Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2004, 07:26 AM   #26
Chiteng
Supporter

Every till should have a "float" big enough to give change to whoever requires it. You never know if every person through the door that day is going to have a fifty.

Over here we have £50 notes that many people refuse despite the fact they are legal tender. If somebody tells me they can't accept that money I want to speak to the manager. I'm not going to make their life hard but I won't be put out because the store cannot deal with my business adequately.

As for the coins. The notes are an agreement that the bank will pay the bearer the sum of money shown on the face. The coins are made of tangible materials with a value which equals the amount printed on the side, or so the theory goes. So you could argue that the money is the real deal and the notes are just the agreement to pay it.

We have a funny rule over here which states that if you re-create coins with your own machinery, you are only guilty of forgery if the coins do not contain the minimum amount of equivalent precious metals.

i.e. If I can make a £2 coin containing the correct amount of gold for £1.80 I'm legally allowed to.

I guess this is your polite way of telling me I am wrong? =)

In the case about the change. There is a sign on the door of almost all
Conv stores that says CSR has 50$ in till. NO MORE.
IF you cant draw conclusions, by all means ask for the manager.
The CSR will be overjoyed that you asked for the manager because ITS NO LONGER HIS PROBLEM then. He will hand you off to the Manager who will tell
you the SAME DAMN THING. Because that is the entire point of the $50 policy. To limit damage in a robbery. You will NEVER change that no matter HOW hard you complain. Its called GREED. To the store the CSR is expendable, but more than 50$ is not.

As for the coins, the standing policy of most stores is.....
'IF YOU HAVE TIME' to count them, then accept them. Otherwise.....
Because in a line of say 10 people all waiting to pay, that is ten tempers that get frayed watching the asswipe count his pennies.

The CSR has to make a choice.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:27 AM   #27
bumbleroot

Customer service or not, it doesn't matter if you dig ditches or run a Fortune 500 company. Always do the job you were hired to do, and always give it your passion and care. It will make life on you and those you work with and service more manageable.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:29 AM   #28
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Every till should have a "float" big enough to give change to whoever requires it. You never know if every person through the door that day is going to have a fifty.
Well, then it sucks to be persons 2-50, because, when I worked as a convenience store clerk, we weren't allowed to keep all that much money in the register. Once you got so much, you roll it up, stick it in a tube and put it in the safe. That way, if the store is robbed, the company doesn't lose as much. If you want to buy a pack of gum, you'd better have something smaller than a hundred.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Wildane; 04-22-2004 at 07:29 AM. Reason: can't spell
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:30 AM   #29
Chiteng
Supporter

The good people DO quit Bumble. I would assume you know this.
Leaving the people that have no other choice. It is people LIKE YOU,
that force the lowest common denominator upon us all, by demanding too much.

Do you know how much a Manager of a Conv makes? Hell you can make more than that working for the highway service.

All so you can buy your ciggies at a discount.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Old 04-22-2004, 07:33 AM   #30
Felessan

The problem here is, there is a overall lack of personal respect in our modern society. I try to treat each person I run into with a modicum of individual respect. This can be eroded or allowed to bloom depending upon subsequent actions of the party in question. This has alot to do with my personality, as well as my upbringing and occupation.

The problem is...there are too many folks who do not act with what is commonly reffered to as "Common Courtesy". It seems some people substitute this prase for "kissing ass", or being weak. Neither are true, and could not be further from the truth.

I find folks in Customer Service are so accustomed to being treated rudely they begin to affect this behavior themselves. This is unfortunate but a logical reaction.

I learned long ago, the importance of giving "good phone". You would be AMAZED at the amount of cooperation I can get from a rep, by just going out of my way to ask their name, say a greeting, and use please and thank you. The problem is...there are not enough people willing to take the time to do this.

As has been said by better folk than I..."You reap what you sow."

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:45 AM   #31
gojirra monk

I used to work phone support for cable modems, but the call center took all cable calls for the entire state. Never once had anyone get really pissed at me. Never really had anyone call angry and stay pissed at me either. I might have a high tolerance for rudeness, but I never had to hang up on anyone for it.

Many times the girls in billing would call me in tears to see if I could deal with an angry customer that had been yelling at them. Never had problems with those calls.

On the other side of things, I knew a girl who worked at a ticket counter at the airport. She was allowed to yell back at customers and basically say whatever she wanted. I don't think she ever had a problem with rude people either.

