Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
Aamrie

Default More good news

Wedding blues

U.S. Reportedly Kills 40 Iraqis at Party

By SCHEHEREZADE FARAMARZI, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A U.S. helicopter fired on a wedding party early Wednesday in western Iraq (news - web sites), killing more than 40 people, Iraqi officials said. The U.S. military said it could not confirm the report and was investigating.

Lt. Col Ziyad al-Jbouri, deputy police chief of the city of Ramadi, said between 42 and 45 people died in the attack, which took place about 2:45 a.m. in a remote desert area near the border with Syria and Jordan. He said those killed included 15 children and 10 women.

Dr. Salah al-Ani, who works at a hospital in Ramadi, put the death toll at 45.

Associated Press Television News obtained videotape showing a truck containing bodies of those allegedly killed.

About a dozen bodies, one without a head, could be clearly seen. but it appeared that bodies were piled on top of each other and a clear count was not possible.

The Dubai-based Al-Arabiya television reported that more than 20 people were killed and 10 injured in the attack.

Iraqis interviewed on the videotape said partygoers had fired into the air in a traditional wedding celebration. American troops have sometimes mistaken celebratory gunfire for hostile fire.

"I cannot comment on this because we have not received any reports from our units that this has happened nor that any were involved in such a tragedy," Lt. Col. Dan Williams, a U.S. military spokesman, wrote in an e-mail in response to a question from The Associated Press.

"We take all these requests seriously and we have forwarded this inquiry to the Joint Operations Center for further review and any other information that may be available," Williams said.

The video footage showed mourners with shovels digging graves. A group of men crouched and wept around one coffin.

Al-Ani said people at the wedding fired weapons in the air, and that American troops came to investigate and left. However, al-Ani said, helicopters attacked the area at about 3 a.m. Two houses were destroyed, he said.

"This was a wedding and the (U.S.) planes came and attacked the people at a house. Is this the democracy and freedom that (President) Bush has brought us?" said a man on the videotape, Dahham Harraj. "There was no reason."

Another man shown on the tape, who refused to give his name, said the victims were at a wedding party "and the U.S. military planes came... and started killing everyone in the house."

In July 2002, Afghan officials said 48 civilians at a wedding party were killed and 117 wounded by a U.S. airstrike in Afghanistan (news - web sites)'s Uruzgan province. An investigative report released by the U.S. Central Command said the airstrike was justified because American planes had come under fire.

Jack Thompson: Yes, put down the controller and get a life. Video gaming is an escapist activity and youre being exploited by these companies. Its not healthy; I worry about someone who would play Grand Theft Auto for ten hours a day. Its a masturbatory activity, and it would be better if people put down the controller and went outside.
Aamrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Truly a tragedy.

On a slightly different note...not being a planes expert here, is it possible to tell at 245AM that an overhead plane is actually from one country or another? Could it not have been from another country, or is there something distinctive about ours that would be discernable in the dark? Do we carry distinctive weaponry or have different sounding engines? Were there military types at the wedding that "just knew the difference"?

Granted, the US powers-that-be could just be stalling with their "looking into it" statement, but I'm genuinely curious. If I were at a wedding at 245AM and someone came and dropped a buttload of ammo on my head, I don't know that I'd immediately know which country was responsible, given that we're not the only nation over there.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:31 AM   #3
Foust Farseer

its like...raaaaaiiiaaaaaiiiinnnn.....(of bullets) on your wedding dayy...

isn't it ironic...

dont ya think?

Yes yes I couldn't resist.

This is truly a tragedy though....and there will probably be no consequences for those responsible...but im quite sure conflict will escalate.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #4
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Bush really is promoting the new marriage amendment proposal: only white Christian Americans shall be afforded the right to be married under God- all other unions shall be made null and void with extreme prejudice.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
bumbleroot

Who would name their kid "SCHEHEREZADE"
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:44 AM   #6
Foust Farseer

he could fight crime with a name like that.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #7
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Brigiid
Truly a tragedy.

On a slightly different note...not being a planes expert here, is it possible to tell at 245AM that an overhead plane is actually from one country or another? Could it not have been from another country, or is there something distinctive about ours that would be discernable in the dark? Do we carry distinctive weaponry or have different sounding engines? Were there military types at the wedding that "just knew the difference"?
Yes, our planes, etc. have very distinctive sounds. People who are used to hearing them would know.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #8
bumbleroot

Yes, our planes, etc. have very distinctive sounds.
Everyone knows our planes have Harley engines.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:54 AM   #9
Everclear

Who would name their kid "SCHEHEREZADE"

I think it's the perfect name for a writer al la 1,001 Arabian Nights =D
Everclear is offline   Reply With Quote