Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
Sarrin Kanth

Send a message via AIM to Sarrin Kanth
Default Should U.N. coalition troops be deployed in Israel?

Yes or No?
Sarrin Kanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:49 PM   #2
Veo

Naaa.... let them fight it out without us for once. Once a few hundred thousand people get nuked, they'll figure out that they're being stupid and stop the bickering...
Veo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:08 PM   #3
Lurikeen
Freaky

I think we should send in "McDonald's Jihad"; with enough supersized meals Israelis will be to obese to fight and will want to make peace.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
Nuzum

by U.N. troops you mean U.S troops, HA, i knew it U.N. has no teeth without us.

FUCK THEM.

"Kitties are the Dion warwicks of the shaman world"
Nuzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

The UN is fucking useless, its just a placebo so the worthless nations around the world get to feel important. without Daddy America at the table they prety much got their dicks in the wind.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:45 PM   #6
Ramesses Elliscer

Send a message via Yahoo to Ramesses Elliscer
U.N. troops-yes/U.S. troops-NO

Not sure we can afford another military campaign right now, and sending U.S. troops into Israel IMO would be seen as nothing more than direct backing of Israel's policies and a direct hand in the "oppression" of the Palestinians.

Fighting terrorism or oppressing the Palestinians, take your pick and call it as you see it, but either way I don't think it too wise for us to be directly involved. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Ramesses Elliscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:13 PM   #7
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Israel would never let it happen. The UN hates Israel.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:14 PM   #8
gojirra monk

Israel was created by the UN, and hasn't really had any use for them since. Israel has always welcomed the Palestinians to coexist peacefully with them, an idea not shared with the local ruling Arabs, who apparently would rather their countries remain full of ignorant fuckheads.

Israel is the only country in the region that I would consider "successful" by any reasonable standard.

They don't need or want US or UN troops (the IDF hires mercenaries as needed). They are quite able (and probably willing) to whup the asses of any (and likely all) the other countries in the area if necessary.
gojirra monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:22 PM   #9
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Israel is the only country in the region that I would consider "successful" by any reasonable standard.

They don't need or want US or UN troops (the IDF hires mercenaries as needed). They are quite able (and probably willing) to whup the asses of any (and likely all) the other countries in the area if necessary.
I guess the 100 billion in aid we sent over there along with F15 Tomcats also helped some, eh?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:09 PM   #10
ShardmoonVer.1

Perhaps the question should have been should the UN send troops into the occupied territories. Israel certainly isnt asking for help in defending their own borders (outside of financial assistance).
Old 03-23-2004, 12:25 AM   #11
Usna

What difference would it make? As it stands Israel is in violation of countless UN resolutions and continues to shove two fingers up to the rest of the world because they know they have "Daddy America" backing them up. They can do whatever the fuck they want and America will still back them up and make sure any serious sanctions against them are vetoed.
Usna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:04 AM   #12
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Martigan
Israel would never let it happen. The UN hates Israel.
Who are the UN again?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:51 AM   #13
gojirra monk

Originally Posted by chukzombi
I guess the 100 billion in aid we sent over there along with F15 Tomcats also helped some, eh?

Unless this is number is of rectal origin, I want you to name your source.

For some odd reason the CIA only thinks that Isreal gets about $720 million in aid. Also note that the GDP of Israel was $117 billion in 2002.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:20 AM   #14
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

First source I found: http://www.wrmea.com/backissues/010201/0101015.html

Cumulative aid since WW2 is slightly under 100 billion. I imagine that's what he meant.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:47 AM   #15
Felessan

No.

I am in the military. Im also quite aware of the capabilities of the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces). They are perfectly able to take care of themselves. I admire alot of what they have been able to do, and at the same time Ive disagreed with some of their policies.

What it comes down to...they are a sovereign nation, with Nuclear cpability, who have demonstrated time and again they will defend what is theirs. Anyone who stands in their way be damned.

I vote we stay out of it. The problem is we have assistance treaties in place, so the US is obligated to help out under certain circumstances. Just have to wait and see what happens now. One thing is for sure...any hope for a cease fire, is now down the toilet.

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:30 AM   #16
Ghie
G-Sharp

Location: Bounce around the country but have a tether in Nebraska
Yes,
For exactly the same reasons Felessan says no.

The Palestinians need the UNs Protection against the dominating occupation of their lands and the destruction of their homes simply because some third cousin got stupid and took an extremist mindset. (ie set their mind scattered across a few blocks).

Both sides in the israeli-palestinian conflict habitually go to extremes and show no signs of coming back to their senses.

I think we should take israel back from the Jews and have them start over again since they fucked it all up with the last chance they were given in 1948. Give em the same thing we gave em in 1948 and a clear message that if they fuck it up this time, we are not going to stand behind them and play bully for them.
Ghie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:00 PM   #17
Usna

Fel

"What it comes down to...they are a sovereign nation, with Nuclear cpability, who have demonstrated time and again they will defend what is theirs. Anyone who stands in their way be damned."

In a lot of cases they are not defending what is theirs, but what they took by force and refuse, despite myriad UN sanctions, to give up.

Current figures show that fatalities due to the conflict in the region are divided in the ratio 3:1 (Palestinians: Isrealis). Granted a lot of those are either Palestinian extremists or Israeli military, but on both sides the civilian losses make up a significant proportion of the dead. While the suicide bombers show no discrimination in who they kill, the Israelis are not adverse to killing civilians, foreign aid workes and journalists. Neither are they too careful of not taking potshots at UN peacekeepers (as they have shown in the Lebanon).
Usna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:43 PM   #18
gojirra monk

Originally Posted by Ghie
Yes,
For exactly the same reasons Felessan says no.

The Palestinians need the UNs Protection against the dominating occupation of their lands and the destruction of their homes simply because some third cousin got stupid and took an extremist mindset. (ie set their mind scattered across a few blocks).

Both sides in the israeli-palestinian conflict habitually go to extremes and show no signs of coming back to their senses.

I think we should take israel back from the Jews and have them start over again since they fucked it all up with the last chance they were given in 1948. Give em the same thing we gave em in 1948 and a clear message that if they fuck it up this time, we are not going to stand behind them and play bully for them.

Ghie, what the hell are you talking about?