magnuson