So, uh, be nice to people. Some of them don't care, some of them are fragile, and some will go off on your ass.
gojirra monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:46 AM   #32
bumbleroot

It is people LIKE YOU,
that force the lowest common denominator upon us all, by demanding too much.
I demand out of my employees what they expect and what I expect. It is my job as a manager to make those expectations clear when they are hired and as they continue to do their job. As long as those expectations are clear and they are met, everyone is happy. And as far as whether or not someone is paid shit for the job they do, that doesn't make a damned bit of difference whether or not they should do their job and do it right. Care about what you are doing. The obvious lack of caring is what causes problems. When I order fast food and they give me the wrong drink, its because they don't care enough to get it right. Everyone makes mistakes, but if you make it one time, you should correct it and then do what it takes to not make it again.
The problem here is, there is a overall lack of personal respect in our modern society.
I agree. But I will take it one step farther and say that people expect to not have to work for their money. They get used to this life of video games and movies and concerts and luxury. They want it all, but don't want to work for it. There was a time and a generation where people cared about what they did and made the efforts to do it right. They weren't lazy because if you were, you didn't keep your job. Respect others, respect your employer, respect your employees, respect your customers. If everyone did this, we would increase production dramatically in this country.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:01 AM   #33
Chiteng
Supporter

So lets see: Bumble says that 'his' expectations are what must be met,
and implies that people that dont meet them will be fired.

At no time does he refute the inherent truth of the scenarios presented.

That goes both ways Bumble. I dont know what state you live in, but your walking a very thin line. An employee that is coerced (threatening to fire
is an act of coercion) does have redress. If you set an employee up
with an immpossible situation, you may find yourself on the end of a State
lawsuit. Also remember that a promise made under duress is NOT binding.
Threatening to fire IS duress.

I dont know if your REALLY as heavy handed as you sound here, I find it hard to believe you are, given your other posts. But dont assume your invulnerabe.
Your not.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 04-22-2004, 08:03 AM   #34
Chiteng
Supporter

I agree. But I will take it one step farther and say that people expect to not have to work for their money. They get used to this life of video games and movies and concerts and luxury. They want it all, but don't want to work for it. There was a time and a generation where people cared about what they did and made the efforts to do it right. They weren't lazy because if you were, you didn't keep your job. Respect others, respect your employer, respect your employees, respect your customers. If everyone did this, we would increase production dramatically in this country.
BTW remarks like the above are extraneous and immaterial. They display soley
YOUR bigotry. Which in this case is not flattering. Your opinion is only YOUR opinion. It doesnt need to be agreed with or shared.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 04-22-2004, 08:35 AM   #35
bumbleroot

So lets see: Bumble says that 'his' expectations are what must be met,
and implies that people that dont meet them will be fired.
This is so far offbase I am not sure it is worth responding to.
I don't make the expectations. They are the job descriptions. They are clear to the applicant as they come in. If I were the one determining if such expectations are needing to be met to do the job correctly then that is my job as a manager or planner. I do it before I hire someone and let them know what they need to do as they are being interviewed.
If a person is hired and they are EXPECTED to do their job and they fail to meet these EXPECTATIONS then they will be fired. You can apply that formula to any job. If the expectations are not possible of being met by an employee then the manager or planner should be fired.
There is nothing heavy-handed in what I say. If an employee doesn't do their job, you can not nor should not keep them. They are not guaranteed employment solely because they are hired. They earn their money, its not given to them. A business can only provide employment if they can afford it. The can only afford employment if they make enough to hire employees.

In fact Chiteng, apply the expectations thing to your guild (or any guild for that matter) If you recruit a cleric, you do that with the expectations of them healing your tanks. If they decide that they want to tank instead of healing, you will boot them from your guild. Its basically the same principal. There is a task needed from the business. You make a job defining those tasks. You pay someone to perform those tasks. If they don't do those tasks, you have no use for them. If those tasks are not capable of being done by the person the manager hired than the manager has not done their job in creating the tools necessary to complete the job.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:01 AM   #36
Chiteng
Supporter

Or possibly the expectations are too high for almost ANY candidate.
In which case, the company is simply fishing for an exceptional candidate
that it can pay shit wages to, for exemplary work.

Such a employee would have to be brain dead to not realize that he was being used.

You get what you pay for. You wont get quality people at 7$ an hour.
That is the fact.

They are being paid more at other jobs.

Also do not ignore the customers that come into a store NOT to buy something, but they are looking for a fight. They WANT to create a problem.
But the employee is blamed.

I mean really I can go install trasmissions in cars for 14$ an hour, why in hell
get yelled at by angry customers for 7$? That is the reality. I dont envy
DDM's the job sux.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 04-22-2004, 09:10 AM   #37
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

Originally Posted by Wildane
And what YOU have to realize is that some of those fuckers used to work in CS, and know exactly what you think of them. Respect works both ways. Don't assume that all your customers are ignorant.
You mean some of the people who treat me like crap for no friggin' reason worked in CS? I don't assume that all of my client are ignorant. I would say a small majority are pleasant and know how to conduct business. You ever hear the phrase, "Kill 'em with kindness"?

Originally Posted by Kerryn
Rule #1 : Customer Service.

If you can't forget the customer who gave you a hard time before he gets out of the front door, get another job.
Good rule. I thought I had. The problem is that it goes into collective memory until one day it boils over and you do something you thought you'd never do (like post your rantings on a message board).

Originally Posted by bumbleroot
Buddy, if you don't like your job QUIT!!!
If you don't like servicing customers, why are you working in a service oriented job? Don't blame customers for this. In fact, why don't you just ask the customers all to leave. See how long you will keep your job then with no customers.
Good idea, everyone who doesn't like every single aspect of their job should quit now. That's what makes America great. When the going get's tough, just give up? You're right though, I shouldn't blame customers for their bad manners and rudeness. I should look at myself and think what a bad person I must be to have caused this unprovoked attack. I should have single-handedly changed this person's disposition instead of doing the job I was hired to do. I'm glad I have people like you to set me straight.

I demand out of my employees what they expect and what I expect. It is my job as a manager to make those expectations clear when they are hired and as they continue to do their job. As long as those expectations are clear and they are met, everyone is happy. And as far as whether or not someone is paid shit for the job they do, that doesn't make a damned bit of difference whether or not they should do their job and do it right.
I've had managers like you. The ones so absorbed in their own self-righteousness that they haven't the slightest idea what their job is. Managers like you made me hate my job, hate my company, and hate them. I would only do the bare minimum to keep my job. There's no way I'd go out of my way to help managers like you and I'd be quickly looking for another job. The good managers have made me care about our company, care about our area/division, and care about my own success. A manager's job is not to demand, a manager's job is to inspire. Those who know this get the best work from their employees.
Valleycrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:22 AM   #38
bumbleroot

No you haven't had managers like me. You haven't a clue what kind of manager I am. Perhaps you can ask some of the member of my guild when I was guild leader what kind of leader I was. That may give you some idea of what kind of manager I was.
I can also assure you that people who don't care about their job as you apparently don't, are already halfway out the door. You will be fired from this job or another job at some point because you have a shitty attitude about your job. You are like many other employees that lose their job because they think it should be all about themselves and because they don't listen to others when they constructively criticize them. Quite frankly, as a manager, we look for warning signs of problem children like you when you walk in for an interview. I would rather have an employee that WILL do the job rather than one that CAN do the job. After all that is why I am hiring an employee.

And Chiteng, you assume that all companies are out to fuck over their employees just by hiring them. They aren't. I know we review our salaries to ensure that they stay competitive. We offer the best in benefits to entice good employees. Our company's philosophy is to try to keep their employees if they are good. You don't do that by treating them poorly and not paying them a fair wage.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:23 AM   #39
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

This is the first and only time i ever agree with Bumbleroot 100%. Do your fucking job right,its not brain surgery .
chukzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:38 AM   #40
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Good idea, everyone who doesn't like every single aspect of their job should quit now.
That's a little extreme, don't you think? The point is, if your job makes you "you do something you thought you'd never do" because you can't handle it, then yeah, that job may not be for you.
You're right though, I shouldn't blame customers for their bad manners and rudeness. I should look at myself and think what a bad person I must be to have caused this unprovoked attack.
Nobody's playing the blame game here but you. You don't have to like it, but if you want to be successful, you have to friggin deal with it. I sure wish that everyone would start treating everyone else with common courtesy, but that's unrealistic. It falls to you to learn how to deal with something you cannot possibly change. Here's a little saying I've always liked:

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"

Now, unless you think you can single-handedly stop people from being rude, then you should just learn to deal with it.
A manager's job is not to demand, a manager's job is to inspire.
Wrong. A manager's job is to run the store/company/whatever and make sure things don't fall apart. Your work ethics are not his responsibility, they're yours.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:40 AM   #41
Chiteng
Supporter

No I assume that most companies are COMPETATIVE that means they
pay the minimum they can. They assume that they can replace malcontents
easily. I have seen them fire good people and hire crap, just to meet payroll.
Because the wage difference between the good and bad was enough to meet payroll. It had NOTHING to do with the quality of the good.

What can anyone say about such mindless and absurd policies? I dont blame YOU Bumble I blame the attitude. The Manager is helpless in the face of the
demands of the district manager. He has little or no autonomy. That is obvious from simply looking at them.

What needs to happen, is the DDM gets SUED for some labor or health infraction. Then possibly he just might back off. At least for a while.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 04-22-2004, 09:49 AM   #42
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

No you haven't had managers like me. You haven't a clue what kind of manager I am. Perhaps you can ask some of the member of my guild when I was guild leader what kind of leader I was. That may give you some idea of what kind of manager I was.
Ok, I think I understand. You've made an assumption of what kind of employee I am based on my posts. I've made an assumption about what kind of manager you are based on your posts. The only difference is that your assumption is correct and mine is not apparently. It's so comical that in one breath you are blasting me about assuming what kind of manager you are, then the next breath you assume what kind of employee I am.

You will be fired from this job or another job at some point because you have a shitty attitude about your job.
I don't have a shitty attitude about my job, I have a shitty attitude towards inconsiderate and rude people.

Quite frankly, as a manager, we look for warning signs of problem children like you when you walk in for an interview. I would rather have an employee that WILL do the job rather than one that CAN do the job. After all that is why I am hiring an employee.
I'm assuming that "we" means managers in your company. I agree that you can spot some things that will cause concern in an interview, I suspect that's one of the reasons you have the interview in the first place. But I'm sure that you can't weed out all of the bad apple. Despite what you think, employees are not motivated by fear. The only work you'll get from them is your expectations. You should want your employees to exceed expectations, this only comes when the manager has inspired his/her employees.

This is the first and only time i ever agree with Bumbleroot 100%. Do your fucking job right,its not brain surgery .
I'm really disappointed with this post. First, what if your job IS brain surgery, what then? You can do your job wrong? Second, this post lacks serious reflection. It's like if someone came up to me to say that their health was failing and I responded, "Brush your teeth twice a day." Yeah, that's sound advice and a good solution, but not to the problem that was presented.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:00 AM   #43
cnjmorris

Unless, of course, it is brain surgery. In which case it would be stupid for the customer to abuse you =)

Catcen, Level 65 Beastlord.

Newbie for life.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:13 AM   #44
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

The point is, if your job makes you "you do something you thought you'd never do" because you can't handle it, then yeah, that job may not be for you.
I can handle it, doesn't mean I have to like it. Their are parts of my job that I do like, like when I make someone a bunch of money, but because the rude people irritate me, I shouldn't keep my job? Even though it's not the job I focused my anger on.

Nobody's playing the blame game here but you.
Don't blame customers for this. In fact, why don't you just ask the customers all to leave. See how long you will keep your job then with no customers.
The problem that customers have is dipshits like you that don't care about the job they do. You idiots keep wandering around with a stick up your ass and you make things more difficult on the customers and on yourself to boot.
You sure about that?

Wrong. A manager's job is to run the store/company/whatever and make sure things don't fall apart. Your work ethics are not his responsibility, they're yours.
Yeah, if you're managing McDonald's. Most companies, however, want their employees to care about their company, that's why they give stock options and other freebies with the company name. They want you to be proud to work for their company because your best work and best effort will be displayed. You don't think it's a manager's job to get their employees to love their company? There have been a lot of books published that emphasize this as a necessity for a successful business.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:33 AM   #45
korast

Welcome to Customer service. People who have been around a while know that if their angry, agressive, yet Carefully vulgar and not physically abusive, their more likely to get their way. Its a fine line to walk to be pissed off yet try to appear on the right still. They'll yell, shout, Ask for managers huff and puff, and occassionally throw something at the ground cause their pissed. Though in my time doing CS ive only seen 2 arguements actually resort to fist fights to solve things. Course what i did wasnt exactly main line CS. You do it for a while and youll learn to get used to it and learn how to effectively combat them.
korast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:36 AM   #46
bumbleroot

VC, you have already exhibited a weakness in not accepting constructive criticism. I know how that plays out in the workplace. That makes an employee hard to teach and hard to move forward.
I am assuming by working at Blockbuster that you probably haven't been in the workplace some 25 years or so as I have. I'm also assuming that you haven't had the pleasure of managing all types of employees and then realizing when you have good employees and some of the common threads between bad ones.
Unless you have seen me exhibit any of my management skills on these boards, I don't see how you can make a judgement about my management abilities.

