Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2004, 07:24 PM   #1
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
Default Draft Talk!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...raft&printer=1

Welp, I guess its time for me to visit my grandmother in Argentina... hmm or maybe go to Germany where my aunts are... hmmm
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Originally Posted by TheClericBanton
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...raft&printer=1

Welp, I guess its time for me to visit my grandmother in Argentina... hmm or maybe go to Germany where my aunts are... hmmm
Pussy!
Hell i'm 40 and i'll sign up. Are you scared of death? BRrrrrrrrr. Death... The Final solution.
Get over yourself and see the big picture. And no, I don't mean a movie.
When I get scared I call my accountant. who do you Call?, GRANDMA??

I hope they do bring in the draft. Your damn right! Why?
Because at 40 I'll be able to Volunteer. HOO-RA!

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Zolmaz.
Zolmaz Zo'Boto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
Deadscale

I swear they had that headline up for like an hour and then removed it

Yeh, draft sucks =P
Old 04-20-2004, 08:01 PM   #4
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
Im not scared of death, I have had my near death experiances already. I just dont want to go fight for another country that does not want us there... I dont want to fight a war that will make the rich richer...

I do not support this Bullshit war, I support our troops and hope for thier return but to hell with this Bullshit cause...
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:16 PM   #5
Deadscale

I think it's shit because they underestimated how much force was needed, that they need to resort to a draft. I wouldn't like the idea of being drafted either way, but cause wise, would prefer WWII than this crap.

I think most military would hate having some draftee near them for the reason that they would not want to be there and that draftee might get them killed. You won't be alert to the extent that they need you because you just want out.

Get the murderers/rapists out of jail give them a weapon and have them fight. They can't really run, insurgents will kill them if they decide to run off or not do what they are supposed.

I'll just bitch and moan till I'm actually taken there, then do my job once there.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:17 PM   #6
Chiteng
Supporter

I already tried to sign up. They told me to go home and die =)
I guess I am too old.

But I didnt make the attempt because I agreed with Bush.
I did it because of more valid reasons.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:36 PM   #7
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Cowards
Old 04-20-2004, 08:38 PM   #8
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Originally Posted by Deadscale
I think it's shit because they underestimated how much force was needed, that they need to resort to a draft. I wouldn't like the idea of being drafted either way, but cause wise, would prefer WWII than this crap.

I think most military would hate having some draftee near them for the reason that they would not want to be there and that draftee might get them killed. You won't be alert to the extent that they need you because you just want out.

Get the murderers/rapists out of jail give them a weapon and have them fight. They can't really run, insurgents will kill them if they decide to run off or not do what they are supposed.

I'll just bitch and moan till I'm actually taken there, then do my job once there.
Holy crap. Run Forest RUN!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:27 PM   #9
Siilverain
The Wind Caller

Send a message via AIM to Siilverain Send a message via Yahoo to Siilverain
I'm not against serving our country. I come from a family with lengthy military service records. That being said:

I am against forcing people to do so. It seems to beg for trouble when you force people to do anything - especially when you're asking them to possibly give up their lives for a war they might not support.

"Why shouldn't we ask all of our citizens to bear some responsibility and pay some price?" Hagel said, arguing that restoring compulsory military service would force "our citizens to understand the intensity and depth of challenges we face."
Each person in this country was raised under the freedom to think & feel how they choose. To even contemplate that each citizen in this country would think like the "hive-mind" enough to readily throw their lives away is insane. Because that's exactly how it sounds - they want citizens to "think as one".
Old 04-21-2004, 12:07 AM   #10
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Compulsory military service is the single greatest enemy of a democratic society.

It has too much potential for abuse, too drastic an effect on economy, and just plain contradicts the principles on which the country is founded.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:16 AM   #11
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

I already tried to sign up. They told me to go home and die =)
I guess I am too old.
No, somebody there probably knows you.

If I am called to serve, I'll serve, but I can't say that I'd look forward to it. I would gladly fight and die for my country, but if I said I'd rather be in the deserts of the middle east than in my job that I love in the States, I'd be lying.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 05:57 AM   #12
Kerryn

I think the day that comes when the US starts drafting people is the day every single bit of support for the war in Iraq ends.

And when the support dies, the first politician to announce the withdrawal from Iraq will be elected.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:04 AM   #13
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Zolmaz, you are the biggest pussy on this board. You've been talking for MONTHS- YEARS- about how much you'd love to serve your country. Fact of the matter is, you are absolutely nutless when it comes to stepping up little man. What's prevented you all this time from signing on in some capacity? What empty, craven bravado to sound so eager knowing full well that you won't be eligible (that is if we assume you are the middle-aged person you claim to be and not the 13 year old you act like). You won't volunteer to serve anymore than I'd volunteer to work for the Bush campaign.

As for me, I think everyone should participate in 18 months of compulsory public service upon graduating high school or turning 18. If called to the draft (unlikely at 26 really, which is fine by me given the conflict and the fact that I'm getting married and starting graduate school in the next four months and getting drafted would seriously fuck up my plans) I suppose I would go. I almost went in after college believe it or not- even spending most of a weekend with an Army recruiter shortly before graduation talking about a future as an officer. In the end though, it wasn't for me.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:24 AM   #14
Vulpes

I'd serve in a heartbeat.

I've regretted every single day that I didn't go to the Air Force Academy or accept the ROTC scholarships in college, just because as I have gotten older and wiser, I have realized that our country is a fucking great place to live, and it sure as hell didn't get great just by a bunch of pussies whining about it.

Someone fought, someone died and I am damn ashamed of myself that I didn't come to these realizations sooner, when I was younger. Guess, like everyone else, I only THOUGHT I knew everything when I was 17.

On that note, the next best thing I can do, is get a job with Halliburton/KBR and at least risk my neck in the only capacity I can. Getting old sucks.
In my mind, whether you think the war is just or not, everyone who is not ashamed of their country should do something to help.

Those of you who are ashamed, protest all you want, it's your right. Then move to France, obviously American balls are too big to fit in your mouth and you would prolly enjoy France so much more.

Vulpes
Vulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:30 AM   #15
Flub Man
Here's to you liberals!!!

Been there. Done it. Got several kewl mission t-shirts.

I do think having to serve 12-18 months in the military would be good for this country. I am just wondering how it would have a drastic effect on the economy?

"Starkville is the Indian word for Trailer Park."
~ Skip Bertman

'I was just wrong. Flub you are correct.'
~bumble
Flub Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:56 AM   #16
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Vulpes
it sure as hell didn't get great just by a bunch of pussies whining about it.
Actually, that's exactly how it got great- not by reactionary blowhards trying to stifle progressive attitudes and government criticism. I wouldn't call our founding fathers "pussies," but what exactly brought about armed resistance do you think? It sure wasn't by a bunch of guys sitting around and saying how great King George was and that anyone who thought otherwise should move to France.

I'm always amazed by those of you who fancy yourselves such great patriots and yet don't even have a 3rd grader's grasp on US history.

Lastly, how is working for Halliburton "the next best thing"??? How about volunteering here in the States to work for the people HERE who need your help. I don't see a ton of honor in running oil for a corporation that price gouges the government of the nation you yourself said is so great.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #17
Evelle

I seriously doubt that with the majority of baby boomers being the largest segment of the voting population right now that a draft would ever be brought back.

Many of those same baby boomers who were themselves drafted or otherwise effected by the draft have children in the agegroup to be drafted now. I don't see most of them willingly standing by and letting thier children be drug off to war against thier will.

I think that a first step if they need people would be an honest request of the people to consider joining a branch of the military by thier own choice. State the needs of the country and ask for more recruits. Many of the people that say they would go fight for thier country if they were needed might do just that and might help stop the need to consider having a draft.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:34 AM   #18
Flub Man

TAXES were a part of the reason. And most, not all mind you, of out Founding Father were CHRISTIANS.

~ Skip Bertman

~bumble
Old 04-21-2004, 08:35 AM   #19
Flub Man

Who was the idiot racist Congressman from NY who wanted to bring back the draft because he thinks the military favors white people over black people?

~ Skip Bertman

~bumble
Old 04-21-2004, 10:04 AM   #20
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

More than one congressman has proposed a return to the draft as a social equalizer- since the volunteer force is disproportionately lower/middle class.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:10 AM   #21
Deadscale

Yep, you'll have dead rich boys and dead poor boys
Old 04-21-2004, 10:35 AM   #22
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

But the catch is- rich daddies don't like their rich boys to die- and rich daddies might throw their weight, and their money, around to get us out of Iraq.

"I ain't no senator's son...."
Old 04-21-2004, 10:53 AM   #23
Flub Man

Damn it Horm....now I have to go buy some jeans...

"It ain't me. It ain't me...."

~ Skip Bertman

~bumble
Old 04-21-2004, 11:31 AM   #24
Caelie123

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
How about volunteering here in the States to work for the people HERE who need your help
. It's not the same thing Hormadrune. People here in the States know what freedom is. What people here need our help? The homeless? They can help themselves if they wanted to. The disabled? I have in the past set aside time to work with the disabled.

People in Iraq do need our help believe it or not.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #25
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Plus homeless people in the US generally aren't sitting on oil, right?
Aaaahhhh!

And this is yet another thing wrong with the republican party: you honestly don't see any people in need here in the US. Amazing how blind you are to the plight of those in need when they share citizenship with you. Simply amazing.