Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2004, 10:45 AM   #101
Chiteng
Supporter

Sadly, back in 1978 a freind of mine WAS brutally raped. Gang raped as it happens. She did NOTHING to deserve it. She simply happened to be cute,
and young (16) and vulnerable. At the time, I simply wanted them all dead.
At this time, I simply want them all in pain.

I dont know if they ever caught these creatures. All I could do as her freind
is be there for her if she chose to interface. She was a strong girl, now she is a mother of 4. She got over it.

Not all do.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:59 AM   #102
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

I'm very much undecided, to be honest, and my belief or nonbelief in the existence of a "God" has changed many times.
I believe that makes you agnostic.

I regard it as a tool, used first to easily explain the unexplainable (origins of the universe and species for instance: "Well, musta been an almighty being who done it!" vs. the complexities of the Big Bang theory and evolution)
Yeah, it also was needed to explain the horrific and unknown events of our lives. Like death for instance.

...and later to control the masses (see the gross power wielded by the Catholic Church in the middle ages and numerous examples of similar controlling mechanisms through the current day).
Hmm, Marxism at its finest. I don't agree with this, but I know many people think there are black silent helicopters floating above all of the major cities.

But if your relationship with God overwhelms your relationship with a real person, then you are fucked, and need to join the clergy or seek therapy. When you put the wholly unproven notion of a divine supernatural being above the needs and love of a human being, then you have SERIOUS problems.
Controversial at best. It's fine that you're "undecided" about the existence of a god, A very easy position to be in might I add, but I don't see that your indecisiveness give you a platform to stand on to criticize others for the religions they practice. It's like those Darwin stickers that show feet on a fish, very condescending and inconsiderate. There are some religions in the Middle East, for example, that advocate mercy killings or ritual mutilations. They are putting "the wholly unproven notion of a divine supernatural being above the needs and love of a human being." Yet they also may believe that abortion is immoral. Morality is difficult to define without the use of religion.
Valleycrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:12 AM   #103
Inmountains

Horm, let's see if you can stay on track here. If I lose you, it just shows your stupidity.

Kerryn used name calling on me BECAUSE I GOT A DIVORCE. How you fit in here I have no idea. "Name Calling" has been going on since this board started, and if I wanted to search, I could probably find where you started it.

So, your little 'steam vent' here just further proves your lack of intelligence!!!
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #104
Kaeleya

I must admit, I have not read this entire thread.. just the last page or so, but I have to say that I agree with Horm in that if you truly love a person you compromise and work things out. I believe in certain aspects of religion, but there are some things that seem outdated and a little ridiculous to me. However my personal religious belief is not the point of this post.

My best friend’s sister, who is Jewish, just recently married a catholic man. I had the pleasure of attending the wedding, which was very much created through compromise. A rabbi as well as a priest attended to the service. There were both Christian and jewish parts of the service and catholic and jewish undertones were prevalent. My friends sister and her hubby were dating for about five years before they got married. They loved one another and they were willing to work things through to be with one another.

I do not believe that a relationship can ever happen without sacrifice, compromise, and patience. Falling in love with someone is easy, but making the relationship last takes a lot of work. If two people do not know how to compromise, then they have no right to get married at all.

I do not think the religion of the person matters at all, I think it all comes down to really loving a person and wanting to work through a way to be with one another.
Kaeleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:24 AM   #105
Antilles

1. Myth: The primary motive for rape is sexual.
Fact: The motive for rape is aggression and power, not sex. Rapists have a desire to dominate, humiliate, and degrade their victims. The overwhelming majority of rapists use unnecessary force and/or the threat of physical violence to coerce their victims into submission. Rape is not the result of "pent up" sexual desire.

2. Myth: Rape is a minor crime affecting only a few women.
Fact: It is estimated that 1 in 8 women will be raped in her lifetime. It is also estimated that 1 out of every 4 girls, and 1 out of every 8 boys are sexually assaulted in some way before they reach adulthood. Rape is the most frequently committed violent crime in this country.

3. Myth: Most rapes occur on the street, by strangers, or by a few crazy men.
Fact: Over 50% of reported rapes occur in the home. 80% of sexual assaults reported by college age women and close friends or family members perpetrated adult women.

4. Myth: Women frequently cry rape; false reporting of rape is common.
Fact: The FBI reports that only 2% of rapes reports are given falsely. This is the same report rate for other felonies. False accusations are often confused with low conviction rates.

5. Myth: Women fantasize about being raped. /Women secretly enjoy being raped.
Fact: Most women enjoy consensual sexual relationships, but rape is neither sexual nor consensual. Women do not enjoy being raped. However, a woman’s "seduction" fantasy is frequently confused with the supposed enjoyment of rape.

6. Myth: Rape only happens to young attractive women.
Fact: Rape can and does strike anyone at anytime. Age, social class, ethnic group and has no bearing on the person a rapist chooses to attack. Research data clearly proves that a way a woman dresses and / or acts does not influence the rapist’s choice of victims. His decision to rape is based on how easily he perceives his target can be intimidated. Rapists are looking for available and vulnerable targets.

7. Myth: Most rapists only rape one time.
Fact: Most rapists rape again, and again, and again - until caught.

8. Myth: If the assailant, victim, or both are drunk, the assailant cannot be charged of rape.
Fact: Forcing sex on someone who is too drunk to give consent is second-degree rape in North Carolina. [It carries a prison sentence of up to 17 years.] Rape is a crime. People who commit crimes while under the influence of alcohol or drugs are not considered free from guilt.

9. Myth: Rapists are abnormal perverts; only sick or insane men are rapists.
Fact: In a study of 1300 convicted offenders, few were diagnosed as mentally or emotionally ill. Most were well adjusted but had a greater tendency to express their anger through violence and rage.

10. Myth: It is impossible for a husband to sexually assault his wife.
Fact: Regardless of marital or social relationship, if a woman does not consent to sexual activity, she is being sexually assaulted. In fact, 14% of women are victims of rape committed by their husband.

11. Myth: A person who has really been assaulted will be hysterical.
Fact: Survivors exhibit a spectrum of emotional responses to assault: calm, hysteria, laughter, anger, apathy, shock. Each survivor copes with the trauma of the assault in a different way.

12. Myth: Women "ask for it" by their dress or actions.
Fact: Rapists look for victims they perceive as vulnerable, not women who dress in a particular way. Assuming that women provoke attacks by where they are or the way they dress is victim blaming. No person, whatever their behavior, "deserves" to be raped.

13. Myth: Gang rape is rare.
Fact: In 43% of all reported cases, more than one assailant was involved.

I'd just like to note that yeah, clothing can make a person more vulnerable than the next, but when you look at someone and size them up, odds are you're not looking at how they are dressed but rather their size, stature, and air of confidence.
Forever Afflicted
Antilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:40 AM   #106
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

Good list. I'm curious though.

8. Myth: If the assailant, victim, or both are drunk, the assailant cannot be charged of rape.
A few months ago, one of my friends called me one Saturday morning to see if I can pick her up from some guy's house. She told me she woke up naked and wet . She told me that she and this guy were both drunk the previous night and that she had a tendency of completely blacking out and forgetting events that happen while she's drunk. I wanted to beat this guy's ass for taking advantage of her, but legally speaking, I'm curious that if it all went down the way she described it, is it legally considered rape since they were both obviously intoxicated. I'm just not sure how the law can be interpreted to a point that a woman was too drunk to give consent, but the man was not too drunk to recognize that consent was not given. The duality of this law is very confusing to me. Anyone know anything that can shed some light on it for me?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:44 AM   #107
Everclear

Abortions are going to happen, whether they are legal or not. At least keeping them legal might helpl make them safer.

The Bible plays no part in this discussion, IMO. It's a great book for personal arbitrary beliefs, but I don't believe in policy making "because the Bible tells me so". The policies affect people of all different religions, and history has proven the Bible is twisted by those who use it to fit certain needs, whose interpretations may or may not change depending on their agendas.

the fact is, that no one could know the circumstances of every pregnancy, and it's my opnion that no lawmaker has the legitimate authority to legislate what I do with my uterus. Until the baby has a social security number, it's just part of the woman.
Everclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:47 AM   #108
Deadscale

The motive for rape is aggression and power, not sex. Rapists have a desire to dominate, humiliate, and degrade their victims. The overwhelming majority of rapists use unnecessary force and/or the threat of physical violence to coerce their victims into submission.
Rape=forum posting?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #109
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

