Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2004, 11:03 AM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default Who is running the crooked campaign?

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Mar 31, 5:25 PM EST

GOP Accuses Kerry of Using Soft Money

By SHARON THEIMER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Republicans moved to stop pro-Democratic groups from spending millions to defeat President Bush, filing a federal complaint Wednesday that accuses John Kerry's campaign of illegally coordinating its political ads and get-out-the-vote activities with anti-Bush groups.

The GOP complaint reflected the concern among the Bush-Cheney team about the influence of the outside groups, which, combined with Kerry's campaign, nearly have matched the Republicans' ad buying. The complaint to the Federal Election Commission also was the first step in a case that could end up in the courts.

"They're making a mockery of what the rules are," Bush campaign chairman Marc Racicot said in unveiling the complaint. The GOP cited fund-raising solicitations, overlapping strategists and the timing of ads as proof that Kerry and the outside Democratic groups were coordinating their efforts.

Kerry's campaign dismissed the complaint as political gamesmanship.

"John Kerry and his campaign have nothing to do with these ads or the groups that run them," Michael Meehan, a senior adviser to Kerry, said in a statement.

The complaint accuses Kerry, pro-Kerry groups and donors of violating the campaign law that broadly prohibits using corporate, union and unlimited donations known as "soft money" to influence federal elections.

In a highly unusual move, the Bush campaign and Republican Party asked the FEC to immediately dismiss the complaint and clear the way for them to take the case to court through a lawsuit.

Usually complainants pursue FEC action before going to court, even though it could take months or even years for the commission to resolve complaints. But the Bush campaign said it was seeking a speedy ruling to cut off the flow of millions in soft money to the Democratic groups.

"No penalty, civil or criminal, after the fact could possibly remedy the irreparable harm caused by allowing this illegal activity to continue unabated," the GOP complaint says.

The complaint alleges $1 million-plus donors to the groups such as billionaire George Soros broke the law by knowingly giving soft money to finance presidential election activities. The groups and Soros contend they are operating legally.

The Republican complaint focuses in part on two groups, MoveOn.org and the Media Fund, that have been running ads in March criticizing Bush in several battleground states. Kerry, too, has been airing ads in key states, but on a much smaller scale.

The complaint cites at least three factors it says proves coordination: links between people involved in some of the soft money groups and the Kerry campaign during the same election cycle; the timing of media buys in the same states and media markets; and TV stations receiving a Media Fund ad on Kerry's economic plan before Kerry delivered a speech on an element of his economic plan.

The Kerry speech last Friday on a corporate tax proposal had been planned for days. The Media Fund ad on Kerry's economic positions mentioned only what Kerry had been saying publicly for months.

"I'd call it slanderous nonsense - the typical Republican politics of intimidation," said Media Fund spokesman Jim Jordan, who was formerly Kerry's campaign manager and is named in the complaint.

MoveOn president Wes Boyd called the charges "baseless and irresponsible."

It is difficult to prove illegal coordination. Political ad buys are public record, and it's common practice for campaigns and interest groups to watch where others buy airtime and react accordingly.

"They're going to need more than just showing there is a parallelism between what the Media Fund does and what the Kerry campaign does," for example, said Larry Noble, head of the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics and former FEC general counsel. "They're going to have to show some discussion, some meeting, at least some sharing of information between the Kerry campaign and these organizations."

Others named in the complaint include the pro-Democratic groups America Coming Together, America Votes, Voices for Working Families and Moving America Forward; major donors, including Soros, who has pledged millions to anti-Bush soft money efforts; and leaders of the groups, including New Mexico Democratic Gov. Bill Richardson, a founder of Moving America Forward and chairman of the Democratic National Convention.

---

Associated Press Writer Liz Sidoti in Washington contributed to this report.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Is it ok for the democratic party to use a legal loophole to slander the president during election year as long as they dont use Bush's name?
I wonder how many more dirty tricks the democrats will use this year in an attempt to save their waning party
Old 04-02-2004, 11:09 AM   #2
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
It's expected. Besides it doesn't really have any impact as most people realize it's nothing but lies anyway. I would suggest that all it really does is weaken Kerry's campaign because the nation has gotten fairly sick and tired of lieing political slander commercials.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 07:32 PM   #3
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

By JIM RUTENBERG, The New York Times

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif., (March 31) — Galvanized politically in ways they have not been since the early 1990's, Hollywood's more liberal producers and writers are increasingly expressing their displeasure with President Bush with not only their wallets, but also their scripts.

In recent weeks, characters in prime time have progressed beyond the typical Hollywood knocks against Washington politicians to calling out the president directly or questioning his policies, including the decision to go to war in Iraq, the support of the antiterrorism law and the backing of a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

On the NBC show "Whoopi," the hotelier played by Whoopi Goldberg delivered an anti-Bush screed when the president, played by a lookalike, appeared at her establishment to use the facilities. "I can't believe he's in there doing to my bathroom what he's done to the economy!" she said.

One of the wise-cracking detectives on the NBC show "Law & Order," played by Jesse L. Martin, referred to the president as the "dude that lied to us." The character went on to say, "I don't see any weapons of mass destruction, do you?" His cantankerous partner, played by Jerry Orbach, retorted that Saddam Hussein did have such weapons because the president's "daddy" sold them to a certain someone "who used to live in Baghdad."

But the season finale of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on HBO arguably best conveyed the growing sentiment. On that episode, the main character, played by the comedian Larry David, backed out of a dalliance sanctioned by his wife after noticing that his prospective paramour had lovingly displayed a picture of Mr. Bush on her dresser.

Network executives and some producers said these were isolated cases, reflecting the political debate dividing the country and coming at a time when television has never had a greater diversity of viewpoints on a wider array of channels. They added that these examples should not be seen as reflective of a supposed liberal agenda in the entertainment industry, an argument they said was undercut by shows with patriotic streaks like "J.A.G." on CBS. (These network executives declined to be quoted by name because, they said, it would be tantamount to engaging publicly in a debate traditionally thorny for them.)

Still, many in the creative community are not shy about their anger and distress with the administration, and some acknowledge channeling those emotions into their productions.

"You want to say to people, `Wait a minute, is this man leading this country as an American or is he leading the country as a Christian,' " said Ms. Goldberg, who is an executive producer and writer for "Whoopi."

Asked if she would be pleased if her show could contribute to the defeat of Mr. Bush, she said, "I would like that," but added that she was careful to present opposing views.

Tim Graham, an analyst with the Media Research Center, a conservative group that monitors the media for signs of liberal bias, said scripts had not been this political since the 1992 election. That campaign season, displeasure over 12 years of Republican residency in the White House and Dan Quayle's criticism of the fictitious Murphy Brown for having a child out of wedlock contributed to the outspokenness.

Mr. Graham and other observers said the barbs dwindled during the term of President Bill Clinton, who counted many in the Hollywood creative community as his friends.

And certainly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, many in Hollywood seemed to get behind the president to see how they could help bolster the image of the United States abroad. Some executives later produced programming like "DC 9/11: Time of Crisis," a Showtime movie about Mr. Bush's handling of the attacks that liberal critics said unduly lionized him.

Producers, actors and longtime executives said that the combination of the failure to find unconventional weapons in Iraq, the troubled economy and the president's environmental and social policies had stirred the town's prominent liberals to action.

"I have never, ever seen this community more united than right now, never," said Laurie David, Mr. David's wife, who has been active in organizing the creative community against Mr. Bush. "Not a day goes by when I'm not getting a dozen calls from people saying to me, `What can I do?' And it's all with one goal: to change the course of what's going on in this country and get rid of this administration."

Ms. David and her like-minded peers are putting a lot of money behind the push. She, for one, has given $100,000 to the Media Fund and America Coming Together, Democratic groups using unlimited donations to run television commercials and to motivate voters against the president. Marcy Carsey, whose production house Carsey-Werner-Mandabach produces "Whoopi," has given $500,000 to the Media Fund, federal election records show. Ms. Carsey declined to be interviewed for this article.

