Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2004, 11:53 PM   #1
Leldari L
MOD

Send a message via AIM to Leldari L
Unhappy Tech Support Outsourcing Rant

Sorry to interrupt your regularly scheduled ranting but I had to get this off my chest before I call Bellsouth and rip someone's head off and shit down the hole.

About 11:30PM last night my internet connection dropped while I was playing EQ. Not a big deal, I called tech support to see if there was a system issue or if the scheduled upgrade of my account to their new faster DSL service had caused the problem and how long they expected the problem to last.

The first person I got was Eric. Unfortunately Eric was not named Eric at birth and spoke very heavily accented English. As a tech I have worked with many foreign nationals who spoke with an accent so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and when he said there was no system issue I started working with him to correct what seemed to be a problem on my end. Eric took me to Internet tools and had me delete my temp internet files s.o.p so far. Then he wanted me to drop my disc space to 0mb and leave it there. Very not standard. When my pesky little OS said I could only drop it to 1mb Eric got nasty and told me I could drop it to zero and I wasn't co-operating with him.

I then asked for Eric's supervisor. He transferred me to Nicole....again obviously not her birth name and again a heavy accent was present. At that point I asked if tech support had been outsourced. Well golly gee Batman it had indeed and I was speaking to folks in India. I again went thru all the standard troubleshooting with Nicole. This time there was no wacky attempt to drop my temp internet folder to 0mb. Instead Nicole decided to contact my local phone company and see if my line was out. My damn DSL is through Bellsouth as is my local service. They are the same fucking company, and I was talking to her on my home phone. Nicole came back and informed me that my local phone lines were down and would be down til noon today. I informed her that was not possible. She said that was what the phone company told her and would not give me a name or contact number for who she spoke to.

Being of average intelligence I called my local repair center next. Well the nice lady there informs me that they have no outages or scheduled maintenence in my area. Duh.

I call tech support again. I get Devon, Devon seems to be at least fairly competent. We review the comedy of errors thus far. Devon checks system outages and finds there is an update to the web and mail servers schedules from 11PM to 3AM. I thank him profusely for actually checking and hang up.

The reason I knew Devon was telling the truth was that Bellsouth's phone system for DSL tech support was fubar and telling me that they were closed. I had to call dial-up support and get transferred to DSL support. They had a recording on their phone line about an outage for dial-up customers. The first tech Eric had told me that it didn't extend to DSL.

My rant is if I am paying close to $60 a month in fees and taxes for internet service I damn well expect competent service and a reasonable command of the English language from my tech support regardless of the country it is located in. I do NOT expect to be lied to or be called unco-operative simply because the tech is asking me to do the impossible. I doubt my call to Bellsouth tomorrow will be anymore productive than this rant. That said I will most likely be transferring my service to Comcast where I personally know most of the techs by first name and know they are competent. I am voting with my feet and my vote is for no more outsourcing to people who can't handle the job.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:07 AM   #2
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

A couple of years ago, I got a Dell computer. Normally I build my own, but this time, I didn't feel like going through the hassle. I work with Dell's at my job and I made sure I got one that I could easily upgrade (plus the modular cases are teh win). Well, about a month after I got it, my computer kept locking up. Since the computer was under warranty, I decided to call tech support and let someone else do my thinking for me. Well, at the time I didn't know the jobs were being outsourced to India, and I got a gentlemen with a rather thick accent. Now, I have no doubt that there are plenty of computer-competent people living in India; that wasn't my main problem. The problem was basic communication. I couldn't get it through his head that I was a computer tech and had already done some basic troubleshooting. It ended up being an exercise in frustration, as he couldn't understand me, and I was having a hard time understanding him. Upon realizing the futility of the situation, I ended our call and tried tech support again. Oy...

The second time I called tech support, I again got someone with a rather heavy accent, and I thought "wow, what are the chances of that?" Well, giving them the benefit of the doubt, I described my problem to this new person, explaining what I'd done and my conversation with another tech. Well, this call turned out to be as fruitless as the first. He may have been God's gift to computers, but I didn't know what the fuck he was saying and vice versa. Looking back, it was rather comical, but at the time, this wasn't getting my computer fixed. I had to give up on this one, too.

The third time I called tech support, I actually got someone in Texas, whose only accent was faintly southern. I explained to him my frustrations with my previous two calls and he explained to me that those calls had apparently been routed to their call center in India. After experssing my disdain for such a horrible idea, he patiently helped me solve my problem.

I still have my Dell, although it's been altered since then, but I highly doubt I will ever buy another. If that is what tech support has been reduced to, I'll just do my own from now on. I just don't understand how these companies can see this as a good practice. I mean, I know my way around a computer; I'd hate to see if someone like my mom had to deal with this situation. She doesn't understand me when I talk about computers, and English is my primary language.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:59 AM   #3
Hansum Gnomestomp

A couple of years ago, I got a Dell computer.

I would have 43% less business per year if Dell did not outsource their support. Average computer users out there can not handle the crap. They call me because they can not understand the accents, can not comprehend what the people are trying to get them to do or are just plain fed up with "you will be and doing a system restore now for us at this time in the present yes?"
Ghandi was cool yes, but you know what, here in america while many supported his ideals, we still couldn't understand a fucking word he said. Always fun to call them and keep asking them to speak English.

I have gotten to the point that the local "Dell technician" will not work with or talk to myself or people I have as subcontractors.

They have 3 solutions usually
1- it is a virus and your fault, run norton until it no longer comes up and then call us back
2- do a system restore
3- we will be sending our Technician "Mike" over and he will be replacing your Hard Drive, you will lose all your family photos etc etc.........

So I hope Dell keeps outsourcing Support and that other companies try this wonderfully thought out idea...... I can always use the business.
Hansum Gnomestomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:52 AM   #4
Shawna Hellsbain

Almost every communications company I have been involved with lately has had their tech support outsourced to India or another far eastern company. They seem to forget that 'communication' is part of their job.

Worse yet, some folks involved in my company think this is the way we should go too. I will fight that with all my ability.
Shawna Hellsbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:55 AM   #5
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
I disagree completely. As a Native Indian, I prefer Indian tech support. My countrymen are smarter than Americans, more patient than Americans, and generally smell better. We also do not have that ass faggot George Bush as our president. That means that the tax dollars from these workers working do not support him or any of his Nazi Facist government programs like the invasion of the soveriegn nation of Iraq. Plus, I also enjoy speaking to tech support in my native tongue.
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:18 AM   #6
Shawna Hellsbain

I guess that would be all fine if you were the only nationality that needed tech support wouldn't it.

I also like to speak to tech support in my native tongue.
Shawna Hellsbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:37 AM   #7
Wildane

Plus, I also enjoy speaking to tech support in my native tongue.
Well, as Shawna alluded to, that's the whole purpose of the rant, right there. I don't care how well their command of the English language, there will always be something lost in the translation. If I wanted conduct business in the Indian tongue, I'd move to India.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-05-2004, 07:48 AM   #8
Trech

/snicker
Old 05-05-2004, 07:53 AM   #9
Jelceie

I disagree completely. As a Native Indian, I prefer Indian tech support. My countrymen are smarter than Americans, more patient than Americans, and generally smell better. We also do not have that ass faggot George Bush as our president. That means that the tax dollars from these workers working do not support him or any of his Nazi Facist government programs like the invasion of the soveriegn nation of Iraq. Plus, I also enjoy speaking to tech support in my native tongue.
This coming from an Indian with the surname "Maggotface"?

I rest my case.

Now I sound like a Bigot =-(
Jelceie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:30 AM   #10
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

A couple of years ago, I got a Dell computer. Normally I build my own, but this time, I didn't feel like going through the hassle.
I did that too, and from now on, I'm building my own computer. The only reason I bought Dell was for the tech support and warranty. Now that the tech support went to shit, why the hell would anyone buy Dell.
Valleycrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:51 AM   #11
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
/cackle Trech
Evil... I guess people don't remember details...
Ice Weasel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:02 AM   #12
Inmountains

Trech
I agree, I prefer to get tech support in MY NATIVE LANGUAGE. Especially if I bought my computer from my own country.

If you think President George W Bush is so bad, why stay here, move back to India where you will be happy with all the opportunity's there. It really rankles me when someone moves here from another country and then whines about America. Bush was elected and that is the way it is!!! You have the right to disagree with his politics, but to call it Nazi or Facist is taking it too far.
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:18 AM   #13
Leldari L
MOD

Send a message via AIM to Leldari L
Just a short update, I have been navigating the customer complaints phone tree for the past hour. What I find truly amazing is the number of people working for Bellsouth who either had no clue that DSL tech support was being outsourced or didn't know that it had already begun.

So far I have been promised two free months of service like two free months is a big deal when you can't get decent support. I have called the corporate offices and spoken to the president's secretary (or someone who says she is). She is having the vice-president in charge of internet communications (or someone who will claim to be him/her) call me back.

I am ready to pursue this through web forums and local media. Between the bad tech support, the lost local jobs and the runaround I have gotten this has become a crusade for me.

If any other Bellsouth DSL customers care to add their voices the corporate number is 404-249-2000
Old 05-05-2004, 11:43 AM   #14
Flub Man
Here's to you liberals!!!

Trech, you ignorant racist!! I too wold like to have tech support in my native tongue. But unlike you I don't go around calling people of other countries ignorant!!

"Starkville is the Indian word for Trailer Park."
~ Skip Bertman

'I was just wrong. Flub you are correct.'
~bumble
Flub Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:49 AM   #15
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Trech
That means that the tax dollars from these workers working do not support him or any of his Nazi Facist government programs like the invasion of the soveriegn nation of Iraq.
Isn't the Bush campaign outsourcing phone bank jobs to Inida, soliciting to raise money for his campain?

I am sure those donating like to speak to the phone solicitors in their "native tongue", too.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:28 PM   #16
Trech

Ok now you've just confused me Lurikeen. If you would please rephrase in Hindu I could understand you better
Old 05-05-2004, 02:41 PM   #17
Vireil
Disturbing the force

Originally Posted by Republican Telephone solicitors from the subcontinent fundraiser's script
We would like to be thanking you very much for the contributions that you have been making to the Republican National Comittee and this the new campaign of George W. Bush for President of the United States!
Vireil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #18
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Trech is about as Indian as I am Democrat...

and the only native language I ever hear him speak is Budweiser.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #19
darue_ivywood

Vireil... you forgot something in that quote....

< in Apu's Voice >

Thank You, come again.

darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:58 PM   #20
Hansum Gnomestomp

Trech
LOL Man!

Just fucking LOL

You made my week.
Thanks
Hansum Gnomestomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:15 PM   #21
Lurikeen
Freaky

[...]

Last edited by Lurikeen; 05-06-2004 at 06:32 AM.
Lurikeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:03 AM   #22
Trech

Hindu Muthafucka do you speak it!? Now say what again. Say what one more goddamn time!!

PS. My wallet is the one that says bad motherfucker on it
Old 05-06-2004, 05:43 AM   #23
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Trech just served some folks, bigtime. What a surprise that Inmountains, the self-proclaimed "genius" took it hook, line, and sinker.

Nice one Trech

Anyway, I got a Dell for the warranty and tech support also. I haven't really needed the tech support, since very time I called they can't figure out the solution; I've had to pull out and nuke it from orbit (aka, format c twice so far.

The warranty is a big plus, though.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #24
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Trech, make me some Chicken Tikka Masala plzkkthx

Honestly, I don't know that the Indian tech centers are any worse than the ones in the deep South. Both accents are nearly unintelligible for a yankee like myself.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:58 AM   #25
Wildane

That's because yankees are devoid of any character