Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default Iraq prisoner beheaded on video

Only this prisoner was one of ours.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,119615,00.html

Video Appears to Show Beheading of American

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

CAIRO, Egypt — A video posted Tuesday on an Islamic militant Web site showed the beheading of an American civilian in Iraq, and said the execution was carried out by an Al Qaeda affiliated group to avenge the abuse of Iraqi prisoners by American soldiers.

The video showed five men wearing headscarves and black ski masks, standing over a bound man in an orange jumpsuit — similar to a prisoner's uniform — who identified himself as Nick Berg (search), a U.S. contractor whose body was found on a highway overpass in Baghdad on Saturday.

"My name is Nick Berg, my father's name is Michael, my mother's name is Susan," the man said on the video. "I have a brother and sister, David and Sarah. I live in ... Philadelphia."

After reading a statement, the men were seen pulling the man to his side and putting a large knife to his neck. A scream sounded as the men cut his head off, shouting "Allahu Akbar!" — "God is great." They then held the head out before the camera.

Berg's family said Tuesday they knew their son had been decapitated, but didn't know the details of the killing. When told of the video by an Associated Press reporter, Berg's father, Michael, and his two siblings hugged and cried.

"I knew he was decapitated before. That manner is preferable to a long and torturous death. But I didn't want it to become public," Michael Berg said.

On the Web site, one of the executioners read a statement:

"For the mothers and wives of American soldiers, we tell you that we offered the U.S. administration to exchange this hostage with some of the detainees in Abu Ghraib (search) and they refused."

"So we tell you that the dignity of the Muslim men and women in Abu Ghraib and others is not redeemed except by blood and souls. You will not receive anything from us but coffins after coffins ... slaughtered in this way."

The video bore the title "Abu Musab al-Zarqawi shown slaughtering an American." It was unclear whether al-Zarqawi — a lieutenant of Usama bin Laden — was shown in the video, or was claiming responsibility for ordering the execution.

The Web site on which the video was posted is known as a clearing house for Al Qaeda and Islamic extremist groups' statements and tapes. An audiotape purportedly from bin Laden — which the CIA said was probably authentic — appeared on the same Web site last week.

Western officials say al-Zarqawi, whose real name is Ahmad Fadhil al-Khalayleh, is a lieutenant of bin Laden. The United States has offered $10 million for information leading to the capture or killing of al-Zarqawi, saying he is trying to build a network of foreign militants in Iraq to work for Al Qaeda.

In the video, the speaker threatened both President Bush and Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf (search).

"As for you Bush ... expect severe days. You and your soldiers will regret the day you stepped into the land of Iraq," he said. He described Musharraf as "a traitor agent."

The slaying recalled the kidnapping and videotaped beheading of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl (search) in 2002 in Pakistan. Four Islamic militants have been convicted of kidnapping Pearl, but seven other suspects — including those who allegedly slit his throat — remain at large.

Suzanne Berg, the mother of the 26-year-old Berg, of West Chester, Pa., said her son was in Iraq as an independent businessman to help rebuild communication antennas. He had been missing since April 9, she said.

"He had this idea that he could help rebuild the infrastructure," she said.

The U.S. military Tuesday said an American civilian was found dead in Baghdad, but did not release his identity. State Department spokeswoman Susan Pittman said she couldn't release the name of the dead American, but said she not aware of more than one civilian found dead in recent days.

The military said there were signs of trauma to the body. Suzanne Berg said she was told her son's death was violent but did not want to discuss details.

Berg, who was in Baghdad from late December to Feb. 1, returned to Iraq in March. He didn't find any work and planned again to return home on March 30, but his daily communications home stopped on March 24. He later told his parents he was jailed by Iraqi officials at a checkpoint in Mosul.

"He was arrested and held without due process," his father, Michael Berg, told the Daily Local News of West Chester recently. "By the time he got out the whole area was inflamed with violence.

The FBI on March 31 interviewed Berg's parents in West Chester. Jerri Williams, a spokeswoman for the Philadelphia FBI office, told The Philadelphia Inquirer the agency had been "asked to interview the parents regarding Mr. Berg's purpose in Iraq."

On April 5, the Bergs filed suit in federal court in Philadelphia, contending that their son was being held illegally by the U.S. military. The next day Berg was released. He told his parents he hadn't been mistreated.

The Bergs last heard from their son April 9, when he said he would come home by way of Jordan, Turkey or Kuwait. But by then, hostilities in Iraq had escalated.

Suzanne Berg on Tuesday said she was told her son's body would be transported to Kuwait and then to Dover, Del. She said the family had been trying for weeks to learn where their son was but that federal officials had not been helpful.

"I went through this with them for weeks," she said. "I basically ended up doing most of the investigating myself."
Old 05-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #2
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Ahh yes..the beauty, peace, and compassion of the Islamic religion...

We need more troops in iraq...more troops and a shitload of tactical nukes. It's getting near time to glass this shithole country over and roll west to Syria..

Last edited by Trith; 05-11-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
ShardmoonVer.1

Its a good thing there are no terrorist in Iraq.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #4
Lurikeen
Freaky

What's that old saying? Violence begets violence.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
bumbleroot

You dumbasses don't realize that this is EXACTLY proof that we are NOT winning the war on terrorism. This is a terrorist act. And it is by Al Qaeda. It is because of our actions they did this. You haven't a clue how to beat this. It is, as we have heard over and over again, a multi-headed Hydra. You cut one head off, more grow (no pun intended).
If the solution to end terrorism was to install a Democratic state in the Middle East, then doing it with military force is the dumbest way to do that to end terrorism.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:18 AM   #6
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
While I think the photos taken by our boys and that sheman are ridiculous and degrading, I think there is a stark difference in that and oh, chopping man's head off.
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:19 AM   #7
Trech

You dumbasses don't realize that this is EXACTLY proof that we are NOT winning the war on terrorism
No, this is proof that they cut a man's head off. Calling it anything else is anecdotal.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
bumbleroot

Let me get this straight now...
You are trying to tell us that acts of terrorism are not acts of terrorism anymore?
Please explain to me what we are supposed to be fighting, because your convoluted logic makes no sense to me.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:58 AM   #9
crimsonedge

Originally Posted by bumbleroot
You dumbasses don't realize that this is EXACTLY proof that we are NOT winning the war on terrorism. This is a terrorist act. And it is by Al Qaeda. It is because of our actions they did this. You haven't a clue how to beat this. It is, as we have heard over and over again, a multi-headed Hydra. You cut one head off, more grow (no pun intended).
If the solution to end terrorism was to install a Democratic state in the Middle East, then doing it with military force is the dumbest way to do that to end terrorism.

So now you admit Al Queda is in Iraq ? I thought you said they werent there Bumble ? Are they there or aren't they ?

Doesnt matter if they are Al Queda or not, the point is if we dont stay can you imagine what they will do to the populace without US troops there ? Think there will be any chance of having free elections ? Think there will be any chance of it getting better there ? I dont.
crimsonedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:09 PM   #10
Trech

Originally Posted by bumblepants
You are trying to tell us that acts of terrorism are not acts of terrorism anymore?
No. In fact I did not use the words "act" "terrorism" or "not" anywhere in my quote. What I told you is that a video of Iraqi's cutting a man's head off is simply proof of Iraqi's cutting a man's head off. It proves nothing else.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:16 PM   #11
cnjmorris

While I think the photos taken by our boys and that sheman are ridiculous and degrading, I think there is a stark difference in that and oh, chopping man's head off.
The father said he was glad it was quick.

By contrast prisoners have been forced to have sex with eachother and some have died as a result of beatings. Beheading is considered barbaric but try to justify beating someone so much that they die from internal bleeding.

Wrong is wrong.

Catcen, Level 65 Beastlord.

Newbie for life.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:20 PM   #12
bumbleroot

So now you admit Al Queda is in Iraq ? I thought you said they werent there Bumble ? Are they there or aren't they ?
Are you that dense?
Everyone knows that Al Qaeda has moved into Iraq because it is a haven for terrorists NOW. Everyone would have expected that to happen.
Back when Iraq was a secular state- IT DID NOT SUPPORT AL QAEDA.
How are those the same?
Old 05-11-2004, 12:27 PM   #13
Chiteng
Supporter

Where the hell have you been Trith? I said that LONG LONG ago.
And was denounced for being 'insane' and 'extreme' By YOU.

Does anyone here have the delusion that the same thing would NOT happen
to US, if the positions were not reversed? Get over that. The word 'rape'
would aquire a brand new meaning.

This is WAR. The idiot Prez and his band of egomaniacs have gotten us into
a WAR.

How do you win a war? You KILL THE ENEMY. There is no other way.
Kill them as painfully as possible, until they get the message.

OR GIVE IT UP. Because if you are NOT willing to kill them enemy,
You have already lost.

Just remember WHO got us into this meaningless and useless mess.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:31 PM   #14
Sakkath

This is fucking appalling, and I hope those that did it suffer a long and painful death.

But these people DO NOT REPRESENT either Islam, or the population of Iraq. You PLAY INTO THEIR HANDS if you think that they do.

And there is no proof that Al'Qaeda was actively operating in Iraq until after the coalition went in, as has been said before they were fundamentally opposed to Hussein. The invasion and subsequent occupation presented them with easier opportunities to kill westerners, and so there they went.
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:43 PM   #15
Chiteng
Supporter

If the 'innocent iraquis' are not willing to actively assist the US in the suppression of these nutcases, then they are not 'INNOCENT'.

They are simply part of the problem. They give complicit support to the
insurgents, by simply not reporting them.

That should be obvious.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Old 05-11-2004, 12:53 PM   #16
Alauradana

"Are you that dense?
Everyone knows that Al Qaeda has moved into Iraq because it is a haven for terrorists NOW. Everyone would have expected that to happen.
Back when Iraq was a secular state- IT DID NOT SUPPORT AL QAEDA.
How are those the same?" Quote bumble

Here we go again Bumble, remember several threads ago when I posted the link from the FBI--that showed that the remaining UNCAPTURED terrorist responsible for the first bombing on the WTC, was found in IRAQ? He was harbored there by the Iraqi government. They even found documentation in the Iraqi government supporting this. Wake up for crying out loud. Iraq did support them. How can you believe that these clerics are just suddenly grouping with Al Queda? Gullibility ranks high here today.
Alauradana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:57 PM   #17
Alauradana

Here are the links showing that Iraq did harbor terrorists prior to the war:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in510795.shtml

http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/terrorists/teryasin.htm

One link is showing the wanted page from the FBI, the other is an interview with the idiot.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:10 PM   #18
ShardmoonVer.1

Alert the media and check the tempeture in hell, because I agree some what with Chiteng. You are either in it to win it, or you have already lost.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:16 PM   #19
bumbleroot

He was harbored there by the Iraqi government.
Umm not by the government. There was no documentation showing he was supported by Iraq.

Chiteng you are 100% right. If we go in there and try to win this as a mamby-pamby half-ass war we have already lost. We now either take out Iraq or we leave it. The complicity of the Iraqis is costing us lives.
The sad thing is that we can demolish Iraq entirely and by virtue we will lose the war. This is a catch-22 of the highest level. Either we continue to enflame Arab hatred to us, widen our military scope or just pull out. I don't see that we can establish a gov't with the way we are going about it.

We have also got to stop thinking that we need to fight in conventional manners. We have to be brutal and ready to be brutal to win this war. It was a political hot potato when we started it, it will be that way still.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:16 PM   #20
Caelie123

Bumbleroot you should be well aware by now that terrorist don't need an excuse to kill innocent people. What they are doing is using what happened in the prison as an excuse.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:16 PM   #21
Lurikeen
Freaky

I agree with both Kiebler and Chiteng, so we know Satan is ice skating today!

Bush doesn't want a bloody war of defeat, because like daddy, he wants a "kinder, gentler" war. There is no such thing as a "sterile war".
Old 05-11-2004, 01:17 PM   #22
Alauradana

The problem is that we are trying to fight this war as gentleman playing by the rules. They are not playing by the rules so of course they have the edge. The Iraqis, UN and Red Cross will always scream foul if we don't abide by wartime conventions, but it is just accepted that the others don't. I find it absurd that these maniacs are beheading someone to show their disapproval of the prisoner abuse--there is no comparison and what they did is so much worse. If we went in there and cut off all the heads of the prisoners, I bet they would rethink their actions, but that will never happen because we are civilized and they are not.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:21 PM   #23
Chiteng
Supporter

War has no rules. Just like an election. In fact, an election IS a type of war.

There is no morality about it. Just political goals.

Did you achieve your goals? Yes or No? If you did, you won.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 05-11-2004, 01:23 PM   #24
Caelie123

Originally Posted by Chiteng
If the 'innocent iraquis' are not willing to actively assist the US in the suppression of these nutcases, then they are not 'INNOCENT'.

They are simply part of the problem. They give complicit support to the
insurgents, by simply not reporting them.
I agree with you 100% Chiteng. Time has come to take out every man, woman and child over there that shows any signs whatsoever of supporting the terrorist or insurgents. I say if anybody is spotted dancing in the streets over a dead American soldier or if anybody is seen cheering over a blown up tank, shoot em on the spot. I'm tired of this play nice crap because America is better than that. And for all those Iraqi prisoners that got it up the ass....kudos to the quilty parties. Those same prisoners would probably have liked nothing more than to see us Americans dead.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:23 PM   #25
Alauradana

Here you go Bumble--another link. It doesnt' really matter anyway, I am sure you will find a way to not believe it, given Saddam apparantly is your favorite dictator. What exactly about the man do you find so convincing that your brain cannot grasp the fact that this man killed thousands on innocent people, invaded anther country, hates our country, tried to assasinate our president, uses his own people as guinea pigs and you cannot believe that he was in bed with terrorists? You defend him so much on this board I cannot help but to wonder whose side you are on--it definitely isn't the American side.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/i...iraq-wtc_x.htm