Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
Kogur
Phatty!

Default Windows XP setup heeeelp meeeee.

Hey guys,

Something happened to my PC and I ended up having to wipe the drive and reinstall windows...however, now I have a pretty big problem. I'm getting the following when trying to install windows.

Setup cannot copy the file: shell32.dll
Setup cannot copy the file: mshtml.dll
Setup cannot copy the file: drmv2clt.dll
Setup cannot copy the file: dx7vb.dll
Setup cannot copy the file: iis.dll
Setup cannot copy the file: jsscript.dll
Setup cannot copy the file: mf.sys
Setup cannot copy the file: mfc40.dll
Setup cannot copy the file: mmsys.cpl
Setup cannot copy the file: mqsnap.dll
Setup cannot copy the file: msvbvm60.dll
Setup cannot copy the file: oembios.bin
Setup cannot copy the file: sonydcam.dll
Setup cannot copy the file: soundrec.hlp
Setup cannot copy the file: srgb.icm
Setup cannot copy the file: xpshutdn.wav
Setup cannot copy the file: pro_seg4.swf
Setup cannot copy the file: pro_seg5.swf
Setup cannot copy the file: tourW.exe
Setup cannot copy the file: wind_W.chq
Setup cannot copy the file: xptht37D.jpg
Setup cannot copy the file: ntkrnlpa.exe

I skipped through these files to see what all it wasn't copying. Anyone have any idea why it would do this? This is on a freshly formatted NTFS Partition.
I have tried two different Windows XP discs, and even tried copying all of those files onto a CD from another PC and trying to pull the files off the other CD during setup...No Go.

The interesting thing I found is that some of these files were not found on any of the other PCs in my house.

jsscript.dll, srgb.icm, pro_seg4.swf, pro_seg5.swf, tourW.exe, xptht37D.jpg

I couldn't find those files on any other PC in the house, but it was saying it was unable to copy them on setup.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
Dakat

Hey Kogur not sure if this might be the same thing, but something very similar to this is what happened to me when I tried to install WinXP after a good system restoration.

Did you add any new Hardware to your computer, mainly a new Video Card, or Harddrive, or CD/DVD rom/writer of some sort?

For the video card did you go from a MB powered card to a requires its own power?

For the Harddrive, did you replace one or add one?

For the CD/DVD rom did you add one or replace one?

The reason I am asking is because when I was having this problem I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong with my computer. Everything worked fine before, and now this crap. After almost 2 weeks of troubleshooting every piece of equipment I had in the computer, the obvious piece of equipment I didn't check (I had added a new Video Card, a new Harddrive, and a new CD/DVD rom to the already existing equipment in my computer). It was the power supply. Yeah you figure why would a power supply affect installing software. The only explanation I could come up with is that the Power Supply I had was just enough to run the equipment at start-up, but once you tried to do anything, there wouldn't be enough power in vital pieces, which in turn made the CD/DVD rom and the Harddrive not communicate with each other.

Not saying that this may be your problem, once I upgraded to a 450watt, which is still below afterage, everything worked great. I had a 250watt in the computer and was running a Kv8T MB with 1600FSB, AMD 64bit 3700+ processor, ASUS 9800 XT 256meg card (needs alternate power source), 2 120gig HD's Raided, 2 DVD player&burner, 6 fans not including CPU fan (AMD 64's run super hot) so 250watts was just barely making the thing turn on.

Hope this information helps you or others that read this.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
Kogur
Phatty!

Well...We changed out the CD-ROM and it copied the files just fine.

10 year old CD-ROM from a Pentium 1 > 6 mo. old DVD Burner from Fry's.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:56 AM   #4
Aarial

Hey Fattah!

High Priestess Aprell

Exemplar of Karana
Retired cause I'm playing WOW!
Aarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:04 AM   #5
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

I've never had that happen while trying to install the operating system, but the CD drive can make a difference. I have a DVD-ROM drive and a CD burner, and there are some things I can't install from one but can from the other. In fact, I can remember that Diablo 2 would NOT install from anything but my CD burner. Now, I can understand this happening in Windows, as they use very different drivers, but while loading the OS on a freshly formatted hard drive, the CD drive would be using a generic driver. Perhaps whatever generic drivers are on the XP disc just don't cut it when it comes to your DVD burner.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
korast

This may sound silly. I had same problem in past: it was bad RAM.
korast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:38 AM   #7
Kogur
Phatty!

Originally Posted by korast
This may sound silly. I had same problem in past: it was bad RAM.
That's what I was afraid it was Korast. The ONLY thing I could find on the internet about it said that's what it was.