Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2004, 07:39 AM   #26
bumbleroot

The point is......

That if this is going to correct itself it is a market solution, not just a political solution. Invest in companies that employ Americans and those companies grow. Once that happens the companies going overseas will see they are missing stock growth. If the companies wish to survive they will rely upon foreign investments while we prop up the companies staying here.
Politically jobs leaving are impossible to stop. However adding jobs is the political answer to jobs leaving. That is not being done.

Now for those that disagree, I haven't heard a single alternate idea.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:22 AM   #27
Caelie123

Bumbleroot, you're missing the point. The majority of the companies you listed do employ many Americans with companies right here in America. Whoever put this list together is thinking foolishly.
First of all, I can't think of too many people that would pull their stock out of a company here or overseas where the stock is doing well. That's just the selfishness in us.
Second of all, it would be extremely foolish to boycott American companies just because they decide to open some branches overseas. I'm still waiting on an answer as to how Heinz is any different than the majority of the companies on that list. They have companies here in America and companys overseas. What makes Heinz exempt from the list?

Maybe someone could come up with a list of American companies that totally shut down operations in America and moved overseas. Those companies might be appealing to boycott.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:45 AM   #28
Inmountains

Zolmaz, Wildane is correct. As I was reading the posts here and I read Wildane's, I immediately knew he was answering the ORIGINAL poster. It was YOUR post that confused me as it was obvious Wildane was not answering you. As a matter of fact, he was AGREEING with you for the most part.

Zolmaz, you and I agree on many issues, but one thing you need to do, slow down a little, don't be so quick to post, make sure you are answering the subject at hand, and make a clear, concise post. You tend to get defensive quite quickly. Sure, Liberals are stupid, but they think us Conservative's are stupid, thus this entire section of the board. And sometimes, posts from both sides prove the stupidity.

As for boycotting that list, what if some of us actually WORK for one of those companies? What if one of those companies are our customers? What if my parent's retirement fund is invested in one of them? Just way too global to make a list like that. A list I would like to see is any company that is an American company that has MORE jobs overseas than jobs here and has more than 10,000 employees. My company has some programming done in India, but 95 percent of our workforce is here in the US.
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:30 AM   #29
Lurikeen
Freaky

Default Outsourcing is a real issue.

Here is an interesting read on outsourcing... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4493710/

But what is outsourcing?

As a concept it's not new. Companies have chased cheap labor around the globe for decades, making cars in Mexico, plastic toys in Taiwan and shirts in Malaysia.

But in recent years, the effort has crept into higher gear and income brackets, and it shows no signs of slowing down. The latest outcry is fueled by the fact that some service professionals, once insulated from outsourcing, are watching their jobs head overseas during a largely jobless recovery.

It is unclear how many accounting, engineering, technical support and other professional jobs have moved offshore in recent years. But some industry watchers believe as many as 200,000 service jobs could be lost each year for the next 11 years.

That has some American job seekers concerned. But others view it as an opportunity.
Outsourcing is becoming a large issue because it is now touching some of the higher end jobs, not just the so-called lowly manufacturing jobs.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #30
Aackman

NEW REPORT: WHY BUSH SUPPORTS OUTSOURCING

On the eve of his trip to Ohio to "focus on jobs," (1) President Bush claimed yesterday that "we're creating jobs - good, high-paying jobs for the American citizen." (2) His comments come despite the country having lost more than 2 million manufacturing jobs since he was elected. In Ohio, which lost 270,000 manufacturing jobs alone, the economic crisis has raised questions about why the president last month strongly endorsed the outsourcing of U.S. jobs to cheap overseas labor markets. A look at the president's donors offers an answer. (3)

Misleader compared the companies that outsource the most U.S. jobs (referred to as "captive remote services companies" on page 11 of the trade association report noted below) with the president's campaign finance records. (4) The analysis shows that the president's campaign has pocketed more than $440,000 and his party more than $3.6 million in just 4 years. These companies have a direct stake in the president publicly supporting outsourcing and doing everything he can to water down or oppose legislation to curb the practice. (5)

The breakdown of campaign contributions is as follows:

TOP OUTSOURCER: American Express
Contributions directly to the President Bush: $39,000
Soft Money contributions to the Republican Party: $422,405

TOP OUTSOURCER: Bechtel
Contributions directly to President Bush: $10,300
Soft Money contributions to the Republican Party: $465,150

TOP OUTSOURCER: Convergys
Contributions directly to President Bush: $7,500
Soft Money contributions to the Republican Party: $5000

TOP OUTSOURCER: Dell Computer
Hard Money to Bush: $40,250
Soft Money contributions to the Republican Party: $793,550

TOP OUTSOURCER: Delphi Automotive
Contributions directly to President Bush: $10,950

TOP OUTSOURCER: Fidelity
Contributions directly to President Bush: $164,908
Soft Money contributions to the Republican Party: $574,270

TOP OUTSOURCER: Ford
Contributions directly to President Bush: $76,200
Soft Money contributions to the Republican Party: $268,257

TOP OUTSOURCER: General Electric
Contributions directly to President Bush: $49,125
Soft Money contributions to the Republican Party: $756,987

TOP OUTSOURCER: Hewlett Packard
Contributions directly to President Bush: $6,200
Soft Money contributions to the Republican Party: 29,000

TOP OUTSOURCER: HSBC
Soft Money contributions to the Republican Party: $4,240

TOP OUTSOURCER: McKinsey & Co
Contributions directly to President Bush: $19,500
Soft Money contributions to the Republican Party: $102,500

TOP OUTSOURCER: Sallie Mae
Contributions directly to President Bush: $19,250
Soft Money contributions to the Republican Party: $261,000

Sources:
1. "Bush focusing on jobs in Ohio trip", MSNBC, 03/10/2004,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136790&l=21431.
2. "President Commends Recipients of Malcolm Baldridge Awards", 03/09/2004,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136790&l=21432.
3. "Jobs may be focal point in Ohio race", The Sacramento Bee, 03/10/2004,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136790&l=21433.
4. NASSCOM FY02 Results, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136790&l=21434.
5. "Senate pushes ahead with offshore outsourcing legislation",
ComputerWorld, 03/05/2004, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136790&l=21435.
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136790&l=21430
Aackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #31
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

You forgot to add the 2000.00 I contributed to the Bush campaign.

You might not believe this. Ok you won't but I'll tell you anyway.
Those companies also make contributions to the democratic party.
*GAAASP* So Aackman, your post is pointless.

Have a wonderfull and happy day.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Zolmaz.
Zolmaz Zo'Boto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:55 PM   #32
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Lol ackman pulled the biggest propaganda shitball out of his ass.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #33
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Inmountains,
Zolmaz, Wildane is correct. As I was reading the posts here and I read Wildane's, I immediately knew he was answering the ORIGINAL poster. It was YOUR post that confused me as it was obvious Wildane was not answering you. As a matter of fact, he was AGREEING with you for the most part.
You are correct. Sorry Wildane, next time i'll try not be so animated.
*Cheers*

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Zolmaz.
Zolmaz Zo'Boto is offline   Reply With Quote