Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Small Talk

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2002, 08:21 AM   #176
Cassaendra

Default Re: What are you rocking now?

The one thing about Casper that stands out most when I was there for a few days, was that it was the first time in my life I had seen gas cheaper than a buck/gallon. The gasoline in Hawaii hovers typically at $1.75/gallon. I have seen it go to almost $2.00/gallon.

I really should be more into the scene in Cleveland. Shame on me. All I know is that Mushroomhead is pretty good, and that their sound was unfortunately "stolen."

Hawaii didn't have a GREAT scene, but I think most people back in the day just treated their band as a weekend party thing. I am sure a few decent bands would have come out of Hawaii if they stuck to it. Hmm...bands...Oh! One of my cousin's best friends is the vocalist (I think!) for Poi Dog Pondering. That is the only band I can think of...

The high school that I was at had the most punks of any school in the state in the mid-1980's. A lot of our music tastes came from England, Germany, SF, and NY because most of us used to spend time outside Hawaii in the summertime...which is why my taste was in that realm as well. If we had friends in DC, I am sure that I would have been a big DC fan. :P

I loved "Fresh Fruits..." It is the only punk CD I own. It's a classic!

Cassaendra
Old 07-30-2002, 05:21 PM   #177
SplitlipFelix

I dunno, i'm more of a "Give me convenience or give me death" DK guy, hard to beat Police truck as the first song on any record. Not actually in Cleveland, but near. The only current cleveland band i'm friends with is 9 Shocks Terror, so i cant really say I'm involved with the scene here anymore. Fvckin shame about that assgoblin Gene closing down Speak In Tounges so he could run his shitmetal club without any distractions.
edit: As Friends Rust = Most bitter band ever. Bitter is good.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:07 PM   #178
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Haven't really listened to any modern day punk....how do these guys stand up to outfits like the UK Subs, Agnostic Front, Stiff Little Fingers, etc?

For US stuff, I got into DRI in a major way a few years ago. Actually knocked myself out listening to Thrash Zone =p
Old 07-30-2002, 08:35 PM   #179
K1SSK1nG

really matters...i mean, there's so many new genres out there nowadays. you got your crappy pop punk, your stupid white power skinhead @#%$.... =p

actually...Change is good. Look at bands like Refused, or Against All Authority from a few years ago. =p Refused, on The State of Punk to Come atleast, used a lot of electronics, and other forms of music...blues, jazz, etc. AAA was a god damn political ska band. Not to mention they kicked a ton of ass. I really don't like the newer AAA without the trumpets tho >< its so hard to make Ska without trumpets. it just sounds like punk.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:38 AM   #180
Zaccheus FeatherTouch

yes we get it, your not posers you know alot about old skool and there for "real punk"...kthanks
Old 07-31-2002, 06:33 PM   #181
SplitlipFelix

Well, that was a pretty weirdly worded flame. I think. Thanks for your time, please drive on.
I saw Stiff little fingers a few years ago when they did a reunion tour, didnt really stack up to the old records very well. Seemed kinda lackluster. Love the old records tho, Nobodys' Heroes is a great listen.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:41 AM   #182
K1SSK1nG

" yes we get it, your not posers you know alot about old skool and there for "real punk"...kthanks"

first off, i hate punk rockers, i hate the mentality and the attitude.

second, i don't look punk. i wear old navy clothing because its comfortable, and i comb my hair. not to mention i keep good hygiene.

Third, i just like the music. i don't consider myself a punk rocker, i don't consider other people posers (i hate the word).

Fourth, don't turn this god damn topic into a flame. its just a place where we can talk about music. why don't you make a contribution?
Old 08-01-2002, 05:01 PM   #183
SplitlipFelix

Planes Mistaken For Stars- Thursday Aug. 8th at the cleveland Grog Shop. Be there or be.....well, somewhere else I suppose. Not really my affair is it? PMFS will no doubt destroy by force of sound all the trendster sweater/martini fvcks that infest the place most of the time. Here's to hope anyway. Someone told me skate companies are starting to make old school decks again, anyone know if Santa Cruz is going to follow suit? I hate with a passion those new school decks.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:10 AM   #184
Cassaendra

OMG you just reminded me of my days when I had a big, bright green Rob Roskop skateboard. LOL. God that memory was buried under a lot of dust...or was it just repressed. I sucked at skating tho. Not that many females in my area even skated so.. *shrug*

