Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Small Talk

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #51
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

My degree is in IT, so my exposure to philosophy was probably not as extensive as other programs. In fact, I had many courses that covered major thought pillars of philo in the context of the given material, Environmental Ethics as an example. In one particular class, we covered Utilitarianism as applied to the modern ecology. The discussions were very interesting, to say the least, and the professor was more facilitator than participant. Most of the lower division professors, in my experience, tended to promote the discussions between students rather than inject empirical observations.

In any case, any educational experience, to me, is not wasted. At the very least, you get exposure to new and different ideas that, if nothing else, could very well bolster your own view as much as change it.
Damn, is Pafuna allowed to win the intrawebs twice, or is it a lifetime achievement thing?
Pafuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #52
furo

Originally Posted by Lurikeen View Post
Oh, so when he stated...

"Most teachers today are punching a clock, like most students. Look at it like a meeting at work with less pay. Have you ever been to a meeting where the leader actually wanted to argue about his subject?",

he was just noting that "teachers go to work"... at face value it couldn't be that he was implying that teachers are like leaders at work who don't want to argue about his subject?

Interesting.
Why would I bother with what he was "implying?"

If I was confused, I would have asked for clarification.

Seems that you are, so why don't you ask for Shard's interpretation of his own statement, rather than leave it up to me, Lurikeen?
furo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #53
furo

Originally Posted by Pafuna View Post
My degree is in IT, so my exposure to philosophy was probably not as extensive as other programs. In fact, I had many courses that covered major thought pillars of philo in the context of the given material, Environmental Ethics as an example. In one particular class, we covered Utilitarianism as applied to the modern ecology. The discussions were very interesting, to say the least, and the professor was more facilitator than participant. Most of the lower division professors, in my experience, tended to promote the discussions between students rather than inject empirical observations.
lol, funny you bring up the utilitarian subject. My Enviro Ethics prof invited our class (of 8 students or so) to his house for a dinner, wherein he also brought along a environmentalist author (Peter Singer) who is a decided liberal activist and "preference utilitarian"... that was an interesting discussion for sure.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #54
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by furo View Post
Why would I bother with what he was "implying?"

If I was confused, I would have asked for clarification.

Seems that you are, so why don't you ask for Shard's interpretation of his own statement, rather than leave it up to me, Lurikeen?
Oh, I just find it interesting that you weren't picking up on the implication. You know... Shard was just saying 'Teachers go to work, students go to school, and leaders at work don't want to argue'. Shard just arbitrarily strung that statement together and implied nothing... yes? No worries, Furo. It is ok.
Lurikeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #55
furo

Shard just arbitrarily strung that statement together and implied nothing... yes?
Yeah, pretty much. It implies nothing.

If you want to know why, it's because I don't even buy the analogy to begin with. A professor isn't a "leader" like you see at work. The two don't mix. Teachers get paid whether they agree or disagree with students. Leaders make decisions, and that's what they get paid to do, as opposed to the common professor during a lecture series.

So no, I don't get the implication, Lurikeen. Break down Shard's logic for me.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #56
ShardmoonVer.1

Luri is fishing. Its obvious he hasnt visited these boards much lately if he thinks Furo is above jumping on me.

Go read 3 or 4 pages back and catch up before trying to stir shit.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #57
Lurikeen
Freaky

So no, I don't get the implication, Lurikeen. Break down Shard's logic for me.
Like I said, if you don't see the implication there is nothing to worry about. I am sure you are right that Shard can speak for himself. You know... you are probably right that Shard was just saying, "Teachers go to work. Students go to school. Leaders don't want to argue"... because obviously the implication is not that teachers and students, like a leader at work who doesn't want to argue, are biding their time in the class room and don't want to engage in conflict. So, no, you are probably right... that sort of logic isn't there. Shard just wanted to point out teachers work, students go to school and bosses try to avoid conflict.

I just want to add to that, school janitors mop floors, students sit at desks, and teachers use white boards, but leaders at work try to make sure their white board markers aren't dried out.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #58
furo

... because obviously the implication is not that teachers and students, like a leader at work who doesn't want to argue, are biding their time in the class room and don't want to engage in conflict.
Did you just read my last post?

I stated that I don't buy that analogy to begin with, Lurikeen. So what may be implied or not doesn't even matter to me.

Hence we are back to square one: I think Shard's claim about teachers "punching a clock" is not significant.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #59
ShardmoonVer.1

By not significant he means he accepts it as gospel. Like every thing else I have ever said.

Its good to be the king.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #60
Lurikeen
Freaky

Did you just read my last post?

I stated that I don't buy that analogy to begin with, Lurikeen. So what may be implied or not doesn't even matter to me.

Hence we are back to square one: I think Shard's claim about teachers "punching a clock" is not significant.
Define "significant".
Old 03-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #61
furo

Define "significant".
No.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #62
Lurikeen
Freaky

No.
You're no fun, Furo.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #63
bumbleroot

I took the statement at face value, deciding not to read into it. If Shard wants to state that "most teachers" aren't interested in their jobs, then let him state it, not me.

Bumbles, on the other hand, very clearly spoke for "most teachers" when he stated that "Most professors really are into the subjects they teach, they usually need to be if they had to take so many courses in the areas they teach."
You're a fucking liar and not a single soul on these boards believes this bullshit. Or else you are too stupid to mean what "just punching a clock" means. Do you always act stupid when you are caught being duplicitous? Face, it, you were wrong, and I proved it. Now you are too much of a pussy to admit it.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #64
furo

Originally Posted by bumbleroot View Post
You're a fucking liar and not a single soul on these boards believes this bullshit. Or else you are too stupid to mean what "just punching a clock" means. Do you always act stupid when you are caught being duplicitous? Face, it, you were wrong, and I proved it. Now you are too much of a pussy to admit it.
Guess you missed the bus on this as usual. And how exactly am I wrong? Are you speaking for Shard again?

Bumbles, I'm Not going to answer you twice, especially when you can't explain why you think you are qualified to speak for "most professors."

You can read my response to your nonsense here.

Edit: Oh, and I love this little gem of yours: "..and not a single soul on these boards believes this bullshit."

So, now that your done speaking for "most professors" and "doctors," you now speak for every person on this board and what they may or may not believe??

This just gets better doesn't it?

What's next? Another quote of yours where you speak for "the people of the world?"

Last edited by furo; 03-04-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #65
ShardmoonVer.1

You proved it? By who's standard? Declaring victory on the internet is how champions are made.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #66
bumbleroot

Guess you missed the bus on this as usual. And how exactly am I wrong? Are you speaking for Shard again?
Don't pretend you haven't a clue what "punching the clock" means. It is an absolute bullshit answer you gave for that. Lurikeen called you on it, but he was a lot more subtle in his approach. Not me, you simply lied. It goes exactly to the character of who you are. You got caught, not only by me, but by others in a lie. And if you think others believed you and didn't know you lied, you are so delusional. You haven't fooled anyone with this.

you think you are qualified to speak for "most professors."
I think you meant to ask that to Shard, he brought the subject up.

Go ahead, start attacking Shard for his statement.

I'm waiting......

So stop making me the subject. You didn't ask him since he brought the subject up so we must assume that your only intent is to lob attacks towards me and not at all make an honest argument. Dude, you let your feelings dictate your logic. Very poor if you are going to argue.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:39 PM   #67
furo

So stop making me the subject.
You bring it upon yourself, bumbles. Until you stop talking out of your ass and speaking for others, you get no slack.

Here's a reminder of the four posts by you in this thread alone where you speak for others:

Originally Posted by bumbles
Most professors really are into the subjects they teach, they usually need to be if they had to take so many courses in the areas they teach.
And

I would feel safer saying doctors are more interested in punching the clock since they actually do receive substantial amounts of money for their job.
And here where you speak for Shard and whether he confronts his roomates:

But you [Shard] have the balls to ridicule those you don't know but when it comes to those you do know, you [Shard] are a pussy in confronting them.
Oh and let's not forget here where you speak for the entire board!

You're a fucking liar and not a single soul on these boards believes this bullshit.

Oh and by the way, I have made it evident that I disagree with Shard's analogy between teachers and "leaders" at work, rendering his statement about "punching the clock" insignificant imo, seeing that I can "punch a clock" and be perfectly happy and content with my job.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #68
bumbleroot

You bring it upon yourself, bumbles. Until you stop talking out of your ass and speaking for others, you get no slack
So you are admitting that your arguments are because of your view towards me and not based upon logic. Thank you, from now on your credibility in ANY argument is forever tainted.

Oh and by the way, I have made it evident that I disagree with Shard's analogy between teachers and "leaders" at work, rendering his statement about "punching the clock" insignificant imo, seeing that I can "punch a clock" and be perfectly happy and content with my job.
Once again you are trying to weasel your way out of your losing argument. You already stated that you felt his "punch the clock" statement was to be taken at face value. Now you are trying to spin it down or redirect the argument. Your constant pontificating doesn't change the fact that you got caught by others as well as me in a lie. Lur caught you as well. I'm sure others saw it just as easily since it was so apparent. You can continue to try to weasel your way out of it or you can come clean and admit you lied. Of course your options aren't too good. Either you look like an excuse-making weasler or you are a liar. As it is, Bill Clinton and the liar before him George Bush (Read my lips) and the liar after him (17 words) have company. It is you.

I don't call anyone a liar unless they are obvious about it. Many times ignorance is a valid excuse for a lie. But you are a liar. So proclaim it on the mountain, you have no recourse but to forever be seen as a liar from now on. Who knows what else you have lied about. Who is to trust you from now on?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #69
furo

I almost find it hilarious that you continue to root your "proof" of me lying based upon Lurikeen's interpretation and your interpretation of what Shard's original statement meant.... whereby you are still speaking for Shard (and now Lurikeen as well).

But seeing your downard trend here in this thread, it is rather sad.

Oh, and add numbers 5 and 6 to the amount of times you've decided to speak for others in this thread alone. Your latest additions?

5. You speaking for Lurikeen in your last post.

6. Your statement here:
I'm sure others saw it just as easily since it was so apparent

Last edited by furo; 03-05-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #70
bumbleroot

Oh, and add numbers 5 and 6 to the amount of times you've decided to speak for others in this thread alone. Your latest additions?
If you wish to argue this, you need to always address it whenever anyone does this. And since Shard did this first, you need to address this first. Otherwise your argument is simply just a personal attack and has no merit in logic since you are arguing based upon who I am rather than what is said.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #71
furo

If you wish to argue this, you need to always address it whenever anyone does this.
No I don't.

And since Shard did this first, you need to address this first.
No I don't.

Otherwise your argument is simply just a personal attack and has no merit in logic since you are arguing based upon who I am rather than what is said.
No it isn't.

It is an argument that stands on its own two feet. And it doesn't involve speaking for other people, to include this entire board.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #72
ShardmoonVer.1

I am not much fun to attack. Its probably my titanium exoskeleton or something.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #73
Veo

Or just the fact that you don't care.
Veo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #74
ShardmoonVer.1

Nah... its my exoskeleton. I use not caring more as a way to get laid than deflect message board beatings.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #75
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by ShardmoonVer.1 View Post
I am not much fun to attack. Its probably my titanium exoskeleton or something.
Oh, you're more fun to attack than you realize... True, it might take a little more effort, but the result is very satisfying.

And doesn't the exoskeleton turn off those not of the Terminator-fetishist bent?

Or is it more of a Zoiberg type?
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote