Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2004, 03:20 AM   #1
Ramesses Elliscer

Send a message via Yahoo to Ramesses Elliscer
Default Time to leave Iraq IMO

Hey guys, its time to go. I had friends die here this weekend. Friday night was one of the most horrible nights I’ve spent in Iraq, the mortars were never ending, and a few soldiers lost their lives. I'm starting to think that 1 soldier’s life is too much to give for this country (Iraq). All the good we are doing here is for nothing, now we are getting beat down by both sects, we are caught in a crossfire heading for a civil war, this deployment as lost all meaning to me as of Friday. We lost the faith of the people and now we are loosing control of the country as well, the road we are heading down is full of death....
This is an opinion of a soldier, take it as you want, feel free to criticize, it wont bring my buddies back and it wont make me forget that Halliburton’s KBR is making a ton of money at our expenses.

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Ramesses Elliscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:36 AM   #2
Xanthaar
Toon Army

For what little consolation it may mean to you and your fellow soldiers out there, please know that there are *millions* world-wide who agree with you and believe that it was wrong to send you all to Iraq in the first place.

I think it's rather telling that probably the most intelligent, reasoned posts on this board come from yourself, Ramesses.

Sincerely wishing you a swift and safe return home.
Xanthaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:17 AM   #3
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
I have a friend in Iraq who is moving to the region South and South-West of Baghdad, an extremely hostile area. He was suppose to leave Iraq, along with 24,000 troops, at the end of this month but they have extended his stay there for another 90 days...

Even if I do not believe in religion I still pray for his safety.

I honestly hope someone sets this straight, We have soldiers dying for a country that does not welcome them.
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:31 AM   #4
Caelie123

Sorry Ramesses I have to disagree with you, but you being the soldier over there I certainly won't flame ya.
Now would be the worst time of all to leave. It would show the terrorist and insurgents that the US has no backbone. I agree it's been a bad week for American Soldiers, but it would be worse down the road if we turned around and ran from a handfull of protesters.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:54 AM   #5
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
I agree it's been a bad week for American Soldiers, but it would be worse down the road if we turned around and ran from a handfull of protesters.
It's a lot more than just a handful of protestors. Fox probably makes it out to be a small band of rebels but it's all over the newspapers that groups once dire enemies with each other are now cooperating against us.

Something caused an attitude shift; we had support of the general public in Iraq about a month ago, and now that's pretty much dissipated. I don't know what it is but these things don't happen without reason and without warning. Something major is going on, and we aren't being told about it.

Ramasses, I wish you luck and safety.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:13 AM   #6
bumbleroot

Although I strongly disagree with this war, I do not agree with your sentiment. We can not nor will not walk away from Iraq. That being said, try to hang on in there and do your best. Know that even those who do not like what is happening over there have you in their prayers. It isn't an easy task and definitely is one that is probably greater than any before in your life, but hold your head up and keep focused- we all are supporting you. Don't ever stop believing in yourself because now is the time that you need it.
Rest assured that many of us citizens in America are doing our best to try to bring this to an end via political means and pressures. Most of the time that is the only way to end a war.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:43 AM   #7
Ramesses Elliscer

Send a message via Yahoo to Ramesses Elliscer
never meant for it to be a bitch session, just more of a vent, we are here and we'll stay no matter what.

/salute all

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Ramesses Elliscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

we are here and we'll stay no matter what.
What a sad truism that is.

As to some of you in this thread, I find it nauseating that you want to prove America has a backbone through the blood of men like Ramesses here. This guy and thousands like him are over there getting shot at and worse so armchair warriors like many posters here can proudly boast that "America is no pussy"!?

Read the news boys and girls- this is a lost cause- kiss your misguided dreams of winning over the hearts of Iraqis goodbye.

Stay safe Ramesses. I support you and the rest of the troops, but I do not, nor did I ever, support this war.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:09 AM   #9
Caelie123

Maybe you're being misguided by what you hear on CNN AresProphet, but they interviewed a general that said the majority of the Iraqi's were still behind the coalition, the majority did not want the military to leave and the problems are coming from small cells of insurgents.

Who knows which report is correct? Fox or CNN? Ramesses feels like we're not wanted and fighting a loosing battle, other soldiers I talk to say it's rewarding when the Iraqi's hug their neck and we are winning the battle.
Matter of opinion I guess.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #10
Ulujain

I'd take the word of a soldier like Ramesses over two television networks and the bullshit spouted by some four star rear echelon mofo.

Stay safe Ramesses and come home soon, to wherever home is.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #11
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Now would be the worst time of all to leave. It would show the terrorist and insurgents that the US has no backbone. I agree it's been a bad week for American Soldiers, but it would be worse down the road if we turned around and ran from a handfull of protesters.
Exactly. Anyone who does not recognize or care about this is not as smart of a person as they would like to see themselves as.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:27 AM   #12
korast

We turn and run, its not just slightly bad. Its extremely bad. Any democrat with his head on straight would want to leave, but wouldnt just bail early on iraq. It'd be a disasterous mistake to do that.
korast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:30 AM   #13
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
I find it nauseating that you want to prove America has a backbone through the blood of men like Ramesses here. This guy and thousands like him are over there getting shot at and worse so armchair warriors like many posters here can proudly boast that "America is no pussy"!?
Yeah, good one Horm. Everyone who supports staying in Iraq till it's over just wants to wave their penis in the air and brag how cool America is... right.

A huge part of the reason all this shit's happening in the first place is because people didn't think the U.S. was going to do anything.. and if we did that we were going to do a half-assed job of it.

Yes Ramesses and all the other may give their blood for this. There hasn't been a draft for the war. Everyone there volunteered to protect their country and they are doing just that.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:38 AM   #14
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Lurkerr
Everyone there volunteered to protect their country and they are doing just that.
I seriously beg to differ on that point- and that was the main reason for my opposition to this entire debacle in the first place.

Don't get me wrong- I understand certain lines of logic for staying in: we don't want to encourage the idea that if they kill enough people and blow enough shit up that we'll cave in and leave. But what are you fighting for at this point? I maintain that this is a futile pursuit by the US and coalition partners.

But no, there will be no sensical withdrawal strategy that keeps our troops' and our nations' best interests at the forefront. The current administration, and likely any administration, won't risk the political fallout of appearing weak in the face of resistance.

So stay tuned for more news of dozens of US soldiers dieing, not to mention hundreds of Iraqi civilians- both the good guys and the bad guys. And for what? Hubris. Enjoy your karma though
Old 04-12-2004, 11:16 AM   #15
bumbleroot

but they interviewed a general that said the majority of the Iraqi's were still behind the coalition,
I think you would be hardpressed to ever find a General speak bleakly about their situation. It would be idiotic if they did.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #16
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Maybe you're being misguided by what you hear on CNN AresProphet, but they interviewed a general that said the majority of the Iraqi's were still behind the coalition, the majority did not want the military to leave and the problems are coming from small cells of insurgents.

Who knows which report is correct? Fox or CNN? Ramesses feels like we're not wanted and fighting a loosing battle, other soldiers I talk to say it's rewarding when the Iraqi's hug their neck and we are winning the battle.
Matter of opinion I guess.
Maybe you don't understand that I don't watch either of those networks. I don't watch TV news, period.

And bumbleroot has a point. No general is going to speak out openly against the war, because their position might be at risk for saying something like that.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:25 PM   #17
korast

Many generals are pro any war, they dont get to be generals in the army by being pacifists. A good example is MacArthur... He wanted to use Nuclear weapons on china and invade them after defeating japan.
korast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:34 PM   #18
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Ramesses are you one of the Spanish troops?
chukzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:22 PM   #19
bumbleroot

Many generals are pro any war, they dont get to be generals in the army by being pacifists.
This is not true. Generals are not pro-war. They see war as a last resort. The Army tries not to promote those that are gung-ho too far up into the chain of command. They want men with clear minds, not agendas.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:28 PM   #20
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Originally Posted by bumbleroot
This is not true. Generals are not pro-war. They see war as a last resort.
1 for 2
Old 04-12-2004, 06:38 PM   #21
Caelie123

I choose to take the word of a General over the word of a liberal left wing anti-Bush, anti-war newschannel, paper or wherever it is you get your info that the Iraqi's have turned against us.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:42 PM   #22
bumbleroot

I choose to take the word of a General over the word of a liberal left wing anti-Bush
Then listen to Barry McCaffrey and Wesley Clark.
Caelie when you have Generals converting to the Democratic party such as Wesley Clark, that kind of tells you something is going wrong.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:47 PM   #23
Caelie123

And when I see Democrats converting to the Republican party that tells me something is wrong with the Democratic party as well. Your point?
Old 04-12-2004, 06:58 PM   #24
bumbleroot

And when I see Democrats converting to the Republican party that tells me something is wrong with the Democratic party as well. Your point?
Caelie- Generals. Stick to your point that you first made. Generals are speaking out against what is going on. That tells you something is wrong.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:58 PM   #25
Maximus Faticus

Ramesses are you one of the Spanish troops?
That made me chuckle.
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote