Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default Operation Mountain Storm is a go

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,114125,00.html
U.S. Launches New Afghanistan Operation

Saturday, March 13, 2004

KABUL, Afghanistan — The U.S. military on Saturday announced a sweeping new operation across troubled southern and eastern Afghanistan, with the aim of destroying Al Qaeda and the Taliban and ultimately reeling in Usama bin Laden (search).

The offensive comes as Americans step up their hunt for the Al Qaeda leader and his top deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri (search), who are believed to be hiding out in the border area between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

"We believe this will help bring the heads of the terrorist organizations to justice, by continuing placing pressure on them," said Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty (search), a U.S. military spokesman.

The operation, however, was "about more than one person," he said. Hilferty said American forces were confident they will eventually catch the Al Qaeda leadership as well as Taliban chief Mullah Mohammed Omar, but not necessarily during the new operation.

Hilferty also said U.S. forces are involved in what he described as a "small scale air assault" in southern Afghanistan, but would not give details about the location or the target.

A senior Afghan army commander in southern Kandahar province, Haji Granai, told The Associated Press that U.S. aircraft attacked a pickup truck carrying 12 suspected Taliban in Kandahar province on Thursday, killing them all. Granai said the American planes swooped down on the truck near Sami Ghar in Maruf district, some 160 miles east of Kandahar city. Suspected Taliban militants killed seven Afghan soldiers in a raid on a border post in Maruf on Mar. 3.

The U.S. military had no immediate comment.

The overall operation, dubbed "Mountain Storm," officially began Sunday and was open-ended, Hilferty said. He said the entire 13,500-strong U.S.-led coalition was involved.

While bin Laden's whereabouts have been the subject of intense speculation, there has been no known hard evidence of his location — or even that he is alive — since shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

Hilferty said the operation was in effect a continuation of tactics already being used, such as intensive patrolling, village searches and impromptu checkpoints.

He declined to give specifics, but an Associated Press reporter at the military's main southern base at Kandahar noted what base personnel said was heavier than usual air traffic, with C-130 cargo planes and Chinook helicopters landing through the night.

The base also served a lobster and steak dinner on the eve of the new operation. The army traditionally serves special meals to kick off large offensives.

Lt. Gen. David Barno, the top American commander in Afghanistan, has said his soldiers are engaged in a "hammer-and-anvil" strategy along with Pakistani forces on the other side of the border.

Some 70,000 Pakistani troops have moved into semiautonomous tribal regions to take away maneuver room for Al Qaeda and Taliban fugitives believed to have taken refuge there.

A Feb. 24 operation in Wana, the main town in Pakistan's South Waziristan region, netted 24 suspects, but none were believed to be important al-Qaida operatives.

Pakistan, a key ally in the U.S. war on terrorism, has arrested more than 500 al-Qaida suspects. But Afghans also say they have not done enough to seal the border, and complain that Taliban commanders have been organizing operations from large Pakistani border towns like Quetta and Peshawar.

On Saturday, tribal elders in South Waziristan imposed a 24-hour deadline on a tribe accused of sheltering terrorists to hand over the fugitives or expect an armed force of 600 men to search the area forcibly.

A Pakistani military spokesman, Gen. Shaukat Sultan, would not comment on the new U.S. operation or say whether Pakistani troops were involved in fresh deployments on their side of the border.

Hilferty played down suggestions by defense officials in Washington that the military was embarking on a "spring offensive."

"If it continues past March 21, I assume it will be a spring operation," Hilferty said. "But spring offensive is what they media have been calling for, not us."

The military offensive also is supposed to safeguard landmark Afghan elections slated for June, when U.S.-backed President Hamid Karzai is expected to secure a new term.

More than 140 people have died in violence already this year, underlining security fears ahead of the vote.

Much of the south and east of the country remains off-limits to international aid groups, and local officials complain their forces are unable to deal with the Taliban threat without more help from the Americans and the central government.

Hilferty said the previous two-month U.S. operation, called Blizzard and including 143 raids and searches, had resulted in the death of 22 "enemy combatants." No U.S. soldiers were killed in combat during the period, he said, though a number died in accidents.
I wish them luck, i have a feeling in the next 2 weeks we are gonna hear about Osama's fate one way or the other.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:50 PM   #2
bumbleroot

Gee, why does it take until an election year (3 years after the fact) to launch a real effort to go after the alleged perpetrator? And to think you call Bush tough on terrorism.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 05:44 AM   #3
Nuzum

lets kill us some towelheads. Kill em good i say.

"Kitties are the Dion warwicks of the shaman world"
Nuzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
Siilverain
The Wind Caller

Send a message via AIM to Siilverain Send a message via Yahoo to Siilverain
Bumbleroot:
Gee, why does it take until an election year (3 years after the fact) to launch a real effort to go after the alleged perpetrator? And to think you call Bush tough on terrorism.
Did you "just" decide to start paying attention to the news? Shortly after 9/11 the military has been deployed full-time in an attempt to locate these terrorists. Over the last couple years the US has captured (or killed) several leaders of Al'Queda. This is just another military exercise to hone in on Osama (hopefully the final one - go military!!). Note the use of the word "another"...this would mean there was more than one of these missions.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:58 AM   #5
bumbleroot

Gee Silverain, Who are you and for someone supposedly following the news for a while, you sure just become noticed.
Bush said in early 2002 that it was no longer necessary to capture bin Laden. Now it suddenly is important? How come? Was this another of those "Mission Accomplished" deals? Or is it just politics?

And since you seem to be another nitwit, explain to me how pulling our forces out of Afghanistan and our intellgence out of Afghanistan helps the war on terror? I didn't seem to get that point. What you consider full-time is only a shell of what is needed to accomplish the mission there. Let's ask ourselves what our objective was going in and whether we have achieved that objective. Then ask ourselves why we haven't if we are still there working on that objective.
I have some more news for you. The Democratization of Iraq will not deter terrorism one single bit. The basis and theory behind that has no logic whatsoever. That being said, how is Iraq part of the war on terror?
Old 03-14-2004, 09:56 AM   #6
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

That being said, how is Iraq part of the war on terror?
Iraq was training terrorists

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,84291,00.html
Marines Discover Terror Training Camp Near Baghdad

Wednesday, April 16, 2003

BAGHDAD, Iraq — U.S. forces came upon a recently abandoned terrorist training camp on the outskirts of Baghdad where recruits were apparently taught how to make bombs and what to do if they got captured, the Marines said Wednesday.

The extensive camp consisted of about 20 permanent buildings on 25 acres south of the city and was operated by the Iraqi government and the Palestine Liberation Front, said Marine spokesman Cpl. John Hoellwarth.

Among the documents found were filled-out questionnaires that included such questions as "What type of missions would you like to carry out?" according to Hoellwarth. He said many recruits wanted to carry out suicide missions.

The camp included an obstacle course and what appeared to be a prison, to teach terrorists what to do if captured and interrogated, Hoellwarth said.

Recruits were also apparently taught how to make bombs, he said. The Marines found chemicals, beakers and pipes.

Hoellwarth said uniforms and gas masks were also left behind, along with bread and other food, suggesting the place had been used fairly recently.
Iraq was also harboring terrorists from abroad

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...bbas.arrested/
U.S. captures mastermind of Achille Lauro hijacking
From David Ensor
CNN
Wednesday, April 16, 2003 Posted: 5:10 AM EDT (0910 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Abu Abbas, a convicted Palestinian terrorist who masterminded the 1985 hijacking of the Italian cruise ship Achille Lauro on which a wheelchair-bound American was killed, was captured by U.S. Special Forces in the outskirts of Baghdad, U.S. Central Command said Tuesday.
Iraq and terrorism went hand in hand. Those days are nearing an end just as Osama's days are (if not already).
Old 03-14-2004, 10:03 AM   #7
Maximus Faticus

That being said, how is Iraq part of the war on terror?
Bringing Democracy to the region. I bet that's what the history books will say too.
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 10:17 AM   #8
bumbleroot

Chuk, I believe it was you who stated that Americans were the ones who had Terrorists training over here for 9/11.
You wrongly assume that this implies the Iraqi gov't. sanctioned it. They didn't sanction it any more than the American gov't. did.
So enjoy your Republican spin from Foxnews, because they are not telling you that the Iraqi gov't. didn't sanction those camps.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:59 AM   #9
ShardmoonVer.1

Bumble.... theres a reason most people dont join these dicussions and you are it. Well you and any one else that resorts to abuse and name calling when some one disagrees with what ever point you are trying to make.

Dont bother starting more threads if all you are going to do is attack people when they respond. Attack positions and opinions and statements, but try and show a little class and act at least half your age.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:41 AM   #10
Nuzum

Oppression breeds terrorists period.

Sadaam whether you choose to admit it or not was a breeder of terrorirsts. His population was not given basic freedoms (ie freedom of speech to critize their leaders, open elections, etc....).

Add to that these people unless you were high up in the political structure lived in squalor. They did things out of fear, and contempt, the only news source was used as a tool to breed hate and contempt for the wester world, while keeping them down. They were also fractionlized due to religion.

Only time will tell if we made a difference. But not even giving them the chance would have made things worse. Oh an das for WMD I heard a quote the other day on a TV show that made me laugh my ass off.

WMD we know he had them because Bush sr. sold them to a certain dictator in a middle eastern country.

"Kitties are the Dion warwicks of the shaman world"
Nuzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 01:14 PM   #11
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

I wish them luck, i have a feeling in the next 2 weeks we are gonna hear about Osama's fate one way or the other.
I'll bet ya 5kp on emarr.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:34 PM   #12
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

You wrongly assume that this implies the Iraqi gov't. sanctioned it. They didn't sanction it any more than the American gov't. did.
I didnt assume anything dude. Pay attention son and read slowly.

The extensive camp consisted of about 20 permanent buildings on 25 acres south of the city and was operated by the Iraqi government and the Palestine Liberation Front, said Marine spokesman Cpl. John Hoellwarth.
I really dont know where you get off saying im falsifying news when thats a direct quote from one of the soldiers right there. Saddam was involved in terrorism, thats nothing new.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:02 PM   #13
ShardmoonVer.1

You dont see anything odd about defending Saddams regime? You are filled with so much hate for our current administation that you would choose to defend a blatant mass murderer over the leader of your own country?

Sad times indeed.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:08 PM   #14
Siilverain
The Wind Caller

Bumbleroot:
Gee Silverain, Who are you and for someone supposedly following the news for a while, you sure just become noticed.
Just because I don't typically choose to respond to the drivel I read in this forum doesn't mean I don't pay attention. There is a distinct difference.

Bumbleroot:
Bush said in early 2002 that it was no longer necessary to capture bin Laden. Now it suddenly is important? How come? Was this another of those "Mission Accomplished" deals? Or is it just politics?
Feb 02 http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/02/24/gen...den/index.html
"Obviously, we want to get the al Qaeda leadership; we want to get the Taliban leadership," Gen. Richard Myers told ABC's "This Week." "Bin Laden is part of that leadership, so we'd like to get him, and we will get him. ... I wouldn't call it a prime mission though."
Sept 02 http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/09/06/ar9...den/index.html
"Is he [Osama] critical?" Rumsfeld asked. "He is important. There are plenty of people who -- six, eight, 10, 12 people probably -- who could take over al Qaeda."
Speaking as a grade-A nitwit, I read the above (and several other articles which I didn't link) to say Osama was a prime target, but not the ONLY target. Thus, progress is still progress when other key elements of Al'Queda are being taken care of...Osama is still on the list of people to round up and now it's his turn. Osama is running out of people to hide & protect him. Just the way it works out. Political? Possibly, but not entirely.

Bumbleroot:
I have some more news for you. The Democratization of Iraq will not deter terrorism one single bit. The basis and theory behind that has no logic whatsoever. That being said, how is Iraq part of the war on terror?
Chuk said it best...you'd have to be freaking blind to not see that Iraq was a breeding ground for terrorists.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:03 PM   #15
bumbleroot

Chuk said it best...you'd have to be freaking blind to not see that Iraq was a breeding ground for terrorists.
Wrong-em boyo
Saudi Arabia is the breeding ground. Shiites believe in their religion in different ways than the extreme Muslims do. Baathists are secular and the Kurds are tribal and their only disputes are with the Turks and the Iraqis, so would you care to tell me where the Iraqi terrorists are being bred from?
You obviously are making up some shit that is so far off based its ridiculous. Hussein and Al Qaeda have strong ideological differences, mainly that Hussein is secular and the terrorists are religious.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:05 AM   #16
Siilverain
The Wind Caller

Bumbleroot:
You obviously are making up some shit that is so far off based its ridiculous.
Oct 01 http://www.cnn.com/2001/COMMUNITY/10...oie/index.html
You can demonstrate to the high legal standard of beyond a reasonable doubt, which is used for criminal conviction, that Iraq was behind the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center, by showing that Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind of that bomb, was an Iraqi intelligence agent.
Feb 03 http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/05/spr...nks/index.html
The regime of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein for years has consorted with the al Qaeda terrorist network, often using as a go-between a shadowy figure who set up a training camp in northeast Iraq, Secretary of State Colin Powell said Wednesday...Members of al Qaeda and Iraqi intelligence "have met at least eight times at very senior levels since the early 1990s," Powell said. In 1996, bin Laden met with a senior Iraqi intelligence official in Sudan, and later that year had a meeting with the director of Iraq's intelligence service, he said.

Bin Laden and Hussein work together. The contact between the two was made in the 1990s when bin Laden was based in Sudan. Bin Laden provides the ideology, he recruits the foot soldiers, and he provides a smokescreen. Iraqi intelligence provides the direction and training for the terrorism.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:34 AM   #17
Lurikeen
Freaky

Concerning the Feb 03 article, you missed this bit Siilverain...

