Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2002, 11:21 PM   #1
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Default Anyone in DFW need a roommate?

Serious question.

Looking to move out somewhere, relatively close to TI.

<-- married with two toddler girls

<-- wants broadband =P

<-- works graveyards

<-- goes outside to smoke

I'm serious. Me and Alethia and our little offsprings need to find a "proper" place to live. My credit and her credit aren't really flash enough to lease an apt. on our own just right now.

If you can help or know someone who can, that'd be cool.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:29 AM   #2
Tovectris

Default DFW

DFW is a very technology-centric town, and technology jobs are in the can at the moment. About 80% of the people I worked with there have either moved back in with Mom and Dad or moved elsewhere to find work. This has left the apartments in and around DFW way underpopulated and willing to give pretty much anyone a chance.

The Father of a friend of mine moved to Dallas a couple of months ago after declaring himself bankrupt for the second time, but only after running from the bank for a year to avoid his car being repossessed, giving the hospital the finger on about $100 grand worth of medical treatment, and screwing a lot of folks in Austin out of a lot of money. He had to try several places, but he found an apartment within a week out there. Can't remember the name of the complex, but it wasn't terrible and they gave him a great move-in special. What I'm trying to say though is that your credit can't possibly be bad enough to keep you from getting a place in the metroplex right now. It might take a bit more effort, but I'd guess that only 7 or 8 in 10 are actually checking credit right now with the slowdown.

The TI complex is awesome. I had contracts there on two occasions with two different employers in two different fields of study. I got damn near top clearance when I was doing electrical engineering work on their cleanroom facilities the first time, and pretty much zero clearance when I came in a few years later to assist in a DNS overhaul. Go figure.

Broadband is everywhere in DFW. You actually have to work hard NOT to get it.

Since you work graveyard you can seriously consider living a bit farther from the TI plant. Irving is a nice place to settle in if you're going to be there a while, as it's between Dallas and Ft. Worth, yet closer to the Dallas side. The drive to TI without traffic would be about 10-15 minutes from there. I spent 6 years there, up until early this year, so I'm a bit biased though =)

I also still know a buttload of good people out there that I might be able to put you in touch with. Some may be looking for roomies, others are real estate/apartment folks that I've worked with/for in the past, and still others are what you might call fixers, which might be exactly what you need under the circumstances. In any case, drop me a note at tovectris@yahoo.com and I'll see if I can get you hooked up with some folks out there.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:26 AM   #3
Elnots Sadnes

Default Re: DFW

Yall could move in with me in Houston!

Wait, bad idea, one bedroom apartment..
Old 10-25-2002, 08:32 AM   #4
Alethia or Celoria

Just a note on the graveyard shift. They are 12 hour GY shifts so he goes in during peek time when everyone is coming home and comes home when everyone is leaving for work. Our car is a POS until we can get a new one so we don't want to leave the general area around TI.

TIA on the help you've offered. I'm sure you'll be hearing from the hubby soon.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:26 AM   #5
Ulujain Ebonelphette

For sure Tovectris; I'll be in touch shortly.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:35 AM   #6
Caoilfhionn

Shoulda asked in July! Dammit. I moved, you could have moved right in.

Of course, it was in Denton, but had broadband, 4 bedrooms, 2 living areas, a fireplace, no pet restrictions, and I smoked! ;D

Sold now tho
Old 10-25-2002, 02:04 PM   #7
Dwarkarn

What the fvck is DFW?? Dallas Fort Worth?
Old 10-25-2002, 02:14 PM   #8
Darue Ivywood

yea dwark.

Old 10-25-2002, 02:46 PM   #9
Dwarkarn

Cool thanks =)
Old 10-25-2002, 03:05 PM   #10
Arnwolf Magnuson

Can someone scare up a dictionary on Americanism's and send it to Dwark? His constant outraged questions about our statements, colloquialisms, rural customers and abbreviations is grating.

It's not like Australian's don't have their own bastardized form of English with accompanying non-sensical slang.

Arnwolf
Old 10-25-2002, 03:45 PM   #11
Aishen

DFW confused the hell out of this west coaster, too. send me a copy of that there book.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:59 PM   #12
cnjmorris

DFW, not American... its texas.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:11 PM   #13
Elnots Sadnes

KDFW. great airport. Big.

KIAH. Better, only because I live there.

KDWH. Best, I fly out of there.

KLAF. I flew there once, so it's cool!

KCLL. I flew so many times there that it's a hall of famer.

Anyone have any other ones to know, when you figure out what I was saying? Muahaha
Old 10-25-2002, 08:34 PM   #14
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Do me a favor guys and don't derail this thread. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:15 PM   #15
Danzin

Elnots Being an Air Traffic Controller in the Air Force I know exactly what your little abbrivations mean and can find out what they all are...just don't have my work publication or compter to look them all up at right now... For those that are curious those are all Airports...the K in the begining signifies the United states and the 3 letters after it signify the Actual airport...For instance KDOV is where I'm at...where as ETAR would be Ramstein, Germany...the E signifing Europe...there are many others and way to many to list but if your curious and would like to learn more about this stuff...I'll be happy to full fill your curiousity

Danzin Wyndon...
55th Season Wood Elf Ranger
Guild Leader "Elder Blades"

PS sorry Elnot to ruin your fun...but there are some of us who have some Edjumaction the play Everquest...Peace
Old 10-27-2002, 01:14 AM   #16
Dwarkarn

Arnwolf what the fvck are you talking about? Take some Prozac it will help you.

Ulujain I am not derailing this thread just bumping it up to the top so more people will see it =)
Old 10-27-2002, 02:47 PM   #17
Kordail Kneebasher

Default ...

lol, move in with my roomates and I at UTD, were trying to push the lease up Waterview (Apartments) ass as hard as we can.

Eeeh but seriously now that I think about it, uh, well how soon do you need to move?

I was going to work out getting a duplex in the area to live in, rent out other half... while I goto UTD, but that'd be next year-ish. :/
Old 10-28-2002, 03:48 AM   #18
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Default Re: ...

Define next-yearish.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:15 AM   #19
Elnots Sadnes

Default Re: ...

Damn joo.. ATC is the bain of pilots everywhere!!

jk, we love you guys!!
Old 10-28-2002, 05:11 AM   #20
Kidin

Default Re: TI complex location?

Hail,

Haven't lived near DFW in 20 years... Where's the TI complex exactly? If it is on the Dallas side, I won't be able to help you much.

Good luck finding a new home! Does TI offer relocation assistance? How far are you relocating? (Where are you moving from?) If TI doesn't, I can send you some literature that may be able to make things easier on you, even if I can't offer specific housing assistance for the DFW area. Don't forget to start thinking ahead about school districts for the toddlers if this might be a permanent relocation. (Some of the public school districts in DFW are, ummm, how to say this right...mediocre.)

I did a 3,000+ mile cross-country move a year ago. Ugh. Three cars, 2 kids, 2 dogs, and about eleven thousand pounds of *shtuff*. Probably doing it again in 2 years too. :x

By the way, the inland sailing near DFW is amazing. Make sure you get out of the house and enjoy some of the beautiful lakes.

Take care,
Old 10-28-2002, 06:47 AM   #21
Kordail Kneebasher

Default ...

I'll have to speak with parents Ulujain, it was my dads idea to buy one and rent half then resell it after I graduate, have to see how serious he was about it.

Then of course you'd have to live with a 19 yo college student.

But yea, the TI complex... you mean the one in Plano or where? I don't get around much I lived in Plano though and I remember the TI building there, thats about it.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:25 PM   #22
ShawnaHellsbain

IF you are talking about the TI plant just off 635 then try just off the Skillman exit on Whitehurst drive. We lived there for a few months and it was reasonable.
West garland is just north and east of TI and has cheaper apartment rates but i'm not sure about their internet services.
Also, head north on Coit from 635 about 4 miles to McCallum, there are several complexes there also with reasonable rates but I don't know about how much space you want with 2 kids.

Shawna

Old 10-28-2002, 12:47 PM   #23
Altdzin

If you are going to be at the TI plant @ 75 & 635 you should try Mesquite. The drive to work wouldnt be that bad, just shoot up 635 and exit TI Blvd. The Mesquite ISD is great, especially in the southeast part of the city. I grew up in Mesquite and it really has grown, but has also become pretty decently priced if you find the right spot. I live in Garland right now, not too expensive but the ISD isn't quite as good as Mesquite. If you goto Plano or Richardson you are going to be closer to work but you will pay the price for it in terms of rent, very expensive up that way. Personally I would opt for the lower rent, longer drive (still within 20min of the plant) and better school district. Are you looking for apartments, or a house. Renting or buying? If you are looking to buy, I know someone I can put you in contact with to help you out. If you have any other questions look me up in game as Deviator.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:57 PM   #24
Ulujain Ebonelphette

I work in DMOS 5 which is on the corner of TI Boulevard and 635, the fab across the road from Air Liquide.

Altdzin, I lived in Mesquite when I first moved over here. You're right, it is convenient and a reasonably cool place, but I've taken a liking to the northern part of Dallas in the last few years. I was living in Carrollton before I ended up here.

I'm looking for any type of multiple room accommodation. A house would be cool as it give my kids a lot more playing space outside.

The ISD's aren't a concern to me yet as my oldest daughter is 2 years from going to school, but it is something we'll need to look into if we stay in DFW.

As for buying a place, I doubt at this stage any housing finance company could look at me with a straight face. But...you never know...

Old 10-29-2002, 10:07 AM   #25
Caoilfhionn

If you can stand the drive, seriously, Ulu, you should look towards Denton.

It's amazingly quiet. (I moved there FROM Carrollton after a 3am wakeup call to nude people in the parking lot of my apartment). There's little crime, and most everything you'd want is within reason. They're actually building out there atm.

It also tends to be a bit cheaper because it's a college town, but that's changing as DFW grows out towards it. There is a bit more flexibility with credit, again because of the colleges.

I don't know what your budget for housing is, but you might even be able to rent a house within reason. The ISD is decent, usually. There are some bad spots here and there, but if you plant yourself in the right spot, you can hit the great schools if you've a mind to look that far ahead.

Broadband is available via cable & DSL, whichever your preference is.

The biggest downturn is the drive. You could probably shoot across 121 tho. Dunno.