Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2004, 04:53 PM   #1
TumTum

Send a message via AIM to TumTum
Default People going ape shit recently about jesus.

this reminds me of 9/11 nobody cares till it comes crashing down to the ground.

All these non-religious people are starting to "believe" in jesus and other things just because some actor made a movie about it.

I also think its quite dumb when people pretend they are feeling the hand of god and falling down in the theater with his power, take control of yourself and stop giving god credit for the things you have achieved.

bah, what i guess im trying to say is.

Religion is a scam...

YA!
TumTum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
Ulujain

I also think its quite dumb when people pretend they are feeling the hand of god and falling down in the theater with his power, take control of yourself and stop giving god credit for the things you have achieved.
What? You mean you didn't feel the healin' power?
Old 02-29-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
Dotra

i guess he thinks all life came from a single random instant in infinity, and that things with trillions of cells, all working togeather can come up out of a pile of elements like copper, being stuck by lightning, im sorry but what you think sounds just as unlikly
Dotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
i guess he thinks all life came from a single random instant in infinity, and that things with trillions of cells, all working togeather can come up out of a pile of elements like copper, being stuck by lightning, im sorry but what you think sounds just as unlikly
Before you make shit up, maybe you should get a fucking education! Of course that sounds unlikely because that's what nobody says happened.

But yeah, the whole thing is pretty ironic. Reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker: "Jesus is coming, look busy!". Sort of sums up religion to me.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 07:21 PM   #5
Rheaton

Originally Posted by TumTum
Religion is a scam...
Perhaps some religions are a scam...but God and the sacrifice of Christ is not... Give your spirit a chance before you run away into the abyss of logic.
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:09 PM   #6
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Well, when God comes down and takes the punishment of my sins for me, I'll take that sacrifice any day. I know my deeds on this earth could never get me into Heaven. It's up to each person whether to accept this gift or to reject it.

Also, when Jesus came to the earth, it was for the purpose of reconciling man to God...by dying. He came to die.

Again, you can all choose to accept that or reject it. It's a free gift to every one of you...no matter what you have done in the past. There is forgiveness. You can have a new start and a new life.

You owe it to your own soul to open your mind and look into this. It could never hurt to have an open mind.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 09:44 PM   #7
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Well, when God comes down and takes the punishment of my sins for me, I'll take that sacrifice any day. I know my deeds on this earth could never get me into Heaven. It's up to each person whether to accept this gift or to reject it.

Also, when Jesus came to the earth, it was for the purpose of reconciling man to God...by dying. He came to die.

Again, you can all choose to accept that or reject it. It's a free gift to every one of you...no matter what you have done in the past. There is forgiveness. You can have a new start and a new life.
Or you can pull the wool off your eyes and recognize it for the superstitious bullshit it really is.

You owe it to your own soul to open your mind and look into this. It could never hurt to have an open mind.
Try it sometime; as you guessed, it doesn't hurt.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
Old 02-29-2004, 09:58 PM   #8
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Try it sometime; as you guessed, it doesn't hurt.
I did Ares...and here I am. Most non-Christians I know think that believing in Jesus is closed-minded....I say, not considering it is close-minded. Taking the "step of faith" in believing that what you call "superstitious bullshit"...if that's not being open-minded, I don't know what is.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:55 PM   #9
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Rheaton
Perhaps some religions are a scam...but God and the sacrifice of Christ is not... Give your spirit a chance before you run away into the abyss of logic.
Give me some good and valid reasons why the Christian religion is not a scam, yet maybe the ancient Egyptian or Greek religions are? Or any other non-Judaism based ones are?

The answer you'll usually get is: "Because they are pagan/heathen/barbarian."
Old 02-29-2004, 11:45 PM   #10
Dotra

reason i think romans where wrong? the invented a new god each time they see something unexplainable, god of wine and its effects, god of music, god of this, god of that.

i think the Egyptian gods where crap because they made their rulers gods, each new king ment a new god(cept they didnt warship them, but thought they asended to gods)

the bible has proof of its happenings (jesus was alive, the saints and their doings, the burning bush has been found, the shroud<and they found that the carbon dating was off because of the carbon from the box when there was a fire, it altered its carbon 15 level> as well as proof of a great flood, anyhow decent proof is hard to find in Egyptian and greek thoughts, id be happy to get ya links on the proof if you request them)
Old 03-01-2004, 12:04 AM   #11
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
The only truely open-minded answer is "I don't know."

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:38 AM   #12
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Fanon's existentialism aside...

Do I have to take a "leap of faith" to be open minded? No. I can recognize religion for what it really is, and that's it. I'm not close minded if I tell you that your beliefs are no better than superstition, because it's true. You, on the other hand, refuse to take any criticism of your "faith" because there is no way to debate about it. It's either right, or it's wrong, and that's how the world is black and white to you. You refuse to consider the fact that everything we do is not part of some design, but meaningless circumstance. To me, it's glaringly obvious that our sense of self-importance is so hideously bloated that we can't even recognize the truth anymore. Everything revolves around us, and the fact that you beleive some deity who reigns supreme over the universe actually CARES what you do or think or say, is a fine example of how distorted religion is.

I can beat this argument in to the ground and you still will cling to your belief because you refuse to consider the alternatives, despite all evidence that you are, in fact, wrong.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
Old 03-01-2004, 02:49 AM   #13
Dotra

everything has to have a start and an end in the physical realm, the world didnt pop into place in the space of a few million year, hydrogen thru instinium didnt pop up in an instant of luck, explain to me where it all started, we know from physics that everything had to have something happen to start the wheels in motion, following this line of thinking something that doesnt exisist in the physical realms had to start it off
Old 03-01-2004, 04:07 AM   #14
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
My goal is to keep my responses to threads in this forum to 2 lines or less. So far, so good

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:47 AM   #15
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Dotra
everything has to have a start and an end in the physical realm
No, it doesn't. Beginnings and ends are human concepts.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:59 AM   #16
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

I'm not close minded if I tell you that your beliefs are no better than superstition, because it's true.
You are the epitomy of close-mindedness. You refuse to believe in what can't be explained logically. Guess that means you don't believe in women either .
You refuse to consider the fact that everything we do is not part of some design, but meaningless circumstance.
How do you know for sure that it's not part of a grand scheme? Oh wait, that's right. Closed mine here, carry on.
I can beat this argument in to the ground and you still will cling to your belief because you refuse to consider the alternatives, despite all evidence that you are, in fact, wrong.
Pray tell, what evidence you have that God does not exist? That I would love to see. Keep in mind that any "evidence" you bring to the table that supports the theory of evolution does not mean that there is no God. So go ahead, prove him wrong. I dare ya!

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:12 AM   #17
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Wildane
You are the epitomy of close-mindedness. You refuse to believe in what can't be explained logically.
Wildane, I don't know if you are religious, but do you think that a person who professes belief in god or objects of some religion can sincerely question the truth of that they openly declare as their faith?

In fact, when a religious practioner is confronted with logic, yet they refuse to accept logic and blindly reaffirm their faith, we are supposed to believe that is open mindedness?

This entire talk of being closed minded is nothing more than a self-serving diatribe against your oponents. We should not expect people with firm convictions to simply surrender them when confronted with opposing view points. We sure the hell shouldn't lambaste our opponents who hold firm to their convictions for doing so.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:03 AM   #18
Rheaton

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
Wildane, I don't know if you are religious, but do you think that a person who professes belief in god or objects of some religion can sincerely question the truth of that they openly declare as their faith?
Faith is the "title-deed" our pledge to things hoped: Heb 3:14

Logic cannot refute things hoped for.

Faith is the conviction of things not seen: Heb 11:3

Unseen by me.. unseen by logic. If it cannot be seen, it cannot be rationalized away.

Faith accepts even that which appears unreasonable: Rom 4:17

nuff said.
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:08 AM   #19
Dredblade

Originally Posted by Tomyeto

Religion is a scam...
LOL.........for true entertainment just watch Benny Hinn

Originally post by Dotra
the bible has proof of its happenings (jesus was alive, the saints and their doings, the burning bush has been found, the shroud<and they found that the carbon dating was off because of the carbon from the box when there was a fire, it altered its carbon 15 level> as well as proof of a great flood, anyhow decent proof is hard to find in Egyptian and greek thoughts, id be happy to get ya links on the proof if you request them)
Keep telling yourself that ROFL.......TV is great isnt it?

Dredblade

Last edited by Dredblade; 03-01-2004 at 09:17 AM.
Dredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:15 AM   #20
Wildane

In fact, when a religious practioner is confronted with logic, yet they refuse to accept logic and blindly reaffirm their faith, we are supposed to believe that is open mindedness?
Example of a religious practitioner refusing to accept logic? Not trying to be difficult, but I need more than that on which to base an argument.
We sure the hell shouldn't lambaste our opponents who hold firm to their convictions for doing so.
Nor am I doing so. I am criticizing his refusal to see alternatives, not his beliefs themselves. HE is the one "lambasting" his opponents for holding true to their convictions.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-01-2004, 09:16 AM   #21
Lurikeen
Freaky

Rheaton, reading your quoting of scripture is the equivalent to watching Jimmy Swagart preach a sermon after getting busted for soliciting a prostitute.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #22
Lurikeen
Freaky

Example of a religious practitioner refusing to accept logic? Not trying to be difficult, but I need more than that on which to base an argument.
I asked a question. I didn't propose an argument. However, just scroll up and read Rheaton's response to my question which I have found is a typical response by Christians who frequently run up against logic.

Nor am I doing so. I am criticizing his refusal to see alternatives, not his beliefs themselves. HE is the one "lambasting" his opponents for holding true to their convictions.
Can't you see how you are doing the same thing when criticizing him for his refusal to "see alternatives"? In fact, how do you know he hasn't already considered them? I think you are being a tad bit presumptuous.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:28 AM   #23
ShardmoonVer.1

Weak is the mind that feels the need to bring others down to its own level. Belief and faith arent facts and figures to be tabulated and argued. Either you do or you dont.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:32 AM   #24
Wildane

Rheaton is not saying you should abandon logic, just that it shouldn't be your sole guide. It's a totally valid statement.
Originally Posted by the dictionary
Close-minded - Intolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others; stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas.
If you don't believe Ares is unreceptive to the idea that some religions may be credible, look again.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:35 AM   #25
Lurikeen
Freaky

Wildane, every person has their own set of core beliefs that they will never question. Holding that against someone is petty.

BTW, Kiebler provides a great example of what I am saying. "Belief and faith arent facts and figures to be tabulated and argued. Either you do or you dont".

Is Kiebler therefore "closed minded", about belief and faith?