On Wednesday night alone, Senator John Kerry's campaign was estimated to have raised $2.5 million at a fund-raising event in Beverly Hills attended by powerful studio executives like Sherry Lansing, the chief executive of Paramount Studios, and stars like the actors Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson. Mr. David, who declined to comment for this article, performed at the fund-raiser. Saying he had a lot in common with the president, Mr. David described himself as "a nincompoop, a chicken and a liar."

Republicans, conservatives and campaign aides to the president said they expected money to flow from Hollywood, a place they consider a bastion of liberalism, to the Democrats. But they said they were surprised by how much partisan sentiment seemed to be seeping onto television.

Mr. Graham said the anti-Bush sentiment coming across in prime time was more troublesome than usual because it was woven into scripts across so many of the major networks, and not restricted to sketch comedy.

"It's different when you're really involved in `NYPD Blue' or `Law & Order,' and to you it's, `That's my man Sipowicz and he doesn't like Bush,' " Mr. Graham said. "This can be seen, and certainly is seen, by conservatives as Hollywood's in-kind contribution to the Kerry campaign."

Matthew Dowd, the president's chief campaign strategist, said he was not planning any moves to combat such scripted critiques. "I do acknowledge every bit of information that's communicated on things has some effect," he said. "But I don't think it's something you run against. It's something you acknowledge that exists, it's just something that's there."

Some producers said they were simply raising important questions as part of a larger national debate. Dick Wolf, the executive producer of the troika of "Law & Order" series, said that his characters' critiques of Mr. Bush were in his programs' long tradition of equal-opportunity provocation. "Virtually everyone who lives in the lower 48 states at one time or another has been offended by `Law & Order,' " Mr. Wolf said in a statement.

But other producers are more pointed in their questioning.

"Why does it have to become unpatriotic to do something that is our inherent right, which is to debate issues?" said Tom Fontana, the creator of shows like "Oz" and "Homicide."

Mr. Fontana said he wrote a film for HBO called "Strip Search" to explore the merits of the USA Patriot Act. The film, which has not been shown yet, tracks the parallel experiences of an American woman being held for questioning by the authorities in China and a Muslim man being held for questioning in the United States, both on suspicions of terrorism.

"The real question is, if it's wrong for a white American woman to be mistreated in a repressive country, is it O.K. for us to mistreat a Muslim male in this country?" he said. "I don't know the answer, but when does the humanity stop and the fear take over?"

Robert Breech, an executive producer of "The Practice" on ABC, said his show was trying to spark debate and entertain while presenting both sides. In one episode, a lawyer gave an impassioned speech to a jury in which she referred to the use of a "free speech zone" that kept protesters away from Mr. Bush. "What is happening to this country?" the lawyer asked.

"We're really just inviting people to think about these things," Mr. Breech said. "How far is too far in seeking security?"

Old 04-02-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Imgine the *foul cry* from the dems if the Repubs did this.
And if we used the same loophole they would be
raising a shit-storm of protest. To bad it's not
a loophole. The dems will pay dearly in
the end.

God Bless America
Zolmaz Zo'Boto (Loopholes are like assholes, some people just can't smell the poop past their blind lust)
Zolmaz Zo'Boto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:49 PM   #5
Chiteng
Supporter

I had no idea that the pro-Bush people were so afraid. Obviously they are not
as confident as they pretend to be.

As long as both parties refuse to allow campaign finance reform, I take such stories with large amounts of salt.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 01:07 AM   #6
Ulujain

Question you should be asking is: who isn't running a crooked campaign? Answer: nobody in politics. Yes, that's a truism.

The guy who raises the most money wins.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:54 AM   #7
Gerick

Originally Posted by Zolmaz Zo'Boto
Imgine the *foul cry* from the dems if the Repubs did this.
And if we used the same loophole they would be
raising a shit-storm of protest. To bad it's not
a loophole. The dems will pay dearly in
the end.

