Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2003, 09:35 AM   #1
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Thumbs down Suicide

First rule of suicide: Don't fucking do it.

If you're going to kill yourself, at least have the fucking decency not to choose a messy method of dispatching yourself. Finding you dead is going to be traumatic enough as it is, but finding you as a bloody mess is so much worse for the people who care about you.
Ice Weasel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:56 AM   #2
Deadscale

Suicide is the pus way out, quitters.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:59 AM   #3
Deadscale

Oh, and that is just crap "Boohoo! soandso dumped me" or "Boohoo! I'm so fucking blue"

Some people have made a damn good living for being depressed. Other may have some sort of disability and still carry themselves with pride each day, not giving up.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
Xerion

Originally Posted by Ice Weasel
Finding you dead is going to be traumatic enough as it is,
That's right you damn Iksar monks!! If ya gonna die, at least curl up into a ball or something instead of lying spread eagled holding yer staff erect between thy legs! It scares the young gnome children!!

/hijack off
Xerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:22 AM   #5
Taevitus
Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to Taevitus
Permanent Solution to a Temporary Problem.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams; -- World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers, Of the world for ever, it seems.

Taevitus A'Nimus
Taevitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:51 AM   #6
Bumamgar

Originally Posted by Taevitus
Permanent Solution to a Temporary Problem.
I dunno. Personally, I think anyone who seriously contemplates suicide has a fairly permanent problem.

Granted, I've had several bad first hand experiences with people attempting (and in one case, succeeding) suicide. So I'm a tad jaded. Personally, if someone expresses a desire to commit suicide in my presense, I tell them to hurry up about it and stop pissing and moaning.

I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who would consider suicide. Best to let them remove themselves from the gene pool and the sooner the better.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:26 AM   #7
Deref

What other response would we expect from the Great and Mighty Bumamgar? The Robin Hood of Venril Sathir! The White Knight of Trakanon! The Benevolent Granter of the Gnarled Staff!

What about the family members? This doesn't affect just the person commiting suicide. Nobody exists in a vacuum. I have also had dealings with suicidal people. Some carried through, some didn't. In ALL cases, it was tragic for the families.

STFU, you selfish bastard.
Coercer (Packed in mothballs... sorta)
Deref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:45 AM   #8
Bumamgar

What is more tragic for the families?

Dealing with some emotions regarding the dearly departed, coming to terms with the sitution, and getting on with their lives.

Or, living with an emotionally messed up individual day in and day out. Dealing with all the bullshit that person drags the family through as they ride their emotional rollercoaster. It's not easy to watch your loved ones repeatedly attempt to kill themselves, and frankly, over time, that is far more damaging than just ending it.

Suicide is not a solution to anything, but it is far worse to have to live with someone who is suicidal, than it is to have to deal with their death.

About the only thing that could be worse is to live with them for years of repeated attempts, counseling, late night emergency room visits, etc. only to have them finally succeed after completely draining their families emotional and financial reserves.

Think about that a while, before you just dismiss my comments out of hand because of something that happened 6 months ago regarding a (now long dead) rotation.

Selfish? What can be more selfish than suicide?
Old 09-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #9
Deref

Suicide is a solution. A particularly bad solution, but a solution nonetheless. However, there is not one problem solution that does not involve consequences. As I said, nobody lives in a vacuum. It is extremely selfish of you to tell people callously to get on with it and do what they are going to do without offering to help them.

Bipolar disorders and depression are treatable if they are diagnosed and help is obtained. You cannot make the suicidal person seek help, but rather than callously ignore the situation, you should at least make an attempt to get them help.

Originally Posted by Bumamgar
Think about that a while, before you just dismiss my comments out of hand because of something that happened 6 months ago regarding a (now long dead) rotation.
The events are in history, but history describes the people who wrote it. You were selfish then, you are selfish now.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #10
Zinmatik
Please Don't Call My MOMMY

Its the best way out. Just depending on how bad your life is. If you have lost everthing and are rock bottom then thats the way to go. Its not a coward way to die, alot of you all might not even know what they have been through. Look at it this way, if there is a hell... Well then we know its not a pussy way out, he/she has balls to go burn in hell for eternity.
Zinmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:00 PM   #11
Deref

Originally Posted by Zinmatik
Its the best way out.
It is never the best way out. If you have consequences to face regarding bad decisions, face them and make something positive out of the results.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:08 PM   #12
Zinmatik

I guess I take that back then. But if you feel you have to do it then do it. Just keep in mind tomrrow is always another day and Ive learned from expereince. But its also depending on how down you are or what kind of hole your in. If you've killed alot of people and you know your going to prison you might as well end it all right there.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:10 PM   #13
Bumamgar

Deref: I admitted that my past experiences with suicide have made me jaded (or callous) In the past, I have done everything in MY power to help loved ones (including a now-ex-wife) deal with suicide. In every case, these situations ended up harming everyone involved in a variety of ways. The most recent case (with my ex-wife) ended up being nothing more than a sympathy ploy. She used the threat of suicide to manipulate me into doing things she wanted to do. Thank god that marriage is over.

I've been scammed, lied to, drug over the coals and had my heart torn out by people who played the "suicide card"

Never again. Sure, that may be "selfish" of me, but it's the only way I'll keep my own mental health intact. I just don't have it in me anymore to fuck around with someone who talks about suicide. All my sympathy and compassion for that class of individual is gone. It has been proven to me time and again that those who TALK about committing suicide are generally working the sympathy angle, and I'm just not going to buy into it anymore.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:14 PM   #14
Zinmatik

Originally Posted by Bumamgar
Deref: I admitted that my past experiences with suicide have made me jaded (or callous) In the past, I have done everything in MY power to help loved ones (including a now-ex-wife) deal with suicide. In every case, these situations ended up harming everyone involved in a variety of ways. The most recent case (with my ex-wife) ended up being nothing more than a sympathy ploy. She used the threat of suicide to manipulate me into doing things she wanted to do. Thank god that marriage is over.

I've been scammed, lied to, drug over the coals and had my heart torn out by people who played the "suicide card"

Never again. Sure, that may be "selfish" of me, but it's the only way I'll keep my own mental health intact. I just don't have it in me anymore to fuck around with someone who talks about suicide. All my sympathy and compassion for that class of individual is gone. It has been proven to me time and again that those who TALK about committing suicide are generally working the sympathy angle, and I'm just not going to buy into it anymore.
It has been proven to me time and again that those who TALK about committing suicide are generally working the sympathy angle
You Are completely right.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:24 PM   #15
Deref

I take great exception to that. There are a number of medical disorders that will cause suicidal tendencies. It is not all about sympathy plays, though there are people that will do that.

Zin, you are talking out that hat you have on your ass.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:31 PM   #16
Zinmatik

[QUOTE]Zin, you are talking out that hat you have on your ass.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Old 09-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #17
Syldra Megiste`

Fuck your suicide, its all bullshit cuz I tried.
I could share my opinions, but that would be bad! BAD! BAD!
Old 09-22-2003, 12:41 PM   #18
Deref

Originally Posted by Zinmatik
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
I was calling you an ass hat in a roundabout fashion. So, let me say it in a straight forward manner. You are talking out your ass, ass hat.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:19 PM   #19
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

A friend and I made a deal.

If one of us would ever commit suicide we would try to jump off the second level inside of a shopping mall and try to land our head in a flower pot or garbage can in front of a kindergarten class or some collection of children.

If one of us ever did manage to do that it would be the other's responsibility to commit necrophilia on the corpse right in the mall, also in front of the children.

I thought it was funny at the time...still kind of gives me a chuckle.

All kidding aside(yes we were kidding we used to just try to come up with the most fucked up shit we could possibly say just for fun...so don't get spastic), suicide is very sad. Anyone who tries to pass ANY sort of judgment on someone who has committed or talks about committing suicide is an idiot. Plain and simple.

Without being in that person's shoes no one has ANY right to judge whether they were cowardly, brave, selfish, unselfish, stupid, smart, etc.

Bumangar's response isn't his fault, it is a canned response. This is what someone who can't formulate their own opinion says. I have heard that little speech more times than I can count. He's just repeating what he has heard and just hasn't actually thought about the matter for himself...ignorance is bliss and all.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:22 PM   #20
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

I was calling you an ass hat in a roundabout fashion.
Or you could have been saying his head was basically just a second ass, though an ass that could be accessorized for certain.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:28 PM   #21
Lixivia

in my opinion.

(i guess you could say not in all cases, this is just what i personally believe)

people who want to kill themselves usually do not express it. it is always people you do not expect. there may be little signs, but they are often missed. these people dont tramatize relatives or loved ones with their problems. They go on with their lives like it is fine, pretending they are alright for the most part, while no one ever really knew what they feel/felt.

it is different than someone who says "i want to kill myself", to anyone they can. i feel like people who do that, think about dying, but are desprately seeking a reason not to. i think people who say that really dont want to die, they want to know people care, and i guess you can call that a sympathy ploy, or neediness. these are the people who cause a lot of emotion damage to other people.

in the basic words of johnny the homicidal manic. "killing yourself would only put a damper on your search for answers, not at all productive."

you can hate your life and everything in it, but it is amazing how something so stupid can still make you laugh everyday.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:51 PM   #22
Etumaru

I have to totally agree.
Not even 6 weeks ago a close friend and coworker committed suicide. He was the most motivational person I knew. He lost 120 pounds in a year and provided motivation to others to do the same. He was kind and loved his wife more than anything in the world.
None of us knew about the turmoil he was experiencing in his life outside of the workplace. We didn't know of his wife's cheating and the financial troubles they were having. We just came to work one day and found out in an email that he had died. Only then did his close friends find out how. I can not imagine the desperation he must have been feeling to do something like that .... but it is final. There is no thinking about it once the act has been committed. I walk past his desk every single day and think to myself that my life is wonderful and I can survive the periods of shit thrown my way. I am sure his wife will never be the same without him here.
I can't say I have never felt that kind of struggle, because I have. Some people can find that little bit of strength to make it through, but others just can't seem to grasp it. There is nothing anyone can really do to bring light to it, people find that strength solely within themselves.
I know plenty of people who pull that "woe is me" crap and it makes me angry that they feel the need to rely on others to make their happiness and "Save their lives !". For the ones that struggle every day with that kind of sadness, I pray they may one day make peace within their minds and find that life is a true gift.
Etumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:11 PM   #23
Tormarc

people who want to kill themselves usually do not express it. it is always people you do not expect. there may be little signs, but they are often missed. these people dont tramatize relatives or loved ones with their problems. They go on with their lives like it is fine, pretending they are alright for the most part, while no one ever really knew what they feel/felt.
unfortunately this is the case, sometimes i wish people would share their problems with more people to try and get some help. A few weeks ago one of my brothers friends committed suicide, it turns out that he had bad episodes being bi polar, but he went on like everything was fine. apparently he couldnt stand shock therapy and other therapys any longer, but he didnt tell anyone, not even his best friends,that he could not take it any longer, they thought he was fine, for the longest time, he hid it well, and then ended his life

so my feelings on it is that, if someone is really gonna do it they wont say anything, or will do it.. if it is someone who drags others along threatening repeatedly to do it, it is just someone who needs/craves attention.
Tormarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:16 PM   #24
Meagan

Wow, this thread was filled with a lot of ignorance. It's really difficult for people who truly live with emotional/mental problems in this society to be taken seriously anymore. The main reason is that in attempts for the media to shed some light on the problem, they created a frenzy and franchise out of it. In what I hope was attempts to provide tolerance and understanding of those who suffer from depression, manic depression, and anxiety disorders we've created a society that at first embraced the disorders and sympathized with its victims to belittling it. People now just think of depression as something everyone gets from time to time in their life. People see those commercials and go down the check list and think, my god, I was feeling that way, that could mean I have *fill in the blank* disorder. Or movies that basically glamourize therapy (anybody who's anybody has a therapist). And pharmacutical companies that work in conjunction with psychiatrists to prescribe expensive anti-drepessant/anti-anxiety medications to people who don't really have a problem. The first psychiatrist I went to wouldn't even sit down and have talk sessions with me, she just wanted to prescribe me drugs and send me on my way. After 6 months of that, I realized that I needed to see a regular psychologist, someone who isn't liscensed to prescribe drugs.

