Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2004, 07:18 AM   #26
bumbleroot

The TRUTH of the matter is that this person was fired and USAToday retracted these stories. TEll me where they were untruthful or pushing an agenda? Because I can not see that.
You are wrongly implying that the actions of a few rogues make up the entire body of work. That is truly ridiculous. And I can find examples on this board from many cons stating that to be the case with rogue soldiers. (Don't criticize the American soldier because of some dumbass soldier). Let's stick to one standard. USAToday admitted this to be wrong, corrected the errors and has owned up to the inaccuracies. How is that conspiratorial?
Next time apply your logic when you mention a conspiracy, because there just isn't one. If you want a conspiracy look up Richard Mellon Scaife. That ought to tell you of a propagated agenda.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:37 AM   #27
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Kiebler
You are doing it again Bumble, personalizing an opposing viewpoint and using insults and name calling to reinforce your point. I am suprised you claim to be part of the media, because frankly, you lack any sense of perspective at all when some one disagrees with you.
Reading through the postings and caught another Shardmoon/Kiebler "gem". Kiebler, do you realize how retarded you come across when you chastise a person for flaming and then your very next sentence is a flame?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:42 AM   #28
Lurikeen
Freaky

Oh, and with regard to the topic of this thread...

There is no use in debating why we went to Iraq. There is no reason to debate, a year after the fact, that there is WMD in the desert. The evidence has always been "there" and by Novemeber it will be made much clearer for everyone to see.

Bush better be praying he don't get reelected. If he does, he will have to face the music over his war on Iraq. It won't be pretty.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:24 AM   #29
ShardmoonVer.1

Suggesting a person lacks any sense of perspective is a flame? I think you are stretching the definition of the word to be, well, I am not sure if clever is the word, but its close enough.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #30
Lurikeen
Freaky

Oh, I see, Shard. Your writing to someone who disagrees with you that they "lack any sense of perspective at all" isn't a flame, just so long as it is you doing the *cough* personal analysis.

BTW, one doesn't need to use vulgarity to flame another.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:28 AM   #31
Alauradana

BTW, one doesn't need to use vulgarity to flame another.

Awfully rich coming from you heh Luri?
Alauradana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:38 AM   #32
Lurikeen
Freaky

I have never pretended to be "hollier than thou", Alaurandana. I don't see anything wrong with flaming. I don't mind pointing out to the "hollier than thou" crowd their hypocrisy when it is so blatant.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:23 PM   #33
ShardmoonVer.1

Actually, my comment wasnt directed at Bumble because he disagreed with me. It was in response to his habit of screaming in peoples face any time they posted a dissenting view. If you will note, I hadnt posted on this thread up until that point.

So how can Bumble be disagreeing with me if I never spoke in the first place?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #34
Inmountains

"I have never pretended to be "hollier than thou", Alaurandana. I don't see anything wrong with flaming. I don't mind pointing out to the "hollier than thou" crowd their hypocrisy when it is so blatant."

Well, we are "holier than thou", so what!?!?!? You want proof? I have NEVER done a "controlled substance" in my life! I have NEVER cheated on my spouse! As my ex wife used to tell me, "You could never cheat on me because you just don't know HOW to lie!", which is true, I don't know how to lie. No, I AM NOT PERFECT, far from it, but to be 'holier than thou' Luri, all I have to do is wake up!!!

And we don't mind pointing out stupidity when it is so obvious!!! It is all taught in "Bush Bashing 101", taught to the ignorant masses!!!
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #35
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Inmoutains
I have NEVER done a "controlled substance" in my life!
I find that hard to believe given your latest installment.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:14 PM   #36
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
To answer your question, Bumbleroot...

I am a supervisor in a police agency in a busy city. I deal directly with the press every time we have something happen - a homicide, a robbery, any major incident that they consider newsworthy. I speak with the reporters. I release official department press releases to them. I know what they say. I see what's printed. In some cases, I've written or said what's been released.

Then I'll go read it in the paper or see it in the news, and see where it's been misquoted. Our actual words taken and used, but rearranged or omitted in some cases. It doesn't always happen, but it does happen.

I actually had a conversation with a reporter once who wanted information on a story. I told him that we didn't have any new information to report. He asked a question and said he'd like to put the answer that question in his 5AM blurb. I told him that I didn't have enough information to answer his question, and his response was, "Wouldn't you want to answer this question so that we're sure I that the statements I make in my broadcast are true?" My jaw hit the floor. "You are reponsible for the integrity of your broadcasts. If the information isn't available and you report your assumption, that's your business." He actually didn't see a problem with that.

We also had a newspaper reporter in our area get fired. One of the things that led to his firing was that he impersonated a priest to sneak into a hospital ward and investigate a story. He also got in trouble where he worked for fabricating stories, and the "powers that be" where he works decided that he was no longer allowed to publish a story without getting 2 or more sources that would confirm each quote or fact. He worked for a very large, very popular, widely distributed newspaper.

In a more recent case, we were looking for a vehicle that was involved in a homicide. Someone called 911 reporting that they'd seen a vehicle matching the description of the one we were looking for. Patrol officers were dispatched over the radio to look for this vehicle, and find out if it was, in fact, the one we were looking for. Someone from a local station heard this on the scanner, and reported it in the evening news, saying that we'd found the vehicle. We didn't actually find the vehicle for another 2-3 days afterwards.

Do I believe that every reporter maligns facts? No. Do I know that it's at least possible that facts could get misinterpreted? Yes. You make a blanket statement that no reporter anywhere would ever do that, and the fact is that you can't possibly know that. You can't possibly vouch for every single reporter on the planet, and say that that has never been done, or isn't currently being done.

The fact that you took what I said and jumped headfirst into a rant that was completely factless only supports my point. You, as a reporter, had zero facts about me as a person, but because I didn't support your particular view, I was wrong, and you were more than happy to publish that. Can you not see where another "media person" elsewhere could do the same thing to someone who didn't support their particular view?
Old 03-22-2004, 09:53 PM   #37
gojirra monk

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/119/1

Ahh. Our hard working media. Paragons of integrity and honesty.
gojirra monk is offline   Reply With Quote