Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
Lurikeen
Freaky

Default First Anniversary of blowing up Iraq!

/CHEER!!!!

*chugs beer*

*dances*

It is the first anniversary of attacking Iraq! What have we accomplished?

1) Iraqis have been liberated from Saddam. Not at all a bad thing.
2) Iraq's economy still stinks.
3) They have worse unemployment than ever.
4) Their oil infrastructure has been sold off to the highest foreign bidders.
5) They don't have a freely elected democratic government.
6) They now suffer terrorist attacks on a daily basis.
7) They still have partial water and electricity supplies.
8) They still don't have all the medical care they need.

The US has had a full year to scour the country side and hasn't found a single WMD. They didn't find active WMD programs. Yet, we found a dictator hiding in a hole in the ground! /cheer!

Oh, but the oil is now flowing almost to pre-war levels!!

GO, GO, BUSH's OIL LEAGUE!!!

Happy aniversary Iraq!
Old 03-19-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Iraq was blown up?
Old 03-19-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Maximus Faticus

Wow Luri, that has to be one of the most narrow minded posts I've ever seen you post. I think you won the Cynical prize of the month.
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
Lurikeen
Freaky

Yeah, I like that cliche "narrow minded" criticism. It is really meaningful. No really it is.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:55 AM   #5
Maximus Faticus

"narrow minded" cynicism is more acurate.

Maybe you should use it for your title
Old 03-20-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
Siilverain
The Wind Caller

Send a message via AIM to Siilverain Send a message via Yahoo to Siilverain
Patience is a virtue.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:04 PM   #7
gojirra monk

Well, we have found mass graves, that's always a start.

They are still digging Migs out of the desert, where they were buried.

Some random yellowcake was found by a metal recycler scrapping stuff shipped in from Iraq. The chances of that being a coincidence are pretty low, and there is probably a lot not yet found and even more never to be found.

We have in the somewhat recent past intercepted equipment for Uranium enrichment that was being smuggled into the country. I don't think we could have stopped it all, so more might turn up some day.

Not that it matters either way.

My plan for jumpstarting a free government in Iraq is very simple. Slap down a copy of the Bill of Rights, tell everyone that they have a year or two to implement a government that respects those rights, and if they don't we'll be back to kick all their asses again. After that, until the deadline, our only help would be on specific request.
gojirra monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
Siafore

Luri,

It would be intresting to note in history how long, on the average, it takes to rebuild a country after it has been destroyed. (Or blown up as you have said).

For instance take Germany after WW II you should read some of the articles posted during that time or reconstruction. They sound like they were just written yesterday by a news reporter. In fact, I think I read somewhere that it was not until 1952 before they could even form a government...however I read that paper a long time ago doing research so don't quote me on that one..

The same for Japan...what was their status after 1 year????

What about Bosnia? Kosovo...etc....1 year later????

Siafore
Siafore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #9
Caelie123

And we still have soldiers stationed in Japan and Germany! I'm sure Lurikeen will say that's different though.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:30 PM   #10
Ulujain

It is different Caelie; the US isn't involved in an active occupation of either Japan or Germany. Both have to do with post-WW2 treaties.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #11
Caelie123

Exactly and there will probably be a Post-Iraq War treaty of some sorts.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:22 PM   #12
Inmountains

Lurikeen is not narrow minded. You have to have a mind to be narrow minded!!

Hmmm, Iraq is blown up? Maybe I missed that part. Iraq is more stable now, and on the mend. You don't turn a country around on a dime. It takes time, effort, money and PATIENCE. Many 'western' government concepts are not known to the east, and so there is a learning curve. People need to know WHAT the choices are before they can make a well informed choice.

Luri, when was the last time you actually saw the sunshine any way??
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:49 AM   #13
Naenyen

Well guys you can't really fault Lurikeen for his opinion ( even thou it is hardly correct). The media doesn't help with the situation in Iraq. I have been in Baghdad for about two months now. All I have seen on the news is this building was mortared, this building was rocketed, and this many soldiers were injured. What pisses me off is that the media doesn't show the soldiers opening schools and hospitals for the Iraqi people. They only show negative scences depiting soldiers getting bombed and Iraqi's protesting.

The media is giving power to the people who do not want the U.S. in Iraq. The main resistance is the few remnents of the baath party and mercenaries hired to attack soldiers.

The media doesn;t show the Iraqi people signing their declartion of independence. They don't show them helping to rebuild their country. They don't show the us soldiers helping to train the Iraqi police. The Iraqi people are in a state of change right now and as Siafore said it will take more than ONE year to rebuild this country.

If it was legal to smack stupid people I'd be on trial for murder.

<Quote from Lurikeen> Looks like the National Merit Scholar just got owned by Naenyen.
Naenyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:20 AM   #14
Naenyen

O also I missed the WMD. I will tell lurikeen this yet again. There was no WMD Bush acted on the information he had at the time. Next time I guess you would rather him wait until they blow somthing the fuck up. Get over it he told you what he knew. He was wrong even thou he is the president he is still a man capable of making mistakes.

You do see us being in Iraq as a mistake right? Because we only found mass graves where he killed his own people by the thousands. I mean we only liberated a country from a leader who paid thousands of dollars to have AK-47's gold plated, but wouldn't give that money to the starving people of Iraq. I mean comon the last time we were in Iraq it was because SH had only invaded another country to take it over so he could take control of their oil fields. You see it isn't like SH has done anything wrong. It isn't like there were other reasons he needed to be taken out of power.

Look at the last guy who killed thousands of his own people and invaded other countries. Hitler wasn't that bad of a guy was he? We should've just left him alone also right.

SH isn't Hitler, but he did some of the same things. So why did he stay in power as long as he did??? I don't know, but since there was no WMD here we shoulda just pulled all the troops back home and waited for him to actully blow somthing up until we did somthing right luri? I mean it isn't like you can build a bomb in a day.

IMHO you need to stop terrorism before it can get started.IF he had a bomb I would venture to "guess" SH would not have hesitated to use it.

If it was legal to smack stupid people I'd be on trial for murder.

<Quote from Lurikeen> Looks like the National Merit Scholar just got owned by Naenyen.
Naenyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:59 AM   #15
Alauradana

The whole thing that is really stupid about all these claims that we shouldn't have gone into Iraq is that after WWII, America and almost all the civilized countries in the world signed a pact stating they would never stand by idly and let a country commit the atrocities that Germany did during WWII (Holocaust).

So genocide was going on in Kosovo and that was acceptable to go in and stop that I mean hell, we go in there because that is the right thing to do, but when that happens in Iraq, that is not the right thing to do? It is our responsibility as a world leader to intervene in situations like that. We spent many years with our heads in the sand under Clinton who mistakenly believed that we just need to worry ourselves about issues on our own soil and that is how Al Queda managed to grow unchecked all these years. If you are a world power, you need to be aware and monitor what is going on around the world. Peace and minding your own business our nice ideas, but they don't work in a world where half the countries are still behind the times. If they don't believe in peace, love and happiness they aren't going to sit down and play nicely with us.

WMD was ONE of the reasons we said we were going in there. Saddam violated many of the UN policies and if the policies are never enforced, what good are they? What good is telling a country not to do something when they know it will never be enforced against them? Libya apparently decided not to go against the nuclear treaty AFTER we attacked Iraq, so apparently taking out Saddam did more good than just saving the lives of alot of innocent Iraqis.
Alauradana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:17 PM   #16
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

I get a kick out of how the news spends a large percentage of their newscast on reporting 1 soldier and a few iraqis killed when hundreds of americans are murdered in the US every day. A few iraqis get killed and its reported in dramatic fashion but how much time is spent on those americans murdered on our soil? 0%?

They keep showing the number of US troops killed in Iraq like its the worst US casualty loss. 600 US troops so far, im watching the history channel and just in the battle of Iwo Jima, 6000-7000 US soldiers lost their lives trying to take that island just so they could build a runway for B17s to refuel. 600 US troops killed is terrible but in the overview of what was acheived in just 1 year that loss is negligable.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:44 PM   #17
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Chuk the Clueless
I get a kick out of how the news spends a large percentage of their newscast on reporting 1 soldier and a few iraqis killed when hundreds of americans are murdered in the US every day. A few iraqis get killed and its reported in dramatic fashion but how much time is spent on those americans murdered on our soil? 0%?
You must've been laid up in the psych ward when those kids in Florida were murdered, or that girl in North Dakota was abducted and murdered, or the sniper killings in Maryland and Virginia and Ohio.

They got more coverage than some anonymous Iraqi getting blown to bits, and even more coverage in the mainstream US press than 800,000 people being murdered in Rwanda and Burundi did.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:04 AM   #18
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
See, the thing is, so many people believe that anybody who is against the war is just a pacifistic narrow-minded fool who doesn't understand what was happening in Iraq.

