Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2004, 07:42 AM   #1
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Default /CHEER New York!!!!

New York shows some backbone!

About fucking time someone finally had the guts to say no to this insanity.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
Vireil
Disturbing the force

Odd that you call standing up for discrimination "having backbone". You should be ashamed of yourself.
Vireil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:58 AM   #3
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Hurray for the ignorant and hateful- a proud day for you indeed!!!

Old 03-04-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
Lurikeen
Freaky

Yeah, it takes real guts to be a bigot and take a stand against a very small minority.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
What I'd like to know is... Why this now? Why not 50 years ago? Why not 100?

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
Caelie123

Discrimination huh! Same sex marriage is illegal in the state of New York. If gay couples want it legalized they need to go thru the proper channels. It amazes me these people just show up at the courthouse expecting a marriage license, then get upset when the clerks enforce the laws of the State.
You guys can call it discrimination all you want. As long as same sex marriage is illegal in a particular state, I call it enforcing the law.
I'm with Trith on this one.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:15 AM   #7
Caelie123

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
Yeah, it takes real guts to be a bigot and take a stand against a very small minority.
I dunno about bigotry, but it takes real guts to enforce the law when other states are breaking it.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:26 AM   #8
Vireil
Disturbing the force

Umm Caelie, you need to read The law or policy before you decry that someone is breaking it.

Info about Marriage in New York

If you read carefully, you'll see that there's NO LEGAL RESTRICTION BASED ON GENDER for people wishing to get Married in New York. Here's the exclusions

Originally Posted by New York State Law
Familial Restrictions

A marriage may not take place in New York State between an ancestor and descendant, a brother and sister (full or half blood), an uncle and niece or an aunt and nephew, regardless of whether or not these persons are legitimate or illegitimate offspring.

Previous Marriages

Information regarding previous marriages must be furnished in the application for a marriage license. This includes whether the former spouse or spouses are living, and whether the applicants are divorced and, if so, when, where and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted. A certified copy of the Decree of Divorce or a Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage may be required by the clerk issuing the marriage license.
Nothing about marriage explicitly defined as being between a Man and a Woman. Gays have the right under existing NY law to get married, period... deal with it.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:29 AM   #9
Rheaton

A judge posts the Ten Commandments and is trashed for "breaking the law" or the spirit of the constitution.. Yet they OBEY the law in NY and reject licences to gay couples and now they are discriminatory bigots.

Proving once again that liberals are a cancer to our society and have absolutely no respect for the law except when it favors their jacked-up agenda.

...hopelessly lost and knows it...but at least some are paying taxes
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:29 AM   #10
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

People who perform gay acts dont need to be married, you dont need to marry some dudes hairy ass to be accepted in society. whats next? gay boy scouts? gay churches? gay education in school? gay history month?
Make Rip Taylor and Liberace's birthday a national holiday? where the fuck will this end unless we put a stop to it?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:31 AM   #11
Rheaton

Viral, your an idiot.

The application for a license must be signed by both the bride and groom in the presence of the town or city clerk

BRIDE AND THE GROOM... shall we provide you with a definition of what a BRIDE is and what a GROOM is?

Gah, even Lurik's twists make ya think..
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:36 AM   #12
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Good idea Rheaton

Bride Word: WordStarts withEnds withDefinition

Pronunciation: brīd
Noun 1. bride - a woman who has recently been married
honeymooner, newlywed - someone recently married
war bride - bride of a serviceman during wartime
2. Bride - Irish abbess; a patron saint of Ireland (453-523)
Bridget, Brigid, Saint Bride, Saint Bridget, Saint Brigid, St. Bride, St. Bridget, St. Brigid
abbess, mother superior, prioress - the superior of a group of nuns
saint - a person who has died and has been declared a saint by canonization
3. bride - a woman participant in her own marriage ceremony
wedding party, wedding - a party of people at a wedding
participant - someone who takes part in an activity
Old 03-04-2004, 08:41 AM   #13
Nuzum

mar·riage ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mrj)
n.
The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
The state of being married; wedlock.
A common-law marriage.
A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.
A wedding.
A close union: “the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics” (Lloyd Rose).
Games. The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.

That is the Historical definition of marriage, the legal interpretation has to depend upon this because there is no case law saying that a union between same sex marriages is legal. Read how laws are written before you quote the law.

I'll give you a brief lesson. A law is written into effect, passed through votes in the senate and congress then signed into law by the governer, (or president depending upon what you are talking about). The language of the law initial gets its interpertation from common used and defined words. Now how do you change a law that is the issue here?

Well, you take the issue to court, depending on which jurisdiction it is in it could be a wide range of courts. The first court you go to gives a verdict, That is now the Legal interpretation of the law. The opposing party has the right to appeal such decision all the way up to the supreme court. If a verdict is overturned then the new case becomes the Legal definition of said law.

Okay, now you have a legal definition of a law what happens next? Well say the issue comes up but with differing circumstances, well a court once again is asked to rule upon the law which has been previously defined by a court. Well if a new legal conclusion is written then that becomes the New Legal definition of the law.

This is how laws are used in our country, there is no prior case anywhere in this country that changes the ol' websters dictionary of how a marriage is defined. So until some fudgepacking ass monkey brings this to court and gets a verdict amenable to them, gay marriages are not valid.

"Kitties are the Dion warwicks of the shaman world"
Nuzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:43 AM   #14
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Caelie
I dunno about bigotry, but it takes real guts to enforce the law when other states are breaking it.
I am sure you would have been one of those people saying that blacks should have gone through the legal process to gain civil rights versus civil disobedience. You ever hear of fighting for what is right even if it is illegal?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:43 AM   #15
Vireil
Disturbing the force

Your definition is ambiguous.

someone recently married
So it does say a woman, but in the same statement it also just says "someone".

Now go bugger off cretins!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:47 AM   #16
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
I'm sure there is a minority out there that masturbates to dead chickens too, so why aren't you standing up for their rights?

Just because they are a minority in terms of their sexual choice, doesn't mean they deserve "special" rights.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:53 AM   #17
Abrucx

Eh, I don't get this whole thing. If these people love each other, they should be allowed to marry. Just because they don't have conventional sex doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed, or that they are just some random minority fetish. They are 2 humans that love each other, let them get married and be on their way, christ.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:59 AM   #18
Everclear

Discrimination huh! Same sex marriage is illegal in the state of New York. If gay couples want it legalized they need to go thru the proper channels. It amazes me these people just show up at the courthouse expecting a marriage license, then get upset when the clerks enforce the laws of the State.
You guys can call it discrimination all you want. As long as same sex marriage is illegal in a particular state, I call it enforcing the law

-YEAH! It's not discrimination if it's the LAW! Yeah.. so what if it was illegal for people of different races to marry! It's not discrimination, it's the LAW! Yeah! It must be ok! Sure, anything that is in LAW must be just FINE!

Why don't you just "Baah" like a good little lamb?

I am sure you would enforce some racist law, or some other pathetic law. Well there are some pretty interesting laws out there, I guess you are just fine with all of them, since law must be right. Courts strike down laws because sometimes they conflict with other laws. Advocating blindly enforcing laws is a great position for someone with no understanding of how the law actually works.

Oh.. and I am sure there will be some great response about how... but that kind of discrimination isn't legal anymore!.. Well no crap, because the courts protected their rights. Now it's happening for a different minority. Seriousely, this is why I want to be a lawyer so badly. This is why the legislative process is controlled by a precious few, I can't imagine a country where people like this were allowed to actually participate in legislative creation.
Everclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:00 AM   #19
Everclear

Just because they are a minority in terms of their sexual choice, doesn't mean they deserve "special" rights

-They aren't asking for anything that you don't already expect.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:06 AM   #20
Caelie123

LOL....I can just picture Everclears veins popping out of his/her neck as she/he types.

I see this is a real sensitive issue for you hun.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:06 AM   #21
Ghie
G-Sharp

Location: Bounce around the country but have a tether in Nebraska
Same sex marriage is not illegal in New York State.

I believe there is a law in New York City making it illegal there.

And although only a man and woman can apply for a marriage license, If any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law perform the wedding it is legal whether or not there was a license.

There is no law requiring people to have a license to become married.

There is a law requiring people who can perform weddings to only do so to couples who have a license. But, and here is the kicker, If they perform a wedding without a license, the marriage is still considered valid.

Notice that the article mentions that gay couples were denied a marriage license. No shock there. Until ordered to do so by their boss (the mayor, governor or legislature) I doubt any clerk would risk their job by issuing a license to a non-traditional couple.
Ghie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:06 AM   #22
Trith

They aren't asking for anything that you don't already expect.
Yes they are. They are asking for a state official to pronounce them man and wife and sign their marriage liscence..a liscence that they do not qualify for because they were both born males or females. That's asking for a fucking lot more than they are entitled to. I think I will ask for the United Negro College fund to pay for my education next..hey I know I'm white and all but what the fuck..I should get it just because I want it ya know..
Old 03-04-2004, 09:08 AM   #23
Trith

Hurray for the ignorant and hateful- a proud day for you indeed!!!
It's not about hate little buddy..it's about having at least a basic understanding of the difference between right and wrong.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:10 AM   #24
Vireil
Disturbing the force

Originally Posted by Nuzum
there is no prior case anywhere in this country that changes the ol' websters dictionary of how a marriage is defined. So until some fudgepacking ass monkey brings this to court and gets a verdict amenable to them, gay marriages are not valid.
Nuzum, please get some Charmin and wipe your mouth, you have been talking shit again.

1) Webster's dictionary doesn't define the law.
2) Unless a state specifically prohibits same sex marriages, then it is implicitly allowed. Here in Washington State, marriage is legally defined as "A civil contract between a man and a woman." Hence same sex marriages are illegal, but that does not mean that the law is not subject to challenge on constitutional grounds.

Nice try however.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:12 AM   #25
Everclear

LOL....I can just picture Everclears veins popping out of his/her neck as she/he types.

I see this is a real sensitive issue for you hun.

No... no veins popping out... actually a little strung out on cold meds at the moment, so pretty mellow. You know what makes my veins pop out? Accounting tests... oh yes.. those are bad.