Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2002, 06:13 AM   #1
Stacy the Druid

Default Post level 50, Change your Specialization for Druids?

As I have reached level 50+. I have found I enjoy grouping rather than soloing. Since I want to group more often and solo less, I was wondering if I should change my specialization to compensate for this. Currently my Evocation is maxxed out. Has anyone actually changed their specialization to be more group minded for a healer/buffer type situation?

All comments are most welcome.

Thanks
Stacy
Old 11-02-2002, 07:59 AM   #2
Nogem

Goto your home!

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=309652"><em><strong>Crypte X`Y ~ Assassin</strong></em></a>
Old 11-02-2002, 12:57 PM   #3
Zel Greyweather

If you solo'd all the way from 1 to 50 without any or many grouping experiences then you're going to have a really hard time finding a group and working your role(s) in groups. Thats what most necromancers and druids have complained about since Kunark was released. So be warned.

Old 11-02-2002, 01:24 PM   #4
Dreadwolfff

Ok druid by nature are damage dealers , thats what they are good at , that what they should be doing.

Post 50 .... 60 you get some amazing DoTs, whilst the evo
side is just as strong.

I would as i did with my druid stay with Evo, as your DDs
do far more damage in group situations.

When your closer to 60, you will be able to load massive amounts damage throu dots ,, at this time you may wish to change to conjure.. untill then i would wait and leave the speacilize as it is.

I have played with a druid everyday of my EQ life, I have yet to meet class as versitile useing Dots , DD and heals in the game in group situations.

What was said previously may become a problem adapting, from solo to group play , the use of Damage shields, Debuffs
,heals and Direct damage will come with exp keeping agro on your MA.. that would come in time and a few ressies.

Old 11-02-2002, 11:27 PM   #5
Daeth

Gonna chime in here, specialization for a druid can become a bit complicated, completely depending upon the type of playstyle that you enjoy more.

Solo play- I originally started evocation and absolutely loved it. It was extremely handy when specialization would kick in and I was relatively low on mana. All that matters is your mana since the dmg output is all dependant upon the amount you have. Dots were great back in the day, but that relied more on conjuration, which wasn't a practical choice since it was so limited in spell choices. Quad kiting really became the best form of solo exp, which primarily relied upon evocation.

Group Play/Guild Raid- Later on I switched over to Alteration, in order to become a more efficient healer. Best choice I made, in my opinion. In group situations, I found that most people had a serious lack of competent healers in their groups. By changing over to alteration and devoting my mana primarily towards healing, I found that I could sustain a hugely significant amount of various groups, where as before, it just wasn't possible with a specialization in evocation. Being also the fact that I used to raid alot, supplementary healing was absolutely essential in those situations.

You really just have to ask yourself just one question. Which do you like/tend to do more? Heal other people, or be the dmg dealer. Once you answer that question, everything else is just arbitrary.

Albeit, I would personally recommend going alteration when everything is said and done. (This is based on my own experiences, and my affinity towards being more "efficient" as well, as enjoying the role of being a support caster)
Old 11-03-2002, 05:41 PM   #6
Aeonn Fluxs

I'm with Daeth on this one. Alteration is the way to go. Gods know Im not the 'best' Druid on Norrath, but I DO know how to fit into a group, be it pick-up or raid.

The beauty of the Druid class is that we have the choice of grouping or soloing. The bad part is that soloing is freakin boring!

I think in order to have the good, fun times, you need to be able to slip into a group, and do your job. Most times, this turns out to be a fill-in healer. Some times, this turns out to be in the main healer position. Either way, there you are, and you better hope your Alteration skill is good. Not to mention Snare is also Alteration, which is a key thing if you have no Ranger (or SK, depending upon your good vs evil alignment) about to take care of it.

At any rate, I just thought I'd toss in my opinion Its really up to you to decide what kind of Druid you want to be.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:19 AM   #7
Cassaendra

That's something I have been deliberating for some time now. I am on Evocation as well. My role has always been the mortar, filling in with what's lacking in a group. I mostly solo'ed/duo'ed from 1 - 39, and have grouped almost exclusively from 39-60. You'll more than likely be forced to deal with grouping eventually since the mobs you'll be fighting to get decent exp., especially beyond 60, have narrowed.

With the new cheal, I saw my role shift to main healer in an exp group for a short period of time. With PoP coming out shortly thereafter, it put me back to the supplementary (burst) healer role and half-time nuker (until the cleric runs low on mana).

Looking at the cost of mana per use, beneficial spells are more expensive...but then you don't typically need to cast them multiple times per battle, as opposed to offensive spells. Buffs are usually cast once every 10 minutes on the high maintenance end.

I have yet to be on a serious cheal chain...if druids do become an integral part of that, then I will need to change over to Alteration since I raid and group 99.99% of the time. Cheal currently costs me between 9-10% per cast.

...but a friend of mine had mentioned to me that he noticed that specialization has been a little goofy with skill-ups, so I have been hesitant in changing it to Alteration...and partially lazy as well. Well, maybe mostly.

This is just my take on things, though...

Old 11-05-2002, 03:25 PM   #8
Raedwulf

Alteration was my choice. Although I soloed quite a bit, I also did groups a lot. I found that a little extra healing was always more of an asset, than a little bit more damage. Even when I'd be a group's nuker or was in a quadding frame of mind, I never was sorry that I went for ALT. "EVAC!" Of course, I stopped playing at 52 and have no experience with SOL or POP, so YMMV.

It's too bad we can't have a different title or something for druids that specialize in damage over healing. I usually would add a tag when I'd be LFG, "L52 Druid lfg - specializing in saving my group's butt when the going get tough."
Old 11-05-2002, 08:05 PM   #9
Malevant

Aeonn lies! She's really a Ranger in denial.

rawr.