Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Default Thoughts on Presidential News Conference?

I think his speech was alright for him. He stumbled a few times but nobody's perfect.

Taking questions didn't go so well. He only answered a few of the ones asked completely.. with a lot of them going unanswered at all. Seems like he used the time to continue what he couldn't fit in his speech

Anyways, I'm not bashing Bush. Just posting my observations that it could have gone smoother.

What do you think?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
I would give him about an 8 of 10 on this one. The problem I think with the format is he got asked the same question about 10 times, just in different ways. Several of the reporters were trying to play a word game with him to trick him into saying he was at fault for 9/11 and he didn't fall for it, which was very smart of him in my book.

I loved the message he delivered. It's the main reason I firmly support him. He's a no nonsense man of his word, and he does not waffle or flip flop on issues.

This press conference should help his numbers in the coming weeks..I would expect a 4 to 5% increase in his stock in the polls..and for support for the liberation of Iraq to increase as well.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
bumbleroot

Ummm....I don't know that answer.

Seems like the Commander in Chief can't think on his toes eh?
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Yeah some of the questions were pretty similar.

Yep, sticking by his word is what he has goin for him. The day he listens to the whiners is the day he loses my support.

A part that made me lol:
>"Do you feel any personal responsibility for 9/11?"
I grieve. I grieve for the families ...
Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #5
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
That one question was a pretty good one that stumped the Pres... "What was your biggest mistake since 2001?" I liked his first response, "Why couldn't you have given me that question earlier today?" (or something like that).

I think his main focus of the conference was to provide a clear picture for the American people of what our goals and progress are.

I like the idea that Bush isn't the best speaker...we don't need an eloquent speaker, we need a good leader. I grew up with a stuttering problem, so I'm not shallow enough to rip on him for his lack of eloquent verbage.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:31 PM   #6
bumbleroot

Yep, sticking by his word is what he has goin for him.
Praytell Lurkerr, has he a plan to end this war? Who is he going to turn the country over to?
Does he have a word on these?

And sticking to one's words doesn't mean shit if those words have no good outcome. The ability to go down with the ship isn't what makes a captain a good captain. A good captain would never let the ship go down in the first place.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:36 PM   #7
Trith

Praytell Lurkerr, has he a plan to end this war? Who is he going to turn the country over to?
If you had watched and listened to the press conference your questions were answered clearly and concisely.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:12 PM   #8
bumbleroot

If you had watched and listened to the press conference your questions were answered clearly and concisely.
I listened and Bush said we will have to wait and see who we are turning it over to. He also gave no resolution to how we will complete the job, only that we will complete the job. He never answered.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:24 PM   #9
MoggeTreestump

Default Mho

I noticed at one point(near the end) George said something about us having the power of the ALMIGHTY behind us or something along those lines. I'm not much of a fact finder and I have poor memory.

But when I heard that word ALMIGHTY I felt 2 things. Love of my God the Almighty and fear that our president had just declared war on Islam.

Our president told our country(and the world) that it was our duty to protect the world and spread democracy with the power of the almighty. How far is Bush going to push this war. Is Syria next?(some people think that's where the WoMD went). At this rate I dont see a good ending.

Join with me in prayer Cons and Dems. Pray for our troops as they fight this holy war.
MoggeTreestump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 07:50 PM   #10
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Before this thread gets bumbled here is exactly what Bush said tonight.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117025,00.html
Old 04-13-2004, 07:53 PM   #11
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Bush said that freedom isn't a product of the US, but a gift from The Almighty to everyone.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:23 PM   #12
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Originally Posted by bumbleroot
And sticking to one's words doesn't mean shit if those words have no good outcome. The ability to go down with the ship isn't what makes a captain a good captain. A good captain would never let the ship go down in the first place.
I said "him" referring to Bush, not to everyone sticking to their words. Obviously it's on a case-by-case but in this case it's right imo.

I see no ship going down. What I see is a large percent of the population hoping the ship will go down so Bush looks like a tard.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:07 PM   #13
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Martigan
Bush said that freedom isn't a product of the US, but a gift from The Almighty to everyone.
I'd expect an Ayatollah or the Pope to say something similar as well.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:30 PM   #14
Everclear

After seeing his speech I was sick. His "War on Terror" is a great example of a stronger country imposing its beliefs somewhere it doesn't belong.

I will never forgive Bush's statement toward the end saying something along the lines of .. "The decision has been made and it will be seen through, nothing can stop it" something blah blah. I am not an Iraqi, and how DARE a president tell our nation that it can't stop HIM from HIS plans.

The President made very clear HIS agenda, it would be nice if it really reflected the interest of the whole country.
Everclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:30 PM   #15
bumbleroot

I see no ship going down.
That is because you have no ability to understand the consequences of international actions. You would rather say- hit them and we can fix it later.
We have hugely diminished our standing in the world. That was never necessary.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:05 AM   #16
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
I'll go over some interesting points on the speech, but what can I say? Everclear rather well summed it up.

Originally Posted by The President
He has assembled some of his supporters into an illegal militia
Illegal militia now? So only Americans have the right to bear arms and form a militia? Great job, condemning the actions our own Constitution defends.

widely repudiated
I have to wonder if he really knows what that means, considering it took me a moment to recognize it. Strange context.

It's not a civil war. It's not a popular uprising. Most of Iraq is relatively stable. Most Iraqis by far reject violence and oppose dictatorship.
1: Not a civil war because they aren't attacking each other. At least, anymore.
2: Not a popular uprising... in the whole of Iraq. In Fallujah it is.
3: Relatively stable? Alright... depends on what you're comparing it to. Nice weasel word.
4a: Yes, they do reject violence, and so does Islam as a whole
4b: Funny, it could be seen that we're the dictators now. After all we weren't voted in, or even asked to invade. Sort of dictatorial by definition.

a threat to America and to the world.
And it's right back to the scare tactics. Remember America, nobody is safe!

One central commitment of that mission is the transfer of the sovereignty back to the Iraqi people. We have set a deadline of June 30th. It is important that we meet that deadline.
You better believe we're holding you personally accountable for that one, George.

The transition to sovereignty also requires an atmosphere of security, and our coalition is working to provide that security.
How can we be secure there, as he has assured us, if there isn't even an illusion of security? Sort of admits right there that things aren't as peachy-keen as he wants us to think.

They seek the death of Jews and Christians and every Muslim who desires peace over theocratic terror. They seek to intimidate America into panic and retreat, and to set free nations against each other. And they seek weapons of mass destruction, to blackmail and murder on a massive scale.
Because the government isn't scaring the American public into compliance. Because the U.S. isn't intimidating the rest of the world into compliance. And because we're the only ones allowed to have weapons of mass dectruction. Oh, and Israel.

But that's not about religion.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 04:33 AM   #17
Trith

The President made very clear HIS agenda, it would be nice if it really reflected the interest of the whole country.
The president made clear OUR agenda. It may not be YOUR agenda but guess what..you have to deal with it because he's the elected president..and when he gets elected again in '04..you will have to suck it up and deal with it again.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:36 AM   #18
Trith

Because the government isn't scaring the American public into compliance.
No, that's what the Dems are doing..not the government. The Dems are responsible for attempting to turn this into another Vietnam..not the president. All I hear from the left these days is hate speech, fear-mongering, and extreme unfounded pessimism. And you wonder why you guys get looked at negatively in most polls..?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:15 AM   #19
Felessan

I think his 'fro needed some work, but the most part his speech went well. I thought he looked foolish in the Q&A, though. Didnt appear ready.

Oh well...I knew there was no way we were leaving Iraq in June. Not with the Iraqi National Defense Force, tucking tail at every turn.

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:52 AM   #20
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Trith, sometimes you are a funny funny man.
Originally Posted by Trith
He's a no nonsense man of his word
What about those job numbers he *promised*? What about promising not to use 9/11 for political gain and then running ads with images from that day?
Originally Posted by Trith
, and he does not waffle or flip flop on issues.
Steel tariffs ring a bell? What about a pledge of no nation building?

I think you folks like Bush because much like you, he has a boundless ability to ignore common sense, logic, and facts.

Your Bush-illusions are just so....
Old 04-14-2004, 06:57 AM   #21
Trith

Job numbers are great. Unemployment is going down, and we just went through one of the largest job growth quarters in history. The only bad thing about jobs in the US is the spin being applied by the dem party.

Steel tariffs was not an issue of waffling, we didn't have much of a choice. With the 50 cent an hour labor of South America crushing the US worker and steel industry he had no choice but to make the decision he did or it would have handed the entire industry over to slave labor practices and put every last American steel worker (what few there are) out of business. Blame the EU and NAFTA...not Bush.

We didn't go in to Iraq on the premise of nation building, we went in on the interests of national security. Pretty clear in his message last night.

Like I said before..he's kept his word..that's all that matters to me.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:05 AM   #22
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Good god man- that was impressive spin deflection even for you! Karl Rove would be proud. Unfortunately for you, I'm not quite that stupid and must simply marvel at your bald-faced bullshit. Kudos

The only way he keeps his word is by constantly changing it. I think both he and you must think that the rest of us don't read the newspaper and that we'll forget all about his promises and pledges of last week even if they run directly counter to this week's set of lies and half-truths. Amazing stuff.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:42 AM   #23
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Originally Posted by bumbleroot
That is because you have no ability to understand the consequences of international actions. You would rather say- hit them and we can fix it later.
We have hugely diminished our standing in the world. That was never necessary.
Why not prevent future problems down the road? World War 2 made it perfectly clear that America can not just sit back in our little country and watch as shit unravels. On the same token, it's not our right to police every country in the world. We shouldn't get involved in other countries civil wars for example. Vietnam was a disaster. But the people who I've heard comparing the 2 are have to be retarded.

There is a happy medium: When it does or can affect OUR nation in the future, we should get involved. Terrorism is a threat that should be taken seriously.

Edit: As far as standing in the eyes of the rest of the world. It's no secret that we are hated by a lot of people. Most of it stems from jealousy. The rest is taught. I could personally give a flying fuck what others think as long as life here in the US is happy and safe for all of our people.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:50 AM   #24
bumbleroot

Why not prevent future problems down the road?
You don't solve problems by creating new and more ones.
I said a long time ago on these boards that we would be creating new Anti-American regimes out of foreign electorates.
Look at what happened in Spain. Other European countries are retuning their stance to accurately reflect their electorate. Hence, expect more anti-American regimes to take shape in Europe. That greatly hurts any future coalitions in greater battles. It also effects us economically. If you think the French were hurt economically because we had a few people boycotting some of their goods over here, try having a lot of Europe, Asia and other places boycott American goods. This was all together the wrong move for America. If we had an international coalition of sentiment and forces, it would have been the right move.
Is going after someone you dislike only on the basis that you dislike him worth fucking up your future?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:12 AM   #25
kanibaal
korpse

Funny thing is none of the liberals who questioned the president asked about the economy... so who is focused on Iraq and 9/11 again?

Why did they ask him the same question 10 different ways? Did they all sit around and plan this? Big hats off to all you liberals in the media who used the presidents time infront of all america to try and twist things. The question time last night was a complete waste.

Last edited by kanibaal; 04-14-2004 at 09:31 AM.
kanibaal is offline   Reply With Quote