Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
Deadscale

Default Congratulations on 1st Place! Not American? Sorry...

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/s...rtnersite=espn

Summary: If you win this race and aren't an American, you don't get the cash prize.

I understand, their race their rules, but diiick!

Foreign runners are usually those winning these races and this rule will more than likely push them away. Don't expect times to be lower than usual, as most Americans use foreign runners as guides and judge them as rabbits to get their PR.

There are plenty more races which is cool, but who would want to win with a watered down competitive field? Watering it down pretty much takes the, here we go again, "pride " from winning. I wouldn't want to win unless I knew I was running against the best. Now not all the best runners go to the same race, but better knowing you were able to beat 2 of the top 10 runners in the world than just left wondering if you could have.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:36 AM   #2
Nuzum

Well,

If you look at the intent instead of what they are doing. They are trying to promote more distance running from americans we have a nation have become unhealthy, running long distance has dwindled.

And sad to say but they are trying to reduce the number of foreign competitors, if you look at any foot race out there there are few if any americans in the top 5, hell maybe even the top 10.

And this is minnesota only state more odd is wisconsin and their cheese fetish.

"Kitties are the Dion warwicks of the shaman world"
Nuzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:14 AM   #3
bumbleroot

On one hand this kind of angers me.
However, when I step back and think about it, nobody is required to run this thing. It is elective. If a foreign runner doesn't want to run it, then they don't have to. This tournament belongs to the people that run it. They can do what they want with it. Much like a scholarship. If you put the money up for it and run it, you can do what you want with it.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:28 AM   #4
Maximus Faticus

If you look at the intent instead of what they are doing. They are trying to promote more distance running from americans we have a nation have become unhealthy, running long distance has dwindled.
What the fuck are you talking about? Wait till the summer when we take home more gold medals in Athens then anyone else. In Atlanta we took hom almost twice as many golds as the next highest country.
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:42 AM   #5
Sakkath

Originally Posted by Maximus Faticus
In Atlanta we took hom almost twice as many golds as the next highest country.
in long distance running?
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:50 AM   #6
Inmountains

Yep, it's not a REAL World Series unless the United States Winner plays the Japanese Winner. Take a clue. They supply the race, the prize money, everything else, so they can have whatever rules they want, "Women Only", "Men over 50 Only", "Everquest Players Only (can anyone finish the race in a WEEK?)", yada, yada, yada.

No, Americans are not into 'long distance' running, we use cars!! Hehe. And as a whole, American's are not as fit as they should be, starting with ME. If the race co ordinators want to try and encourage more US participation, I hope they succeed.
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:57 AM   #7
Sakkath

Originally Posted by Inmountains
Yep, it's not a REAL World Series unless the United States Winner plays the Japanese Winner
Damn right - and the Cubans would kick your asses.

This is a local marathon, I don't really see what the fuss is about.
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:34 AM   #8
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Long distance running is an extremley unhealthy sport, have you ever seen the people who win these things? they look like they are escaping a concentration camp. No human being should have to run all those miles at one time.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:57 AM   #9
pukagok

On a side note long distance runing WILL kill you.

The guy that invented power bars, he was a marathon runner guess what he died of a heart attack.

I'll go back to munching on my tripple bacon cheesburger and large side of chillie cheese fries, hasn't killed me yet. Pass me another pack of smokes too.
pukagok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:50 AM   #10
Deadscale

Originally Posted by Nuzum
Hell, I think that'd be great! I believe everyone should work to run/jog at least 1 mile a day.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/04/22/Sp..._top_5_a.shtml

As you said, foreign runners take up most of the spots in the top ten and maybe one American finishing in there. 2hours 10minutes 11seconds for 26.2miles, that was first place. That's averaging about 5minutes a mile (need someone good with math to get the exact number =p). That'll be pretty darn hard for some who has never run to reach. Anyone motivated to run yet?

If they really want to move people to run, my only guess would be to take some cash from the 1st place and add it to maybe other "prize" finishes. Add it to some pre-decided by the coordinators (without letting the runners know to avoid scammers) to maybe the finishers of #20, 50, 80, 100, so on.

A marathon is not a good way to improve distance running among people. Local 5-10kilometer races are the best, I believe those just need to be publicized more (in that town/city). That's around 3-6miles of running, an easier goal to start with rather than having the whopping 26miles ahead of you. Being local races it would be very very rare to see a foreigner there, unless it's been publicized in most running magazines or a well known race.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:27 AM   #11
Maximus Faticus

in long distance running?
No overall, I'm surprised that someone didn't catch that. Maybe I should have been more specific? Based on Nuzums observation we would be really piss poor in something like the decathlon which is more stenuous then long distance running I think. Or look at Lance Armstrong mopping up in Europe, which I believe is just as hard as long distance running.
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote