Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default Ways to show you're a fighter, go on vacation?

Timing of Kerry Vacation May Hurt Campaign

Friday, March 19, 2004

KETCHUM, Idaho — As John Kerry (search) was snowboarding down Idaho's Bald Mountain, the Bush-Cheney campaign was racing headlong in challenging the Democrat's credentials, a contrast that raised questions about the timing of the presumptive presidential nominee's vacation.

President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney (search) and senior administration officials have been challenging Kerry's claims of support from foreign leaders while the campaign has criticized the four-term Massachusetts senator's votes on defense and foreign policy. The campaign also has unleashed ads casting Kerry as a waffler and weak on military issues.

The timing is critical as voters' image of the Democrat is evolving. Kerry's break from the public stage is allowing his rival to fill the void and draw a picture.

"This is probably one of the worst times because we're right in the middle of the struggle to define him," said Norm Ornstein of the American Enterprise Institute (search).

After a grueling primary race that dates to last year, Kerry was spending six days with his wife, Teresa Heinz, at a family home in Sun Valley with no public events planned. Skiing and reading were on the schedule, with the possibility that Kerry would step out to respond to criticism if warranted.

Kerry left it to campaign aides to answer Bush's latest ads on Thursday.

Advisers to the Democrat argue that the break is long overdue, with Kerry in need of some rest and relaxation. The tired candidate has been prone to off-the-cuff remarks that have proved problematic, including comments last week that his Republican critics were "crooked" and "lying." Kerry also was criticized for saying foreign leaders prefer his candidacy and then declining to identify them.

"This guy has been wide-open, nonstop for months," said veteran Democratic consultant Dane Strother, who noted that an exhausted candidate is a dangerous candidate. "You leave yourself open to the possibility of making a major gaffe. You've got to recharge at some point."

Consultant Jenny Backus conceded that this is an important stage of the race, but argued that the crucial stretch will come in the fall as swing voters begin to tune in.

"It is March," she said. "We have a long time to go. The most important phase is to close strong."

Campaign aides said that while Kerry was taking a break, the staff was putting together an aggressive strategy to highlight the differences with Bush. Also on tap next week is a major Democratic fund-raiser in Washington with former Presidents Clinton and Carter.

Throughout the primary, Kerry's core message to Democratic voters was that he had the best shot at defeating Bush, and with many Democrats hungry for a win, it worked. Now Kerry must develop a general election theme that can sway swing voters likely to decide the election. Bush's theme is he's a wartime president and the country can't afford to switch leaders in a time of crisis,

"We will lay out a series of speeches on what John Kerry can do," spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said. She said Kerry planned a major speech on the economy, and would seek to renew the debate over health care and criticize the record deficits Bush is amassing.

"We will put out a detailed budget sometime in the future that will show how to get back on track," Cutter said.

Ornstein said Kerry is certain to take a battering, and it might make sense to get some rest out of the way quickly.

"The problem is, there's not a good time to vacation," Ornstein said.
Im sure the usual peanut gallery here will claim Bush took vacations during crucial times too, the kicker is how much hate they spewed when Bush does it and think its quite ok for Kerry to do the same thing. Kerry will have plenty of time to goof off and go back to nature with all the groovy people after he loses the election in November.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:51 PM   #2
Cerulean

Send a message via ICQ to Cerulean
While I agree that it is poor timing for Kerry to take a vacation I can't put it even in the same stratosphere as Bush taking a vacation.

Kerry taking a vacation now simply hurts his appearance and crimps his evolving public identity.

Bush taking a vacation in the middle of national turmoil is an amazing disregard for the role and responsibility that is vested in the Presidency.
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Bush taking a vacation in the middle of national turmoil is an amazing disregard for the role and responsibility that is vested in the Presidency.
I don't see a problem with either one. Vacations are a necessity, especially for someone with a lot of responsabilities. When Bush takes his vacations, I'm sure he's not "getting away from it all". He has advisors with him I'm sure. As for Kerry, he just wrapped up the Dem thingy...I don't see a problem with him relaxing for a few.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
Lurikeen
Freaky

Yeah, kinda weird how that a President has much more responsibilities than a Presidential candidate.

Of course, Chukstromboli would never be guilty of trying to compare apples with oranges.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
Festivus

Chulk, what's the source for that article? Just curious...

no images!
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:35 PM   #6
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Woops , sorry festivus, i usually link sources, good catch
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,114633,00.html
Thats an Ap story, i read it on AOL news as well.

Yaah luriqueen taking a vacation right after running for president and trying to win confidence from your potential voters isnt nearly as important as taking a vacation after getting elected as president. ill give you a 4 on a spin doctor scale of 10 numbnuts.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:26 PM   #7
Lurikeen
Freaky

The only numbnut on the boards is you, Spanky. You have about as much ability for logical reason as that bannana you stuff up your ass in order to feed your mouth.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:56 AM   #8
Caelie123

They both took vacations. I'm sure Bush's phone was ringing off the hook and I can only imagine that Kerry is still conducting campaign business.

We used to go on vacation and my husband still had to attend conference calls and make calls to clients if they left a voice message or e-mail raising hell about something. Not everybody gets to go on vacation and leave their cell phones or lap tops behind.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:33 AM   #9
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Chukzo
Woops , sorry festivus, i usually link sources, good catch
More like you cut and paste all 34 pages. Taking fair comment to an extreme.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:21 AM   #10
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
As long as they're not gone forever, and they're responsible about making sure business is still being taken care of in the meantime, I don't have a problem with them taking periodic breaks. If it helps them come back stronger and sharper and more capable of doing their job effectively, I'm all for it. Isn't that sort of the point of vacations, anyway?

The news coverage that I've seen of Bush's vacations have always stipulated that he's taking calls and attending briefings and that he's staying on top of things. In my opinion, more power to him. The same applies for Kerry.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:05 AM   #11
Nuzum

Bush does go to his ranch, but its always a working vacation. World leaders come and see him on his ranch its more of a business philosophy get them relaxed to be more amenable.

What bothers me is kerry's lack of disclosing if he holds foreign assets. Its already been discovered that he sold his villa in italy just before primaries. What is he really trying to hide.

"Kitties are the Dion warwicks of the shaman world"
Nuzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 07:34 AM   #12
bumbleroot

That's stupid- many people hold foreign assets. You are advocating entire protectionism. That is just plain stupid!!!
Kerry doesn't own any companies himself. He has no say or controlling interest in anything other than his campaign and his governmental work. He doesn;t outsource jobs nor has any means of doing so. Investing or owning foreign companies or stocks doesn't result in any loss of American jobs in any shape, means or form, it just keeps the company secure where they are presently at. What the real question is, is if Kerry has any knowledgeable strength in any stocks that outsource jobs, like Cheney does with Halliburton.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 07:53 AM   #13
Maximus Faticus

I think when you run for any kind of office you have to disclose all assets
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote