Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2004, 08:21 AM   #1
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Default Job Numbers

I don't know the exact numbers nationwide, but we are hiring...up from about 300 last time I posted them...up to 390+.

http://mh.recruitsoft.com/servlets/C...uage=en&csNo=3
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:34 AM   #2
Inmountains

Martigan, I work for a small, High Tech Company, less than 500 employees, and we have 20 job openings, everything from Administrative Assistants, to Customer Service Technicians to Programmers. Plus, in our little county of about 40,000 population, there are 4 full pages of Help Wanted ads, from House Keeping to Vice Presidents of banks!!!
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

According to CNN, there were 2 million jobs lost under the Bush administration. Well, of course it's all his fault, as we know the President is responsible for every single thing that goes on in the US . However, the unemployment rate (5.6%) is below the average of the last 30 years.

I also see tons of jobs in the paper and can't understand why you lefties feel the President should create even more jobs for the people who won't take the ones that are currently available. Sure, it would be nice, but it is not the President's responsibility to hand you your dream job.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:11 AM   #4
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Shhh..you guys..don't tell the left...it's would make them cry.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

The Wall Street Journal- a very conservative yet well respected news outlet- writes regularly about the crisis of our jobless recovery. Spin all you want, but that's exactly what we're in. I'm inclined to believe the Journal's take over Les Cons d'E-marr Ltd.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:30 AM   #6
Wildane

And you say WE are slow today?
According to CNN...
You know, you have a pretty extensive vocabulary for someone who doesn't read, Horm.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-30-2004, 09:31 AM   #7
Martigan
Supporter

You know Horm, you're right. My company is just listing jobs to fake people out.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:33 AM   #8
Wildane

Here you go, since I know you'll want sources (even those that have been posted in other threads)

The Bush administration has presided over the loss of more than 2 million jobs in an economy adversely affected by the dot-com bust, a recession and post-9/11 terrorism fears.

However, Bush has highlighted an increase in American productivity, home ownership and an unemployment rate of 5.6 percent -- below the average unemployment rate for the last three decades.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:46 AM   #9
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

So you're saying that because your company has job listings that the most prestigious financial newspaper in the country has it all wrong about the employment situation in the current recovery? Riiight...

And Wildane, I'm not even talking to you here. Did I dispute the numbers you presented? No. I did however show that this is a jobless recovery, and this is supported by news sources ranging from the center-left CNN to the right-wing WSJ.

http://www.careerjournal.com/salaryh...ilsenrath.html
http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/c...ues/ci9-8.html
http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/30/news...ence/index.htm
http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/25/news...less/index.htm (this one includes optimism even )

When any of you become a noted economist I'll put your assessment beside those of the people quoted in these articles. Until then, realize that a scan of the local papers help-wanted ads and the bulletin board at your office is hardly a relevant piece of information given the wealth of data that we have at our hands to get a national picture. Nice try though guys- very grass roots- very homey.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:52 AM   #10
kanibaal
korpse

I make art for a living and it is doing well. The last 3 shows brought in about 25k and plus some top gallery contacts. If art is doing well then the economy isnt that bad. But I will say that some artist arent doing well at all but that is due to their subject matter.

Out with the bad and in with the good is how the economy is these days. all the fluff companies(internet, enron, ect ect) are being brought out into sight so they can be seen for what they are. no more economy built on bullshit. in the long run it will be better than ever unless we see some more terrorist attacks.
kanibaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:11 AM   #11
Trith

in the long run it will be better than ever unless we see some more terrorist attacks.
Which is exactly why this nation can't afford a democrat in the whitehouse.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:28 AM   #12
Wildane

Well, Horm, you didn't exactly specify who you were addressing in your post, other than "Les Cons d'E-marr Ltd", which I can only conclude means everyone that disagrees with you. So, just chalk that one up to a miscommunication on your part.

Now, why don't you explain to me how the unemployment rate is accurately indicative of the number of jobs out there. You think everyone that is unemployed because they can't find a job? Not true. Some folks aren't willing to do everything it takes and would rather live off unemployment than take a job that isn't exactly what they want. Others would rather live off unemployment or welfare than take a job, period. Too many lazy and uncompromising people out there to say that the unemployment rate is solely due to job availability. While jobs are leaving the US, that doesn't mean there aren't any left here.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:06 AM   #13
Scalz

The real issue is not only unemployment, but the combined problem of the loss of jobs to outsourcing to other countries. Here are a few things of note to look over.

http://www.aflcio.org/aboutaflcio/ma...903_amjobs.cfm

also a chart of the types of jobs that we are losing and expected to lose at this rate.

http://www.whosoutsourcing.com/
Scalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:39 AM   #14
Chiteng
Supporter

Even if jobs appeared today, it doesnt excuse Bush's lack of concern over the past 4 years.

It is far far too late. He shoudl have done something at least three years ago.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:41 AM   #15
Martigan
Supporter

Three years ago he was in office a whole two months. Anyway, he did do something about it and that is why we are seeing more jobs these days. You can't just make jobs appear out of nowhere.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:45 AM   #16
Trith

We did do something about it three years ago..we got rid of Bill Clinton..too bad the recession was already in full swing before he left office though. Bush has done an excellent job of heading off what was going to be a massive Clintonomics driven depression.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:00 PM   #17
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Wrong- but again, good try Trith. The recession began in March of 2001: http://www.nber.org/cycles/recessions.html (this is the group that is more or less universally the judge of when recessions start/end). While the Bush reelection machine has done its damndest to get that date pushed back into Clinton's last days, the facts remain as stated in the link. Again: post data supporting your claims or STFU.

Oh- and Wildane I agree with you about unemployment statistics, though not in the way you'd hope. It also fails to account for the underemployed: those who were forced into part-time or underskilled positions after losing their "real" jobs. It also leaves out the long-term unemployed who are no longer eligible to file claims. It most certainly is an imperfect indicator.

This has long been an interesting train of thought by the right: as if the financial analyst (me, in a recent life, for example- here I go again posting real life shit...getting to be a bad pattern >< ) should rush out to work at McDonald's the day he is laid off because it is an available job. That would be a fantastically stupid career move. Instead, I looked, unsuccessfully for months, finally using my fallback career (science) when it became a financial necessity. It's a cute, unrealistic conservative sentiment, but it simply doesn't work that way.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:05 PM   #18
Chiteng
Supporter

Three years ago he was in office a whole two months. Anyway, he did do something about it and that is why we are seeing more jobs these days. You can't just make jobs appear out of nowhere.

All he did is convice people like YOU, that he did something.

Not enough.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Old 03-30-2004, 12:06 PM   #19
Chiteng
Supporter

We did do something about it three years ago..we got rid of Bill Clinton..too bad the recession was already in full swing before he left office though. Bush has done an excellent job of heading off what was going to be a massive Clintonomics driven depression.
Lets see recession equates with massive unemployment?
An interesting assertion. Yes Trith, I understand you wish to blame everything
on a man who isnt in charge of anything.

That isnt good enough. I will blame the person that WAS in charge.
He COULD have done something.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 03-30-2004, 12:14 PM   #20
Wildane

Chiteng, do you honestly believe the economy resets itself everytime a new President is elected? The economy was already headed downhill, and the destruction of the World Trade Center didn't help matters much. Why don't you try something, Chit. Try pushing a car. Not all that difficult, right? Well, try pushing one that's started rolling downhill. You'll be lucky to get it to stop moving, much less get it above and beyond where it started in a relatively short period of time (economic change doesn't happen overnight). Or are you honestly saying that everything was tip-top when Clinton left office?

Old 03-30-2004, 12:15 PM   #21
Chiteng
Supporter

I am honestly saying that Bush did nothing about unemployment.
He didnt give a rats ass.

I judge him on his actions. I dont need to find a scapegoat

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 03-30-2004, 12:19 PM   #22
Wildane

And exactly how do you know he did nothing about unemployment? You got his office bugged?

Wait, I get it! You want the government to control every aspect of corporate America, right? Pfft, silly me...that's a great idea!!!!

Old 03-30-2004, 12:22 PM   #23
Chiteng
Supporter

I will judge for myself how effective he has been at doing something about unemployment. I sure as hell WONT let him off the hook, just because at the end of his first term, maybe some number 'MIGHT' look good.

Where are those 2.6 million jobs he promised us 'if' we would just give him his tax-cut again?

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 03-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #24
Wildane

Where is that promise? I'd like to see where he promised 2.6 million jobs, because that is an incredibly stupid promise to make. But then we all know you never produce any evidence to support your claims, so I'm sure you won't now.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:27 PM   #25
Trith

That isnt good enough. I will blame the person that WAS in charge.
That's an interesting Philosophy Chiteng. So let's see if it works in real practice. Let's say you and I were neighbors, and for 8 years, without your knowledge I was screwing your wife and molesting your daughter. You were oblivious because to you times seemed great. Then all of a sudden..you daughter turns up pregnant and your wife gets a STD...wow..you have a problem on your hands. Meanwhile..I move...and another man moves in next door to you. You find out from your wife and daughter that the neighbor you always trusted and admired was actually fucking you over left and right.

So based on your philosophy..you should now walk next door and kill the man living next to you right? Doesn't matter who it is now..it just matters to you that the "neighbor" did it and must pay...

Sounds stupid doesn't it. And it's exactly what you are trying to say about Clinton and Bush. Clinton fucks the economy with lax accounting practices and bloated artificial job creation through the .com years and you simply blame..."president"...

That's a very fuxxord sense of logic if you ask me.