The Bible plays no part in this discussion, IMO. It's a great book for personal arbitrary beliefs, but I don't believe in policy making "because the Bible tells me so".
Well, that's like saying nobody's opinion belongs in this discussion, because you wouldn't want policies based on personal opinions either.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #110
Everclear

oMgZ! Deadscale siad rape was OK! I saw it! He said it was ok! He blamed Airie, he said she shouldn't have been in the horse stall wearing that dress and those torn up hose! Airie said she told him No! (which no one, not even her momma could believe). He said he paid her, and that he deserved his time! This shocked everyone, of course.... afterall she usually didn't require payment... must be cause he's a leezard =o
Old 04-28-2004, 11:53 AM   #111
Deadscale

oMgZ! Deadscale siad rape was OK! I saw it! He said it was ok! He blamed Airie, he said she shouldn't have been in the horse stall wearing that dress and those torn up hose! Airie said she told him No! (which no one, not even her momma could believe). He said he paid her, and that he deserved his time! This shocked everyone, of course.... afterall she usually didn't require payment... must be cause he's a leezard =o
D-d-d-ont' t-t-tell mm..mm-oomma, Nurse Ratched =o

Not my fault Airie threw the wrong signs! She asked for it! She even prepared teh rods!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:55 AM   #112
Everclear

Quote:

Well, that's like saying nobody's opinion belongs in this discussion, because you wouldn't want policies based on personal opinions either

No, actually it's not syaing that. Clearly you are fond of telling others what they meant to say. Well I guess by this comment what you meant to say was "Oh I get it, you are saying the Bible explaining your beliefs is understandable, but maybe the Bible itself isn't valid justification for public policy, whereas, maybe the beliefs based on experiences or even just logical reasoning might make a bit more sense."

Thanks Wildane, that's a great idea!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:56 AM   #113
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

Originally Posted by Wildane
Well, that's like saying nobody's opinion belongs in this discussion, because you wouldn't want policies based on personal opinions either.
I think in a roundabout way she said this. I think she was saying that policies should not be based on the Bible just like policies should not be based on personal opinion.

This, however

Originally Posted by Everclear
...and it's my opnion that no lawmaker has the legitimate authority to legislate what I do with my uterus.
Sounds great, but as I pointed out in the other thread, that the government does have the unfortunate authority to say what you can do with your uterus. Whether or not it choses to act on it is a different story.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:58 AM   #114
Wildane

I wanted to beat this guy's ass for taking advantage of her, but legally speaking, I'm curious that if it all went down the way she described it, is it legally considered rape since they were both obviously intoxicated.
Well, that opens up the door to any crime. Is it still considered stealing if the thief is legally intoxicated?

Personally, intoxication shouldn't play a part in it. From what it sounds like, your friend doesn't remember what happened. From a legal standpoint, if there is no evidence of rape, only suspiscion, then there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #115
Everclear

quote:

Sounds great, but as I pointed out in the other thread, that the government does have the unfortunate authority to say what you can do with your uterus. Whether or not it choses to act on it is a different story

Yes.. well that's the problem, the government can give itself just about whatever authority it wants, but unless they install little probes in people, things like abortion will continue, just like they did before (in the 1800's maybe it was illegal?)

As a sidenote, my friend in women's studies is doing a great research paper on religious opinions on abortion and the political motives behind those opinions. So far, she has told me most of the information she has read deals with official "views" that are based mostly on political or economic reasons, rather than any moral or health related issues.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:06 PM   #116
Chiteng
Supporter

That was actually my original point Everclear.
It is political. It is control. It is priviledge.
It has nothing whatever to do with 'morality'.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:52 PM   #117
Antilles

Originally Posted by Valleycrest
Good list. I'm curious though.

A few months ago, one of my friends called me one Saturday morning to see if I can pick her up from some guy's house. She told me she woke up naked and wet . She told me that she and this guy were both drunk the previous night and that she had a tendency of completely blacking out and forgetting events that happen while she's drunk. I wanted to beat this guy's ass for taking advantage of her, but legally speaking, I'm curious that if it all went down the way she described it, is it legally considered rape since they were both obviously intoxicated. I'm just not sure how the law can be interpreted to a point that a woman was too drunk to give consent, but the man was not too drunk to recognize that consent was not given. The duality of this law is very confusing to me. Anyone know anything that can shed some light on it for me?
Thats a good question.
Forever Afflicted
Antilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:10 PM   #118
Aelain
Stop that rhyming!

Send a message via AIM to Aelain
Originally Posted by Hormadrune
See, this is the sort of hollow argument many conservatives on the board rely on, claiming that liberals rely on insults when conservatives do it just as often to people who disagree with their views. It doesn't help you make your case at all; to the contrary, it makes you look like a pompous, self-important blowhard.

Get over yourself for Christ's sake.
You're doing it again. When have I called anyone a name? I never deserved to be insulted just because I disagree with someone, steam vent or not. And what did I ever do to you? Besides, all this name-calling is just avoiding the issue at hand. Can't we just get along?
Old 04-28-2004, 01:16 PM   #119
Wildane

Thanks Wildane, that's a great idea!
No, not really.
Clearly you are fond of telling others what they meant to say.
No, I am fond of pointing out just how your statements can be interpreted. You say that the Bible shouldn't play a part in this discussion. Well, some people base their opinions on what the Bible has to say. You said yourself it is a great book for doing so. So, when we take opinions out of the discussion (and since there is still no factual evidence stating the exact moment life starts), then we have no discussion. A devout Christian believes abortion is murder, others don't. With no evidence that abortion ISN'T murder, what makes the others' opinions more valid?

Old 04-28-2004, 01:17 PM   #120
gojirra monk

Turns out this one is pretty simple.

Two people, both very drunk, have sex: rape or not? Rape.

Reasoning (real version): When in doubt, the man is always wrong.

Reasoning (something like this is made up on the spot to defend the decision already made using the real reasoning): It was not possible for the woman to give or deny consent. Any situation that lacks the chance to express consent must imply consent denial (the alternative is to open a large loophole).

The moral of the story: Guys, don't assume you have consent. Get it in writing while she is still sober. Have witnesses ready. Get it notarized if possible.
gojirra monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:31 PM   #121
Mendeus
Un-registered User

Send a message via AIM to Mendeus Send a message via Yahoo to Mendeus
Looking for a safe stance on abortion? Me neither.
Mendeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:44 PM   #122
Luky

Kerryn said:
The problem Catcen is that everytime one of you bible-thumpers tries to explain the bibles stance on any given subject I find more often then not that it says no such thing. 9 out of 10 times that anyone uses the bible as any sort of proof they do so only to belittle, and look down upon others, and it is usually a single sentence taken from a page out of context because it supports their personal stance. Just as this is yours.
Anytime a single sentence is taken out of context, one is in danger of misinterpreting. Period.

I do however also have to note Kerryn, that you bascially state here (and throughout the other posts) that you are an atheist and in general - you think Christians are bigots and hypocrites etc.

Is this true? Because if it is, I have to point out to you that it might be YOUR problem, not the Christians you come into contact with.

I.E. perhaps your view is jaded? Just consider that.

I got the impression that you expect all Christians to be perfect human beings and always correct and in line with God.

That isn't going to happen ever. Christians are not better, we simply have been restored into a relationship with God. Before being saved, we were not in a reltionship with God due to our sin. Its really simplistic language I am using I know - please note I am not using it to try and talk down or anything - I found it to be easier to visualize if I put it that way.

I must not leave without saying - don't allow 2 people to influence you away from the most important decision of your life (in my eyes - I realize you disagree). I doubt that God will accept Caelie and Catcen as excuses for why you rejected Him. He will hold you responsibile. Ok yeah, I know I know, You don't believe that and I do - so I guess we disagree.

And yeah, you disagree so ok, I get it. But think about it jsut the same if you would. There are christians.. and there are Christians..... and there are legalist Christians.. and there are performance based Christians (most Catholics fall into that category - grace+works).... there are grace Christians... there are Literal Christians.....I could go on....

Last point, a lot of people think Christians are arrogant etc. because we claim to know the truth. Well we think we do know the truth. Don't think you know the truth as well? If so, how is you stating that any different than me?

Please understand, I am not here to defend anyone, they can do that themselves. I do, however sometimes react to the generalities I see when regarding Christians.

Btw, Bumble why go off on CJ? Aren't you a believer? If you disagree then just say it and move on.

Btw for the record, fornication is considered to be the same as adultery. This does not mean that God said it was ok to have sex outside of marriage. In ALL cases of adultery, it was condemed. However, it was more often used symbolically (like the bride thing) to mean a turning to idols and a forsaking of God. In other words, it IS mentioned - it is lumped with adultery. God does present marriage as the best way for a couple to enjoy Sexual intimacy. Obviously, from examples we see throughout life and the bible, that doesn't happen, people fall into sin. Question is will you react like a Judas Iscariot or a Peter ?