God Bless America
Zolmaz Zo'Boto (Loopholes are like assholes, some people just can't smell the poop past their blind lust)

the repubs already did it, in another way tho zol.

recent add said kerry voted no for hazard pay increase for troops, for pay increase, for higher health benefits and 2 other thinks.

the way they present it you would think it was 5 bills hit knocked out or voted no on, but in truth the bush campain is using congress to MAKE dirt on kerry, it was all one bill, and it had ALOT of other things in it that made it a non-workable spending project, a question of ethics and truth telling comes into play on both sides, and imo both sides are fucked up, and we get to pick the lesser of 2 fucktards WOOT yay us!

nice ending to the add tho
"kerry wrong for american defense!"

sadly it failed to mention it was a massive spending package that would put FURTHER debt on future generations, sorry grand kids and great grandkids but you have to pay for the great american jihad of 2001-2003, even tho you dont want to work for 20 cents an hour, nor did you want to be born with a nations debt upon you, to bad
Gerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 02:54 AM   #8
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Sad, but true, Peter.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 02:57 AM   #9
Gerick

Peter
Old 04-03-2004, 04:26 AM   #10
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Peter= Ulu, but Zol posted at the same time I did.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 06:21 PM   #11
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Chuk, you really should summarize. You do this a lot, making multi-page psots just to quote a single article. Link it, quote the relevant parts, and state your position. If we want to we can read it.

Anyway.

Question you should be asking is: who isn't running a crooked campaign? Answer: nobody in politics. Yes, that's a truism.

The guy who raises the most money wins.
Second part: more or less true.

First part: not necessarily. Kucinich wasn't running a campaign anyone could call crooked.... some just called it crazy
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:26 PM   #12
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Second part i could only cut and paste becuase i got it off of AOL's news service. I link the whole story becuase it gives the reader full slant of the article this way people can make up their own minds. I then add my opinion at the bottom, plus taking things out of context is not something i do. I leave that up to you and bumble
chukzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:35 PM   #13
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Originally Posted by Gerick
the repubs already did it, in another way tho zol.

recent add said kerry voted no for hazard pay increase for troops,
And it's true.

the way they present it you would think it was 5 bills hit knocked out or voted no on, but in truth the bush campain is using congress to MAKE dirt on kerry, it was all one bill, and it had ALOT of other things in it that made it a non-workable spending project, a question of ethics and truth telling comes into play on both sides, and imo both sides are fucked up, and we get to pick the lesser of 2 fucktards WOOT yay us!
Wow. I don't know what to say with all the facts you present.
Would it make you feeeel better if I told you that if you played the lottery
next week, you would win 100-million dollars?

No wait. If you had that much money you would be no better then Bush. Or Kerry.
*GASP* or maybe you would become the elitist that you despise so much.
Bush isn't even worth that much though. Damn! there goes my association.

sadly it failed to mention it was a massive spending package that would put FURTHER debt on future generations, sorry grand kids and great grandkids but you have to pay for the great american jihad of 2001-2003, even tho you dont want to work for 20 cents an hour, nor did you want to be born with a nations debt upon you, to bad
What massive spending package? Congress passes spending, not Bush.
President Bush can only veto after the "package" passes through Congress.

The only debts on future generations will be from the Dems, Sucker-Economics.

Gerick,
The Dems have had 8-years to fix everything your complaining about today.
Your comtempt is noted. Now it's our turn. Tag!-Were IT!
It's your turn to hide. Remember? It's war time,
libs hide like sheeple. Check your handbook.

Have a Wonderfull and Happy summer. Go sing kum-Ba-ya or something. stupid libs
May god be with you.

God Bless America
Zolmaz.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:49 PM   #14
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Much of politics is corrupt, I would suppose, but don't actually know. Without any direct interaction with them, how would I? A large part of what I do know is through textbook reading and media coverage, both of which are highly subject to interpretation and manipulation. I guess I know what I am told, which doesn't necessarily mean I know the truth.

