Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #1
Lurikeen
Freaky

Default Hearts And Minds : Larry Durstin : Sacramental Politics

I think the following commentary is dead on. Oh, and, for those who will cry that the following is just an op-ed... who cares?

One of the biggest issues American society has had to deal with over the past several decades is the profound erosion of trust in our institutions. And with the most graphic recent example of this problem being the Catholic Church's systematic cover-up of priestly abuses, it's safe to say that the church's hierarchy has an institutional credibility problem.

Maybe that's why the Vatican has chosen to single out pro-choice politicians to be denied the sacrament of communion. However, this contrived edict smacks of both moral relativism and good old-fashioned hypocrisy, and appears to be little more than yet another futile grandstand play designed to salvage what's left of Rome's dwindling spiritual authority.

As someone who has been a staunch supporter of a woman's right to choose, Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry has been the target of some conservative Catholic leaders in this country who want to make sure he is turned away from the communion rail. However, we don't hear these same righteously indignant voices calling for Republicans Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rudy Giuliani, George Pataki and Tom Ridge — all pro-choice Catholic politicians — to have the ecclesiastical hammer brought down on them during mass.

Nor do we hear of any politicians being threatened with banishment from the sacraments for being in favor of the death penalty, which is also against church doctrine; or for stridently advocating three-strikes-and-you're-out type punishments, which certainly fly in the face of the church's position on forgiveness and mercy; or for voting in favor of cutting services for the poor; or for supporting the pre-emptive war in Iraq, which the Pope was supposedly against but has been quiet as a church mouse about while tens of thousands are suffering and dying.

When I was studying at the feet of the Holy Cross brothers way back when, the focus on Kerry and abortion to the exclusion of all these other politically relevant church teachings would have come under the dreaded category of moral relativism and would have required anyone advocating such heresy to beat a hasty path to the confessional.

Of course, if these regressive members of the church hierarchy had any moral fortitude, they wouldn't just single out one Democratic politician for sacramental denial based on the abortion issue. Instead, they would condemn any Catholic who went to a pro-choice rally, donated to an abortion-rights group, wore a button in support of Roe v. Wade, voted for a pro-choice candidate, had an abortion herself, drove a woman to an abortion clinic, worked for Planned Parenthood or other similar organizations, etc., etc., etc.

Because ultimately, what difference does it make if you're a public figure or private individual supporting abortion rights? It's what's in your heart and in your behavior that matters. So if the church is so hell-fire committed to eradicating abortion, it should get serious about it, lay off the lame tokenism directed at Kerry, and start turning the screws on the laity.

The reason that will never happen is that the majority of this country's 65 million Catholics essentially agree with Kerry's position that abortion should not be criminalized. And skeptical American congregations are in no mood to listen to directives from a morally questionable hierarchy and would pay about as much attention to this as they do to the church's laughable restraints on birth control.

True, members of the Mel Gibson wing of the church — who trace all societal problems back to the demise of the Latin mass — would love to see as many congregants as possible subjected to fire and brimstone dictums. But the majority of church fathers, with an eye to dwindling collection baskets, know they can't afford any more Catholics taking their donations elsewhere and aren't about to press the issue.

One of the unfortunate consequences of certain conservative prelates jumping on Kerry for his position on choice is that it rekindles old-time fears about Catholic politicians being beholden to the Pope. In 1960, John F. Kennedy went to great lengths to assure the electorate that he would exercise independence from Rome when it came to public policy. Now we have the Vatican clearly putting pressure on Catholic politicians to toe the line on abortion or suffer public condemnation and be stripped of participating in the church's central sacrament.

In this feeble attempt to advance the agenda of the Republican party, the Vatican and its reactionary apologists among the American bishops have again revealed themselves as both sinister and somewhat irrelevant. Most Catholics will resent being told how to vote and will either ignore or become enraged by such selective moralizing and transparent politicking. Worse, many will see it — rightly or wrongly— as a smokescreen to deflect attention from the church's handling of abuse cases.

So when the conservative doomsayers moan about how our once-sacred institutions been destroyed by leftist policies, let's hope they have the guts to point the finger at right-wing elements within the Catholic Church for this particularly egregious dereliction of spiritual duty.

From Freetimes.com
Old 05-06-2004, 08:59 AM   #2
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Op Ed is fact

Also opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
please continue.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #3
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by chukzombi
Also opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
please continue.
Some assholes smell better than others.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
crimsonedge

Great now I have a picture of you on your hands and knees smelling butts...thanks a lot.
crimsonedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
Felessan

Originally Posted by crimsonedge
Great now I have a picture of you on your hands and knees smelling butts...thanks a lot.

Bwahahaaa

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:06 AM   #6
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Hi, im Chukzombi and i approve this message.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:16 AM   #7
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
Originally Posted by Lurikeen
Hearts And Minds : Larry Durstin : Sacramental Politics
Why should I give a shit about politics in Sacremento!
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:47 AM   #8
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Sacramento? Dang, I thought it had something to do with the Catholic church

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
Alauradana

we don't hear these same righteously indignant voices calling for Republicans Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rudy Giuliani, George Pataki and Tom Ridge — all pro-choice Catholic politicians — to have the ecclesiastical hammer brought down on them during mass.

Hmm...maybe because these guys aren't running for PRESIDENT?????? and these guys weren't using their religion as part of their campaign????

I think it is hilarious that you post here that it is opinion and you don't care. When I post my opinion on other threads, you're the one screaming for proof. All you dems flip-flop.
Alauradana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #10
Lurikeen
Freaky

Alauradana, unlike you, I am not trying to pass off the commentary as being anything other than opinion. That's the difference.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:56 PM   #11
Alauradana

it is not "unlike me"--on the other thread it was very apparent I was being sarcastic and that I was not passing off what I said as fact--you fail to have a sense of humor or to be able to read between the lines.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:01 PM   #12
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Alauradana
it is not "unlike me"--on the other thread it was very apparent I was being sarcastic and that I was not passing off what I said as fact--you fail to have a sense of humor or to be able to read between the lines.
I have a great sense of humor. I post here, that should be proof enough.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:02 PM   #13
Alauradana

Well I still don't believe this is the "real" you. You have been tooooooo nice since you came back
Old 05-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #14
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Alauradana
Well I still don't believe this is the "real" you. You have been tooooooo nice since you came back
Changed my drugs and drink a different beer label. It worked a miracle on my attitude.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:22 PM   #15
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Well, I wouldn't go for the tooooooo nice, but I have to say I am quite impressed with how Lurikeen hasn't been his old insulting self.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #16
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Also opinions are like assholes, everybody has one
When I get that trademarked you will owe me a dollar Chuk.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #17
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
Changed my drugs and drink a different beer label. It worked a miracle on my attitude.
Holy crap, your right about something.

Actually different beers have different effects. My ex used to drink Bud and
was always a bitch untill I made her start drinking a different brand. Coors lite
I think. Then she became a happy drunk.

Z..
Zolmaz Zo'Boto is offline   Reply With Quote