Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #26
Foust Farseer

Default ehehe

Some notes I took for my report on a book: Ritual Sacrifices in Ancient Peru editors of the book were Elizabeth Benson and Anita Cook.

It may have been popular back then...but their culture (Nasca) is practically gone and can mostly be seen in archaeological ruins

And they aren't banging the prom queen now

Quite informational. Some of those cultures in Central / South America also drank the blood of their dead/fallen/enemies, as well as consumed the heart, believing that the spirit of the fallen warrior would transfer into you, therefore making you stronger.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:43 PM   #27
Deadscale

/nod,

That is partially covered in the same book in the chapter of Blood and the Moon Priestess: Spondylus Shells in Moche Ceremony
Old 04-26-2004, 04:37 AM   #28
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Justify whatever you like. I hear this shit all the time, trying to rationalize some sort of vague prejudice against Arabs, or Muslims, or some group with such extremes on either end of the spectrum. It makes me sick.

It would be just as biased to try and vindicate true terrorists by just saying "they are misunderstood." While that phrase does apply to quite a bit of the Arabaic population of the world (think the middle eastern equivalent of Joe Sixpack in America), you get the very vocal and often violent minority making things tough for the rest.

Just as no intelligent person took the actions of the Black Panthers as indicative of the views of every African-American, so we should not generalize views about Arabs and Muslims because of the actions of Al Qaeda, Hamas, the Taliban, and other similar groups. They are a minority, and while many may vaguely support their goals (Muslim rule in certain nations), do not be quick to assume they support the means employed toward those ends.

So keep your racism to a minimum, and don't say "those people", unless you have a very specific group in mind. I can't say that all of Iraq wants our help, just as I can't say all of Iraq doesn't want our help. Either view is equally ignorant. And, don't forget the minority when siding with the majority. To do otherwise isn't democracy but mob rule. Those that aren't violent may still be vocal and be a thorn in your side.

On a side note: terrorists are not cowards. It must take an extreme amount of mental fortitude to detonate a bomb strapped to your chest, while remaining sane enough to still be able to press that button. Call it the power of religious brainwashing if you will, but I see no need to dirty religion as a whole here. It takes guts to take a stand you know will end in your death, by your own hand or at the superior forces and weaponry of your opponent.

I think it's this casual dismissal of terrorists that got us into a mess in Iraq. Face it, it is a mess, otherwise we would have expected and prevented it. Is it irrecoverable? I sincerely hope not, but we've been forced to take our enemies seriously whereas before we thought of them as uncoordinated and insane. They are proving to be neither.

Flame me if you wish. This isn't sympathy for inhumane terrorist tactics, nor antipathy for our troops (I wholly support anyone with the testicular fortitude to face such enemies). It is instead a somewhat objectified look at the situation, and an analysis of what we need to change to fix our problems in Iraq.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:16 AM   #29
Foust Farseer

Default hrmm

Finally, someone gets it.

I think it's this casual dismissal of terrorists that got us into a mess in Iraq. Face it, it is a mess, otherwise we would have expected and prevented it. Is it irrecoverable? I sincerely hope not, but we've been forced to take our enemies seriously whereas before we thought of them as uncoordinated and insane. They are proving to be neither.
The strategic capabilities for these terrorists is astounding. Look at 9/11 from a strategist's point of view. How long would you think that took to plan? To get certain people into certain positions within the airline companies, to use an American school to LEARN TO FLY AN AIRLINE, position key people in key places. And with only ~25 people.

I hope we can recover from this bullshit as well. The problem is...we went against the UN, we went against the wishes of powerful allies, and we invaded a country that never really liked us to begin with.

And for what?
Old 04-26-2004, 12:43 PM   #30
crimsonedge

Again your "fact" is from the person detained who readily admits he is seeking monetary damages from the US government. The International Red Cross frequently inspects the facilities and the treatment and they have made no such claims.

The people that you claim are defending their homeland arent doing that in my opinion they are defending the last vestiges of the former dictators government where they were treated preferentially and they know they will not get that in a free Iraqi society. In my view, you are hugely misguided in defending their actions, it would be equivelent of Al Gores supporters killing anyone and everyone they could because they didnt want to lose power when he lost the Presidency. There is no honor or pride in that, its exactly what was described earlier, the work of barbarians.
crimsonedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:49 PM   #31
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Those who acknowledge, honor, or recognize terrorists are doomed to die at the terrorist's hands.

You only deal with terrorists one way..kill them(and their family just to be safe). Anything else just encourages them.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:28 PM   #32
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Except, Trith, how are you going to figure out where every terrorist is? You don't know who they are until they attack, and by then it's too late.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:37 AM   #33
Vespay

To those that stood by my side, thank you, for those that disagree with me, that's fine too. I was merely voicing my opinion and thoughts, mainly because of my friends that are being shipped off. We're all entitled to that. /nod