Most of us don't harbor such reservations. Even Luri said it:
1) Iraqis have been liberated from Saddam. Not at all a bad thing.
False Pretenses

I would have been in favor of the removal of Saddam. The problem is, the war wasn't presented that way. It was presented as an off-shoot of the war on terror and a campaign to remove WMD's that still don't seem to exist, which basically sums up to a giant pile of steaming B.S.

Go into the country, remove the dictator, help rebuild the country, and leave it at that. Don't waste my money on trying to find something that doesn't exist. The government is writing checks that the nation can't cash. Don't even try to tell me that this isn't a problem.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:28 AM   #19
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Iraq will be recieving the bill, don't ya know? War might be stupid but it's not crazy.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:38 AM   #20
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
And it all could have been done better without Bush in the office, and Kerry is our God, Lord, and Savior!

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:51 AM   #21
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Siilverrain
Patience is a virtue.
Is that right? I guess Bush could have exercised some patience and kept after OBL rather than mire our troops down in Iraq. He could have been patient enough to build a coalition through the UN Security Council. Now, it is a year later and we haven't found a single shred of evidence that Saddam had the WMD Bush said he had, and we have had more soldiers die in the desert since the end of "major hostilities" were declared, and you ask for patience?

Originally Posted by Naenyen
All I have seen on the news is this building was mortared, this building was rocketed, and this many soldiers were injured. What pisses me off is that the media doesn't show the soldiers opening schools and hospitals for the Iraqi people. They only show negative scences depiting soldiers getting bombed and Iraqi's protesting.

Weren't the buildings mortared? Weren't the soldiers killed, or injured? Naenyen, most people I talk with have a gut feeling that the war in Iraq is not at all justified. So, at the end of the day, opening schools in Iraq, or any other altruistic acts will not make the bad go away.

BTW, you are incorrect about the Media. During this entire one year anniversary of the attack on Iraq, CNN ran a special on the war showing the good things soldiers were doing and some other real positives. I am sure the FOX network has also been running "positive" press.

Originally Posted by Naenyen
I don't know, but since there was no WMD here we shoulda just pulled all the troops back home and waited for him to actully blow somthing up until we did somthing right luri?
Yes, that is correct. Bush should have had the patience to build a coalition through the UN security council. We had Saddam contained militarily and economically. He wasn't a threat to anyone outside his own country.

What is interesting is that you c0ns want to come off so sincerely concerned for the people of Iraq. Well, what about the humanitarian crisis going on right now in Africa? Were are you c0ns calling for 80 billion dollars to reconstruct the Congo? Were are your outcries over the thousands killed in ethnic cleansings in Africa? Were are your demands to remove ruthless warlords from African states that make Saddam look like a saint?

Spare me the hypocrisy that the US is in Iraq because we are trying to make the world a safer place.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:19 AM   #22
Maximus Faticus

He wasn't a threat to anyone outside his own country.
We weren't sure how much of a threat he really was. We were afraid he was going to give WMD to terrorists, which in turn use them against us.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:11 AM   #23
Lurikeen
Freaky

You mean, give WMD technology to North Korea and Iran like Pakistan's leading nuclear scientist did?

If we are going to run around and preempitvely attack nations out of fear that they may give away WMD, then there are countries far more deserving a military invasion than Iraq ever was. So, I can't see your point as being believable.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:49 PM   #24
Maximus Faticus

Because we couldn't get the support to attack those other countries.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:18 PM   #25
gojirra monk

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
BTW, you are incorrect about the Media. During this entire one year anniversary of the attack on Iraq, CNN ran a special on the war showing the good things soldiers were doing and some other real positives. I am sure the FOX network has also been running "positive" press.
Wow! A whole fucking day? Balance in action.

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
What is interesting is that you c0ns want to come off so sincerely concerned for the people of Iraq. Well, what about the humanitarian crisis going on right now in Africa? Were are you c0ns calling for 80 billion dollars to reconstruct the Congo? Were are your outcries over the thousands killed in ethnic cleansings in Africa? Were are your demands to remove ruthless warlords from African states that make Saddam look like a saint?
Which humanitarian crisis in Africa are you talking about? Last time I checked, the whole continent was a "humanitarian crisis" in action.

What the hell are cOns?
gojirra monk is offline   Reply With Quote