Part of the psychology field has determined that these disorders are a result of chemical embalances. Other scientists and psychologists don't believe this to be the case. Speaking as someone who has suffered through this my entire life, I can clearly say that I honestly believe in the chemical embalance theory. However, I refuse to take the medications out there because the ones I have tried do not help and only create a drug dependency problem for the user. I will not be a guinea pig so a psychiatrist and pharmacutical company can make money out the ass off of me. There are other ways to get through life. Which leads me to this thread.

Suicide is not something that "weak" people do. It's something that is a last resort, an end to misery, a breaking point of irrational thought and overwhelming emotions. I can tell when my hormones or biochemistry is off, I can feel it coursing through my body. It comes suddenly and out of nowhere, even if I'm really happy at the time. I then lose control of my emotions and rational thought. You feel like life is hopeless and nothing will ever get better. No matter what people tell you, things feel utterly hopeless and you feel completely alone like you're the only one in the world who feels like this. Call it irrational, but that's exactly what it is. The anxiety attacks are similar, but more physical. They come randomly as well and you're more physically attacked than emotionally. Your heartbeat becomes more rapid, your muscles tighten up, your breathing becomes shorter, and soon you're in tears and freaking out from all the physical pressure you're feeling (even if nothing in your life is stressing you out). The anxiety attacks are not the same as the depression and usually people who suffer from just anxiety problems are not suicidal, but many people who truly suffer from depression and bi-polar disorder suffer from anxiety attacks as well.

I want people to understand that it's not a choice to be that way. It often has nothing to do with what is wrong in your life, but when things are wrong or bad the problem is magnified x100 and that is when people get suicidal. It's like you can't see things clearly and after the attack of depression goes away (wether it be hours, days, weeks, months), you start to gain your rational outlook on the situation and realize how ridiculous your thought process was. You'd think the person would learn from this, however, when it comes back again (cus this problem never stops, it's a lifelong disorder), the same irrational thought comes back reguardless of what you've learned. Maybe that sounds utterly ridiculous to some people, but I'm telling you, something clicks in the brain and it's very uncontrollable and overwhelming.

And perhaps someone is telling you that they want to kill themselves in order to get your attention or to get any attention period, but should you shun them for that? Obviously it's something they desperately need and if you really do care about them, you'll find a way to work with them to the point where they don't require that attention from you in the future and get it from a more positive outlet. Most suicidal people simply want someone, anyone, to reach out to them and help them get their life together. Not just someone to tell them what they need to do, but actually motivate them and work with them because that truly shows that you're putting an investment into them and not just giving them "advice" cus everyone wants to give their advice (often mistaken for criticism by depressed people), but very few truly want to use their time to actually help the person. Maybe you think it's a waste of time to help that person, then do them a favor and don't make them trust you as a friend or loved one because there's nothing worse than feeling like you're being abandoned by those who you trust when you're in that condition. The one thing that will stop a suicidal person is knowing that they have someone who really loves them (not just someone who's a family member so by default they have to love you), someone who tells them every day and spends time with them on a regular basis. If you can't handle dealing with that type of person (because it is very difficult), then try to find someone who can if you do care about them.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=166821
Meagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:28 PM   #25
Kurupt

I agree with Deadscale, suicide is the puss way out. Why cut your life short because of a problem that can probably be fixed with time? I just don't understand...

I've known a few people who have tried to commit suicide, one of them was drunk driving with 3 of his best friends in his car. As you may have guessed, he crashed. Killed all three passengers in his car, he was the only survivor. He was sentenced to jail for a LONG time. Many times he tried to kill himself because he couldn't live with the guilt that he killed his friends...he got help and is recovering as you read this.

Just don't do it heh...there is a solution, but suicide is not the right one.