Intelligence services disagree whether the camp is actually linked to Saddam's regime.
In fact, several months later USA Today published an article showing that the link of Saddam with al Qaeda was very questionable...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...-alqaeda_x.htm

A United Nations terrorism committee says it has no evidence — other than Secretary of State Colin Powell's assertions in his Feb. 5 U.N. speech — of any ties between al-Qaeda and Iraq.
Notice how the UN terrorism committe states there is no evidence of the links aside from Powell's assertions you refer to?

And U.S. officials say American forces searching in Iraq have found no significant evidence tying Saddam's regime with Osama bin Laden's terrorist network.

"One of the things that concerns me is the continued reference to the war in Iraq as part of the war on terrorism. There's not much evidence to support that linkage," said Sen. Bob Graham of Florida, the top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee and a presidential candidate.
Our troops have found "no significant evidence tying Saddam's regime with Osama bin Laden's terrorist network."
Old 03-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #18
Caelie123

Originally Posted by Shardmoon
You dont see anything odd about defending Saddams regime? You are filled with so much hate for our current administation that you would choose to defend a blatant mass murderer over the leader of your own country?

Sad times indeed.
Shardmoon we have been saying this to the liberals since the war in Iraq began. They fail to see that they are defending Saddams regime and have been since the start. What's really sad is someone can have that much hatred for their own Govt that they defend terrorist. I've been coming to this board for quite awhile and I still don't understand that mindset.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:31 PM   #19
Lurikeen
Freaky

Yeah, well, Caelie and Kiebler obviously don't understand the difference between criticizing one's own government and their policies, and defending terrorists.

So, perhaps this will help you two....

Main Entry: de·fend
Pronunciation: di-'fend
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French defendre, from Latin defendere, from de- + -fendere to strike; akin to Old English guth battle, war, Greek theinein to strike
transitive senses
1 a : to drive danger or attack away from b (1) : to maintain or support in the face of argument or hostile criticism (2) : to prove (as a doctoral thesis) valid by answering questions in an oral exam c : to attempt to prevent an opponent from scoring at <elects to defend the south goal>
There is not a single person who has posted on these boards, to my knowledge, that has defended the actions of Al Qaeda or Saddam Hussein.

I really find the following statement hypocritical given the accusation that Bumble (or anyone who dissents with Bush on Iraq, generally the liberals) is defending terrorists...

Originally Posted by Shardmoon
Well you and any one else that resorts to abuse and name calling when some one disagrees with what ever point you are trying to make.
It is really easy for you numbnuts to call into question someone's patriotism and then cry that you have been flammed. Boo-fucking-hoo!

Last edited by Lurikeen; 03-15-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Lurikeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:34 AM   #20
Ramesses Elliscer

Send a message via Yahoo to Ramesses Elliscer
Default Breaking news....WMD found or not????

As I was performing my duties, in Iraq, for our great nation I came across the much desired WMD. It was actually a blue print of a atomic catapult that was going to be used to hurl dead bodies containing Smalldumbness disease over the Atlantic right into the white house.....

Folks, can we all just get along? regardless of how much you atack one another, how nasty you get and how much stuff you dig up in the old news. None of it really changes that we, the American Servicemen, are here in Iraq and in Afganistan. And we are going to be here until we are told to go home.

So if you really really want to make a change, go out and vote this year, vote for whoever floats your boat.

And thanks both sides for all the support you have given us, believe it or not we do know and it does affect our morale.

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Ramesses Elliscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:00 AM   #21
Caelie123

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
There is not a single person who has posted on these boards, to my knowledge, that has defended the actions of Al Qaeda or Saddam Hussein.
Then what would you call the numerous post that contain "Saddam did not support Terrorism" or how about the post that contain "Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11"

You fail to look beyond the terror he inflicted on his own people. You fail to look beyond the fact that he didn't allow inspectors in for years. You fail to admit that the man supported terrorism which in my mind goes hand in hand with you defending the man (animal). When you come to his defense over and over I would call that defending the Actions. If you think we should sit back and leave the man alone, you are defending and condoning the actions.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:29 AM   #22
Lurikeen
Freaky

Caelie, your beloved Bushiepoo came right out and stated that there is no evidence linking Saddam to 9/11. Following your illogic, Bush has defended Saddam!

As far as anyone posting "Saddam didn't support terrorism", I don't know anyone who posted as much. The issue had always been whether or not he supported Al Qaeda. A big fucking difference, Princess. Lying and saying that Saddam supported Al Qaeda, when he didn't, doesn't make Saddam anymore evil. It just makes those who wish to embrace lies look idiotic. Saddam did enough evil things, we don't need to make shit up to condemn him, tard.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:36 AM   #23
kanibaal
korpse

Saddam was making remote control airplanes to kill Americans with! HE WAS A THREAT!
kanibaal is offline   Reply With Quote