Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 11:14 AM   #51
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Ulujain
The USA is *not* a melting pot. It has been described as a salad bowl.
You got that right, and Bush is tossing it's contents!
Old 03-17-2004, 02:26 PM   #52
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Caelie123
Correction Ulujain, Jews are a race as well as a religion. We just had this conversation last week at work with a "Jewish guy".

Although this guy no longer practices the Jewish religion and has converted to a Baptist, he said he will always be a Jew as in the race, he just doesn't practice Judaism anymore.
So Caelie, if you upped and left the US for say, Senegal, and married a Mandinka man, would that make you Mandinka? Would it make you a black African?

The notions that Jews are a race is ridiculous. You can convert to Judaism. Keeping that in mind, how do you convert from one race to another?

Originally Posted by Kanibaal
Ahh well the Greeks have done much much worse... they are to blame for all the unbuttoned shirts to expose the chest hair and cheap gold medallions.
I said Greek, not Lebanese.
Cheers.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:38 PM   #53
Lurikeen
Freaky

Just for Princess Xanax...

Main Entry: Jew
Pronunciation: 'jü
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French gyu, from Latin Judaeus, from Greek Ioudaios, from Hebrew YehudhI, from YehudhAh Judah, Jewish kingdom
1 a : a member of the tribe of Judah b : ISRAELITE
2 : a member of a nation existing in Palestine from the 6th century B.C. to the 1st century A.D.
3 : a person belonging to a continuation through descent or conversion of the ancient Jewish people
4 : one whose religion is Judaism
Note how race isn't in the definition? Compare with...

Main Entry: Cau·ca·sian
Pronunciation: ko-'kA-zh&n, kä- also -'ka-zh&n
Function: adjective
1 : of or relating to the Caucasus or its inhabitants
2 : of, constituting, or characteristic of a race of humankind native to Europe, North Africa, and southwest Asia and classified according to physical features -- used especially in referring to persons of European descent having usually light skin pigmentation
- Caucasian noun
- Cau·ca·soid /'ko-k&-"soid/ adjective or noun
You should edjumedicate your "Jewish friend" turned Baptist that he isn't a Jew.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:49 PM   #54
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
The notions that Jews are a race is ridiculous. You can convert to Judaism. Keeping that in mind, how do you convert from one race to another?
The primary religion of Jews is Judaism. I know a number of Jews who do not practice Judaism, but are Christians. These folks still celebrate many of the traditions that are in Judaism, not as a religious necessity, but just as a tradition. An example would be the Passover. I've done that a few times with hundreds of Christian Jews. They rented a large basketball Gym and we had a Passover celebration with music and dinner.

Even most of those first Christians in the New Testament were Jews, and still referred to themselves as such.

You should edjumedicate your "Jewish friend" turned Baptist that he isn't a Jew.
Being Jewish is less of a race thing, and more of a family thing...yet I do believe them to be a race. Lurikeen, since you are using a dictionary definition, I'll do the same...

Main Entry: race
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, generation, from Old Italian razza
1 : a breeding stock of animals
2 a : a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock b : a class or kind of people unified by community of interests, habits, or characteristics <the English race>
3 a : an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also : a taxonomic category (as a subspecies) representing such a group b : BREED c : a division of mankind possessing traits that are transmissible by descent and sufficient to characterize it as a distinct human type
4 obsolete : inherited temperament or disposition
5 : distinctive flavor, taste, or strength
Look at 2a. Based off that definition, I'd say Jews are a race.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:32 PM   #55
Maximus Faticus

(weakened by negative image of war for the sake of war with iraq)
What the hell kind of crap is that? Do you honestly believe that our military is weaker?
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #56
Lurikeen
Freaky

Yeah, well, Martigan, you should know that most people mean by "race" what is defined in 1 and 3 a, b in the definition.

You are taking liberty to stretch the definition to fit one of your pet peaves.

However, taking 2a into consideration doesn't push your argument through. Did you notice the bit about "belonging to the same stock"? The common meaning for "stock", when referring to animals (including homo sapiens), is a biological distinction, or biological classification. Seeing that anybody can become "Jewish" pretty much destroys the idea that Jews count as a race.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #57
Maximus Faticus

Martigan has a point. I guess race doesn't have to be a skin color.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:11 AM   #58
Ulujain

So you think all Christians are a race Maximus?
Old 03-18-2004, 04:23 AM   #59
Ghie
G-Sharp

Location: Bounce around the country but have a tether in Nebraska
..:: Quote ::..
(weakened by negative image of war for the sake of war with iraq)
..:: End Quote ::..

What the hell kind of crap is that? Do you honestly believe that our military is weaker?
Anytime we have a military action, including a war, which is not both popular and justifiable, we weaken the public image of the military. When we weaken the public image, politicians are less likely to allocate funds. Hence, a weaker military.

It took nearly 10 years to rebuild the military after vietnam led to a publicly supported downsizing of the military. And we really still are not back to an ideal military strength. As the days go on, the war in Iraq becomes less popular as the reasons given to start the war erode further away. A year from now if we still have soldiers dying in Iraq it will be hellishly impossible to garner public support for keeping our soldiers the best trained, best equipped, all out best soldiers in the world.

Even if we succeed in Iraq in bringing about a secular democracy. There are still a large percentage of voters (not quite a majority, though) who don't think the war was justified. (Gallup 29 Feb 2004, 48% justifified, 23% justified only if WMD, 25% not justified)

Military funding is a direct result of popular support for prior military actions. Putting us in an unjustified war with a third world country that was not a threat to the US, has the potential to have repurcussions that will not benefit a strong military.
Ghie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:22 AM   #60
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
So you think all Christians are a race Maximus?
Not all Jews practice Judaism. Many Jews consider themselves so because they are descendants of the same tribe. See the definition mentioning tribe as an indicator of race.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:36 AM   #61
Caelie123

Ulujain and Lurikeen, just passing on the information I was given by someone that was born a Jew.

I told him you thought he needed to get educated and he said no problem. He's used to dealing with people that talk out their ass about things they know nothing about.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:57 AM   #62
Maximus Faticus

I don't know, I think maybe labeling yourself as a race based on a religion is a very old way to label yourself. Now days we're well connected and intermixed that saying a particular faith is a race seems silly.

Like in Martigans example;
2 a : a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock b : a class or kind of people unified by community of interests, habits, or characteristics <the English race>

Now days we wouldn't call it the English race.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:54 AM   #63
Lurikeen
Freaky

Caelie thinks the Klu Klux Klan is a race.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #64
Caelie123

Is that the best you can do Lurikeen? Only you would bring up the KKK which has nothing to do with what we were talking about. Then again, thats what you do when your ass has been had. You realize you are wrong and you insult. We all know thats the nature of Lurikeen and we move on

If Jews aren't a race then I guess African Americans, Asians and Native Americans aren't either. We got the same answer from 3 jews that don't practice Judiasm at all and they all said that "Jew" is a race (one said it's kind of a sub race).

Then again, I'm sure you know more than somebody that was raised a certain way. HaHa you Lurikeen are such a tool!
Old 03-18-2004, 09:12 AM   #65
Ghie
G-Sharp

Location: Bounce around the country but have a tether in Nebraska
Jews are definately a race.

Perhaps not an anthropological race, but definately an ethnic race.

But WASP would also classify as a race under the same criteria.
Ghie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:14 AM   #66
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
The notions that Jews are a race is ridiculous. You can convert to Judaism. Keeping that in mind, how do you convert from one race to another
What's wrong with letting people convert race..you tards on the left are all for letting people pretend to be a different sex with gay "marriage"...
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:33 AM   #67
Ebino

But WASP would also classify as a race under the same criteria.
White? Sure. Anglo-Saxan? Yep. Protestant? Nah.

A lot of people here seem to have trouble differentiating between Jewish as an ethnic group and Jewish as a religous belief. Same word, different meaning (and not usually interchangeable).
Ebino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:35 AM   #68
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Princess Xanax
Then again, thats what you do when your ass has been had.
Oh yeah, you handed my ass to me alright.

Your mind altering drugs are getting better, Princess.

Originally Posted by Mindless drone
You realize you are wrong and you insult.
Caelie, that is simply one of the most worn out excuses for an argument ever to hit these boards. Let me be clear, I fling insults at you whether I am right or wrong. Flinging insults at you is due to my complete and utter disrespect for you. Again, you could be perfectly wrong or right, and I would still toss poo-poo your way. I hope you can appreciate my honesty and sincerity.

Oh, and you are wrong.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:56 AM   #69
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
The issues important to me:

1) Lawn mower emissions standards. Lets see electrics mandated. Or at least hybrids!
3) Prohibition. It worked once. It needs to be brought back
C) Unborn puppy rights. Just because they are in the womb doesnt mean they arent puppies.
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:02 AM   #70
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Ebino
A lot of people here seem to have trouble differentiating between Jewish as an ethnic group and Jewish as a religous belief.
Uh, no. A lot of people confuse the decendants of certain ancient tribes of hill people who lived in the area now known as "Israel" (a political entity) with the religion of some people called "Judaism".

Not all the people who are decendants of those ancient tribespeople practice Judaism. There is no "Jewish Race" just as their is no "Christian Race" or "race of Americans". Although, I understand both California and Texas are trying to get their residents recognized as races.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:47 AM   #71
Ebino

There is no "Jewish Race"
According the the narrow and inflexible definition of "race" that you insist on adhering to in order to justify your position, I suppose that's true.
Ebino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:04 AM   #72
Caelie123

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
Flinging insults at you is due to my complete and utter disrespect for you.
Somehow being disrespected by a liberal is something I take as a compliment .
Old 03-18-2004, 11:26 AM   #73
Evelle

I think proof they are a race is easily proven by if they are genetically more likely to get certain diseases and syndromes. For example African Americans and sickle cell animia. People of Jewish decent and Tay-Sachs and Canavan. Just as Native Americans have predisposition weaknesses to alcohol and its abuse.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:47 AM   #74
Lurikeen
Freaky

Evelle, what race is more susceptible to herpes? Just thought I would ask, since you might know.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:08 PM   #75
kanibaal
korpse

Skinny white people who sit on the internet pretending to know everything are more likely to get herpes. But since it is near impossible for these people to find a romantic partner, it cant be 100% proven.
kanibaal is offline   Reply With Quote