Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #26
Ramesses Elliscer

Send a message via Yahoo to Ramesses Elliscer
chukzombi:
Ramesses are you one of the Spanish troops?
No chuck cant say I am, I am an American Soldier.
Entitled to my opinions just like anybody else is (so I thought) apparently I forgot my place in this world and I will apologize for that. But to comment on the people welcoming us, I have yet to see any locals hug, throw flowers, wave or cheer for us in the Sunni triangle (were I am stationed right now). I've seen plenty of rounds fired at me, IED's (improvised explosive devices), RPG's (rocket propelled grenades), mortars, rocks and shoes fly my way.

I wish all my brothers and sisters in the not so bad places out here good luck. I never meant to start a flame or to start a bitch session, the events of Friday night took me hard and thats why I posted, I do appreciate everyones post, I do appreciate the different points of view because that is what makes us the greatest country on earth. It wont change the fact that I lost my heart for the fight out here, it wont change the fact that we will all carry out our missions like nothing happened.

I get to hear the news once in a while, and there is allot more going on here than what is reported on the news, there isnt enough time in the day to cover what really goes on here.

It's hard to loose brothers and sisters, and loosing 60+ in a week, a year after major combat was declared over, is much harder when you knew some of them

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Ramesses Elliscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:39 AM   #27
Kerryn

Proving that being a cunt has no boundaries.

Should send you over to Iraq Chuk. Your country would be so much better off.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:17 AM   #28
Chiteng
Supporter

To those that wish us to stay in Iraq: Why?

Do you seriously think that even if we manage to 'instruct' a gov we like
into power in Iraq, without being propped up by FORCE, how long would that Gov remain in power? Weeks is my guess, maybe less.

So what do we gain by staying? Bush is able to pander to the masses, that is what we get, Men are dying, so that he can get votes.

We are not even able to get Oil out of the place yet.

We should arm the Kurds and encourage them to expand south.
Let THEM do the dying.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:55 AM   #29
VenomsLust

Send a message via Yahoo to VenomsLust
A lot of times, I'm of the mind that we should pull our guys out of there and just nuke the place... =\
Too many innocents...

We went in, tore down a regime and are currently trying to instigate a new one. But, there are sects out there that are trying to run us out and form their own regime. They fight this "war" through propaganda, by convincing the populace that WE are the bad guys. Given the circumstances, I don't think that is such a hard thing to accomplish. Honestly, it doesn't look right, what we've done. But, what is done is done. If we back out of Iraq now, there would be more repercussions than if we remain till they are stable again. I know we've lost many of our soldiers over there and sadly, I know we'll lose more. But, I would like to think that they didn't die in vain. I only hope that whatever they plan on doing, they do it quickly and bring you boys home.

Ramesses - I'm sorry for the loss you suffered, it's never easy to loose a friend, or friends, in this case. But know that there are millions of people that support you and the rest of our troops. Each person has his or her own view of the "war" at hand. But, in almost every case, we all back the troops and hope for their safe return.

It can be very disheartening, when the very people you are trying to help, spit at you (or lob grenades at you), but hang in there, keep your head on your shoulders. There's still a job to be done and you're doing it well. We all want you to come home safe.

PO3
USN
Old 04-13-2004, 05:52 AM   #30
bumbleroot

I get to hear the news once in a while, and there is allot more going on here than what is reported on the news, there isnt enough time in the day to cover what really goes on here.
Not trying to use you as a political pawn here Ram, but its almost unbearable not to.
Caelie, next time you go and attribute "How bad it really isn't" to your conservative ideologues who are not sitting behind a gun in Iraq, remember that this is from someone that actually is behind a gun there.
Thank you Ram for proving to these cons on the boards the TRUTH that the regular news services speak of.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:18 AM   #31
Lith Ahntalon

Send a message via AIM to Lith Ahntalon Send a message via Yahoo to Lith Ahntalon
Ramesses, all I can say brother is that I am sorry for your loss. Although I am not in the military I too lost a brother in arms. He was one of my FTO's (Field Training Officer). He was a good guy and taught me a lot about what it takes to be on the job. I don't pretend to understand what you are going through over there but, please don't let the bastards get you down. Remember that while you are over there the focus is on you and your fellow comrades in arms and while it is hard you are that "thin green line" that keeps those that are attacking you from coming here to America and attacking your country, your state, your county, your hometown and even your friends and family. Fight the good fight and keep those that are depending on you (squadmates and citizens of this great nation) safe from harm. You have my prayers, respect and full support.

/Salute

FYI my other FTO took a year off of duty with my department and is in Afganistan as we speak.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:43 AM   #32
Scalz

Ramesses
I thought you might want to see this. Thank you by the way for all the things you and your friends are doing and enduring in Iraq.

http://www.tennessean.com/iraq/101/a...nt_ID=49790154

Soldiers said the Nashville visitors were a testament to their experience that many in Iraq if not most welcomed the U.S. intervention.
Scalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:55 AM   #33
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Scalz- in that story they were dealing with Kurds. That's a whole different ballgame as far as I can tell.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #34
Scalz

Yes, it does deal with Kurds.

However, what I was trying to show was that our militaries efforts have had an effect on some of the regions of Iraq. That there are citizens of Iraq that are greatful are troops are there.

The militiaries intervention has effected more then just the Sunni's and Shi'ites.
Scalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:38 PM   #35
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Originally Posted by Kerryn
Proving that being a cunt has no boundaries.

Should send you over to Iraq Chuk. Your country would be so much better off.
Agree.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:02 PM   #36
Caelie123

Originally Posted by Bumbleroot
Caelie, next time you go and attribute "How bad it really isn't" to your conservative ideologues who are not sitting behind a gun in Iraq, remember that this is from someone that actually is behind a gun there.
Thank you Ram for proving to these cons on the boards the TRUTH that the regular news services speak of.
Bumbleroot, do you not read what people post. I have posted before that I have had conversations with a guildmate that came back from Iraq and is on his way back now. We got an e-mail from him the other day. This particular person was in battle there. He feels good about what he's doing for his country. He feels that we're doing the right thing. He's ready to get back at it and make the ultimate sacrifice for his country if thats what it takes. I am speaking of an American soldier in Iraq and not some conservative ideologue that you speak of.
The lady I work with's daughter was in Iraq. Remember that conversation? Her humvee was bombed and she is getting a medical discharge after 3 surgerys on her knee. She is upset that she can't go back. Guess what she's doing after she's released from the military....going to Iraq to become a civilian security guard. Her mom is balistic and thinks she's a fool, but she'll support her daughter because fighting for her country and the people of Iraq was important to her.

Like Ramesses, I'm sure there are some soldiers not happy about being in Iraq. I'm sure some feel like we're fighting this war for no reason, but don't try to make it sound like the majority of the soldiers feel like he does. I heard just the opposite from the two people I mentioned. They said moral is good for the most part and have sensed very little negative feedback from other soldiers around them.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:14 PM   #37
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Holy rose colored glasses Caelie!!!

I don't have survey statistics from troops, but the ones I know sure as shit aren't happy to being in Iraq, and given that the mission there becomes less and less clear and the dangers more and more prevalent, I wouldn't think my buddies- none of which share my political views certainly hehe- are in the minority.

We're not fighting Nazis or even Commies here- the lines between good guys and bad guys are barely even there. The same guy you built a house for on Tuesday is just as likely to be the guy who fires an RPG into your soft-side humvee on Thursday.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:18 PM   #38
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Soldier's wife says husband died for a lost cause

Stuff like this, for instance.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:20 PM   #39
Caelie123

There ya go Hormadrune. We don't travel in the same circles. We're going to get conflicting reports and opinions from different people seeing things first hand now aren't we.

Thanks for making my point. Bumbleroot wants to believe that everybody feels and thinks like him and his liberal buddies.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #40
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Oh I'm not making your point for you- I'm inclined to think that the majority of troops there DON'T want to be there.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:32 PM   #41
Ulujain

Originally Posted by chukzombi
No, he's a US soldier. Something you should've been, but spent all your time instead abusing Google and Lycos finding shit out about Mitch the Blonde for that little notepad you keep on the bad people you've met in EQ.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #42
Felessan

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
Oh I'm not making your point for you- I'm inclined to think that the majority of troops there DON'T want to be there.
That's a bold statement. I would go so far as to say it is an uninformed point of view, as well.

As one who has been there most of the folks, at least to talk to, understand why we're there, and just want to do their duty.

That is not to say there aren't naysayers out there. Of course there are people on any deployment who wish they had never got tapped...but that is life. They signed their name on the dotted line just like we did. They'll have their option in a couple of years to exercise their right to discontinue service.

That being said...

It is foolish for the Chain of Command to not consider the morale of their troops when around every turn we're facing constant exposure to enemy observation/fire, IED's, ambush, harassing fire, a local populace who is told to hate you, no creature comforts, and a general lack of anything to do but do your duty and wait for the next exchange of gunfire. These effect readiness and the ability of the troops on the ground to react effectively as a unit.

Sooner or later...this is going to get ugly...hopefully we can unfuck ourselves and move on soon.

We'll see.

***EDIT***

Forgot to add...

/salute Ramesses

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:35 AM   #43
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

uninformed point of view
I could be wrong, but it absolutely is not an uninformed POV. I speak with the handful of friends I have over there as often as I can and hell- I read the news. Coming to the conclusion that I have is a hell of a lot more sensical than simply assuming everyone in uniform wants to be in a country that doesn't seem to welcome their presence anymore and says so with actions ranging from peaceful protests to the business end of an RPG.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:27 PM   #44
Felessan

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
I could be wrong, but it absolutely is not an uninformed POV. I speak with the handful of friends I have over there as often as I can and hell- I read the news. Coming to the conclusion that I have is a hell of a lot more sensical than simply assuming everyone in uniform wants to be in a country that doesn't seem to welcome their presence anymore and says so with actions ranging from peaceful protests to the business end of an RPG.

I dont make this assumption...Ive been in their shoes. I also do not assume all want to be there...I made a caveat for that.

As has been mentioned earlier...I think we run in different circles and speak to different folks. Nothing wrong with that...just different.

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote