Inspiron 2650: Mobile Pentium®4 processor,1.7GHz-M,14.1 XGA
Memory: 256MB 200MHZ 2 DIMMS
Video Card: 32MB DDR 4X AGP NVIDIA GeForce2 Go™Vid
Hard Drive: 40GB Ultra ATA 5400 RPM Hard Drive
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
Fixed CD/DVD Drives: 24XCD-RW/DVD Combo Drive with Roxios Easy CD Creator®
1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-In Service
For $1450

Could you offer any input on these models? I NEVER go higher than 1024 x 768, and most likely on a laptop will go with 800 x 600. I want to be able to game some but this is mostly a work (school) machine.

I could get this a lot cheaper by downgrading the screen to normal 14.1 xga vs 15.0 sxga ($150) and without that I would probably drop down to the 1 year warranty (and save another $179).

I plan on insuring the laptop for theft and accident for $48 a year either way.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2002, 06:04 AM   #2
gonades

Default go bigger screen

go bigger screen<15> Inspiron 2650 with the 3 year Warranty. Laptops tend to have more problems than normal desktop PCs, so its always nice to have the longer warranty. If you have the extra money, dont go for the cheeper, its worth the extra weight/money.
--
hope this helps
Old 11-04-2002, 09:51 AM   #3
Igota

Default Re: go bigger screen

Yeah, I agree. NEVER go with the smaller screen on a labtop. And I would almost always get the extended waranty.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:42 AM   #4
Arnwolf Magnuson

outlet.us.dell.com/Dispat...2&tgtSeg=I

www.dell.com/outlet

Definitely has some of the best deals and you get the full warranty. Go with 3 years complete care, if you want to save money, go with return to depot instead of next business day.

I do portable support for Dell...and if I was getting one, I'd get one from the outlet.

Arnwolf Magnuson
Old 11-04-2002, 03:07 PM   #5
Seanchan ActiveWorlds

I use a Dell Inspiron 8000 to play EQ. It is my machine of choice until someday I decide to upgrade. No matter where I go, my EQ settings remain the same. I'm glad to see the GeForce vid card is being offered now. I have the ATI Mobility and it took a bit of work to make it work right with EQ. In my previous job, I regularly purchased laptops for my school district. On average, I would purchase about 100 to 200 laptops each year. I'm sold on the flexibility and quality of laptops, having continously carried one after another for fifteen years now (from the 8086 processor to the Pentium). In the mid 90's, I was sold on Gateways, but since the late 90's, I wouldn't buy anything but a Dell. Dell's reliablity and repair response is second to none.

You mentioned you would probably run your laptop at 800 X 600 resolution. I wouldn't recommend that - the display will not look very good. I fully agree with the other two concerning screen size. I have the 15 inch screen and with it I am satisfied without having to hook up an external monitor. If you go 14 inch, you will not be happy with the results.

You might consider bumping up your RAM if you can afford it, but 256 should be adequate for a while. The laptop probably has two slots for memory, so if you can get a single 256 meg DIMM, you can always add a second later on.

I like the glide path rather than a mouse, but I have gotten use to using an external mouse now - it does seem to work a bit better when playing EQ. External mice are cheap, so if you don't like it, you haven't wasted a lot of money.

If you have a specific place where you will set up your laptop to work and/or play, you might consider getting a docking port. You can attach a printer, that external mouse, and other peripherals and not have to hassle with hooking/unhooking all the cables everytime you transport it to and from two different locations.

External speakers will greatly enhance your sound effects if you are into such things. The speakers built into the laptop are functional but not awe inspiring.

Warranty, as already mentioned in the earlier postings, is a good thing to consider. I have always found the cheaper, three year, next business day to depot type of warranty is adequate. On the rare occasions I have had to ship laptops to be repaired, Dell is VERY good about getting it, fixing it, and shipping it back fast.

One last suggestion. Buy an extra battery and buy an extra AC power supply. I would typically keep a power supply plugged in at work and another plugged in at home, so that power was always available at either end. I have even carried a third power supply in my bag just to keep my faulty memory from interfering - just when you NEED power is usually when you forget to bring the power supply. Power supplies only cost $40, so it won't break the bank to get at least one more.

I think you will be very happy with your laptop. I have always enjoyed having my laptop available when I want it. I remember back in the early 90's, I would stop at a Flying J truck stop and jack in to the dining table phone jacks sitting in the truckers area to check email and such. I was an oddity back then, but today, everyone has them, even the big burly truckers. I have designed many a website while sitting on a campers stool in the middle of the Black Hills in South Dakota (having a cigarette lighter power adapter is useful in those circumstances). Of course I am a bit off of center to what is considered normal behavior, but aren't we all?

Good luck.