Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #1
bumbleroot

Default Why the Photos?

So I'm sitting here thinking about this Iraqi prisoner mess. I start thinking about the photos. Not so much about what is in them. But why they were taken. There are now published photos from more than one prison. Supposedly there are thousands of photos. That being said, why are there thousands of photos? Why would enlisted men take photos of these prisoners in compromising positions? What were they wanting to achieve?
I am starting to think that there was a purpose that the photos were taken and that they were even saved. If that was the case, then they would have been ordered to be taken and kept. Who ordered them to be taken? It didn't come from within each prison as the photos are from multiple prisons. This goes higher up than the individual prisons. There most likely was some type of directive at some level wanting photos taken. I don't know where that level was and I am not speculating where it was, but the problem appears to be systemic because of that. That is exactly what the White House does not want, because it is responsible for the systems. Although I would like to implicate the White House in this, I don't think this goes up to that level. I do, however think that there was a culture of anger and hate that exudes from the White House and that culture filters down into the ranks. The only implications from the White House on this are questions of leadership.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

The photos are snapshots taken by non professional photographers. I view them as a bunch of dipshit army asses immortalizing their exploits on film to remmeber a great time had by all. In those 'thousands' of photos there are also pics of Lindy Englund sucking another officers dick. sping break in abu ghraib wooha!!
Old 05-10-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
Lurikeen
Freaky

I agree with Chuk. The photos weren't saved for any purpose other than self-gratification. The photos were simply trophies.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
Maximus Faticus

After they were taken they were shown to the prisoners. I guess it is easier to get information out of someone if they feel humiliated.
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:03 PM   #5
Deadscale

I can't remember who published or distributed those photos, but they too helped the outrage that has risen. The abuse is still disgusting but if they could have surfaced another time, it would have possibly been "better" when the coalition was out of Iraq. Almost as bad as being tied up and having a guy hold a knife to you while someone gives him news that you banged his girl!
Old 05-10-2004, 05:42 PM   #6
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Not sure if anyone else saw, but I was dieing laughing at Linndie England's friends and family on the news (forget which channel) saying "You just don't know her- she's really a great person" despite all the gruesome pictorial evidence that begs to differ with their assessments.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

I saw that, her sister was giving an interview to NBC and she said that she wasnt smiling becuase she was torturing hundreds of Iraqis and getting away with it, but that she was just laughing at something comical the camerman was doing.

please
Old 05-10-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
bumbleroot

After they were taken they were shown to the prisoners. I guess it is easier to get information out of someone if they feel humiliated.
I can see this as being likely. That being so, this must have been a practice to humiliate and it was widespread if it was. That would render it systemic.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:44 PM   #9
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
I'm also inclined to believe it's a bunch of knuckleheads screwing around and taking pictures to prove their exploits later. From hearing some of my brothers' stories, the supervision is lacking in a lot of places over there, and they aren't likely to really pay attention until something as horrific as this lands on their CO's desk or in the hands of the media. Of course, by then, it's too late to correct the problem.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:46 PM   #10
bumbleroot

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4944094/

The report said “high-value detainees” were singled out for special mistreatment.
This is from the Red Cross report. I can not imagine a scenario where Private Joe would know exactly how to treat a high level prisoner without instructions. The fact that these "high-value" detainees were singled out tells me that this most likely is systemic and there was some kind of command telling the guards what exactly to do.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:46 PM   #11
Maximus Faticus

It could be widespread, but I don't think it is. The people who were doing most of the abuse were coming from independent interrogation agency's, and maybe the CIA I think. Well that's who the soldiers are blaming anyways.
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:59 PM   #12
bumbleroot

It is purely speculation as to how widespread it was. There are clues that can support any argument right now, but it is truly unclear exactly what has gone on so far.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #13
bumbleroot

How would any videos or photos of two soldiers having consensual sex be relevant to how the prisoners were treated?
Old 05-10-2004, 08:35 PM   #14
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

How would any videos or photos of two soldiers having consensual sex be relevant to how the prisoners were treated?
Exactly my point, they have nothing to do with torture but a lot to do with these soldiers attitude to the situation. Hey lets beat and humiliate these towelheads, then fuck and film the whole thing!!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:44 PM   #15
bumbleroot

Exactly my point, they have nothing to do with torture but a lot to do with these soldiers attitude to the situation. Hey lets beat and humiliate these towelheads, then fuck and film the whole thing!!
I don't see how two people fucking around means that they were inclined to torture anyone. It doesn't mean that they would lean towards these malicious acts. When people are working together day after day and on the other side of the world, that is going to happen.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:51 PM   #16
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

You have a habit of filming you fucking your coworkers dude? Not many coworkers on a paper route but ya know what i mean ;p
Old 05-10-2004, 08:54 PM   #17
bumbleroot

You have a habit of filming you fucking your coworkers dude? Not many coworkers on a paper route but ya know what i mean ;p
Life would be a lot simpler if I ran a paper route.

You also don't know much about military quarters. Yoiu don't just work with the people, you practically live with them.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:02 PM   #18
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

This is more about "what i did on my spring vacation" than developing a relationship with someone special. They used cameras to capture the best moments of torture on prisoners and they used those same cameras to capture the fucking they did. This aint love or even lust. Its just juvenile behavior by poorly trained ignorant backwoods west virginia shithead soldiers.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:36 AM   #19
Kanjien

Two things to be said here. First...these soldiers on film were not regular army...they were reserves. Second...in my opinion...and this is ONLY my opinion...these people were not trained well and were told that they needed to help "soften up" the prisoners for interogation...only they were not instructed on what that meant. Then they took it way too far...and sadistically took pictures for their "memories". They deserve to be tried to the full extent of the law...and the command who allowed them to do this with no guidance and training needs the same.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:43 AM   #20
Ulujain

That Lynndie chick looks like a guy anyway.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:59 AM   #21
Caoilfhionn
Erotic, exotic & a little psychotic

Send a message via ICQ to Caoilfhionn Send a message via MSN to Caoilfhionn
Originally Posted by Ulujain
That Lynndie chick looks like a guy anyway.
But...Ulujain! She's a sweet girl with a sense of humor to boot, just the kinda girl you want to take home to Mom, and have bear your children!
Caoilfhionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:05 AM   #22
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

I saw that, her sister was giving an interview to NBC and she said that she wasnt smiling becuase she was torturing hundreds of Iraqis and getting away with it, but that she was just laughing at something comical the camerman was doing.
LMAO!! I can't believe she would think anyone could buy that. Priceless.
I can not imagine a scenario where Private Joe would know exactly how to treat a high level prisoner without instructions.
You're kidding, right? You think it takes an officer to think up having prisoners strip down and blow each other? Christ man, get a grip. I'm not ruling out that they could have been working under direction, but it is also entirely possible that they weren't. I'm more inclined to believe that they were acting alone and not apart of some huge conspiracy that filters down from the White House, but then I don't own a tin foil cap either.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:08 AM   #23
Caoilfhionn
Erotic, exotic & a little psychotic

Send a message via ICQ to Caoilfhionn Send a message via MSN to Caoilfhionn
Originally Posted by Wildane
but then I don't own a tin foil cap either.
Lies! I live in the state next to you, fucker! You know it's all the rage!
Caoilfhionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:11 AM   #24
bumbleroot

This is more about "what i did on my spring vacation" than developing a relationship with someone special. They used cameras to capture the best moments of torture on prisoners and they used those same cameras to capture the fucking they did. This aint love or even lust. Its just juvenile behavior by poorly trained ignorant backwoods west virginia shithead soldiers.
As I said before, this is pure speculation. I can't quite see the sense in playing a guessing game at this point. I believe there are both political and military ramifications in this case. I don't know how wide they are but that is where it stands and that is the only place it stands until we start getting some answers.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:18 AM   #25
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Goddamnit Cao, shup! Don't make me come tell all your neighbors how much you love banjo music!

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote