Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2003, 05:47 AM   #1
RuggerCorleone

Default Wonderful Night

Had a pretty crappy day and was really looking forward to playing an adventure before heading to bed. It didn't take long before I was in a group. We were waiting for a shammy and cleric to join us before we headed out. We waited about 10min for the Shammy (Sirbattle), then another 10 or 15 minutes after that for the cleric (Gywenth). As soon as I saw the name Gywenth a chill went down my spine. I just knew I had seen bad things about her here somewhere, but wasn't sure. So we continued on our way. The Leader of the group went and got an adventure, and not 2 minutes after getting the adventure Gywenth tells the group that her guild is going raiding, but we still continue. We get to the zone-in in Lfay when Gywenth and Sirbattle decide that they are going raiding, and leave the group. Of course all this took about an hour between waiting for Gywenth and getting to the zone in and buffing, so now I didn't have the time to try and play another.

Gywenth told me I was stupid for being upset, even though we had passed on several LFG clerics waiting on her and then she bails after wasteing an hour of our time (not to mention we would have to wait for the adventure to expire as well).

Could some please tell me if I have reason to be upset, because this to me sounds about as rude and disrespectful as a person could be. I know the a person should put your guild before a pickup group but I have a hard time believing she didn't know that her guild was raiding before she joined us and accepted an adventure.

Oh well guess there will always be dickshitters out there ruining it for everyone else.

Empyema Corleone
RuggerCorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 06:33 AM   #2
Bombfists

Sounds just like gywenth to me...

"Classes are not that out of balance." - AbsorEQ
Bombfists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:04 AM   #3
korinn

You had every right to be upset. That's a shitty thing to do really. I you know you are going to raid 10 - 45 minutes before going to an adventure you might as well just find a replacement for ourself before you go in.

Also, couldn't you just leave the adventure instead of waiting for it to expire?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:23 AM   #4
Evyla

Could some please tell me if I have reason to be upset, because this to me sounds about as rude and disrespectful as a person could be. I know the a person should put your guild before a pickup group but I have a hard time believing she didn't know that her guild was raiding before she joined us and accepted an adventure
I'm sure you will get some anti-Gywenth posts and support on this, but contrary to popular belief, a lot of raiding guilds don't have set times for when they call mobilizations. Sure, most have target hours for when they would like to do raids, but they are just that. Target hours. Some raids/mobilizations happen when hot MOBs spawn, some happen when someone in guild asks for help with something, and since school/college has started, some happen when the guild can get enough people online to even bother looking for MOBs.

It would be wonderful if we could all be in the same time zone, work the same hours, and play the same hours. It would make sched'ing raids a LOT easier, but unfortunately, it's just not the way it works most times. At least the 2 members of your party didn't wait until you were inside the adventure.
Evyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:32 AM   #5
Evyla

You had every right to be upset. That's a shitty thing to do really. I you know you are going to raid 10 - 45 minutes before going to an adventure you might as well just find a replacement for ourself before you go in.
Maybe I'm wrong, but that sounds like what happened. The way I read the first post, a guild call went out sometime during their trip between the Wayfarer camp and the dungon and the 2 ppl left before the group actually entered.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:45 AM   #6
elsinor

When the adventure was accepted the guild was talking about raiding. On the way over from the way's camp too the dungeon in LFay the guild call was given to mobilize for Vindicator.

Gywenth Swiftblade
elsinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:48 AM   #7
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
You still suck
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:27 AM   #8
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Members of a raiding guild should always be putting the guild first.

-However-

It is still irresponsible to run off and join something that you know full well requires an hour/hour-and-a-half time commitment when there's a good chance you're going to be called to mobilize. Uncertain raid times or not, you should know when your guild generally raids and you should always be prepared for that contingency.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:56 AM   #9
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

In my one and only foray into pickup grouping in BoT I was lucky enough to get Gywenth as a cleric. I left not long after we started due to not being able to deal with his/her/its bitching that we didn't have an ench for CC.

I guess in a roundabout way I should thank Gywenth for reinforcing and solidifying my opinion that pickup groups suck...though people like him/her/it are clearly WHY they suck.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:58 AM   #10
Xerion

Some of the people in pickup groups also use the "Guild Raiding Now" card as an excuse if the group sucks.
Xerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:03 AM   #11
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
Gwyeneth has always been a perma-tool. I would just shrug it off and move on. Her character is kinda an urban legend on this server now, like that warrior in PoV with 200 aa or whatever...what was that moron's name its been so long since I've played I forgot, oh yeah...Southern.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:06 AM   #12
Muertissimo

Send a message via AIM to Muertissimo
Man, I've heard bits and pieces about this Southern's persons antics but nothing good. Let's hear some dirt!
Greylords EQ2 too!
Retired member of
Midnight Fury (r.i.p.)

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse. And his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him."--Revelation 6:8
"Your greatest creation, is the life you lead."
Muertissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:19 AM   #13
Kemora

Send a message via AIM to Kemora
Gywenth has a guild? Who are the poor fools this time?

In my one and only foray into pickup grouping in BoT...
Are you feeling OK Araya? Why would anyone volentarly go to BoT...

AIM: Kemorakementari
Kemora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:35 AM   #14
Irulan Dunedancer

Temporary insanity.
46 Ranger (semi-retired)
"Don't say I'm out of touch/ With this rampant chaos - your reality/ I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge/ The nightmare I built my own world to escape"
Irulan Dunedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:01 AM   #15
Gravdiger

Send a message via AIM to Gravdiger
Gywenth has a guild? Who are the poor fools this time?
If I am thinking of Right person she / he is in

Vanguards of Excellence
Fuuman Isgravsbot (70th Season Shaman) (Fully Retired)
Gravdiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:13 AM   #16
Venlail

That is the tag she had last night when she popped in on us in HoT and asked if we'd allow her to attempt to solo a dragon.....while we were buffing after she rezzed a KoS guildie in the HoT doorway.

Thanks again for that rez-death you gave him.
BloodLord and Retired Member of Whit`s End
Venlail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:18 AM   #17
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
There's been a lot more "Uber guilds and raiding guilds are horrible and evil!" posts lately with LDON's release. I'd like to question if those people complaining have ever been in a real raiding guild before where you never can know what to expect and when.

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:52 AM   #18
Lixivia

I'd like to question if those people complaining have ever been in a real raiding guild before where you never can know what to expect and when.
i was in a raiding guild where you never knew when you were going to be called to a raid, and although i liked the guild, and liked raiding, i hated the fact i never knew when i was going to be called, i really did not like it. i felt like i could never exp because i was too afraid that i would have to ditch the group. i can see it that way for people with Ldon also.

if you have to raid you have to raid, but you know you on call if youre online pretty much, i would recommend grouping with guildies if you can. being in a guild like that is hard if you want to just lfg whenever.

its hard for the group you join, but remmeber it is also hard for that person to do, i'm sure they would rather finish the dungeon than need to port out, just be lucky he / she left before you started.

there have also been a lot of groups i thought were going to be terrible in ldon, and they went very well, and i was glad i stayed. so if people are going to use that as a ditching excuss, i would really give it a second chance. i really cant say i have gotten in a single bad group, that has almost cost us the chance of losing, based on people not being able to play their class.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:56 AM   #19
Jada

Point is though if she knew before she started the experience that there was talk of doing Vindi, and that she knew obviously she was going to go if called, she should have not went on the experience. You may not know when you are going to be called, but if you know before you enter the dungeon that you have a possibility to be called, either don't join the group or don't join the raid.

Yet another reason I swear off pick up groups as a norm.

Baron Gwing Elsalvador
63rd Level High Priest of Evilness
Phoenix Crusaders
Jada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:14 AM   #20
Ghie
G-Sharp

Location: Bounce around the country but have a tether in Nebraska
You can leave an adventure anytime before entering the dungeon and not have to take a loss or wait for it to expire.

It was better that she left before you went in than 2 mins after.

Any time you try to do LDoN adventures during prime time you should stick to single guild groups, that way if anyone has to go raid, everyone has to go and there are no hard feelings.
Ghie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:17 AM   #21
Aamrie

"but contrary to popular belief, a lot of raiding guilds don't have set times for when they call mobilizations"

More than not has set raiding times..

Jack Thompson: Yes, put down the controller and get a life. Video gaming is an escapist activity and youíre being exploited by these companies. Itís not healthy; I worry about someone who would play Grand Theft Auto for ten hours a day. Itís a masturbatory activity, and it would be better if people put down the controller and went outside.
Aamrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:31 AM   #22
Evyla

More than not has set raiding times..
I think I covered that...

Set raid times all you want. However, if a MOB that is wanted by more than 1 guild spawns outside your raid times, I don't think most guilds with sufficient numbers online will pass up a shot at it simply because it's not "raid time". At least most motivated guilds who have competition for the same game content.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:38 AM   #23
Bumamgar

Aye. For example, CoI has set raiding times, and we've cautioned all our members to avoid starting any sort of "Adventure" (or even normal XP group) within an hour of our start times.

We do raid outside our set raiding times, if a target of opportunity happens to spawn and we have the forces, we'll raid any time, day or night.

However, these "off hours" raids are considered "bonus time" and although all members online are expected to drop what they are doing and come raid, we ALSO don't ask folks to leave XP groups (or adventure groups) in a lurch. We give everyone time to get a replacement, or finish the adventure, and we do not penalize members for missing these "bonus" raids.

We schedule our raid days and off days up to two weeks in advance, and we always start "regular" raiding at the same time of day, so CoI members always know exactly when we're about to raid, and will keep that in mind prior to joining XP or Adventure groups.

We've actually deguilded one person who consistantly joined LDoN and XP groups 20 minutes before posted raid times.

So yes, at least one raiding guild has both "set raid times" and a contingency plan in place for "random raiding"

Of course, we also tend to have a lot of guild XP groups, which largely mitigates this problem.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:31 PM   #24
Hoamonduh

To dispell one item here...

I am an officer in Vanguards of Excellence.

When the announcement was made that Vindi was up, Myself, another Officer, and another member of VoE had JUST arrived in Veksar, gotten to camp and killed TWO mobs. We were planning on spending the next 3 - 4 hours AAing & making a bit of cash.

Myself and the other officer were not aware that Vindi was up at the time. Once officers were made aware that Vindi was up, we immediately called a muster. This was NOT a planned raid.

I apologize if this impinged on anyone's plans to adventure or inconvenienced anyone.

I appreciate the loyalty that Gywenth, Sirbattle, and so many others showed to our Family in such an expedient muster for this kill. For all the guilds out there, I wish you all the member loyalty that these people showed us on this fine day of battle!

Sincerely,

Hoamonduh Rangewereda
Proud Ranger Officer
Vanguards of Excellence
Hoamonduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 12:52 PM   #25
Kittenpurr

Soooooo retarded... <shakes her head sadly>

Easy way to avoid the "my guild called a raid and I gotta go.."..don't fucking join LDON raids during your prime raid hours...or even if you think a guild raid might be called. In my experience, at some point during the evening, one of the officers should announce that you're free to xp or whatever. Hey..that's the price you pay for joining a raiding guild, and I don't see a point in punishing random strangers who may have limited playtime for your inconsiderate ass. Gywenth and Sirbattle obviously knew from guildchat they were thinking of calling a Vindi raid..well fucking disband then and say "Sorry guild is thinking of doing a raid" until you know for sure you have the time commitment.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who leaves in the middle of a LDON raid is a tool...and any guild who would condone such behavior and pull someone who was in the middle of an LDON raid are tools as well. My advice- Don't be a tool. Either raiding guilds need to start making exceptions on mandatory raids for people in LDON (as replacements are impossible to get..and I'm speaking of people already in) or people need to go to the bazaar and buy a fucking clue and not join when there is even a hint of a raid maybe happening within the 2 hr commitment you would need to make.
Venerable Eatbugz ~ 65 Beastlord
Kittenpurr is offline   Reply With Quote