Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2002, 08:40 AM   #1
Thorwald The Warrior

Default Primer on Umbral Plains * For those unfamiliar with the zone

Umbral Plains Strategy, Tactics, Hunting guide, Rare Spawn info Drops for all in thier 50's!!!!!

Well that is a mouthful of a Heading! Fact is I don't have ALL that info, but I think I can get us off to a start for those who have no info on UP and since I have been hunting there for a while can give some insight into hunting there with a TANK..hehe. AOE groups deserve thier own post .

NOTE : IF BRINGING YOUR FRIENDLY TANK A SLOWER IS REQUIRED! UNLESS YOUR TANK HAS BETTER THAN DOUBLE DIGIT INTELLIGENCE THEN TO KEEP HIM THAT WAY HAVE GREAT (read LOTS of healers or CH or Ghetto CH)HEALING AVAILABLE.

General Info:

SLOW:A slower is HIGHLY recommended if you are going to employ melee. Alternatively a Melee with a weapon that procs slow can be used in a pinch. For survivability it is recommended that your slower is over 52nd level, for ease of landing slow and effect of the slow spell they should generally be 54 or higher. Lesser level slowers will work, but the mobs can kill a caster in seconds, repeated re-casting of slow can make for many deaths of the Enchie. Shamen are much more survivable.

DAMAGE: These mobs all have EXTREME numbers of hitpoints. If you are using melee for the main damage, it is recommeded that you have at least three melee in group and one of those should be a rogue or monk. Alternatively a Single melee and three or more pet classes can make the melee damage quotient work.

MEZZABLE MOBS: Many of the mobs in Umbral can be mezzed however the DARK cannot and many of the named of course. MEZZ is your friend.

PULLING THE ZONE: At my level (57) I don't usually have too many problems with bad pulls(there have been exceptions) I usually don't get adds unless I want them. However the DARK and the STATUES in the zone have pretty long aggro ranges. Neither of them are mezzable so you will have to take those out first. Important note though is soft pull if you don't want to be summoned. Also don't pull the statues unless you can handle them all, very difficult to single pull.

SUMMONING MOBS:
ALL MOBS IN THIS ZONE HAVE SUMMONED ME. Usually not all at once (HEHE). But even that happens. Aggro can chain hard so be careful. When you see a bunch of mobs running around, might be best to simply choose your place to die if you can't avoid them as the puller. My worst example so far is last weekend I ran into a huge train of Dark Assasins and was killed by them while being summoned (at least 7 or 8 times)all over the zone..that was no fun.

PULLING TO THE MAIDENS EYE ZONE:
There are usually one or two groups pulling right in this rather large zone in area that exactly resembles the ME side in reverse. Nice place to get a feel for your group, but the occaisional train can make it a very dangerous place to be. Pull here with care. Note that there is a short tunnel from here into the mob area of the zone that has a pathing issue. The mobs tend to run back and forth here during a pull. To assist them in pathing , puller should stand in front of the tunnel inside the zone in area until the mob attacks him/her. It takes a little practice, but once you learn the distance it will help. If you just pull straight in their buggy pathing sometimes prevents them from coming all the way to the group until subsequent pulls..(this can be baaad news ). Of course for you soloers out there, this is an excellent sploit as long as you dont get too many adds .

Mob Info:
Umbral Plains Mobs are generally 55+ ( maybe start a little lower) and range up to level 60. There are armor types for most classes available.Groups should generally have a slower, or at least a slow proc equipped melee. It is recommended that your slower/mezzer be at least 52, mainly because many of the mobs are over 57th level and resistant, and when they get angry, can take a caster out in a few seconds.Common types of mobs are:

Gantrus:

Gantru Moktor: Drops Moktor Armor for Plate classes (SHD, WAR,PAL,BARD,CLER)
Rare: Gantru Raldukan: This guy drops Raldukan armor, the Raldukan Pieces are generally comparable to Thurgadin Plate.
Named: Gantru Dralkenar tougher than the Raldukan guy, this guy drops the nice +15 stat bracers.

Gantru's Are big Trogs, much tougher than Maidens Eye trogs, they typically double for 150's to 190's or even more and hit very fast. They have many thousands of hitpoints. Drops are about one in ten on the armor or so. The Rares are higher level and hit harder tend to be around level 57 or 58 and seems to always drop one of the pieces. Moktors are mezzable and never run btw. Recommend 54+ Mezzer though.
Gantru's have pretty low aggro. You can at my level almost run right up to them before they aggro. Single pulls are easily accomplished.

Gantru Shojen: Shamanistic versions of the above they drop Shammy armor and Slow, and dot you. Careful thier dot is sometimes EBOLT or PLAGUE and can do a LOT of damage. Mostly known for thier annoying tendancy to slow dot you, and they run, so snare/root is a must.They are mezzable.
Gantru Shojilen: The rare type Shammy Not sure that there are Shojilen versions of the armor or not.

Elysian Remains:

Disturbed Elysian Remains Drops Elysian Armor for Druids. This stuff is comparable to GOOD planar armor.
Corrupted Elysian Remains: Drops some rare pieces that complement the Elysian very well but many that are useable by other classes. The Death Mask ,Death Watchers Shroud and Glimmering Statuette/ some are nice pieces for the non uber amoungst us.

Elysians hit FAST and not quite as hard as the Gorangas but quite a bit faster(did I say fast?). They can take a warrior with 1100 ac and 3000 hitpoints to zero in under a minute! (Believe me I know I resemble that remark!). I have never faced the Corrupted, but I understand he is immune to stun casts and is level 58 to 59. Elysians are mezzable same rules as Gorangas. I don't believe the named are mezzable but don't quote me mez at your own risk ).

THE DARK:

Dark Assassins. These Look like Xi Vius from Maidens Eye, but like the Gantrus are a LOT tougher than thier ME counterparts. Still they have less hitpoints than the Gantrus or the Elysians and I think easier to kill in a way. Their most noticeable trait right away is thier EXTREME aggro radius. If you SEE one it COULD aggro on you , so pullers should take special care, they are one of the most common adds and CANNOT be mezzed. Their second most famous trait is the tendancy to snare dot your tank while they lay waste to your casters. They also live up to thier name and can backstab for up to 500 or so but luckily only do so occaisionally (read RUN FAST).These guys drop DarkSteel weapons on occaision and Dark Assasin (Ranger, Bard,Rogue) armor. This armor is roughly equivalent to good pre-kunark planar.
Dark Masters: The rare version of the above, a LOT tougher and When All slain triggers the DOOMSHADE spawn. They drop Dark Master (Ranger, Bard, Rogue) armor. Nicer stats than the Dark Assasin stuff. Equivalent to Thurg quest armor for Rogues or Rangers.

Fallen Soldiers:
Vah Shir Skellies, these undead former soldiers are rather mundane mobs for this zone really. Mundane to me cause someone forgot to include combat animations. They are about the same level threat as Moktors, with slightly fewer hitpoints, and dont hit quite as hard. They drop nice caster armor. The Rare Fallen Seargent Drops an Awesome 20 ac Caster Robe the Vah Shir Skin Robe and some nice weapons etc for other classes as well. They aggro more than Moktors, so single pulling is sometimes more challenging. Fallen Searg Cannot be mezzed.

MOB LOCATIONS:

NOTE:Almost all mobs wander the zone, many seem to have a 'patrol' routine (path) where depending on where they spawn they walk a certain route and return to thier spawn points. Others seem to kind of wander until they hit the zone wall and get stuck..there are definitely some pathing problems here, so be careful.

MOKTOR: Straight out form zone, and to the right of the zone you will find multiple spawns of these guys

ELYSIAN REMAINS: 'Safe Valley'(yeah right!) Go past (carefully) the ruins of Vex Thal (far right of zone)and right past that at the zone wall there is a valley , pulling seems to work best from there.

THE DARK: Straight out from zone entrance you will come upon the DARK assasins etc. They are concentrated a small distance from the Moktor Spawns.

FALLEN SOLDIERS: Take a left and follow the zone wall, you will see a big tree in a little depresssion, for real fun go past the big tree and fight along the wall there, lots of these guys.

Hope this helps anyone not familiar with the zone to get a start. There is a lot more to the zone, Netherbians, Zels, Shak Dathor, etc. You will run into them hunting some of the areas I have mentioned. But as I said, this is to give you a start. Best of luck!

DISCLAIMER: I do not claim to be any kind of expert on this zone, but if you are like me and had no prior experience, you MIGHT find this useful. I believe I would have.

Old 11-06-2002, 06:39 PM   #2
Reddoak Whispershot EMarr

Default Re: Primer on Umbral Plains * For those unfamiliar with the

An excellent summary of the zone I must say... this deserves a big ol' bump
Old 11-06-2002, 08:17 PM   #3
Dwarkarn

Default Re: Primer on Umbral Plains * For those unfamiliar with the

Yup it's all pretty good info so BUMP again!
Old 11-07-2002, 02:01 AM   #4
Kidin

Default RE: minor correction

Hail,
<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>...Shamanistic versions of the above they drop DECENT Planar Shammy armor...[/quote]

Many regard this to be CRAP armor with a level 50 restriction on it coupled with lousy AC that isn't even as good as Rygorr.
But opinions vary. Shaman have been hoping that this eventually receives an upgrade, but we aren't screaming about it.

Other than that, nice post.
Take care,
Old 11-07-2002, 06:42 AM   #5
Thorwald The Warrior

Default Re: RE: minor correction

Damn Frekkels! I am BUSTED! SHHH..dang just tryin to get more Shammies into the zone ). No seriously that is a good point. I have taken any reference to it's quality out. Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:48 AM   #6
Felixican

A 60 torpor enabled shaman can keep a group alive quite well here, on single and occaisional double pulls. Definently need a cleric for the moron brothers tho.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:45 PM   #7
Felessan

Default /cheer Thorwald.../wave Felixican

/salute thorwald

Awesome job Thor...good reading.

/wave Felixican

Long time since Wyrms in GD, hehee...long time no see, as well...

Later all,

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:49 PM   #8
Felixican

The mighty ginsu ranger himself /wave