When I look for good employees, I look for ones that learn from their mistakes. They make less mistakes as they go on and also make good potential managers. You don't seem to want to listen because you would rather sulk in your anger.
If you want your job to be done right, don't fault the customer for coming in 5 minutes before you close so you can get the hell out of there. Do your job right, go home and live your life there. When you are at work, do the job you were hired to do. If you have to work over, then do it and stop complaining. A good manager will notice your extra efforts and it shouldn't go unnoticed.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:57 AM   #47
bumbleroot

You don't think it's a manager's job to get their employees to love their company? There have been a lot of books published that emphasize this as a necessity for a successful business.
Its not a manager's job to get anyone to love their company. Its a managers job to get their employees to do the work they were hired to do. Some threaten, others praise, its all different styles to achieve this. Some work better than others.
It's nobody's job to make someone love their company. You can not change the way someone feels inside about their company. Some people are born anti-establishment some people develop it, some people are institutionalists, some are capitalists, some are greedy, some are apathetic. A manager can not change a person's outlook on their job. The person has to do that.
It is a company's job to make money and if in so doing that means they need to treat their employees right then they will do so. The larger, more successful companies realize that quality is tied directly to the treatment of their employees.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:49 AM   #48
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

VC, you have already exhibited a weakness in not accepting constructive criticism. I know how that plays out in the workplace. That makes an employee hard to teach and hard to move forward.
I am assuming by working at Blockbuster that you probably haven't been in the workplace some 25 years or so as I have. I'm also assuming that you haven't had the pleasure of managing all types of employees and then realizing when you have good employees and some of the common threads between bad ones.
Unless you have seen me exhibit any of my management skills on these boards, I don't see how you can make a judgement about my management abilities.
You idiots keep wandering around with a stick up your ass and you make things more difficult on the customers and on yourself to boot. You obviously think only of yourself. If you cared about the job you did, perhaps you would realize that your customers would treat you better as well. This is because you wouldn't fuck up as much.
The key word is constructive. I don't know how constructive that is but I do agree it is criticism.

What kind of double talk is that, anyway? First, I've made it clear that I do not work at Blockbuster or any other video store, I was simply using it as an example. Bottom line is that I have same type of information to evaluate your management skills as you have to evaluate my employment skills. I could argue that you've exhibited a weakness in management on how you view your role as a manager and then argue that this gives me the necessary information to make an all-encompassing determination as to your merits as a manager. I've seen managers that know how to get things done, but have an attitude of imposing expectations on others who were dismal failures. I know I can't blame every single employee because they lacked drive or their work ethis were substandard. At some point, the manager is responsible for the production of their employees.

Its not a manager's job to get anyone to love their company. Its a managers job to get their employees to do the work they were hired to do. Some threaten, others praise, its all different styles to achieve this. Some work better than others.
I'll meet you half way. A manager's job is technically what you've stated however, the best way to get employees to meet and exceed company goals and expectations is to get them to love their company. There are many books written on this subject and I believe the premise for the argument is a sound one. A manager who simply gets their employees to do their jobs is an average manager.

Edited for grammar

Last edited by Valleycrest; 04-22-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 PM   #49
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
A manager's job is technically what you've stated however, the best way to get employees to meet and exceed company goals and expectations is to get them to love their company. There are many books written on this subject and I believe the premise for the argument is a sound one. A manager who simply gets their employees to do their jobs are average managers.
I agree to a point. I believe that the best approach is to get your employees to have fun, or at the very least, not be desparately eager to get the hell out the door. Small talk, joking, and other borderline-unprofessional behavior can be a boon to the morale of my shift, and I use it as such. Of course, this gives me the added responsibility of ensuring that my CSRs don't get carried away, but that's a small expenditure of energy compared to the work I'd have to put in when the shift is over as I go back and re-do all of the crap that didn't get done.

If the customers see employees who are being productive, friendly, and showing respect for eachother, then they will feel more at ease. That, my friends, is a wonderful thing.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:35 PM   #50
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Welcome to Customer service. People who have been around a while know that if their angry, agressive, yet Carefully vulgar and not physically abusive, their more likely to get their way. Its a fine line to walk to be pissed off yet try to appear on the right still. They'll yell, shout, Ask for managers huff and puff, and occassionally throw something at the ground cause their pissed. Though in my time doing CS ive only seen 2 arguements actually resort to fist fights to solve things. Course what i did wasnt exactly main line CS. You do it for a while and youll learn to get used to it and learn how to effectively combat them.
Now I'm interested in what that job was...
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote