Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2004, 09:06 AM   #1
Lurikeen
Freaky

Default Should US tax dollars be spent on Iraqi news companies?

Editor of U.S.-funded Iraqi newspaper quits, complaining of American control

By Lee Keath, Associated Press

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - The head of a U.S.-funded Iraqi newspaper quit and said Monday he was taking almost his entire staff with him because of American interference in the publication.

On a front-page editorial of the Al-Sabah newspaper, editor-in-chief Ismail Zayer said he and his staff were "celebrating the end of a nightmare we have suffered from for months ... We want independence. They (the Americans) refuse."

Al-Sabah was set up by U.S. officials with funding from the Pentagon soon after the fall of Saddam Hussein last year. Since its first issue in July, many Iraqis have considered it the mouthpiece of the U.S.-led coalition, along with the U.S.-funded television station Al-Iraqiya.

Zayer said almost the entire staff left the paper along with him and that they were launching a new paper called Al-Sabah Al-Jedid ("The New Morning"), which would begin publishing Tuesday.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGABJ4FXSTD.html

My issue is with "The head of a U.S.-funded Iraqi newspaper..." and yes, I have an issue with the Bush administration clamping down on the freedom of press in Iraq which sends the Iraqis a mixed message, but that isn't what I am drawing attention to here.

I don't think reconstruction dollars should be spent on Iraqi media, like newspapers. Can't these people support their own newspapers? Why should US taxpayers foot this sort of bill?
Old 05-04-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
Everclear

I think that we were funding a paper, since we closed down thier free press. I think it was basically just another part of Bush's scam to occupy Iraq... but call it "liberation".
Everclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
Chiteng
Supporter

Same as the Third Reich allowing foreign press to tag along with the Wehrmacht. Its because if you want the world to know you are winning,
you have to allow someone to publish that.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:44 AM   #4
Vireil
Disturbing the force

No, US Tax dollars should not be going to this. As a matter of fact, US tax dollars should only be funding the ongoing military operations there.
Vireil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
Maximus Faticus

What about all the reconstruction?
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:34 PM   #6
Vireil
Disturbing the force

The reconstruction effort can be paid for by the Iraqis. The Iraqi's get the benefit of a reconstructed country, they can pay for it. We know who's hands the money is ending up in anyway, but that's an entire rant to itself. Think about it.. US tax dollars going towards systems for Iraqi's where they get free health care and education? Not until we have those things here first.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
Maximus Faticus

I agree. But if we don't help with the reconstruction then we will be there a hell of a lot longer. Which means a bigger bill for extending the time we need to keep troops there. Another benifit to helping with the reconstruction is lower discontent, which in turn will save some of our troops lives.
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #8
Vireil
Disturbing the force

We've been "helping" with the Reconstruction for a little over a year now. Last time I checked the body count was going up.

I don't believe that the level of discontent is getting lower. In fact, we are showing them that we are SOFT and they are going to sense that weakness and be emboldened.

The US does not negotiate with terrorists..... The US will however allow for a political course of action to bear fruit.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:20 PM   #9
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Hey look everyone. Another Bush bashing thread. Surprise..

Say, We should let newspapers over the create dissent and
feed information about our forces so more of our troops can be killed.
Just like the media here in the states enboldens terrorism to continue
by making them believe their winning.

You people are so stupid it's entertaining.

God Bless America
Zolmaz
Zolmaz Zo'Boto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:51 AM   #10
Sakkath

This would have been money well spent. What some of you consistently fail to understand is that you cannot win this (or most other) wars through military might alone. Thankfully even the US admin realise this, or they'd be doomed to failure. I'd wager that money spent on appropriate 'soft' tactics can help reduce the financial and human cost of 'harder' tactics in some situations.

Paying (a pretty insignificant amount) to give themselves a voice to the Iraqi people and allow them to get information across can help save lives.

Currently the US is losing the propoganda war in Iraq, many many lives are at stake if they fail to appeal to the moderate majority.
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote