Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2002, 09:03 PM   #1
fire1222

Default Donnie Darko question(s)...

I rented this movie tonight, which resulted in me and three lady friends spending the evening watching it :O

I just had a few questions, maybe somebody can answer them...

1) What exactly is frank? is he a product of donnie's mind, a kid who somehow can follow donnie everywhere and scare the @#%$ out of him, or both?

2) What actually happened at the end? Was the entire movie just an imagined memory of donnie's? or was he sucked into some time portal that caused him to revert to an earlier time in which he died rather than surviving?

The four of us have been wondering what the hell happened...all i can say about it is that i'm gonna walk up to my calculus teacher in the middle of class on monday and start going "...27 days...12 hours...42 minutes...11 seconds..." and see if i can get him to scream like a little girl :O

Also gonna see frank in my nightmares and piss myself ;-;
Old 11-03-2002, 05:13 AM   #2
Ironskin

Its been a while since i seen it but i think...

1) he is the ghost of the guy that runs over the girl and then gets shot.

2) he goes through a time portal and then chooses to stay in his room and die knowing that if he leaves the same events would probably happen again and his friend would die.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:42 AM   #3
fire1222

if frank is the ghost of the guy that ran over gretchen and got shot, how can he haunt donnie before he is killed? or does this tie into the whole time portal bit
Old 11-03-2002, 08:30 AM   #4
Siilverain

Time really isn't linear, it's looped.

Donnie was seeing a future ghost. And since Donnie survived the jet engine, his destiny was preset and would eventually shoot said Frank and create said ghost -- he was able to see him.

However, and this could be the fatigue talking here, what doesn't really tie into my looped theory is he didn't survive the jet engine the 2nd time.

So perhaps it was the jet engine that was the catalyst.

If he survives...the chick dies & so does Frank, thus him being able to see the ghost. And the possibility of going back in time to correct said wrongs is possible.

If he dies...everyone else lives and no one knows of "what-could-have-been".
Old 11-03-2002, 09:01 AM   #5
Ironskin

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> Time really isn't linear, it's looped.[/quote]

Not so much that it is looped, just that it can loop.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> However, and this could be the fatigue talking here, what doesn't really tie into my looped theory is he didn't survive the jet engine the 2nd time.[/quote]

He went back in time. He chose to stay in his room and get killed, knowing what would probably happen if he didnt stay there. The ending was a little vague on how he knew, whether he could remember the future or he warned himself, etc...
Old 11-04-2002, 04:19 PM   #6
Dauragon N Sethius

Consult Darmu, he's the guru. But other then that, it's pretty much summed up here. He knew what he had to do, he knew how to go back in time and when he could do it. He chose to die rather then to live because look how many lives he ruined just by surviving.

He's your classic (albeit schizophrenic) noble hearted hero.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:15 PM   #7
Trillium

good movie....

To really understand whats happening you kinda have to check out the DVD for the extras(the directors commentary and ESPECIALLY the text from the fictional book "The Morality of Time Travel.") The book really explains whats happening with all the time travel and Frank but its kinda hard to read unless you zoom in on the text(book is found in the special features menu of the DVD).

It's been a while since i rented it but what i remember from the text is....

1. sometimes an alternate universe is created when an object falls through a wormhole.

2. this new universe( i think it was referred to as *the Divergent Universe*) is VERY unstable and will eventually destroy itself unless the object is sent back.

3. a *hero* is selected, by agents(Frank) unknown to him, to send the object back to its proper time/universe. the guiding agent appears to the hero through tormenting and confusing visions.

4. this *hero* is granted powers, such as great strengh as well as powers over water and fire(remember him busting his schools WATER main and then setting the pervs house on FIRE?), and even time(necessary to send the object back)

5. once the Divergent Universe has been restored to its original and intended time line, the people who were affected in the alternate time line often have dreams or a hazy knowledge of things that happened to their alternate selves. (remember at the end how everyone seemed to awake from a powerfull dream or nightmare?)

To sum up.... The Jet engine fell through a wormhole and created an unstable alternate universe(parallel dimention, whatever). Donnie Darko was seleceted by mysterious agents(Frank) to send the engine back and restore the universe.

crazy stuffs.... the extras on the DVD are really required viewing if ya rent this flick.

.... Trillium

Old 11-04-2002, 09:28 PM   #8
Siilverain

Trillium - Could you get me a link to that book? I went to Barnes & Noble's website but couldn't find it.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:56 PM   #9
Trillium

hehe, can't.... there is no physical *book*, the fictional books text is only found ON the DVD. get the Disc and look for it in the special features menu. It's called "The Morality of Time Travel" i think. There are only about 12 or 15 pages, but they really help to make sense of the movie.

G'luck!

.... Trillium
Old 11-05-2002, 01:14 AM   #10
Siilverain

Okay, now I feel silly. Thanks Husband loved the movie, so I'm sure we'll be getting it somewhere down the road.