Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2004, 06:45 AM   #1
bumbleroot

Default A Real Hero

Here is a real hero for you guys.... Sacrificed his life for us all.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4815441/

Pat Tillman, who gave up a lucrative NFL contract with the Arizona Cardinals to join the Army Rangers, has been killed in Afghanistan, NBC News is reporting.

In the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, Tillman decided to turn down a three-year, $3.6 million contract with the Cardinals to enlist in the Army.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
Inmountains

I agree Bumble! A real hero is not someone who makes a game winning shot or touchdown. It is the man or woman who gives their all for something they believe in. In my life, my hero's were NEVER sports people, or politicians, or actors. My hero's were my dad, my sister, a couple of teachers, my youth leader at church, and some friends who over came some tough situations in life.
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Id just like to point out that all of our soldiers facing death on the frontlines are heroes, not just the ones who can play fucking football.
chukzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Wow. I remember that story when it first happened after he told his team he was enlisting and was struck by the level of dedication that must have taken.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:45 AM   #5
crimsonedge

Or anger at being attacked by terrorist cowards.
crimsonedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:54 AM   #6
pukagok

Tillman is a rarity in todays sports though.

He enlisted with his brother, he even traveled all the way to denver so as to not get publicity. All soldiers serving are hero's. Its just that someone who has a talent and gives up his talent to serve his country is something bringing us back to the days of WWII, instead of taking the attitude its all about me and living the good life he gave it all up.

Plus, he's a good recruitment aide and rolemodel for today's youth, i'd rather haeve my kids emulate him than say any NBA star.
pukagok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:20 AM   #7
bumbleroot

Id just like to point out that all of our soldiers facing death on the frontlines are heroes, not just the ones who can play fucking football.
Chuk are you just a contrarian?
The point is that this man gave up $3 mil to fight for us. He didn't need to do this, and lost his life in the case.
I could give a shit if he played football or not. And while most of the soldiers are heroes, simply wearing a uniform does not ordain one a hero. There are plenty of order barkers who would and do sacrifice others in their stead.

I would hope the NFL would pay homage to this man and name an award after him or at least wear his number on their uniforms.

And Chuk, while you are at it comfortably raiding zones, you could actually get off your ass and make the same sacrifices rather than calling others heroes. Not many cons on these boards are willling to actually fight for what they are willing to talk about.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:25 AM   #8
Kanjien

How in the hell do you know what anyone else is willing to do...or even has done? That is the most rediculous statement I have ever read.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:28 AM   #9
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Kanjien
That is the most rediculous statement I have ever read.
I think you're exaggerating
Old 04-23-2004, 09:20 AM   #10
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Not many cons on these boards are willling to actually fight for what they are willing to talk about.
If one con here served that's one more than any of the libs here would have at least...
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:23 AM   #11
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

The point is that this man gave up $3 mil to fight for us.
And this makes him more of a hero than the other soldiers how? Do you think sacrificing big $$ makes someone more of a hero than someone who comes form a poor home? Any person from any walk of life willing to put everything aside and defend this country to the death is a hero IMO. so take your greed induced ideals and shove them up your ass.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:30 AM   #12
cnjmorris

Who cares about $3.6 million? The point to me isn't that he gave up the money. The point is that he gave up his future.

Most people dont know what they want to do. He knew, and in support of his country he gave up what he wanted to do and did what he felt he should do. That is a hero.

He isn't the only one. I'm sure others gave up scholarships. I am sure others turned down job offers. His sacrifice can be quantified into $3.6 million because that is the worth they put on his contract.

Just like every other man and woman who served I am sure someone back home would turn down $3.6 million to have them back home safely... to me that better quantifies what they are worth.

Catcen, Level 65 Beastlord.

Newbie for life.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:25 AM   #13
bumbleroot

If one con here served that's one more than any of the libs here would have at least...
The difference is that us Libs don't BELIEVE this war in Iraq is right. You cons do, but would rather leave it to some 19 year old kid to fight your battles for you. Typical pussy conservatives. If I felt this war was right, I would serve. I have said before, I was an Army brat, my father is West Point and I would have no problem serving. I can not serve in the military because I am too old, however If the war were right I could serve in other ways.
Its funny how so many people signed up for WWII because IT WAS RIGHT, but yet since Iraq, recruitment has gone down. In fact enlistment went up for Afghanistan. Its obvious that people have questions whether it is right or not.

And Chuk- I think you should stop making shit up to try to win an argument that nobody was making in the first place. NOBODY said this guy was more of a hero than anyone else. This guy did not need to join the army. He wasn't a high school grad with no direction or some kid wanting the military to pay for college. He joined because it was the right thing to do. He is no more of a hero, but not many people are willing to give up not just their lives but their future as well for a cause. Its obvious you aren't.

Who cares about $3.6 million? The point to me isn't that he gave up the money. The point is that he gave up his future.
Thank You CNJ- I was saying that when I scrolled back and saw this post of yours. I agree 100%.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #14
kanibaal
korpse

so selective service for your country? is that the libs latest excuse for being cowards? "you wanted the war, so you go! Im against it, so Im staying here!" what a cop out. Im not saying anyone should go, Im just saying your train of thought is pathetic.
kanibaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:03 AM   #15
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
No Bumble...the difference is you libs don't believe there is anything worth fighting for or defending...even the lives of your own family. You would rather bend over and take a shot in the ass at the expense of those around you than confront a problem before it confronts you.

Iraq was our problem..the whole world's problem..your refusal to acknowledge this just baffles the mind.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:05 AM   #16
cnjmorris

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...led/index.html
In 2001, Tillman turned down a $9 million, five-year offer sheet from the Super Bowl champion St. Louis Rams out of loyalty to the Cardinals, and by joining the Army, he passed on millions more from the team.
Tillman carried a 3.84 grade point average through college and graduated with high honors in 3 1/2 academic years with a degree in marketing.

Catcen, Level 65 Beastlord.

Newbie for life.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:15 AM   #17
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

And Chuk- I think you should stop making shit up to try to win an argument that nobody was making in the first place. NOBODY said this guy was more of a hero than anyone else.
So you werent implying that tillman is a 'real' hero only becuase he gave up a lot of money to defend his country? why havent you made a post about all the heroes who have given up heir lives in doing the same? And he died in Afghanistan shithead, not in Iraq, unless you think the men who die in Iraq arent heroes becuase its a war your ilk doesnt support?
Old 04-23-2004, 11:15 AM   #18
Felessan

2/75 has been involved in some nasty mountain warfare, for awhile. It's a sad day when any soldier is KIA.

Lets keep the board squabbling, over this, to a minimum. Show some respect.

Charlie Mike.

/salute 2/75

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:16 AM   #19
ShardmoonVer.1

This story has nothing to do with his football career and every thing to do with the content of his charecter. He is representive of the sacrifices thousands of men and women have made in the past and continue to make.

Now on to the drama.

"If I felt this war was right, I would serve." Bum. Did you get turned down for service in Afgan? Or do you not believe our efforts there are justified? We were there long before troops moved on Iraq.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:38 AM   #20
Koss

Originally Posted by chukzombi
And this makes him more of a hero than the other soldiers how? Do you think sacrificing big $$ makes someone more of a hero than someone who comes form a poor home? Any person from any walk of life willing to put everything aside and defend this country to the death is a hero IMO. so take your greed induced ideals and shove them up your ass.
What makes him a more "elevated hero" is the fact that his gave up a lime light prestige, wanted no recognition for it and died doing it.

I'd venture to say that a good portion of our "young" armed force enlistees are/were fresh out of school, had no "career" and looked at the military as a "stepping stone" to get a better career/life after serving their term. I'd also venture to say many aren't/weren't expecting to fight/die defending their country either.

Does that mean they are not heros? No. But they really didn't sacrifice as much as this guy did by enlisting either.

Really this shouldn't be entitled as "A Real Hero" ..more like "The Sacrifices Heros Make"

Just my 2cp.
Ruktuuk 63 Warrior of Rallos Zek

--Lead Singer for The Holy Trinity--
Cadgar 70 Herald

Resilience
Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #21
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
I read about this guy when he left the Cardinals. He didn't drive around in some fancy car, and often rode to work/practice on a BMX bicycle. Money wasn't important to him...and the primary reason he joined the military was to join at the same time with his brother, who also was going into Army. He wanted to hang out and serve the country alongside his brother. He worked it out so that he and his brother would serve together. I hope at least his brother made it out safely.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:49 PM   #22
Gerick

That guy has an angle on his shoulder.

bless the poor and the wise.
Gerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:51 PM   #23
Scalz

His brother is stationed in Iraq.

Pat Tilman's death caused such a response, because in today's USA, we do not see this type of committment to one's country. He put aside his livelihood to defend his nation. He did not go into the armed forces to find his career. When he did go into the Army he went in a ranger, one of the elite military units in the world. Being that Pat Tillman also had a degree from a University he could have chosen to be an officer in the Army, instead he chose to be a soldier so he could actually fight in the war against terrorism.

Not once while he was enlisted in the Army did he give one interview to anyone about his reasoning behind joining the Army. Only statement he ever made was that he wanted to be treated like anyone else that was enlisted.

He was unassuming, he was patriotic, and he embodied everything that was right with this country. We do not see enough of this anymore.

The simple fact is this man had no alterior motives when going into the Army. All he wanted to do was defend his country against the terrorists that attacked our country.

Its not that he was an NFL player that made millions of dollars. Its more about the way he lived his life and the example he has set. For that he should be honored, for that he should be remembered, for that he is a Hero!!
Scalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:25 PM   #24
Felessan

Well said, Scalz...

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:36 PM   #25
Ramesses Elliscer

Send a message via Yahoo to Ramesses Elliscer
Hail,

21 volleys and a draped coffin, another soldier passed away.

Tillman was an inspiration, I remember hearing about him when I was still in Germany, to know that he gave up what he did to join us and then to end up with the elite 75th Rangers was nothing short of amazing in my eyes. He sacrificed more than most had to or are willing to and nobody will or can take that away from him.
In my eyes he IS a hero amongst heroes.

/salute

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Ramesses Elliscer is offline   Reply With Quote