Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Inmountains

Default Al Gore wins an Oscar?? Another Liberal Hypocrite!

http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/...article_id=367

Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth”
Gore’s home uses more than 20 times the national average

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Axgar

Send a message via Yahoo to Axgar
Glad I dont conserve like him Id be without electricity after the first bill.
Axgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Good Lord! Our measly little $125 a month doesn't look so bad now!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
Fenlayen

Doesn't seem as clear cut as the article makes out.

As these two articles show he's paying more because he's paying a premium for greener energy.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Globa...2906888&page=1

http://www.dicksonherald.com/apps/pb...EWS01/70226055
Fenlayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Inmountains

And the LEFT fights back with their BS. The Gore house is 3 1/3 times the size of mine and uses 18,400 KWH per month compared to my 1,268 KWH per month (got my electric bill yesterday). No matter how you slice it, the Gore's use a LOT of energy, I don't care if it does come from windmills and hamster wheels.

Just this year, we have started replacing incadescent bulbs with flourescent bulbs. Here is an interesting fact. If every house in the United States changed just ONE incadescent light bulb to ONE flourescent light bulb, it would be the energy saving equivalent of taking 800,000 cars off American Roads. I think we have changed 8 bulbs in our house so far.

But here is my biggest problem! How do you get teenagers to TURN THE LIGHTS OFF? Dang kids!! LOL!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

While it's an amusing story, the extremely high usage probably has a reasonable explanation - how many people are using the house & for what activities - if it's essentially a small business w/ various staffers, lots of office equipment, etc - that would use a lot more electricity than the average house.

Or maybe Al is really into computer gaming, and it's the dozen Alienware Area-51 ALXs with Quad Nvidia 8800 GTXes and 60-inch high-def plasmas sucking down all the juice as he multiboxes EQ and WoW simultaneously.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Doesn't he need all that power to he can run the intreweb?

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

Originally Posted by Wildane
I would think that now that they've switched it over to a series of tubes, it would use a lot less power.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
zzapp the witch

Since I got to gut my house and start from scratch, I'm feeling a lot better about how much electricity and wood heat I'm using. I use half as much wood to heat my house as my parents, and my house is bigger. And I love those curly cue bulbs that are equivalent to 30w but only use 13w. Without the heater keeping the pipes from freezing, I'm lucky if my power bill is 30 bucks. Can't wait til summer when I don't have to turn any lights on at all, or use the dryer or hot water heater (passive heat tank).

In fact, I've been debating getting solar panels for the roof of the house and shop, anyone have experience with those?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Wildane
He should use Hot air...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
Alinusara

The press release from Johnson's group, an obscure conservative think tank founded by Johnson in 2004 when he was 24, was given splashy attention on the highly-trafficked Drudge Report Monday evening, and former Gore aides saw it as part of a piece, along with an Fox News Channel investigation from earlier this month of Gore's use of private planes in 2000. Last year, a seemingly amateurish Youtube video mocking the "An Inconvenient Truth" turned out to have been produced by slick Republican public relations firm called DCI, which just happens to have oil giant Exxon as a client.

"Considering that he spends an overwhelming majority of his time advocating on behalf of and trying to affect change on this issue, it's not surprising that people who have a vested interest in protecting the status quo would go after him," said the former Gore aide.
Heh
Alinusara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:39 AM   #12
Everclear

We use green energy in south texas... it's not THAt much more. (I would personally buy electricity from a company that ran on orphan's tears if it was cheap... but my husband wants to be environmental... opposite attract I guess)... and I can't IMAGINE how much natural gas it takes to get THAT bill!!! Natural gas is cheap!!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:16 AM   #13
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Everclear
We use green energy in south texas... it's not THAt much more. (I would personally buy electricity from a company that ran on orphan's tears if it was cheap... but my husband wants to be environmental... opposite attract I guess)... and I can't IMAGINE how much natural gas it takes to get THAT bill!!! Natural gas is cheap!!
So He's Darma and YOU'RE Greg?
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:53 AM   #14
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by Everclear
Natural gas is cheap!!
Pull my finger.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #15
bumbleroot

Gore has asked to pay more per kwh so he can use alternative or (green) sources of energy. This is a choice not many of us can afford to pay.

Just as a sidenote. I actually have seen his house. It is tremendous. It looks like the White House which is kind of funny.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote