Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2004, 12:02 PM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default 'High-value' al Qaeda target may be surrounded in Pakistan

Musharraf: 'High-value' al Qaeda target may be surrounded in Pakistan
Heavy air assault expected at sunrise
Thursday, March 18, 2004 Posted: 3:39 PM EST (2039 GMT)

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- Pakistani forces have surrounded what may be a "high-value" al Qaeda target in Pakistan near the border with Afghanistan, President Pervez Musharraf told CNN.

"We feel that there may be a high-value target," Musharraf told CNN. "I can't say who."

Two Pakistani government sources told CNN that intelligence indicates the surrounded figure is Ayman al-Zawahiri, al Qaeda's number two leader.

Pakistani forces are waiting until sunrise to launch a heavy air assault to prevent any members of the al Qaeda group from escaping, sources told CNN.

More than 200 al Qaeda fighters are trying to prevent al-Zawahiri's capture, the sources said.

Musharraf said the ferociousness of the surrounded fighters indicates that they are protecting someone particularly significant.

The "pitched battle" has already claimed the lives of some Pakistani forces, he said. The fighters, believed to be with al Qaeda, are holed up in "mud forts," he said.

One U.S. official who is in touch with Pakistani officials about the situation told CNN that Pakistani forces are "fighting like hell."

The military asked locals to leave and is flying helicopters overhead, "pounding" the area with artillery, he said.

U.S. and Pakistani officials have said they believe bin Laden probably is in Pakistan near the border with Afghanistan.

Word of the standoff comes after Pakistan announced it has launched a fresh offensive against suspected militants near the Afghan border.

Hundreds of Pakistani troops backed by heavy artillery and helicopter gunships raided homes in the nation's tribal region of South Waziristan, two days after a fierce assault in the same area left dozens dead.

On Tuesday, at least 39 people were killed in a raid on suspected Taliban and al Qaeda militants in a fortress-like compound in Kaloosha, close to the border.

Fifteen soldiers died, while Pakistani forces killed 24 suspects, most of them foreign fighters, military officials said. (Full story)

Intelligence officers are also questioning 18 people captured during the raids.

In retaliation, angry tribesmen torched more than a dozen military vehicles -- some loaded with ammunition -- on Tuesday and Wednesday.

'Finish the terrorists'
Pakistani Information Minister Shiekh Rashid Ahmed told CNN on Thursday that "for the first time in the history, Pakistani forces have entered there to finish the terrorists."

"We are committed against terrorism and we have to pay the price," he said.

Pakistan forces have launched a number of sweeps for "suspected foreign terrorists" along the border after Afghan and U.S. officials complained they were escaping to sanctuaries in Pakistan.

About 70,000 Pakistan troops are in the tribal regions and the recent offensive coincides with a major U.S. military operation on the other side of the border in Afghanistan to capture terror suspects.

Though a spring offensive across southern and eastern Afghanistan, called Operation "Mountain Storm", is yet to be officially launched, U.S. military operations there have been stepped up.
This looks very encouraging.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
kanibaal
korpse

but it is only happening because it is an election year.
kanibaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
Alauradana

Gee that's weird, I was under the impression that our troops were there since after 9/11, haven't seen the report where we just sent them over there this year DOH!
Alauradana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
Nuzum

wow, any progress that could be done was held off till an election year. HOLY SHIT the economy is in the crapper (5.6 unemployment now, 5.5 when ol' billy was going for reelection bit its the worst its ever been don't mind the double digits of the late 70's). But its an election year damn it.

"Kitties are the Dion warwicks of the shaman world"
Nuzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
Lurikeen
Freaky

This is Bush's "High-value target".
Old 03-18-2004, 01:13 PM   #6
Inmountains

Nah Luri, even though it cons "scowls", it is still GREEN to BUSH!!!
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:16 PM   #7
ShardmoonVer.1

I guess this story explains this one http://www.erollisimarr.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19817 a bit better. We agreed to arm them to the teeth in exchange for some real cooperation. India is probably a bit itchy over the arrangement, but I dont see much they can do about it.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
bumbleroot

Yep- THIS IS TO ALL YOU CONS---
Mr. "Strong on Defense" President opted to arm Pakistani warlods to fight Al Qaeda. Instead of using strong American military force. John Kerry went to the floor of the Senate and protested vehemently against that saying that this would only delay our mission. This was Bush's tough distraction against Al Qaeda.
Now in an election year he decides to go full throttle against Al Qaeda. Why not three years ago?
John Kerry stood on the Senate Floor back when this happened demanding that we not sell ourselves short while fighting our true enemy Al Qaeda. This was long before the election and long before it was even a possibility that he would run. It is proving now that he like all of us other Libs was right once again. Just recently Bush decided to change tactics and not rely upon the warlords to fight Al Qaeda but upon us and the Pakistani army.

Now I ask you-- Who is tough on defense and who does the right things?
It is Kerry- Bush hasn't got a fucking clue what he is doing at all. His actions are only to fight guerilla tactics with conventional warfare. His actions of stopping terrorism has widened it. We are in greater peril of terrorism because of his actions than we were the day after 9/11.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:25 PM   #9
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Bumbleroot wrote:
"We are in greater peril of terrorism because of his actions than we were the day after 9/11."
Not forgetting that after USA, Bali and Spain bombings come Australia and England home territory down the shit list. Australia went on the Al Quaeda shit list when we took the Timor role, so nuthin personal. Pelt the crows who sit on paddock fences watching chicken thievin' foxes come and go "..there can be no middle ground".

*insert obscure political fringe slogan here*

N.B.
India and Pakistan are both members of the British Commonwealth, and hate each other, true. With their intrigues and history, down the track anything that gave Pakistan a superior military capability to wage war (against India) is not going to produce a great friendship in the two. Pakistan doesn't need arming to the teeth, it didn't need the A-bomb either: this is bad diplomacy.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)

Last edited by Misty; 03-18-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:46 PM   #10
kanibaal
korpse

You get on the Al-Quaeda shit list by being non muslim and/or a western country. It is jihad, nobody is safe. Backing out of the fight is like befriending a shark so that you can be eaten last.

To beat the terrorist we have to be as devoted to the cause as they are... and they are willing to die for their cause.

Last edited by kanibaal; 03-18-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:20 PM   #11
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Haha looks like gullible Bumblefool has picked another hero. how long before you disassociate yourself from that one after he self destructs?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:14 AM   #12
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Serge
You get on the Al-Quaeda shit list by being non muslim and/or a western country.
Iraq, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt are on that shit list. All Islamic, 3 out of 4 Arab. Egyptians aren''t Arabs.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:56 AM   #13
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Does anyone even read Bumbleroot's posts anymore..or just stop like I do when I see the poster name?
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:31 AM   #14
Caelie123

Trith I stop reading after headers like
Originally Posted by Bumbleroot
Yep- THIS IS TO ALL YOU CONS---
You know where it's going after that. Sooooo predictable.

I was wondering this morning. The House voted to up the bounty money for OBL. Wonder how Kerry voted on that?

I agree with you Chuk, Kerry will definately self destruct, it's just a matter of when?
Old 03-19-2004, 05:44 AM   #15
bumbleroot

Does anyone even read Bumbleroot's posts anymore..or just stop like I do when I see the poster name?
Trith you have yet to PROVE ONE SINGLE THING. Us libs have been right from day one about this shit and it always proves out. If you opened your fucking ears and eyes instead of locking your jaws onto Bush's dick perhaps you might wake up and realize that you guys are fighting the wrong war at the wrong time. Iraq is not the war dumbass- Al Qaeda should be- and I got news for you- its not a conventional war.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:15 AM   #16
kanibaal
korpse

Ulujain, some of those countries feed Al-Quaeda cash and/or recruits, will be awhile till they are a prime target like the USA, Austrailia, England ect ect. I dont know if you had a hidden meaning to your post, so Im sorry if I sounded like captain obvious.

Bumbler, shuddap.