Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2004, 08:36 PM   #1
bumbleroot

Default Seems like something else adding to jobs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004May10.html

Hey look at that cons- its called a link.

It is impossible to know how many of the 708,000 jobs created in the past three months are defense-related, since the Labor Department does not track defense contractor employment. But anecdotal evidence suggests the contribution is significant.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:46 PM   #2
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

a registered link to an oped . grats you.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
bumbleroot

I'm sorry but that is not an op-ed. It is a story. Just because it is contrary to what you want to hear doesn't make it an oped. You are proving, just like Zolmaz that you haven't a clue what an op-ed is.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Dont news stories have who, when, what and how? this is more maybe, what if and could be.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
ShardmoonVer.1

Ancedotal evidence?

Is the number 708,000 a guess?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:01 PM   #6
bumbleroot

Dont news stories have who, when, what and how? this is more maybe, what if and could be.
It depends on the story and its context. An op-ed is purely opinion. Sometimes the writer will use evidence to support themselves, sometimes they just have ideas.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Anecdotal_evidence
Old 05-10-2004, 09:34 PM   #7
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Well, I clicked on the link but I'm not going to register just to read the story.

What point are you getting at, Bumble? Is it that the jobs were created, or where the jobs came from, or are we waiting for the punch line where you say it can't be counted as "real" job growth because it's defense jobs related to the war?

You always have a point, you just like to make us dig it out of you. Why don't ya just out and say what you're thinking?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:48 PM   #8
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Why don't ya just out and say what you're thinking?
Good lord dont open Pandora's Box Brigid!!!
Old 05-11-2004, 02:42 AM   #9
pukagok

Defense spending increases jobs period, known fact. What do you think happened to all the engineers and technicians out there when clinton started thrashing the defense spending, it became harder and harder to find employment as an engineer or technician.
pukagok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 03:55 AM   #10
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Anecdotal: based on or consisting of reports or observations of usually unscientific observers. In other words, people are commenting on something they know little to nothing about. And does it really matter where the jobs come from? In my opinion, the two most important words on your quote are "jobs created".

By the way, if you want anyone to read the stories you find, copy and paste those that come from sites where one must register. I do not register for anything online that isn't necessary, and op-ed pieces linked by you that strengthen a point you haven't even made do not qualify.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:17 AM   #11
bumbleroot

If the jobs are related to the war, then it reasons that the tax cut has nothing to do with the job growth. It also is not as I have said before "adding money to the economy". It is only taking government money and distributing it amongst these companies.
Is it job growth? Yes. Is it sustainable? No. Is it long term? No? Hence these jobs are temporary.
I am sorry but the only true way to help the economy is fulfill one bottom line...
Add money to the economy. And we just have not done that at all. As I have said before, I don't have a problem at all with tax cuts, but all this one did was shift money from one part of the economy to another part of the economy. That is not monetary growth. That is what this economy needs.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:18 AM   #12
bumbleroot

The anecdotal evidence means that they have no means to measure this trend, but have evidence that it is a trend. They state that they don't know how large of a trend but they admit it is quite markable.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:23 AM   #13
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

More jobs = more people spending = more money into the economy. It also means more people paying taxes. These temporary jobs could very well provide the means to create permanent jobs. It also has a chance to not create a single one. Would not be very wise to rule out possibilities at the very beginning. I'm sensing a lot of negativity in you, bumble.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote