Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2004, 11:42 AM   #26
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

I don't think of myself as an Irish-Anglo-Scottish American, but I have no problem with other people of my background referring to themselves that way if that's what they want to do. My high school was probably 50% minority, 50% white: there was never any big political correctness donneybrook if a person of African descent was called black or a person like me was called white or a person from Puerto Rico was called hispanic.

I'm a liberal ex-Catholic Irish-Anglo-Scottish Massachusetts-American
Old 05-12-2004, 11:47 AM   #27
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
The reason I make such a big deal out of it is I had a super-liberal professor in college Soc 101 who told us that if he caught any of us referring to African-Americans as black he would ban us from his classroom for a day and that "black" was no better than dropping the N-bomb.

We all thought he was retarded...
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:50 AM   #28
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

He was.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:00 PM   #29
Felessan

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
He was.

I think you mean "he is", Horma, hehee. What an idiot.

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:01 PM   #30
cnjmorris

The reason I make such a big deal out of it is I had a super-liberal professor in college Soc 101 who told us that if he caught any of us referring to African-Americans as black he would ban us from his classroom for a day and that "black" was no better than dropping the N-bomb.
Some African were offended by it also. I don't remember the exact political stance except I remember that there was white, black, and some other group and the two non white groups killed eachother more than white and black.

Regardless, with a teacher like that you simply pick up your books and say that you aren't racist so you won't say nigger or African-American. When he boots you, go enjoy the park or something. Enjoy the day off.

I doubt that his stance would hold up when you called the local news station or brought the college into it if you forgot and said it in a discussion and he booted you.

Catcen, Level 65 Beastlord.

Newbie for life.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:37 PM   #31
Vulpes

I also don't understand the PC correctness of all the BS names we 'have' to call people. In college, I was once kicked out of an English class for using the word Indian. I grew up in South Dakota, with many people who used Indian to describe themselves. Remember AIM? the American INDIAN movement?

Am I now supposed to just not call them what they called themselves due to some ambiguous PCness? BTW this same teacher said the Native Americans used to live off the buffalo. I, of course, pointed out that buffalo live in India, with the Indians. Native Americans survived off bison.

White, black, red, yellow it doesn't matter. Anymore, I believe you can either be American, or leave. Take pride in your nationality, but don't 'force' me to read your mind and call you what you want.

Vulpes
Vulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #32
Evelle

The PC stuff has gotten out of hand down at the grade school level. I have personally wondered if it's ok to use the term black in reference to people. I would hate to have my kids end up in the principal's office because I wasn't raising them to be PC enough. Thier teachers discourage the use of the words Darn, Shoot, and Heck.

It has gotten so bad that I wouldn't be surprised to hear that people have decided that Chess is racist due to there being black and white pieces. If things keep going along these lines I wouldn't be surprised to see the kinder gentler Chess set with pieces that are purple and green.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:11 PM   #33
Deadscale

It has gotten so bad that I wouldn't be surprised to hear that people have decided that Chess is racist due to there being black and white pieces.
You can't forget hockey, black puck being smacked by sticks

(Can't remember where I saw that...and however it went haha)