Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2004, 12:56 PM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default Kerry: join the army or i will fuck your student loan in the ass!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117067,00.html

Kerry is spending the week focusing on the spiraling cost of a college education. One linchpin of his package is a proposal to offer a free college education to young students who agree to a period of public service.
This is my favorite quote

"This is a windfall that creates excess profits for the banks," he said.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:19 PM   #2
Veo

Actually, I don't it's that bad of an idea. A bit flawed if executed as represented, but not a bad idea. It's not necessarily the military he's promoting. Just public service in general. Imagine being a postman for a few years to get into college.

Campaign officials said projections showed that 200,000 young people would agree to serve a two-year public service commitment, which would pay for the full cost of a four-year college education.
I question the numbers, but working for two years to get a degree isn't a bad trade off.

Steve Schmidt, a spokesman for President Bush's campaign, said the plan is badly flawed. "It leaves students more than $5,000 short of the full cost of attending college," Schmidt said
Even still, $5k isn't that much considering the cost of attending even a state school. It's not like the education is being given away, either. In effect, you'd be earning it.
Veo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Of course the PC crowd would get ahold of this if it ever passed...and we'll see what organizations you volunteer for qualify you for the benefits.

I can see it now...people getting shafted out of a benefit like this because they volunteer for Boy Scouts, teach Sunday school, etc...

"We don't want taxpayer monies being used to subsidize education for those who discriminate!" will be the cry from the left.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
ShardmoonVer.1

I am confused, isnt Kerry already complaining about a lack of jobs in this country? So his plan is to create a government agency and find busy work for people to do so we can pay for them to go to college? Do we really need more people taking tax dollars?

Whats next, government sponsored paper routes for the pre teen set. More government supported employment is not the answer. More government jobs is not the answer.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Do we really need more people taking tax dollars?
I can answer that...

FUCK NO.

Thanks.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
bumbleroot

I am confused, isnt Kerry already complaining about a lack of jobs in this country? So his plan is to create a government agency and find busy work for people to do so we can pay for them to go to college? Do we really need more people taking tax dollars?
Hmm, ever hear of the public works acts that FDR put into place? Ever hear of the GI Bill. Both helped this country big time.
Good Idea John.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:05 PM   #7
ShardmoonVer.1

Are you suggesting we set our standard of living back 70 years and let people dig ditches on the goverment dime as an economic fix? I wont argue about the effectiveness of the FDR programs because they served their purpose in their time, but WW 2 is what pulled us out the depression, not government handouts.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #8
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
It's not a bad idea in theory.

Problems would arise. Martigan brings up people applying for the Boy Scouts; that's not public service. Public service is working for a government job, such as the post office, military, or even a local chamber of commerce. Plenty of jobs the government pays for are effectively unskilled labor, which you could fill up not with people leeching a career off the government, but those who plan on going somewhere with their lives.

I do question the numbers. Not only that but you simply don't have enough jobs to give one to everyone who asks. There is a limit to how many people the government could employ.

In any case it's a nice idea, but not one I can see realistcally being implemented. You get people who claim it is not the governments job to give you a job, which is a bit strange. They aren't stealing tax dollars. Those positions exist already, and rather than leaving them as dead-end permanent careers for people who have no ambition, you use them as stepping stones to higher education.

Short of complete government takeover of the university system this is about the best you could do to help people get into college.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote