Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2004, 09:24 PM   #26
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
How is this even an issue?

Oregon's in-cell television policy springs from years of frustration in finding incentives for good behavior among prisoners serving mandatory sentences.
If you are required to serve 5 years, what incentive are you given to behave well? Parole is obviously not an option with a mandatory sentence.

So they are allowed to work to earn a TV. Not a single taxpayer cent goes into it, simply what the inmate earns from his in-prison job.

Why is anyone outraged about this?
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:46 AM   #27
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

I wonder if the victim he brutalized enjoys knowing her attacker can sit around all day and watch shows on a flat screen TV?
What makes you think they can sit around watching TV in their cell for any longer period of time than they can spend watching the TV in the public room? If they aren't (which I'm pretty sure), then I ask again: what's it matter where they watch it?

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:02 AM   #28
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Maybe i watched too many prison movies growing up, but dont inmates usually sit in their cell 23 hours out of the day and get 1 hour for rcreation/food? Most prisons dont have road ganging so with 23 hours inside your small room the tube would play a large part. Ares if this prisoner is earning money on the inside why isnt any of that money going into his room and board so it can lighten the load of the tax payers some?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:43 AM   #29
Wildane

He's doing computer drafting for a few dollars a day. I would think that type of work would pull in more than a few dollars an hour, so perhaps he is helping pay for room and board in an indirect way. And while you don't see prisoners on the side of the road in shackles breaking rocks anymore, the prison movies I saw growing up always had prisoners doing some type of work detail, whether it be working in a field or some type of factory setting.

I think we should see more of this, personally. I don't know if license plates are still manufactured in prisons, but I think it would be highly beneficial to see prisoners manufacturing goods for peanuts, or even nothing. People could buy goods from stores and that money could go towards running the prison itself, so as to lighten up the load for taxpayers. It could also go towards teaching prisoners a trade, so they can become more productive members of society when they get out.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-05-2004, 06:12 AM   #30
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

He's doing computer drafting for a few dollars a day. I would think that type of work would pull in more than a few dollars an hour, so perhaps he is helping pay for room and board in an indirect way
Oh i missed that part. He has PC access too, what terrible conditions this poor man has endured! Lets not forget why this person is in there, It isnt to mess around with the PC or vedge out in front of the TV afterwards. Im pretty sure the state pays 100% of their stay in the penn so all the money he earns in prison is his to do with whatever he wants.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:42 AM   #31
Wildane

Im pretty sure the state pays 100% of their stay in the penn so all the money he earns in prison is his to do with whatever he wants.
Yes, but you miss my point. Instead of paying someone an exorbitant amount to do that type of work, they pay this guy a "few dollars a day" to do the same thing. The money they save by doing this could go to more useful areas, which is what I meant by him indirectly helping to pay the way. Also, PC access does not equal internet access, so I doubt we have many prisoners surfing the web.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:50 AM   #32
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Why is anyone outraged about this
Because the fucktards broke the law and very likely harmed other law abiding citizens while doing it. They should not be sent to "prison" to get club med treatment. Prisoners need a tiny cell with a bed and a shitter..and nothing else. My tax dollars may not buy the TV..but they sure as hell pay for the basic cable these fuckers are sitting on their asses watching.

Why is anyone NOT outraged by this is a better question.

"Hey..what are you in here for?"
"Raping a 12 year old."
"Kewl..wanna watch Friends?"
"Sure"

WTF...
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote