Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
Syldra Megiste`

Default My Ignorance...

I've never been much of a politically involved person, but I'd like to change that and I really just want to know where to start to get actual important information about the candidates (rather than the mud slinging opinionated shit I find everywhere).

I've never made an attempt to get involved in politics... but I'd really like to change that. I've never voted... primarily because I've never thought any one candidate was better than the other, but Im sure there is a lot more information for me to base my opinions on than what I see on commercials and forums such as this.

So... if someone can give me some serious advice on where I can educate myself... I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

Kinda interesting how you posted it in this forum. Almost like you knew there would be some mudslinging. I'll be watching this thread, because I think it would be interesting to see if we could get some unbiased political information. I honestly don't think it's possible.
Valleycrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
Lurikeen
Freaky

I wouldn't look for an education by the political parties. They will only provide their side of the story.

Basically, I would start by getting involved in your community. Rub shoulders with your neighborhood leaders and get involved with community projects. Once you have gotten more exposure (not to say you haven't enough), then I think you can compare your real world experiences with the party platforms of each party and see which ones you identify with the most.

Why do I say get involved in community projects rather than simply read? It has been my experience that people who just have "head knowledge" without applying it to the real world really aren't prepared to make good political choices. By being in the trenches, so to speak, you can see how people are treated first hand and understand their concerns along with yours.

I hope this makes some sense.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #4
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Send me a tell in game- I'll tell you exactly what you should believe and who you should vote for
Old 05-12-2004, 11:56 AM   #5
Felessan

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
I wouldn't look for an education by the political parties. They will only provide their side of the story.

Basically, I would start by getting involved in your community. Rub shoulders with your neighborhood leaders and get involved with community projects. Once you have gotten more exposure (not to say you haven't enough), then I think you can compare your real world experiences with the party platforms of each party and see which ones you identify with the most.

Why do I say get involved in community projects rather than simply read? It has been my experience that people who just have "head knowledge" without applying it to the real world really aren't prepared to make good political choices. By being in the trenches, so to speak, you can see how people are treated first hand and understand their concerns along with yours.

I hope this makes some sense.
/agree

Also, read a few newspapers and decide what issues are important to you. I say a few, so you're not biased by any different viewpoint. Then start looking into who is supporting what.

Education, as Luri stated, is only part of it. Getting involved will allow you to find out a bit more about the process, and where folks stand.

Good luck and congratulations on making one of the more significant decision an adult can make as a good citizen and a responsible member of society. Most dont even bother.

/salute

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:36 PM   #6
bumbleroot

NPR does a really fair job.
http://www.NPR.org/

David Gergen- Served in Clinton, Ford, Nixon and Reagan's White House. Is now a political commentator.
http://www.davidgergen.com/

You could try this site which is unbiased
http://www.politics.com/

I wouldn't advocate looking up any party affiliated web sites at all. They are going to be biased.

Try this website it is supposedly unbiased and deals with issues
http://www.vote-smart.org/

For President...
http://www.vote-smart.org/election_president.php
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
Vireil
Disturbing the force

These two books will likely give you some general overview

"The Complete Idiot's Guide to American Government"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

"Politics for Dummies"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I'm not trying to insinuate anything here btw. I've read books from both of these series on other topics and found them useful.
Vireil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:38 PM   #8
cnjmorris

I can't help you on who to go to for information on politicians that isn't overly biased but I can offer you a different tip that I believe is just important.

You may already have done this, and if so, ignore this.... but make a list of what is important to you. Prioritize.

Read some books on politics in general to know what the issues are. Sometimes we tend to think in terms of today and think narrowly.

(Don't answer these questions, simply use them and others like them).

Does religion matter to you and do you feel some canidates would like to see your freedom limited.

Are you in college or do you plan on attending soon and do you want to know that if you can't afford college there are programs to help you afford it (or simply make sure the education system is a quality that you can benefit from).

Are you close to retirement and afraid that your retirement is in jeaprody?

Are you willing to take a chance on health care because your health is good now, and not worry about what government is doing about costs and liability?

Do you care about the environment and the fact that the US is falling behind other nations in technology to protect our planet? (I have read that we have about 8 years until we see a huge problem with oil (we use it for a lot more than heat and transport), and that in 17 years we will have depleted the world supply of copper - accurate or not it means most of us will be alive to see both).

Do you feel the need for smaller or larger military? Should they be stationed more out of country or in country?

Do you feel America should be more isolated or more involved in world trade?

Anyway, you get the idea. Once you know where you stand look at the history of the politicians.. how did they vote when they were able. Does it support their claims of what they stand for?

Catcen, Level 65 Beastlord.

Newbie for life.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #9
Syldra Megiste`

Thanks for the insight guys.

I'll look into some of those links and see what I can find locally. Im new to this city/state... so Im really really unfamiliar with everything (school systems and such) so the political stuff is completely unknown to me.

But I got my voters registration card yesterday!

I just want to use it wisely :/
Old 05-12-2004, 07:20 PM   #10
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Just go to this place. http://www.democraticunderground.com
It's an innocent site that promotes non-violence and acceptance
to all political parties. It's a very biased site.

In fact, they love hearing about President Bush there.

God Bless America
Zolmaz.
Zolmaz Zo'Boto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #11
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Golden Rule #1:

Listening to Zolmaz will do nothing but give you a nasty fucking headache.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #12
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Syldra rent Primary Colors and youll get a world of information on how campaigns are really run.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:23 PM   #13
Zephaus

Lots of Blogs deal with politics on a daily basis. I would recommend Blogrunner as a good site to start with as a portal to the most popular sites and stories of the day...
Check me out here or here.
Zephaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:45 PM   #14
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Watch Hannity and Colmes...good start. Listen to Rush Limbaugh and then a liberal equivalent. Lots of stuff.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:17 PM   #15
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Just one small aspect of the argument here, as everyone seems to have hit the high points...

When you're researching your candidates, it's good to reach back as far as their early days when you can. For instance, if someone's been playing in the political arena since their college days, the way they voted and things they were involved in back then might be pretty telling about the person they are now.

People will say lots of things (or omit lots of things) when they're running for a major office, because they want to put the best foot forward. I'm not saying that people don't change over the course of time, but if someone has been a staunch advocate of Issue_01 for the last 20 years, and is saying something different now that they're running for Prez, you might want to know why.

This is just my own personal bit of propaganda here, so take it with a grain of salt. I tend to support candidates based moreso on their character and demeanor than the exact issues that they support or see as a priority, and here's why:

Issues come and go, but their personal character dictates how far they're going to go to seek resolutions and what kind of decisions they're going to make. Will they be strong? Will they crumble under criticism or opposition? Will they pick a path and see it through? Do they seem resolute in what they think and believe?

The president has power, but he's not the only one in a position to make decisions. He may want something done, but be outvoted or get shuffled into the neverending sea of red tape. A president with strong character and determination will stand up for what they believe in and try to find another way around it. Even if they don't ultimately meet success in the end, I look for someone who will have the balls to stick it out rather than giving up.

Some people tend to vote based on the issues presented, and that's another way to go. Just keep in mind that the president himself doesn't have absolute power, and just because he wants to vote your way on your issue doesn't mean it's going to end up that way. There are too many variables.

I'm not saying that this particular school of thought is right or wrong, just something to consider. Again, it's just my opinion, so do with it as you please.

Last but not least, I'll give a "shout out" to mah feminazi homies and say that although I perpetually refer to the president using the male gender, it's entirely possible that we'll have a female president one of these days. Don't get your proverbial panties in a wad.