Btw, Horm, God IS love, I'll leave it at that. Your comments are so off imo. I know you're pretty young, but I pray you get some insight before some real damange occurs in your relationships. Good books to read regarding this issue - all from a Christian persepctive (so that you can actually understand the viewpointas it is opposed to what you are saying here) are Intimate Issue by L. Dillow, Toward a Growing Marriage by G. Chapman has great stuff, Spiritual Relationships that Last by G. Delashumett, The Marriage Builder is heavy but good by L.Crabbe I think.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:28 PM   #123
cnjmorris

You welcome anyone to your church but I have to wonder how conditional that welcome is. Does it extend to homosexuals or to those that refuse to repent for an abortion? Or is your welcome only extended to those that submit to the mantra, the endless brainwashing without question?
Our church is just a building where saint meet. Anyone is welcome saved or otherwise. THE church is the body of saved saints and every Sunday they meet all over the world, we have no say over who is a member of that church. The only problem people would have is if they came in and disrupted services or if they tried to hold meetings where they tried to invite members of our local church in an attempt to teach unbiblical principles. The Bible warns against people who do this and therefor we would have to deal with it.

The problem Catcen is that everytime one of you bible-thumpers tries to explain the bibles stance on any given subject I find more often then not that it says no such thing. 9 out of 10 times that anyone uses the bible as any sort of proof they do so only to belittle, and look down upon others, and it is usually a single sentence taken from a page out of context because it supports their personal stance. Just as this is yours.
I don't take things out of context and often include more than I need to to make sure of it, you are thinking of those who say that "whomsoever believeth..." supercedes the rest of the Bible.

Believing that your ideals are right despite no proof
I left off the rest of the sentence because it isn't accurate, since the Bible hasn't been proven wrong, and won't be. Now.. I believe you are calling me an egotist for having faith. So, if I believe that my father would die before leaving me alone in a dangerous situation... I'm an egotist. I have no proof. It has never happened before.

I have a second child and this June I will marry my fiancee later this year in a Church that would not accept me if they knew I did not believe. But that it wear my fiancee wishes to marry. The blessing of your god, and the vicar who looks upon my children as a mistake is not important. It is simply important for Michelle and I to accept that we love each other and wish to spend the rest of our lives together.
Your fiancee doesn't believe anything, if she did then she wouldn't be pregnant and living with someone she isn't married to. Both of you are a mockery of what you claim to believe.

If she believed in God enough to care about salvation she wouldn't marry someone who didn't. No one would force themselves to know their spouse wasn't saved every day they lived with them. Likewise they wouldn't want the increased risk of watching their child grow up watching one saved parent and one unsaved. Your marriage will mean as much as the paper its on and the blessing that you receive.

He's entitled to that divorce but not if he's going to talk about our morality before a god whose oath he broke.
I don't believe what he does most of the time but I do know that if his wife divorced him he hasn't broken any oaths. I also know that humans make mistakes and its possible he wasn't even a believer at the time (meaning he didn't willfully sin). I also know that even saved Christians make mistakes and God welcomes back a repentant heart. Lastly, don't forget the contribution that the Apostle Paul made to the New Testament, and he started out as a murderer of believers simply because they believed.

So I continue to live my life, not judging others, accepting them for what they are, and living a peaceful life educating my kids. And you continue to live your life swinging that bible like a bat, accepting people only as you wish them to be, and living a life persecuting those that are different and educating your children to do the same. And yet it is you, that would look down upon me.
I don't look down on you. I don't value myself above you. Jesus still would have had to die for me, even if you never existed. That doesn't give me much room to brag, except in Christ. Physically people are no more than actions, their personality is made up of what they do. So, when you make comments like "swinging that bible like a bat" you are looking down on me and my actions. Or are you really going to claim that you accept me like that? We aren't that different. It is human nature to try and accept things on OUR terms. Being Christian means trying to suppress that and accept things on God's terms. When people try to please God and themselves at the same time you end up with things like Catholicism.

I have more to say but I'm having trouble concentrating. I have ADD which makes long posts hard for me to organize, especially when I know I now have to go write an 8 page paper for a class... Intro to Religious Studies, strangely enough.

Catcen, Level 65 Beastlord.

Newbie for life.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:43 PM   #124
Deadscale

People make religion so complex it's yucky at times

I'm happy to never have touched a bible at times, or I would be...

Hang a pentagram at my front door to keep them religious people away too
Old 04-28-2004, 11:03 PM   #125
Everclear

Well, God told me that leezards need to die...he also mentioned that killing crabs would be "ok"... so..sorry to have to do this :

/chop Deadscale

/put crab in boiling water

=o