Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2002, 03:48 AM   #1
Vendrix

Default Does anyone else get this...

Just this past week I started getting an advertising popup window that seems to randomly appear in the center of my desktop. It's not a browser popup window(I have popup stopper installed), it's shown up when I've had nothing running on the pc... I also ran Ad-Aware to see if there were any odd programs working in the background - nothing.

It's really starting to piss me off, any suggestions other than "format your hard drive"?
Old 10-28-2002, 03:57 AM   #2
Trech Da ShadowKnight

Default .

Formatting your hard drive wouldnt do anything. Sounds like a net directed message. Only way to get rid of it is disable your messenger service. I assume youre running win2k or winxp? If so just go to your command line and type "net stop messenger". Some other things may be affected by this but prolly nothin to worry about. Plus if you need it you can always go type "net start messenger".
Old 10-28-2002, 04:03 AM   #3
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Sigh, I had a whole bunch of ideas typed out. EzBoard interpreted an arrow as HTML and gave me that mo'fukking HTML not allowed message.

Anyhow, if Trech's advice doesn't help, do the usual stuff; kill all startup programs located at
Code:
 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run- and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
When this thing pops up, bring up Task Manager and see what its executable is called. That way you can trace it and trash it.

Re-associate .js and .vbs files with Notepad or some other text editor.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:42 AM   #4
Mackentil Dapuller

More info on what Trech said.

www.techtv.com/screensave...42,00.html
Old 10-28-2002, 03:30 PM   #5
Colwynn

I've also started getting this Ven. Very annoying and Ad-Aware seems to have no effect on it.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:49 PM   #6
Solome the Enchanter

Step 1, Look for CNBABE.DLL on your msconfig and disable it, then go into add/remove, look for News.net and FirstLook Portal, uninstall them, then go into the registry, remove anything that says Firstlook, adaware will NOT remove these files and need to be done manually.

Solome Planeswalker
60 Phantasmist
RETIRED
Old 10-28-2002, 03:51 PM   #7
Jaidin

I havent investigated it yet but my first guess (after seeing it a few times) is that its based on the most recent messenger that comes with IE 6 and possibly SP3 for Win2k and SP1 for WinXP.

Check around annoyances.org and eldergeek.com, etc, Im sure somebody has written up a fix for this new popup add.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:57 PM   #8
patric

Default !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, fookin popup makes me wanna punch a whole through my desk.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:14 AM   #9
Dwarkarn

Default Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!

I seen something like that that I got for the first time ever this week, it was some type of pop up advert sent by MSN messenger, first time I ever seen it.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:25 AM   #10
Festivus

Man, I gotta update my FAQ on this crap to include disabling VBS stuff. Unless you REALLY need it, and most of you don't, it represents a security risk. I will add in a section on how to enable/disable.

BTW, if you were using a properly configured Mozilla you wouldn't have problems right now

Old 10-29-2002, 03:09 PM   #11
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Gotta agree with you Festivus. Mozilla owns when it comes to devnulling pop-ups and other lame attempts to keep a website solvent.

Plus, it has a greater support for things like character entities:
www.htmlhelp.com/referenc.../entities/
as well as perfect support for alpha transparencies in .png files. Neither of which mean jack to most people, but it shows an adherence to standards and recommendations.

Old 10-29-2002, 05:25 PM   #12
Jaidin

Would mozilla be able to stop this particular popup though? Its not opened by a website but looks to be a hole in messenger that allows for a custom popup window.

It just appears on your desktop, right in the middle, even if you have no other programs (or stupid savenow type tsr's) running.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:00 PM   #13
Martigan

It's a "Gay" Alarm, letting you know you should come out of the closet.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:01 PM   #14
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Using Mozilla wouldn't stop it, but would've prevented it from firing .NET/Messenger or whatever up to begin with.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:44 AM   #15
bumblefumble

Default Poss. help

Does it have an icon that rests in your quick launch or not? If there is one in your quick launch tool bar or after you delete it it comes back after a restart, I have the solution for you. If not, well, I'm without ideas.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:16 AM   #16
Keldarn

Default Re: Poss. help

Did the popup look like <a href="http://www.mircscripts.org/screenshots/5099.png" target="top">this</a>?

If so, it's from a new spam program that's out that uses the Messanger Service in Windows 2000/XP. Unless you're on a network where the administrators routinely send out network messages, just go into the service manager and disable the Messanger Service.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:06 PM   #17
Festivus

Yay, another item to add to my antispam post, thanks Keldarn/Blaesteil. I just read about that guys new popup thing that uses messenger they other day. Is NOTHING sacred? I hate spammers.

Oh, and using Mozilla might not have prevented this from getting onto your system (You would have been asked), but some of the other stuff in my other post would have prevented it.

Old 10-31-2002, 12:20 PM   #18
Ulujain Ebonelphette

That probably won't work Keldarn; the Messenger service, like the Help and Support service, turns itself from Disabled to Automatic at the first call for it. Dirty trick, IMHO.

www.blackviper.com has a bunch of swell tips and tricks to disabling most of Microsoft's daemon wannabes.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:11 PM   #19
Festivus

It can flip on a service if its set to "Manual". If it's set to "disabled" it can't (or rather, shouldn't). You could also set the service to log on as an account and give it an incorrect password for the account if you were totally paranoid. Thats a really nice link, gunna go explore

Old 11-04-2002, 03:25 AM   #20
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Some bumpage here...found a good thread relating to this exploit.

forums.postnuke.com/phpBB...php?t=2843