Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #201
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
A bar, restaurant, sports stadium, etc... is a Public Place BECAUSE the Public is invited to come in and spend their money
Wrong. a bar is not owned by the government..at least I've never known Federal or State governments to be in the business of making drinks. Bars are privately owned..privately operated businesses..and if you go to one, you agree to abide by its rules and requirements when you walk in, or you can be forced to leave no questions asked. Hell..management can refuse to serve you and kick you out for no reason at all if they choose and you have zero recourse.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:44 AM   #202
Inmountains

Trith, buy a bar/restaurant and put up a sign that says, "NO BLACKS ALLOWED" and see what happens!!!!

On the other hand, Augusta National says, "No Women Allowed" and not a thing can be done about it.

See the difference!!
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:56 AM   #203
Inmountains

OK, for all you STUPID people out there who don't understand the words, "PUBLIC PLACE", here is an article from PHILIP MORRIS:

Public Place Smoking

Reasonable Ways to Minimize Secondhand Smoke

Public health officials have concluded that secondhand smoke from cigarettes causes disease, including lung cancer and heart disease, in non-smoking adults, as well as causes conditions in children such as asthma, respiratory infections, cough, wheeze, otitis media (middle ear infection) and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. In addition, public health officials have concluded that secondhand smoke can exacerbate adult asthma and cause eye, throat and nasal irritation. Secondhand smoke, also known as environmental tobacco smoke or ETS, is a combination of the smoke coming from the lit end of a cigarette plus the smoke exhaled by a person smoking.

The public should be guided by the conclusions of public health officials regarding the health effects of secondhand smoke in deciding whether to be in places where secondhand smoke is present, or if they are smokers, when and where to smoke around others. Particular care should be exercised where children are concerned, and adults should avoid smoking around them.

Philip Morris USA believes that the conclusions of public health officials concerning environmental tobacco smoke are sufficient to warrant measures that regulate smoking in public places. We also believe that where smoking is permitted, the government should require the posting of warning notices that communicate public health officials' conclusions that secondhand smoke causes disease in non-smokers.

We also think that where smoking is permitted, the smoking policy should be clearly communicated. The public can then choose whether or not to frequent places where smoking is permitted. In places where smoking is permitted, business owners should have some flexibility in deciding how best to address the preferences of non-smokers and smokers.

If a business owner decides to accommodate both non-smokers and smokers, we believe that non-smokers should be able to enjoy those places without being bothered by smoke drift or odor, and at the same time adults who choose to smoke should be able to enjoy comfortable and pleasant places in which to smoke.

Business owners who choose to accommodate smoking should reduce secondhand smoke through designating separate areas or separate rooms for non-smokers and smokers and through the use of high-quality ventilation systems to minimize smoke in the air. While not shown to address the health effects of secondhand smoke, ventilation can help improve the air quality of an establishment by reducing the sight and smell of smoke and by controlling smoke drift. At its most basic definition, ventilation is the dilution of unwanted indoor air constituents (such as smoke or odors) with fresh outdoor air.

http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/pressroom/topics/public/
Business owners who 'invite' the general public in to transact business are considered a "PUBLIC PLACE". Wow you guys are DENSE!!!

I have another question for you smokers out there!!!

What part of LUNG CANCER do you NOT understand??
Old 04-07-2004, 10:58 AM   #204
Flub Man
Here's to you liberals!!!

IM, you are loosing your grasp on reality. In every bar I have ever been there is a sign at the door that usually says some along the lines of 'We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone for Any Reason'.

Try putting that sign on a PUBLIC piece of property.

"Starkville is the Indian word for Trailer Park."
~ Skip Bertman

'I was just wrong. Flub you are correct.'
~bumble
Flub Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:22 AM   #205
Inmountains

No Flub, I am not losing my grip on reality. I just read articles, and I know what the term "public place" is, with regards to smoking. And since not only does Local, State and Federal Government agencies agree with me, so does Philip Morris as shown in my previous post, I am RIGHT. There are "Public Lands", "Public Places", "Private Land" and "Private Places." There are "Public Lands" that NO ONE is allowed access to. There is "Private Land" that EVERYONE is allowed access to.

And to the other poster, I guess you are correct. You are MORE dead if you get hit by a MACK truck than if you die of Lung Cancer! Wow, what an insight. Let me put it another way. If someone is shot and killed, murder was committed. What if someone injected someone else with the AIDS virus and they die in 5 years? Is that still murder? So whether I kill myself today with a gun or poison myself over a period of time, that is still suicide!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 11:26 AM   #206
Trith

Trith, buy a bar/restaurant and put up a sign that says, "NO BLACKS ALLOWED" and see what happens
I don't have to put up a sign. I could just refuse service to every black person who enters. That's within the rights of the storeowner. Now...would I stay open long? Hell no heh..but private businesses, unless regulated by federal or state laws IE Real Estate..can refuse service at any time to any one no questions asked.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:28 AM   #207
Trith

What if someone injected someone else with the AIDS virus and they die in 5 years? Is that still murder? So whether I kill myself today with a gun or poison myself over a period of time, that is still suicide!!!
Except that you only have to inject AIDS once for it to kill you. You will need to sit right beside a smoker every day, 10 times a day, for 30 years to have a chance at developing lung cancer from the second hand smoke. You're likely to get more carcinogens grilling in your back yard.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:29 AM   #208
Flub Man

No, local/state/federal laws do not agree with you. Here in Louisiana, bars are PRIVATE PROPERTY. The owner of the land is in charge of it, NO THE CITY/STATE/FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. EVERYONE does not have access to a bar. Because a bar owner can, 'RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE FOR ANY REASON'.

~ Skip Bertman

~bumble
Old 04-07-2004, 11:37 AM   #209
Trith

Flub nailed it.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #210
Inmountains

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3578267.stm

This is Ireland, but it deals with "Smoking in Public Places!" aka bars, restaurants and other enclosed workplaces.
Flub, "EVERYONE does not have access to a bar. Because a bar owner can, 'RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE FOR ANY REASON'"

Flub, a business owner may post a sign that says that, but court precedence has shown that it is highly unenforcable. I have had several city business licenses that state I will NOT deny service on the basis of sex, race, religion, yada, yada, yada. There are also numerous State and Federal laws that say I cannot discriminate or I will face fines or even worse, a felony count.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:10 PM   #211
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Here is a tip for you non smoking sensitive men, go to the bar then go home and fuck your brains out.

fucking prevents cancer yo
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/04/07....ap/index.html

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Contrary to some research, frequent sexual activity does not increase the risk of developing prostate cancer and might even reduce the danger, a study of nearly 30,000 men found.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:19 PM   #212
Flub Man

Ireland is NOT here.
A bar owner can make someone leave because they don't like their shirt, the way they talk, because they are too drunk, because they just want them to. A reason DOES NOT have to be given.

~ Skip Bertman

~bumble
Old 04-07-2004, 12:20 PM   #213
Inmountains

Chuk, I am not sure I understand your post. I don't smoke and I do not have sex. I am just on a Crusade to ban smoking through out the world!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:24 PM   #214
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Why do you want to ban smoking? its quite safe when done in moderation, its relaxing and this is just me but women look sexy with a cigarette in their hand.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:30 PM   #215
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Heh, saw that article this morning too Chuk. Of course the unspoken assumption is that masturbation suffices too.

Friction on the weenie, either way you get it.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:31 PM   #216
Inmountains

It was a joke Chuk!!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:54 PM   #217
Gerick

Trith has it right, as long as the owner says nothing raciest, ageist, or sexist he may kick your ass out, he can allow you to smoke or not smoke and there is fuck all you may do, bars are private in the united states numbnuts, just because someone can fuck a sheep in some other part of the world, or beat their wifes because they dont use their vales, dont mean it happens all over the world, the same goes for law
Gerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:29 PM   #218
TyriaEM

Send a message via AIM to TyriaEM Send a message via MSN to TyriaEM
very few actually go "wow man I really love smoking, Im glad I started
Found something I had been looking for a while for. Here ya go.

Originally Posted by Dennis Leary
Yeah, we tried to be nice to you non-smokers. We tried. But you just fucking badger us, you know? You won't leave us alone! You got all your little speeches you're always giving to us. All these little facts that you dig out of a newspaper or pamphlet and you store that little nugget in your little fucking head, and we light up and you spew 'em out at us, don't ya? I love these little facts. "Well you know. Smoking takes ten years off your life." Well it's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair kidney dialysis fucking years. You can have those years! We don't want 'em, alright!?
Because we tried to be nice to you non-smokers. We fucking tried. Okay? You wanted your own sections in the restaurants. We gave you that, huh. But that wasn't enough for you. Then you wanted the airplanes. We gave you the whole God damn plane! You happy now? You own the fucking plane! I'd like an explanation about that one folks because I will guarantee you if the plane is going down, the first announcement you're gonna hear is, "Folks, this is your Captain speaking. Look, uhm, light 'em up, 'cause we're going down, okay. I got a carton of Camels non-filters, I'll see you on the ground. Take it easy."
Love Dennis Leary. And yes, I'm a smoker too. But I don't litter the highways/roads with butts. Ashtray full? I dump it in a trash can. And I'm pretty sure all smokers understand the lung cancer.

Transcript from Dennis Leary's No Cure for Cancer
Old 04-07-2004, 03:43 PM   #219
Trith

Heh, saw that article this morning too Chuk. Of course the unspoken assumption is that masturbation suffices too.
My prostate is Arnold friggin Swarzeneggar then..
Old 04-08-2004, 07:36 AM   #220
Kerryn

Love that some people are saying It's my bar, it's a private place the government can't tell me what to do in my own property

The government has the right to stop you serving alcohol right? It's going to really funny to see your bar in 20 years time.

No beer, no customers, but a bar full of cigarette machines.

I have to say I'm not against smokers or smoking, but I think it should be properly segregated but I never expected to see a ban on it in our lifetime because of the revenue it brings in. On the back of the announcement in Ireland the Scottish are also trying to ban all smoking in public.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:42 AM   #221
Flub Man

Actually Kerryn, here in Louisiana the government would have to show cause as to not issue or revoke a liquor license. Even then the bar could still serve alcohol. They just could not sell it. And there are even ways around that. Cover Charge anyone?

~ Skip Bertman

~bumble
Old 04-08-2004, 07:53 AM   #222
Kerryn

Flub...you seem to believe you are above the law because you own a bar. You don't. If the government enforced a ban on smoking and you refused to accede to it, they would run you out of business and their is not one thing you could do.

Why do you think you are above the law?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:54 AM   #223
Flub Man

When did I say I was above the law?

~ Skip Bertman

~bumble
Old 04-08-2004, 08:24 AM   #224
Kerryn

It's the impression I get of you when you speak of your private property and how if they stopped your liquor licence you'd circumvent the need for one.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:30 AM   #225
Flub Man

I think private property should be protected from the government. After all, the government makes it's money of the taxes I pay. I don't believe the government should be in the business of telling bars owners whether or not people can smoke in a privately owned business.

As for me circumventing the law, all I would be trying to do is stay in business. Beats the alternative of closing the doors and losing my business.

~ Skip Bertman

~bumble