Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #1
Lurikeen
Freaky

Default Homophobia

Tennessee county wants to ban gays

Thursday, March 18, 2004 Posted: 7:29 AM EST (1229 GMT)

DAYTON, Tennessee (AP) -- The county that was the site of the Scopes "Monkey Trial" over the teaching of evolution is asking lawmakers to amend state law so the county can charge homosexuals with crimes against nature.

The Rhea County commissioners approved the request 8-0 Tuesday.

Commissioner J.C. Fugate, who introduced the measure, also asked the county attorney to find a way to enact an ordinance banning homosexuals from living in the county.

"We need to keep them out of here," Fugate said.

The vote was denounced by Matt Nevels, president of the Chattanooga chapter of Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.

"That is the most farfetched idea put forth by any kind of public official," Nevels said. "I'm outraged."

Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Texas' sodomy laws as a violation of adults' privacy.

Rhea County is one of the most conservative counties in Tennessee. It holds an annual festival commemorating the 1925 trial at which John T. Scopes was convicted of teaching evolution. The verdict was thrown out on a technicality. The trial became the subject of the play and movie "Inherit the Wind."

In 2002, a federal judge ruled unconstitutional the teaching of a Bible class in the public schools.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/....ap/index.html
Do I even have to share my opinion? I think most of you know where I stand on this sort of issue.

BTW, looks like Trith, Rheaton, and Caelie may have found a new place to live, if they don't live there already.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Can I just drop the napalm on Rhea county now or do I need to apply for a permit?

If only a good suicide cult would gain local favor there....
Old 03-18-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
crimsonedge

Wow Horm you are so compasionate and a total hypocrit. People stand up for what they believe in and you want to bomb them. You're just as bad as these people in your hate of anyone that disagrees with what you believe.

All I can say is at least they are trying LEGAL methods to get what they want, unlike most pro gay areas in this country.
crimsonedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
Caelie123

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
BTW, looks like Trith, Rheaton, and Caelie may have found a new place to live, if they don't live there already.
Nah, I don't need to move Lurikeen. The county I live in is very conservative. If we have gays around here (which I'm sure we do) they live by the "don't ask don't tell" policy. I guess it just makes their life easier. I dunno, but it works for me.

I live in Georgia remember. Bush don't even have to campaign here
Old 03-18-2004, 11:24 AM   #5
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
I live around and work with homosexual folks. I live in Northern California.

I have a few friends that are homosexual. I belong to a poetry club with one of them, and talk with him a lot about work issues...especially how he hates his job.

I am also a conservative. Though I don't believe homosexuality is a healthy or proper lifestyle, that is their business I don't have to answer for someone else's choices. Though I believe they can do what they want sexually, I don't want my kids learning in the schools that it is an acceptable lifestyle that is ok to pursue. I don't mind the kids learning the evils of racism, but when it comes to sexual orientations, stay out of my kids' heads.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:44 AM   #6
Lurikeen
Freaky

Not picking on you Martigan, but I wonder. If given the chance to support a vote banning homosexuals from living in your county, would you? Anyone else can answer that question, too.

My answer is obviously, no.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Hormadrune
Can I just drop the napalm on Rhea county now or do I need to apply for a permit?

If only a good suicide cult would gain local favor there....
Homodrune makes Al Queada proud.

Last edited by chukzombi; 03-18-2004 at 12:07 PM.
chukzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
kanibaal
korpse

no.
kanibaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:02 PM   #9
Ghie
G-Sharp

Location: Bounce around the country but have a tether in Nebraska
Just some self-rightous hillybilly trying to make national news.

Any such law would be instakicked based on constitutionality.
Ghie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:10 PM   #10
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Crimsonedge
Wow Horm you are so compasionate and a total hypocrit. People stand up for what they believe in and you want to bomb them. You're just as bad as these people in your hate of anyone that disagrees with what you believe.

All I can say is at least they are trying LEGAL methods to get what they want, unlike most pro gay areas in this country.
First of all: You lose at life.

Secondly, these fucksticks are trying to **OUTLAW** an entire demographic from their county. Pardon me if I don't see it as intellectual exercise in the process of law but rather a group of redneck hatemongers showing yet again the hopeless ignorance of Rhea County.

Thirdly, I don't really want to bomb them. I want to choke them out, one by one with my bare hands. I want to feel their death rattle and watch the life drain from their eyes as I calmly explain to them the horrific errors of their ways

Oh, and if you missed the oh-so-subtle subtlety and tongue-in-cheek nature of both this and the last post, then I beg of you to change your board handle to Butterknife.

It's ok, you'll get it later.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:11 PM   #11
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Don't worry Chuk- I'm coming for New Jersey next. Only nuking Jersey would be fairly redundant I fear...
Old 03-18-2004, 12:16 PM   #12
Muertissimo

Send a message via AIM to Muertissimo
My apartment is unfortunately located right behind a male "bath house" . My father had his El Camino (he's the northern version of a redneck ) parked out front and found a used condom thrown in the bed.

Now I could care less about what gay people do when not around me, but I wouldn't be sad to see this place burn to the ground. Freekin thing is open like 24-7 too, as it's what known as a "bottle club". Meaning, they don't sell booze however you can bring your own and keep it on ice there. The bartenders will also bring their own alcohol and give it to you long as you tip them.

Now I'm a pretty big guy, but I still get a tinge of nervousness when I walk to 7-11 in the middle of the night. I mean, they might be gay and all but they're still guys. Several hours of drinking and popping rolls or whatever, and they might think I look kind of cute walkin by I laugh when I see a movie portraying homosexuals as these light hearted, care free, wouldn't hurt a fly, dancing in flamboyant costumes in some club somewhere type fruitcakes. Most you wouldn't even know were gay until you see them holding hands/kissing another guy.

Ok, where am I going with this? Fuck if I know. I have no problems with homosexuality, but that club sucks. Guess that's what I'm tryin to say
Greylords EQ2 too!
Retired member of
Midnight Fury (r.i.p.)

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse. And his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him."--Revelation 6:8
"Your greatest creation, is the life you lead."
Muertissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:25 PM   #13
Lurikeen
Freaky

...but that club sucks.
Would you care to clarify what you mean by "sucks"?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:29 PM   #14
Muertissimo

Send a message via AIM to Muertissimo
I'd rather not get that mental image thank you! Crap too late
Greylords EQ2 too!
Retired member of
Midnight Fury (r.i.p.)

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse. And his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him."--Revelation 6:8
"Your greatest creation, is the life you lead."
Muertissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:12 PM   #15
ShardmoonVer.1

What will to they do with any homosexuals they find in the county should the ordinance pass?

March them to the edge of the towm and push them into the next county? Will there be little tent cities springing up on their borders with gay refugees?

Perhaps they can incarcerate (sp?) them and force them into performing labor to repay their debt to society.

Maybe they can isolate and eradicate them from the gene pool all together.

Sounds sort of familiar.

Whats amazing to me is they think they can legislate their own neighbors and family members into being straight or leaving town. Those are some seriously screwed up crackers.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:05 PM   #16
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
If given the chance to support a vote banning homosexuals from living in your county, would you
No I wouldn't. I would vote to keep them from pushing their pro-homosexual agenda in the schools as an acceptable lifestyle...and calling folks homophobes for not agreeing with their lifestyles.

Based off the weak reasons to call someone a homophobe, many of you could be called "Christophobes".
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:08 PM   #17
Cerulean

Send a message via ICQ to Cerulean
Can I join Hormadrune in the fire bombing of Rhea?
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:34 PM   #18
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Based off the weak reasons to call someone a homophobe, many of you could be called "Christophobes".
Not really.

First off, I'd call it "Christianophobes," since I don't have a problem with Jesus himself, rather with how certain people used and still use the mythology of the Bible to control and manipulate.

But there's another big difference: I assume you'd lump me in with your "Christophobes" but I want you to have the same rights as me. Exactly the same rights regardless of your religion, ethnicity, sex, political affiliation or sexual orientation. As long as it does not go against the Constitution (meaning- as long as you don't try to legislate your religion), I am all in favor of your freedom to be Christian. Whereas you are in favor of second-class citizenship for gay people.

So good try with the analogy, but it doesn't really stack up.

I was going to draw the obvious Nazi resemblances but figured I'd be committing one of those message board cardinal sins that regardless of my argument's merit, calling someone a nazi immediately makes me the kook. However, Shardmoon is exactly right to do so as the similarities are crystal clear.

Finally- yes, Cerulean, you can join PPoRC ("People for the Paving of Rhea County"). Artillery fire commences at dawn. Sunday, we lay asphalt.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:36 PM   #19
Lurikeen
Freaky

Oh, come now, Martigan. You have to admit that the people of Rhea country are clearly good examples of what a homophobe is.

As far as the "Christophobe" bit goes, I know I am not a Christophobe. In fact, Christian women, especially fundamentalist women, can give some of the best sex you ever had!
Old 03-18-2004, 02:37 PM   #20
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

They are so tight and taudry- it's true!

Ever had a Mormon?

Yeah, me neither
Old 03-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #21
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Martigan
Based off the weak reasons to call someone a homophobe, many of you could be called "Christophobes"
/raises hand. Card-carrying member.

Fairy-tale-o-phobe would be more accurate.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:38 PM   #22
Misty
Do Not Disturb

/em produces a little black book and annotates his thread count...

Somewhere in another thread, different subject, a dude (ok, it was Aresprophet) raised the notion that religion was analogous to a virus. Here there's a measure of credibility in the mental state of mind of human behaviours being prone to figurative logic routines, much like infected computers function strangely due to nuisance viruses (as distinct from malicious code). The observation has new relevance now because here society is set to legislate on something as abstract as a state of mind.

Homosexuality is arguably not a 'normal' functional state of mental health without a great deal of controversy and debate first. [special emphasis on the redundant nature of this sentence, to illustrate a point]

Rheaton County catalogs an entire category of human behaviour in one group, it goes without saying the US Constitution guarantees the right of its citizens to peacibly assemble... eventually subliminal metaphor shall creep in and generations of political Amendments shall spin the Constitutional straight talk back on itself.

Look what happened to The Holy Bible after it was re-translated by 1 bajillion different monks, gah!
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)

Last edited by Misty; 03-18-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:24 PM   #23
bumbleroot

Just as a sidenote, this county is considering recanting its position on this as of last news.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:00 AM   #24
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Homosexuality = bad lifestyle.
Ban homosexuality = no can do..it's their choice to chase poo
Ban where they can live = are you kidding me? That's something only a democrat could think up..
Ban gay marriage = Yep...because it's against the law.

Move on.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:17 AM   #25
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Trith
Ban where they can live = are you kidding me? That's something only a democrat could think up..
Nice spin, junior. Try getting a brain and think about where Rhea county is and who thought up the idea of banning homosexuals from their county.