The media is a powerful tool. Jim Bob can have an opinion and no one cares. Jim Bob can then become a celebrity, and suddenly his opinion means something. I suppose they're doing what their particular "art" allows them to - express themselves. It's just a shame that some people put more stock into what they say because they were on "that one show", or because they can write something into a show to be said by someone famous.

With great power comes great responsibility.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:10 PM   #15
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Originally Posted by Brigiid
Much of politics is corrupt, I would suppose, but don't actually know. Without any direct interaction with them, how would I? A large part of what I do know is through textbook reading and media coverage, both of which are highly subject to interpretation and manipulation. I guess I know what I am told, which doesn't necessarily mean I know the truth.

The media is a powerful tool. Jim Bob can have an opinion and no one cares. Jim Bob can then become a celebrity, and suddenly his opinion means something. I suppose they're doing what their particular "art" allows them to - express themselves. It's just a shame that some people put more stock into what they say because they were on "that one show", or because they can write something into a show to be said by someone famous.

With great power comes great responsibility.
Well read Brigiid. Your logic astounds me. You've certainly missed the brainwashing
by our current American feminist educational system.

*Salute*

God Bless America
Zolmaz.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:10 PM   #16
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Whoopee should be more concerned why she is still a failure in the entertainment industry after 20 years. Hi my name is whoopee goldberg, i was in the biggest movie of 1990 (ghost) and i still fucked up my career!
Old 04-03-2004, 11:16 PM   #17
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Originally Posted by chukzombi
Whoopee should be more concerned why she is still a failure in the entertainment industry after 20 years. Hi my name is whoopee goldberg, i was in the biggest movie of 1990 (ghost) and i still fucked up my career!
Chuki, keyboard! Wrong thread you dope! hehe. *Cheerz*

Zolmaz.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:19 PM   #18
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Ignore the drunken Shamen behind the curtain.
Your (not) embarassing me Chuki!

Z..

Edit: Chuk, your the bestest. I miss grinding you for buffs.

Last edited by Zolmaz Zo'Boto; 04-03-2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:41 AM   #19
Gerick

zol you need to get some air, just because someone doesnt praise bush doesnt mean we can not be a republican, and it doesnt mean we ARE liberals, maybe you didnt pay attention to much in your youth, or in your current life to the way people slant things but my point is this.

zolmaz, eather your just making my type it out or you cant put 2 and 2 togeather

"What massive spending package? Congress passes spending, not Bush.
President Bush can only veto after the "package" passes through Congress."

no shit, kerry is in congress, bush can present spending bills for them to vote on and pick apart, bush used his vote agenst the ENTIRE package as a weapon in his campain

its like saying we want to devote 2 million to feeding kids in some other country and then having part 2 of the same bill be "spend 500,000 on dusting the library on capital hill"

it got kicked out because the bill needed changes before it could pass, bush simply took something out of context in an assnine mannor

it was one bill presented as 5, and took a small part out of context to be used to mud sling, it wasnt right at all.

its like having a 3% differance in national incoming, but to make it look like a bigger amount(hence a bigger deal) one could make the increments mesured on the Y smaller, and they could use a ~ cut on the Y to skip a bunch and have a close up on the tip of the graph, this is common practice to over inflant the differance, what the bush campain team did was basically the same with this bill, it was a intentional grandstand and i hope most americans can see thru such simple and basic tricks.

you need to breathe more, get out more, and you need to see that both partys have turned themselves into dirty hookers for the special interest groups and whore out their own principles in order to grab votes, we need a strong leader with uncompremising morals like lincoln had in his day in respect to the issues of the time, we dont need a flip flop spinless person like kerry or bush, they are both scum, they are both related to each other(scum must flock togeather to i guess) and they are both as shady.

i am sad to say they are our canidates, so in closing,

9/11, 9/11, terrorists, god bless.

(party loyalty is a dangerous anda stupid thing, bush and kerry are scum, we need someone with a backbone dead centered in their morals, not centered in their need to finish daddy's war game, or in their botoxed forhead, by saying i hate both of them i KNOW im gona be the most flammed person heh, bring it)

Last edited by Gerick; 04-04-2004 at 10:49 AM.