Cassaendra
Old 08-08-2002, 10:11 PM   #185
SplitlipFelix

Planes Mistaken for Stars > all. Good show, first time they've played the area, and aside from the shitty Grog shop sound system, they did a great job.
In the player-
Planes Mistaken for Stars- Knife in the Marathon ( title evokes a great mental image...the desperation of a whole marathon combined with a knife weilding psycho....)
Sleater Kinney- One Beat( Stole the advance promo we got at the store, its not out till the 20th, and oh does it rule
Descendents- Milo Goes to College ( I broke my first stereo when this first came out, busted the speakers playing 'Suburban Home' so loud i could feel it in my teeth. What a great record. )

Old 08-08-2002, 11:24 PM   #186
Antilles Darklighter

Hah, yeah, I haven't been back as of late... but here I am

I ended up not going to Nile.

Went to Slayer/Soulfly/In @#%$ Flames last night.

Needless to say, In Flames was the best hands down.

Soulfly quite frankly sucks. I used to like them, but I swear to god, yeah. Maybe my views of (american) metal are jaded now because of my fondness of the hardcore/metalcore scene (and even some emocore, hah), but yeah. It just doesn't do it anymore. The best part of their set, imo, was when they had one of the guitarists from a local hXc band (North Side Kings) join them on stage. That was quite a surprise.

Slayer was decent, though their new @#%$ sucked. I dig it, but live it was just crap. Everything was terribly off. I don't know, after a few songs I just wasn't getting into it any longer. Don't get me wrong, I like Slayer, but I wasn't that impressed with the show.

In Flames though, @#%$, that was where it was at. They never come through here, so it was worth the $39 just to see them. Even if we got there halfway through their set, and only got to see about 15-20 minutes. That was hands down the best part of the show.

But yeah, prior to that show i'd seen Nodes of Ranvier and Falling Cycle together. Sinai Beach was supposed to play, but ended up not making it.

Also:
Skycamefalling, Bloodlet
The Hope Conspiracy, Stretch Arm Strong, Reach The Sky
From Autumn To Ashes, Shai Hulud, Evergreen Terrace, One Fifth

Saturday night i'll be seeing Poison The Well, Shadows Fall, and Killswitch Engage.

Yeah, PtW hasn't really been hardcore since Distance Makes The Heart Grow Fonder, but I still love them. I could easily follow everyone and say Tear From The Red sucks, because it's different... it's not as hard, not at all. But I won't, because I enjoy the album. Not as good as Opposite Of December, but it is good. And they were good live a few months back, i'm looking forward to seeing them again. Not to mention Shadows Fall.

Plus, PtW will be back in October with Thursday, who I just saw not too long ago too. Good stuff.

But yeah, after Saturday i'll have to wait until 9/2 - 18V, Every Time I Die (hell yes), Norma Jean and Hopesfall. That'll be great.

Okay, i'm done :P
Old 08-09-2002, 09:59 AM   #187
K1SSK1nG

"Descendents- Milo Goes to College ( I broke my first stereo when this first came out, busted the speakers playing 'Suburban Home' so loud i could feel it in my teeth. What a great record. )"

yes.

i wanted to go to the slayer/soulfly show, didn't tho, not even going to ozzfest this year (i'd only go for otep and hatebreed anyway).
Old 08-09-2002, 11:22 AM   #188
Baidieneriy Chizad

Vanilla ice "Ice Ice Baby" and that song fron Ninja Turtles 2!

Seriously though, I'm straight, I don't listen to Vanilla Ice.

I like emo, rock, some punk, dance, and some heavy metal.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:55 PM   #189
Antilles Darklighter

Post # 666

But uh yeah, so i'm not going to see Poison the Well this weekend.

As it turns out, they were never booked on the tour with Kittie past tonights show in Vegas.

So consequently, they won't be here tomorrow.

Gotta love false advertisement.

That, plus the fact that the new Killswitch vocalist is out with a @#%$ up throat = plenty of reason not to pay $20 to see Shadows Fall and Kittie.

Shadows Fall is great, but yeah. That's about it.

/sighs

Oh well, it's not hardcore, but Cigar will be here Tuesday and Deadsy Wednesday. What can I say, i'm a sucker for Deadsy.

If only The Faint would come through here.
Old 08-10-2002, 08:24 AM   #190
K1SSK1nG

i checked out killswitch on this roadrunner comp i got when i went to see Coal Chamber/American Head Charge (Head Charge wasn't there, their money ran out the night before the show i was at >< ). They're good @#%$, Also, Five Pointe 0 is pretty damn good too, but i've known about those guys for a while. They're local.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:51 PM   #191
Felixican

Default Neglected thread!

the good: Lifetime, Grey Area, Gunmoll, TwelveHourTurn, Drowningman

the bad: Good Charolette, Avril Lavigne, blah blah blah

the ugly: Killing Time ( homeliest NYC hardcore band ever lol )
Old 12-14-2002, 11:20 PM   #192
AdoritCelerity

Send a message via AIM to AdoritCelerity
Talking hey

rocking to N*E*R*D* who's popular tunes your might know as Lapdance, Rockstar, and Provider in that order.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:50 PM   #193
Ancientwalker

Send a message via ICQ to Ancientwalker Send a message via MSN to Ancientwalker
OLP
STP
Chili Peppers
U2
Stones
Floyd
Pearl Jam
Doors
Clapton
Green Day
Goo Goo Dolls
IME
Hendrix
Nirvana
Queen of the damned sound track
Blade sound track
etc..
Ancientwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:00 PM   #194
Antilles

Fuck yeah, Drowningman is the shit.

Check out Lickgoldensky if you like them. Ex-members of Turmoil. That's some chaotic stuff. I'm really digging Daughters as of late, too. Former members of As The Sun Sets.

I'm looking forward to the new Dillinger Escape Plan album. One of the new songs, 50V Phantom Your Band Sucks, is quite frankly incredible. But then again, everything Dillinger has done is incredible. Even the EP with Mike Patton (come on, that just screams "given!").

Ever heard of Ed Gein (the band of course :P), Felix? They are based up in NY. So are If Hope Dies (this is Dambala's band, I have been praising these guys for the longest time and they just released their first full length).
Antilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:02 PM   #195
Antilles

I should say Drowningman was the shit :P

I want to hear what Simon's new band sounds like. Should be an interesting departure from what we're used to hearing from him.

Either way, he also has a side project in the works that should sound something like Drowningman, so that is cool.

And don't get me started on Jake Bannon from Converge... his side project has two full lengths coming out this year. Plus the Converge DVD with like 23498124213407 full Converge sets, plus so much more. No wonder it has taken so long. This man is a genius.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:26 AM   #196
Mendeus
Un-registered User

Send a message via AIM to Mendeus Send a message via Yahoo to Mendeus
Lately..

Orbital
Tool
Depeche Mode
Aphex Twin
Venom
Juno Reactor
Prodigy
Apoptygma Bezerk
VNV Nation
Nine Inch Nails
Brotha Lynch Hung
ICP
Dark Lotus
Blindside
System of a Down
Mendeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:15 PM   #197
Ssetti

Send a message via MSN to Ssetti
Lately I've been listening to the Libertines. Damn good stuff.
Ssetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:13 PM   #198
Felixican

Default Figures.

Figures one of the few heavy/chaotic style HC bands i like would break up. No more bloodynoses at Drowningman shows bah.

Clash- RIP Joe Strummer. Man, all my teenage heroes are dieing off.
Small Brown Bike - Dead Reckoning
Gunmoll/Fifth Hour Hero split- FHO sounds alot like a canadian version of Discount, but thats not really a bad thing. Gunmoll is just the shit, lately I cant find any flaws with this band. www.gunmollrock.com
Rocket From the Crypt - Live at Camp X-ray.. good stuff, best record from them in a couple of years.
Swarm- parasitic skies- I dont like the record that much, but they were great everytime i saw them live
Planes mistaken for stars- spearheading the sin movement- sooo good new PMFS soooo gooooood

Ed Gein sounds real familiar, i might have something on a comp, I'll have to go scratching around. I moved all my shit around and cant find a bunch of my CD's...grrrr....

and doesnt this look badass.... http://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=85036&
Old 01-08-2003, 03:54 PM   #199
Antilles

Black On Black looks to be awesome.

Ed Gein.

I'm gonna go see Glasseater (poppy hardcore) this Saturday and then on Sunday, it's the "Leave after the opening band" tour with The Blood Brothers :P

I may stay for Taking Back Sunday, though. We'll see. The Blood Brothers are definitely going to destroy everyone, though.

And then next Wednesday is The Promise, Terror, Death Threat, A Death For Every Sin, Throwdown, and North Side Kings. That show is going to rock, for sure :P

Check out any of the aforementioned bands, if you're looking for new stuff.