Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Default Terry Schiavo case update

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/127/...p_brain:.shtml

No real commentary other than this story gets sadder the longer it stretches on.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:00 AM   #2
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Without a decision made by Terry herself, we don't know exactly what she wants. I don't think anybody has the right to say she should die. Nobody should be exterminated against their will...born or unborn. It's almost like the Nazis killing off the retarded and lame during WW2 just because they were "defective".
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:00 AM   #3
Lurikeen
Freaky

Judas Priest: Brain Dead

Turn me off
Pull the plug
Leave me with some dignity
I am not
What I was
And I don't need the sympathy

Alive inside me
No one can hear me

Brain dead
I'm not
Brain dead
Sentenced
Forgot

Paralysed
In my shell
Enduring every
Endless day

Immobilized
On my back
Aware of everything
They say

Extricate me
Eliminate me

Brain dead
I'm not
Brain dead
Drip fed
Forgot

I can't blink my eye or cry
Or even speak
They crowd around my bed
Condescending words are said
Thinking I don't hear or know
What is going on - Hello!
Can't you suckers hear my cries
From inside I'm still alive
It's my decision to abort
Turn off the goddamn life support

Let me pass
From this world
So I fade away in peace

Comprehending
Unrelenting

Brain dead
I'm not
Brain dead
Sentenced
Forgot

Brain dead
I'm not
Brain dead
Drip fed
Forgot
Old 05-06-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
Martigan
Supporter

I don't know...it's kind of weird...every time I think of this case now, the lady in her state, laying in bed and all... makes me think of Kill Bill Volume 1 with that orderly and stuff.

Picture Terry waking up and chewing some guys' neck open, then slicing an orderly's achilles and slamming his head in the door repeatedly...then taking off in a stolen "Pussy Wagon".
Old 05-06-2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Felessan

She have a "Living Will"?

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:20 AM   #6
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

No, it said she left no written instructions were she to be incapacitated.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:21 AM   #7
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

The issue is her husband says she wanted to die, her parents say she would want to be kept alive, and the courts can't make up their mind about which way to go. She'll die of "natural" causes before the constant verdict/appeal/verdict/appeal process stops.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #8
Alauradana

At this point, the court case is about who has the right to decide, the husband or the parents; it is not about whether she lives or dies. The law is written that the next of kin is the person who has the right to make the decision when there isn't a will. Husbands are considered next of kin over the parents. That is why the decision was ruled unconstitutional--her next of kin said to let her die and Jeb Bush stepped in and ruled in favor of the parents.

Regardless of whether pulling the plug is right or wrong, taking the decision away from the next of kin was incorrect. My husband and I have been together for 17 years and he knows more about how I feel right now than my parents, that is why the law is written that way. Furthermore, I would be horrified if the state had the right to make that decision over my husband.
Alauradana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:07 PM   #9
Caelie123

She didn't have a living will. If the parents and the husband agreed on what should be done, it would be a matter of them making the decision. The problem is which one actually has the legal right to make the decision for her. The courts can't seem to figure that one out. I would say the husband, but everytime the courts rule in his favor it get's overturned by another court.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

I do agree that the husband should get the say, if there's a say to be had.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:32 PM   #11
bumbleroot

Charge her with Murder one and Fry her ass.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:48 PM   #12
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Old 05-06-2004, 12:56 PM   #13
Veo

Ask anyone if they'd want to be kept in a vegative state for 13 years, and see how many people would say "sure, I'll be a broccoli for a while."

When she got married, she gave rights to her husband that allows him to decide what sort of medical procedures can be done to her when she cannot make the decision herself. Jeb Bush is just using this as political fodder, and her parents, while loving people, are only making things worse.
Veo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #14
Martigan
Supporter

When she got married, she gave rights to her husband that allows him to decide what sort of medical procedures can be done to her when she cannot make the decision herself.
What ever happened to the vows..."through sickness and health...til death do us part" ??

Maybe we should modify the vows to say ... "through sickness and health, with the exception of a vegitative state....til death, including subjectively-prognosised brain death, do we part."
Old 05-06-2004, 01:07 PM   #15
bumbleroot

Jeb Bush is just using this as political fodder
Although I agree, Jeb did not make this happen. I believe he has some principal at stake in this as well. I also think that to a larger extent others are using Jeb in this matter and he is complying.
The sad thing about this whole case is that Terry Schiavo is the only person in the world who actually knows where Hussein hid his WMDs.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:26 PM   #16
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Well, bumble, you just answered the nagging question in my mind of just how humorless a person can be. Thanks!

And I'm sorry, but once the brain is dead, what good is keeping the body going? She's gone, just let her go.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:54 PM   #17
bumbleroot

once the brain is dead, what good is keeping the body going?
2004 Republican Party motto.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:54 AM   #18
Veo

Originally Posted by Martigan
What ever happened to the vows..."through sickness and health...til death do us part" ??

Maybe we should modify the vows to say ... "through sickness and health, with the exception of a vegitative state....til death, including subjectively-prognosised brain death, do we part."
So, being in a vegetative state is a disease? Give her some Robitussin and she'll be all set. Sh'es not sick. Her brain is damaged beyond repair.

Can you honestly say that if you were in a vegetative state for 13 years with little chance of recovery, you'd want to be kept alive and keep your family in pain?

Would you want your wife to live in such a state for 13+ years with little chance of recovery?

Terry is, for all intents and purposes, dead. I'm not uncaring, if that's how I come across. There is a slim chance of her recovering, and it's not like her husband is pulling the plug only after a year of her being like this. It's been 14 years since the heart attack that did this.

News update - http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...iavo-law_x.htm : Looks like Terry's husband may win.
Veo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:20 AM   #19
Caelie123

I've been faced with making a similar decision and I can't believe her parents are being so defiant.

I watched my mom go downhill for 8 weeks after a surgery. Well actually after 3 back to back surgeries. After the 3rd surgery, she never opened her eyes again. She was on 100% vent, 100% oxygen and due to the infection her organs were shutting down one by one.

After the 3rd surgery, we walked in her ICU room for 5 days to see her lieing there in a coma, kept alive only by machines. Several Doctors sat us down (me and my two brothers) and said "There may be some miracle that she could pull thru this infection, but if she did her lungs and kidneys are so damaged from the infection, that if she did recover she would be on 100% vent and have to go to dyalisis about 5 times a week for the rest of her life. Would she want this quality of life". With tears in our eyes, we all 3 said No! The next day, they took her off the vent. She took 2 breaths and died.

It's just hard for me to imagine what her parents must be thinking in wanting to keep her alive. They're either being selfish or vindictive against the husband. There is no way they can be doing this out of the love for their daughter. Nobody that I can think of would want to live in a vegetative state or in a state in which they are kept alive by machines only.

Making that decision isn't difficult. Of course it's difficult to let the loved one go, but the decision to remove life support is a no brainer when you put the interest of the loved one first.

Originally Posted by Veo
Terry is, for all intents and purposes, dead. I'm not uncaring, if that's how I come across. There is a slim chance of her recovering, and it's not like her husband is pulling the plug only after a year of her being like this.
Veo, I don't think you're uncaring at all. If they remove the feeding tube and she dies, yes you are correct. She is already dead. When they removed the vent from my mom and she took 2 breaths and died, that was a clear indication to us that she was already gone before they ever removed the vent.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:06 AM   #20
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Caelie
They're either being selfish or vindictive against the husband. There is no way they can be doing this out of the love for their daughter. Nobody that I can think of would want to live in a vegetative state or in a state in which they are kept alive by machines only.
I think their grief is making them behave they way they are. People act very unusual at times when suffering.