Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2002, 08:00 PM   #1
MilanderTruewield

Default Computer problems *sigh*

Ok, was curious if anyone could figure this out. My computer keeps freezing or booting me to desktop randomly, and I'm getting rather pissed. I'm running a AMD Athlon XP 1900+ 1.6GHz CPU on a Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard with 768MB DDR RAM. I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 (128MB) vid card, and a Soundblaster Audigy Gamer sound card. I'd like to say that the problems didn't start until I installed the new sound card, but I'm not exactly sure. A guildy suggested that I move the sound card to a different slot, and maybe remove the 2x 128meg sticks of ram I have. I was just looking for a second opinion.

I am running Windows XP Pro, btw.

Also, I've been hearing a weird sound coming from the speakers at odd times in game....sort of like a little metal ball dropping on a hard surface and bouncing once or twice. More often than not, this sound comes just before the computer locks up. EDIT: Just noticed the strange sound for the first time out of game..

Any ideas?
Old 11-05-2002, 08:26 PM   #2
Gojirra Monk

Yeah, uninstall the drivers, move the sound card to another slot, reset the data (can't remember the right words, and I work on computers for a living. doh!) in the PnP/PCI page of your BIOS, reinstall the drivers, see how it goes.

If that doesn't work, grab a crappy old soundcard from your local computer junk dealer (or borrow one) and try that.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:32 PM   #3
Igota

If your sound card is in the top PCI slot it could be causing some pretty bad pirq conflicts with your video card, I can't think of why it would reboot your system randomly, but it never hurts to move it out of that slot.

The problem could be with your RAM, one of the older sticks might have a bad registry or two, so whenever the comp tries to store some info on that/those registers it would crash, to test that just take out one stick at a time and see what happens (you can download programs to test your RAM, but I never had all that much success with them).

Another possibility is that your power supply is not adequate, did you upgrade from an old computer with a 250ish watt PS? That might do it.

With that odd sound you are hearing there is definitely something wrong with your sound card or the drivers for it, hopefully moving it to a new slot will clear up both problems, but no matter what I would try that first, if that does not help, remove it and see if that is problem, then try swapping out the older sticks of RAM.

Old 11-05-2002, 10:14 PM   #4
Darue Ivywood

I would remove the soundcard and run it for awhile. If problem still exists then that wasnt it. If it goes away, remove all drivers and reinstall fresh sound card.

Sometimes when you install new devices, some of the info for the old devices doesnt get completely wiped. As in the case of Win98SE, it is sometimes wise to enter safe mode and remove drivers there as well before re-installing new equipment.

Old 11-06-2002, 05:05 AM   #5
MilanderTruewield

I changed which slot the sound card is in, and the computer redetected it. And then when it was taking the drivers off the disk it stopped at 20% because there were 2 instances of installshield running. Ah well, if the problem doesn't stop, I'll reinstall the sound card again and try to avoid having 2 instances of installshield running this time
Old 11-06-2002, 08:58 AM   #6
Kerryn Darkwater

Default Yeah

It is your sound card. I've seen people reporting this problem several times over the past week and the one thing they have in common is the audigy sound card.

Place a file in the EQ directory called nosound.txt and then play. If it works, take your card out of the machine and bin it because that card isn't compatible with EQ.

A verant fubar.